Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• I've got the 6 and am hearing the same noise. Dealer couldn't find the root cause because it only happens when the engine starts up from below 35 or so. I bought the car in April, but didn't start hearing the gurgling sounds until late November. Still no TSB :( No leaks seen.
  • winter2winter2 Posts: 1,798
    I purchased a 2010 Mercury Milan in early January of this year. I am generally satisfied with this car except with the transmission.

When it is cold, it shifts harshly for the first few miles and then settles down. I have made a comment to the dealer and they have told me it is due to the fact that the trans fluid is a non-synthetic. That kind of makes sense.

At 15K miles, I am going to change over to a straight synthetic trans fluid from Amsoil that meets the specs.
  • rav4manrav4man Posts: 21
    2007 Merc Milan Premier. Perfect car no noise
  • rav4manrav4man Posts: 21
    I bought this black beauty certified 42,000 Ford used $13,000 a year ago, the ford lots were full of them coming off 2 year leases. Has the heated tan/chocolate leather heated seats.
    I have noticed many of my male buddies ogling over this thing, they seem to be zeroing in this same car, either Fusion or Milan. cruises smooth on the highway at 28 mpg.
    Best used car out there, fusions and Milans, you can't go wrong.
    Never embassed to pull up to someones house driving American, I would last about 2 days
    staring at a Hyundi or Kia sign stuck on the steering wheel but that is just me.
  • podpod Posts: 176
    My 2010 Milan has the 17" wheel package with the painted hubcap covers. I had assumed that they were alloys or aluminum since the base model comes with 16" aluminum wheels but if I put a magnet on the inner rim (behind the plastic cover) it sticks. It wouldn't make sense to cover an alloy wheel with a plastic cover. Does this confirm my suspicion that they are steel wheels? What are the advantages of alloy over steel with respect to unsprung weight affecting handling or road noise?
    akirby, I know you are out there and know the answer. Thanks.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,691
    The order guide says the 7 spoke wheel is aluminum but the 5 spoke doesn't say either way so I assume it's steel.
    Thank you akirby. On reading I was surprised to find that for many OEM rims the aluminum rims are not significantly lighter than the steel. Some are as many as 5 pounds lighter but most are only a few tenths of a pound lighter. Apparently the explanations include: (1) the steel rims have stock removed (as large oval holes, etc.) in places which do not compromise their strength, and (2) the aluminum rims are not always 100% aluminum and donot have relief holes as part of their structure. I cannot locate the weight of the Fusion rims but would be interested if anyonwe has that arcane data. Since the steel rims are less likely to deform with a curb encounter (and lose the bead), in the end the steel may be preferable. I presume the Ford engineers made the decision that the steel 17" rims did not significantly compromise handling (via the unsprung weight load, etc.). I trust Ford engineers to be smarter than I am. I do intend to obtain a set of alloy rims with Continental 205/60/16 extreme winter tires (on CL for $250 total with only 6000 miles on them) as my winter option here in New England. Can't beat that price and who knows when big snow will visit the area between December and March. The OEM steel rims and the alloys are high offset 5 lug x 114.3 mm so the fit should be excellent. Beyond these specifications I don't think there are any other fitment considerations but would welcome an education if that is not the case.
    For any others who want to know:

replacement rims for 2010 Milan

offset=44mm
    hub bore diameter=67.1mm

A different offset will affect how far the outer surface of the wheel/tire comination stands out further than or is further in than the OEM rims. The OEM have a 44mm offset.

