Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Blazer GMC Jimmy Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Hello all, I've checked the board and can find no reference to this problem. Maybe someone can help. I purchased a used 1998 Chevy Blazer 4X4 4 dr.w/46k miles. Truck works great except for one thing. After a 250 mile trip with the cruise on I notice that the truck suspension seemed to be squeaking when I went over bumps or pot holes, or even turned the steering wheel. I immediately took it for a major lube job at which time they said that there was no power steering fluid in it. I had all fluids filled and chassis lubed. Only it is still happening. I took it to the dealership (where it is still under bumper to bumper) and they had it for a day and a half and could not find a problem and could not make it squeak. Now it is doing it intermittently. It is really a pain to be out of the truck while they tell me nothing is wrong. Has anyone else had this problem or can anyone give me any advise.

Thanks.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    what kinda gas are you running (87 octane?)
  • i have a problem, my 1998 gmc jimmy wont go into 4wd,whether im parked, driving or even in neutral.the 4hi wont work no matter what i do. But 4lo works only when im stopped and i shift the car in neutral. is something wrong.anybody have or had this problem, also can this problem be costly. please reply??
    do you have the manual 4wd shifter or electronic?
  • its electronic push button.theres 2hi,4hi, and 4lo. when i push 4hi it doesnt engage,but 4lo will engage if im stopped and the car is in neutral.i dont know whats up with it, i know theres a problem but is that normal for that to happen.?????
    nope doesnt sound normal

Might need a whole new unit. Bad connection?

Did you get any service 4wd light on your dash?
  • Yes, Actually I was using 87 Octane. I filled it yesterday w/I think 89? Middle of the road fuel.I will give that a chance to work through, but I did catch that little ping as I came to a stop a couple of times last night. Do you think maybe I should add some cleaner to the fuel as well & use the highest grade gas? Thanks for your help w/this!!!!!
    Stick with 87 (manual recommends).

How many miles do you have? If its low miles i wouldnt be dumping any cleaner in there.

Do you go to the same gas station every fillup?

Might have just got some bad gas.
  • For the the 4Wd problem, my 1996 would shift into 4 high but not 4 low (it would 'try' but then go back).
    Long story short, I took it in and they had to replace the computer encoder, I think that is what is was called. I was not too thrilled since the vehicle only had 45k miles and the repair was around $700.
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but my brother's 96 sounds like an old bed going down the street, seriously. I took it to Midas (it has 80k, out of warranty, terrible dealer) and they said one of the rear leaf springs was cracked, that I needed to take it to a 'spring shop' and have them rig it. Whatever, never had it fixed, though it is a little better since I had a oil change/lube, but not completely gone.

Honestly, I just hope nothing catastrophic happens to this thing until he's not upside down. He bought this thing used in 98 w/almost 40k miles on it, probably not the brightest thing to do, it won't be paid off til like 2003.
  • while driving or in park, i would push the 4hi button and nothing happens, when it is in neutral and im stopped the lights go off but it wont engage to 4hi it just stays in 2hi. but if i try 4lo in neutral it does engage, weird i know.
  • Thanks, I did go back to the 87. Generally I fill up at the same station each week. The Blazer is brand new w/5000 miles on it. Must be the little quirk for this vehicle, I cannot seem to find a link to the problem no matter what I do. If you hear of anything or have any other suggestions let me know & thanks again.
  • spoomspoom Posts: 85
    continuation of #97 & #109 re: 97 jimmy
    I got word from a friend that GM had issued "Campaign Bulletin" #01048 regarding '96-'97 upper ball joints separating with no warning. It was for Jimmy/Blazer/Bravada registered in 21 states, all of them northern US so I'm guessing salt related? Anyway, I go to my dealer to tell him that it already happened to me 2 mo. ago and he looks up my VIN and says I'm not included. A '97 Jimmy bought new in the fall of '96 and it's not included???!!! I called the 800 GM customer service number from my manual and we'll see what happens. In the meantime folks, please have your trucks checked out. At 25 mph the inside of my wheel was cut through enough in one block for the tire to start losing air through the wheel itself. At highway speeds do you think you could get off the road in one block?
    ¿spoom
    oh yea, forgot to mention that my ABS light came on 3 days ago. Trouble code scan says " front left wheel speed sensor". If I do get any reimbursement from the ball joint falling apart I can spend it on the braking system. In the meantime I had to unplug the wheel sensor so it kils the ABS during the start up system check instead of having limited braking after each ign off/on sequence. I have never had a vehicle experience like this, even with my old beater cars as a kid.
    ¿spoom
    GM says "too bad" my truck isn't covered under the recall 'cause it was made in a different plant with ball joints from different supplier. Guess nobody told the ball joints. ABS was "just" the wheel speed sensor. I couldn't get one from an aftermarket place so I had to give the dealer $55 for one. At least it was simple to put in. Looks like I'll ignore the wiper problem and gas guage 'til I hit the lottery :)
    ¿spoom
  • qdiscqdisc Posts: 29
    Latest problem with my 96 Blazer: the AC. It won't stay on! When I turn it on, it will engage for 1-2 seconds, I can hear it and feel the engine rev higher, then it disengages for 4-5 seconds and repeats, over and over and over. Anyone with any advice on what this might be, how much it might cost me? My wife is truly ready to kill me as she wanted me to get rid of it 6 months ago when it had other problems, but I naively held on to it.

Thx in advance

Q
  • Q

Sounds like the system is low on freon. Had the same problem with my 97 S10. Took it to an independent garage. He checked for leaks (none) and recharged the system. Cost was about $70. Been working great for 10 months now....

Dave
  • qdiscqdisc Posts: 29
    Cool. Makes me feel better that that may be all it is.

thx Dave

Q
  • I had the same problem w/99 Jimmy - annoying squeak going over speed bumps etc. Service write immediately knew it was the rubber cushions on the springs - problem totally resolved - 28000 on warranty - it was $20 parts and 150+ labor inc. alignment. seems to be a regular/known problem.
  • i have a 94 jimmy with electronic transfer case.when i start my vehicle both indicator lights come on;as it's supposed to.when u push switch to 4hi,nothing happens.if you put the transmission into neutral ,push switch into 4wheel, the hi/low indicators just blink.