Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Blazer GMC Jimmy Maintenance and Repair

Is anyone familiar with brand quality on after-market suspension parts? (ball joints, springs, etc.) Moog? McQuay Norris?

Comments

• 1995 Blazer. Started having a dead battery about 30 days ago. Put in new battery, same thing. If I do not drive it for about 3 days the battery is completley dead. I have checked all lights and doors are closed and Etc. What could be causing a battery drain?
    Wonpder@aol.com
  • Starting with the obvious... there's a short. However, finding it can be the old "needle in a haystack" exercise. You could have a shop look at it, but in my shoes I'd do that only as a last resort. They will rack up the hours ($$$$$) looking for it. I'd try finding it myself, first. Then, if that failed, I'd find someone who specifically deals in electronics. They'll find it way before an auto mechanic. I had a Honda that did this, but I never fixed it since the car rarely ever sat for three days.

Has anything happened to the vehicle electrically? Is the radio stock? Does it have an alarm? Poke around with a flashlight. Sometimes the insulation on some wire or connection will erode causing enough of a short to keep a small amount of current flowing, but not enough to trip a fuse. Try starting at the battery and following the system through. Good luck. It's the things that go "snap" or "clunk" that are easy to fix. Annoying problems like this one can drive you nuts.
  • No, not a thing new. Could the wireing on the trailor hitch case a problem. I never use it , the wires just hang there. I will give it a try my self. Did you ever hear of a diode in the alternater going bad and causing a leak.
  • Yes, that happens, too. A short can develop that could draw the charge back into the alternator. If nothing else on the truck has changed and it just all of a sudden started draining, that could be a culprit. An auto parts store with a good modern tester might be able to confirm or eliminate that theory for you. Although, if it's still the original alternator, it's on borrowed time anyway.
  • We just bought our new baby, and hoping none of these problems happen with the new vehicle. We bought it so we can pull it behind our RV, so it will not get a LOT of mileage.

Any comments on the 2001? We bought a LT 4WD.
  • Has anyone had this installed?

Code#: ZM5
    Shield Package (4WD)
    Includes transfer case and front differential skid plates, fuel tank and steering linkage shields.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    Are you talking about a skid plate pkg? It sounds like. Its just a metal cover under the truck that is bolted on to prtect the things you have listed. Its very nice and if you hit anything you wont tear up your drivetrain.

How much are they charging? If its under $100 go for it. I have a silverado with it and its nice worked already a truck blew a tire and i was on the receiving end of it. Checked when i got home at there was a rubber mark on them but thats all.

The silverados skid plate pkg is like $85.

Ryan
  • Yes, Ryan, that is what I was referring to. I requested it from the dealer, and they had it installed and didn't charge me.

My question is, he thought it was only one plate they installed, but this refers to "plates."
    i have 2 on my truck

1 for the trans and one for the front diff

Ryan
  • You can confirm the ALT leakage by taking a current measurement with a multimeter. Set the meter on its lowest scale and connect the leads between the neg line and the neg post on the battery. You have to remove the neg lead on the battery terminal in order to perform this (current is measured by breaking a circuit). In short, the meter wires will be between the neg battery and the neg lug. Take your initial reading (say .035A). Then, disconnect your hot lead from the ALT and see if the reading significantly drops (say .005A). If it does, the ALT is caputz. It is possible for a leakage of .030A to drain the battery in a few days. If the reading doesn't drop, start pulling fuses to isolate the circuit (radio, etc)

Once had a cavalier that kept killing batteries. Turned out to be the dang trunk light. Jerks who fixed my wifes car (after an accident) didn't set the liquid switch in the correct position. That one was a blast to figure out.