A center hub bore of 67.1mm will fit snugly (the size of the OEMs); larger bores will fit with centering rings; smaller bore hubs will not fit unless widened on a lathe which sounds like quite a nuisance and expense.
    I acquired a set of aluminum 16" rims with good snow tires (205/60/16) mounted on them and intend to use them this winter. How will the lack of the TPM sensor affect the dashboard display? Will the TPM logo light continuously? I do not intend to retrofit compatible TPM sensors to the snowtires unless that is necessary. I can ignore the lit logo but will the computer control system have an issue with this? Does the TPM system interact with the engine controls in any way to limit speed if it senses a low pressure situation? Will a TPM signal that is ignored eventually be recorded as a warranty violation with respect to maintenance, etc.
  • My temp guage goes to HOT when i am traveling in long hilly regions while going up hill,but back to normal going down hill. it is a 2008 Mercury Milan with only 29,000 miles,and this is 4th time i have had it back in to garage. They replaced thermostate once then replaced Temp. sensor,but did it again . Back in garage now and have had it for 9 days now & have not come up with a reason. Have been trying to find out about the Lemon Law for it here in Ohio. Thanks for any help.
    Under load and uphill are the circumstances that use extra power and generate extra heat, so I would assume the problem is that the car is actually overheating in those circumstances. I would guess the problem is that the cooling water flow is somehow limited. Kinked hose, faulty water pump (marginal output okay for usual conditions but insufficient for high power times), stuck thermostat (you ruled that out with replacement). I doubt the problem is in the sensor loop, more likely in the supply loop. My guess would be the water pump. Should be available at junk yards or on line for much less than dealer part. Likely a common part on all fusions and milans.
  • Let me start by admitting I'm am an anal whacko when it comes to squeaks, creaks, rattles, and buzzes in my cars and I'll chase everyone relentlessly with felt pads and silicone spray :)

I will be in the market shortly for a late-model sedan and the Fusion is on my shortlist. What are owner's experinces out there? Is the Fusion for me? My experience with Ford says no as I own a 2007 Mustang GT convertible and it's "typically American" with many noises but hey, it's a performance car, a convertible, and weekend fun driver so I can deal with it.

Thanks!
    I, too, love quiet. I selected the 2010 Milan (Fusion) for this reason. Compared to the Hyundai Sonata I also tested it was obviously quieter over road perturbations. I am pleased after 15,000 miles. I believe there is a general concensus that Fusion/Milan of recent vintage do not develop squeaks and rattles. Most NHV comes from the tire/road interface. I am pleased with the Michelins which were OEM but when it comes time to replace I had remarkable experience with the Assurance Comfortred on my prior Mercury Sable and will probably go that way to squeeze out a few less decibels. The Fusion is a quiet car compared to its midsized competition.
  • lostlost Posts: 64
    I have a 2010 fusion that I purchased in July 2009 and i have 20,000 miles on it now. I can honestly say that it does not have even a hint of any squeak or rattles or any other noise. it is a very tight car.
  • "sounds" good so far! Would really like to buy American for a change.
  • yanifyanif Posts: 4
    Does anybody know whether or when will Haynes or Chilton publish 2011 Fusion manual? Only on-line manuals from now on?
  • bbearbbear Posts: 10
    We have a 2010 Fusion, 4 cyl., with 36,000 miles. On idle and acceleration, the engine sounds coarse to me, much louder than a comparable Honda or Toyota. It's not missing, just not quiet and smooth like it was was when it was new. Any idea of what might be amiss? Otherwise he's been a great car. Thanks!
  • temj12temj12 Posts: 450
    This has been a common complaint regarding the 4 cylinder. I am surprised that you have not noticed this before now. It is good that you have not. I have the six and this is the reason that I did not want the four. I kept reading the complaints about how noisy it was when you accelerated.
  • triman666triman666 Posts: 4
    edited December 2011
    I bought this Ford Fusion 6 cyl SEL because Car and driver, Consumer Reports etc all chimed in about what a great car it is. Well before 30k miles I replaced the synch module twice and all the directional lights twice. At 40k miles the alternator went for $960 and last week the water pump was leaking. Fortunately it was covered under the drive train warranty because they had to take the car apart. The dealer has my car for lasts weekend and 6 more business days and they will keep it till Monday. so 11 days overall at a minimum. The maintenance manual says it should be 16 hours labor. The car has 52k miles on it and I have lost faith in the vehicle. My F 250, 4 wheel drive crapped out at 40k miles. I am done with American cars. Ford can my kiss back side. And whom ever said the Fusion is the car of the year is full of crap and should not be trusted again
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,691
    Yet hundreds of thousands of other owners don't have any of these problems.
  • Really I know a dozen people with Ford vehicles. One guy has an explorer with 3 transmission changes all under 50K miles. My best friends wife liked my Fusion so much they bought one and just lost the transmission at 24k miles. My wife had an explorer a few years back and it front axle problems below 40k miles. Yet her Honda has 130k miles with oil and transmission fluid changes being the biggest repair so far. Ford is an embarrassment. I will trade this car in as soon as I can and will probably never buy another Ford
  • This is funny, the dealer offered me a complimentary rental for the weekend (Very good people at the dealership BTW) It is a Nissan!!! ROTFL
  • wilcoxwilcox Posts: 581
    A loaner for you. That's nice of dealer to do.

