Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Blazer GMC Jimmy Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• i have 1998 chevy blazer,how can i get the check engine light to go out without fixing anything?
  • darrellwvdarrellwv Posts: 18
    If its the intake gasket could you still have an external leak ?
    The Cheverlet dealer in my area told me to turn the ignition on dont start .And pump the the gas 3 times all the way to the floor..I have a 96 Blazer having the same issue.He also said that was the code for 2000 and up, wasnt sure about later models.
  • repairdogrepairdog Posts: 948
    Auto stores will read the code, then try to sell you the part to fix it (optional), then have them clear the code. Its free and alot of them are sensor related so post the code so we can give you the fix - if you need help.
    Never heard that one on an S-10 Blazer - maybe a newer 02up Trailblazer model.
    Lower intake leaks are very common by 100k miles and can leak out the front between the intake and engine block and the drivers side is right behind the AC so start her up and watch for a leak after it warms up. Also common is the area between the valve cover and intake and then it runs off depending on parking angle. Get the free loaner radiator pressure tester at the local auto store and pump up the system and look for the leak.
    It didnt work on mine eather,But he did say he wasnt sure.Come to find out it was my fuel cap was defective apparently the tank has to hold a certain amout of pressure..
    You dont have to start it . It leaks when cold just pouring it in.Runs out as fast as i can fill it.You can also hear like air suction when filling the radiator.
    Look above the transfer case for a vac switch unit (97 earlier had them) - could be bad or lines rotted. Seen many posts on this and the front coupler engaging partially so search online.
    If it is that lower intake leaking do not drive it or you will blow the engine most probably at that extreme loose. Could also be going into the valley under the intake or if overheating could take a head gaskey out. Costs approx $500-600 at shop to fix due to over 5 hours labor and the parts - done 2 so far and with prep and cleanup and fixing other moinor things along the way both took me 9 hours. If you do not really have the knowledge get it done by a shop.
    Did you follow the new instructions on the alternator install cause they are polarized now and the sequence of connecting the terminals on the alternator is critical or you can reverse polarize it - have the store run the free test and see - or could have a bad IC in the new one - happens.
  • flryiteflryite Posts: 2
    covah23,

did you ever find a solution to your strange noise? I am experiencing the same thing (99 Blazer 4x4), exactly as you described. Thought it was tire noise, bought new tires, noise is still there. Wondered if you ever sussed out the problem.

When driving faster than 40 mph, the slightest turn of the wheel; and I get what sound like tire noise, or tire rubbing. The noise is loudest on the freeway when changing lanes. For me, the sound occurs in the right front tire when turning LEFT. I do not hear the sound when going slower than about 40 mph.

Anyone else have any ideas?
    The funny thing is it dosent overheat,its staying normal at about 200 degrees..That why I dont understand loosing so much coolent why isn't it overheating?And it's not pulling any out of my reserve tank.
    I also have a 98 blazer that the wipers seem to work when they want to not when you need them. They will go for 2 weeks not work at all then all sudden they start working for a couple days then it starts all over again . Anyone else had this problem?
    Common one - the circuit card in the wiper motor often has cracked or burnt paths on it and as it flexes it works or not. Card is under the wiper motor cover (3 torx screws) and is availble at dealer or many auto stores - you only need the card not the whole motor. Sometimes by pulling it out and cleaning the card and reinstalling and not over tightening the screws it works OK again - grease gets all over it. Seal the edges with silicon to keep water out. $50 part.
    98up have 1 piece sealed hubs and when the bearings start to go thats the classic noise - turn left and the right gets the load on it. To be sure jack the wheel up and spin it and if the hub grates or grinds replace it. For your 4wd jack up under the lower control arm so the CV axle isn't extended or hanging down - wheel doesn't turn too well if CV is in the full flexed position. Rebuilt axle is about $75 for the entire assembly - part only.
  • auto9999auto9999 Posts: 86
    I have a 2000 Blazer, Trailblazer trim, 4 door, 4WD, 55,000 original miles. Its ABS began to activate too sensitive in the last few months. When the vehicle gently slows down, at the last moment right before it comes to a full stop, ABS kicks in. The road is dry, and the vehicle did not have ABS activated until a few months ago in the similar conditions. ABS does not get engaged when the brake is applied while the vehicle is moving. It occurs perhaps a few times a day, but not always. What is the problem?
  • blaze4x4blaze4x4 Posts: 29
    (2001 blazer 101,500 miles)I've started feeling a harmonic type vibration that cycles during speeds of 55 and up. This morning after I reached the parking lot at work, with the window down while parking, I heard a squeaking noise as well. Sound like U-joints? I've looked at them before and they're not greaseable. Wheels and tires new and balanced. The vibration isn't felt in the steering wheel, but in the seat of my pritches.
  • jmaysjmays Posts: 2
    Ok here we go I got a humming noise coming from the front end while going done the road. no bangs or pops and is fine when turning. I got new tire now because i thought it was the old ones making the noise.also new shocks brakes and rotors and calibers. I check the cv joints they got aliitle play in them. I drove the car in circles no popping or clicking. this is driving me nuts I even engaged the 4 wd drive a few time and no difference.
    4wd so check the front diff and see if its full 80w90 gear oil. Could also be transfer case so check that. Then theres the 1 piece hubs but have to jack it up and feel the grate/grind in them.