Good luck.
  • 60 days ago I had to drive 200 miles in 2nd gear
    since my transmission would only slip in high gear.
    The dealer sold me a new tranmission $2200.00.
    Last week , no high gear, the dealer claims the
    transmission clutch was burnt out. In both cases
    the SES light was intermittently on and off, not
    flashing. My air conditioner has failed recently
    also. The SES light has been giving me problems for
    the last 6 months, ever since the dealer updated
    the program to fix the ABS braking problem.
  • I have a 2000 blazer LS 4x4 2dr, and occasionally, the headlights flash off briefly while driving. dealer says they cant find a problem. knew they would say that. its a quick flashing, like a blink. just worried that some day they might flash off for good while im driving at night. would appreciate some input. Thanks
  • HEY PEOPLE, YA'LL HAVE GOT ME SCARED! MY WIFE AND I JUST TRADED IN A HONDA PASSPORT FOR A 2001 BLAZER. THE PASSPORT WAS DEFINATELY A PIECE OF CRAP. WE WANTED TO GET OUT OF IT DUE TO THE FACT THAT IT DOESN'T HAVE TETHER POINTS FOR BABY SEATS AND IT WAS HEADING DOWNHILL QUICKLY. TALK ABOUT SHODDY QUALITY. ANYWAY, WE WERE CONSIDERABLY UPSIDE DOWN BECAUSE OF THE HORRIFIC RESALE VALUE OF THE ISUZU/HONDA VEHICLE SO WE HAD FEW CHOICES. MY BROTHER-IN-LAW SELLS CHEVY'S AND WAS ABLE TO GET US INTO OUR BLAZER AT A REASONABLE PRICE. BUT NOW, I'M WONDERING IF WE DID THE RIGHT THING HERE. IN RETROSPECT, CAN YA'LL GIVE ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO AVOID THESE PROBLEMS (OTHER THAN NOT BUYING GM!) IT'S MY WIFE'S CAR AND SHE DOESN'T DRIVE A WHOLE BUNCH, BUT WE PLAN ON USING IT TO HAUL OUR POP-UP. GRANTED, THE BLAZER'S BRAND NEW, BUT IT JUST SEEMS SO MUCH MORE SOLID THAN THE PASSPORT, AND A HELL OF AN ENGINE! ALSO, HOW'S THE RESALE VALUE COMPARED TO OTHER SUV'S?

THANKS
    First off relax. Not all blazers have problems some do but the majority do not. You hear alot of horror stories on here because people want them to be known. How often do you hear good things about for example a store? You usually only hear the bad things. So far my mom has had her 00 LT 4x4 for 15 months and has a little over 10K miles. She doesnt drive it much. Only problem so far is a front diff seal leak that was taken care of in no time. Hopefully your blazer will be great. Oh yea before her 2000 she had an 87 which was factory ordered and she sold it this past may. 13 years 130,000 some odd miles only problem was a hose recall (actually a hose broke and we broke down). I see the truck everyyday at school thing still is running and looks great

Ryan
  • I seem to remember something in my manual that mentions that some vehicles lose their headlights for a moment when they are using their turn signals.

Ask to see a manual for the 2001 and look it up.
  • 777, You have got to be kidding me. What manual where you reading?? The owners manual? I certainly hope not. Lights should not go out with the turn signals on..period. Not trying to be rude...

Russ, I would suspect a bad ground or relay. Try "lightly" tapping your fuse box and light assy's.
  • mted23mted23 Posts: 16
    Most of the posts on this site are from people venting about their vehicles. I have a 99 Blazer LS with 37,000 miles on it in just under two years. The only problem was a squeeky door panel that was over tightened at the factory. The dealer fixed right away. By the way, we just had 12 inches of snow here in the Chicago area and the Blazer was excellent. I hope you have good luck with your Blazer.
  • No, I am not kidding. In the 2001 owner's manual, page 2-55, it says:

"The DRL (Daytime Running Lamps) system on some vehicles may turn off temporarily while the turn signals are activated."

I wouldn't fib, I might get coal in my stocking next week! LOL
  • mted23mted23 Posts: 16
    This is true of GM vehicles with the parking/turn signals as daytime running lights. Example: Camaro, Venture, Corvette, not the Blazer. These lights momentarily go out when the turn signal is cancelled and then comes back on constantly to be the DRL. For those who have asked: my 99 Blazer is excellent in the snow. I have OE Goodyear Wranglers and Auto-trac. Deep snow seems to be no problem when 4hi is engaged. This has been an unusually snowy December in the Chicago area and I am sure glad I have my Blazer.
    I hear ya about all this snow. I live in northwest indiana and we have been getting dumped on. How did your blazer come with goodyears? My moms came with crappy uniroyal. Hers is a 2000 LT with the premium ride? (best) suspension. Autotrac and 4 wheel high works great on her blazer and on my silverado.

Ryan