But, I feel that some times when his (dealer) 'technicians' touch my vehicle they can screw up something else. At least that's the way it worked at Toyota...and others.

So while you are out there enjoying the 'free' loaner there is some monkey in the garage working on your own...and making it worse. It's not just Ford, it happens with all of them
  • I understand the dealer had my car torn apart and actually told me his guys had never done this particular job before and this was "A learning curve for them" I can't wait to see if blows up in the next couple of weeks. If I have another problem with it I will dump it
  • I'm having a similar problem with my 2011 Fusion, 4 cyl ., 33k miles .
    Did you find out the cause of your problem ? Thanks for any info you
    might be able to provide.
    About 6 weeks ago it was reported that 2010 and 2011 Fusions and Milans with 17" steel wheels were to be recalled because some of the lug studs were shearing off. Two cars lost wheels (at low speed) and something like 28 other cars has some sheared studs. The recall was supposed to occur on January 28th. I have not been notified. Does anyone have information on the state of this recall?
  • bbearbbear Posts: 10
    edited February 2012
    We were notified about a month ago & our '10 Fusion had it's studs replaced today. This recall also involves brake rotors. We had our original rotors replaced by our independent mechanic earlier because they were warped and our Ford dealer told us that Ford will reimburse us for our expense. That phone call is on my "to do" list.
    I enclose a quote from inside-line re the recall. I have not been notified and will have to check the date of manufacture of my 2010 Milan I-4 with steel 17" wheels (which have plastic covers to make them look like alloy).

"Ford is recalling 128,616 2010-'11 Ford Fusions and Mercury Milans equipped with 17-inch steel wheels because of a risk of wheel separation, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

"The wheel studs may fracture, potentially causing a wheel to separate," said NHTSA in its recalls summary of the problem. "While driving, multiple stud fractures could occur at the wheel location, and the operator may experience vehicle vibration and/or wheel separation, increasing the risk of a crash."

Ford Fusions and Mercury Milans equipped with alloy wheels are not affected.

The recall also includes 2,940 service steel wheels sold to dealers.

Ford said as of September 30, it was aware of one front wheel separation and five rear wheel separations, according to documents filed with the federal government.

The affected vehicles were built from April 1, 2009 through April 30, 2009 and from December 1, 2009 through November 13, 2010.

Ford dealers will inspect the rear brake disc surface for flatness and replace the discs. In addition, the wheel lug nuts will be replaced on all four wheels. The recall is expected to begin on January 24. Owners can contact Ford at 1-866-436-7332."

That is an excerpt from an inside line story maybe two months ago.
    I am curious why automobile engineers have not been able to provide a more linear fuel gauge. My experience in every car I have ever owned (including my present Milan 2010 I4) is obviously nonlinear. The mileage when the needle reads half full cannot be doubled to predict the mileage per tank. The mileage per tankful is markedly less than 2 x the half way value. It seems that the closer you get to the "E" marker the more quickly the needle drops. I think I understand why this happens if there is a float and the tank is narrower at the bottom but why haven't the same engineers who give blind-side warnings and lane crossing warnings figure out a way to electronically adjust for the shape of the tank. Or is there some other reason that I am missing?