Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Blazer GMC Jimmy Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• boat10boat10 Posts: 59
    Anyone out there had problems with the oil cooler lines going to the radiator???? I had one to burst........WHAT A MESS!!!!!....... The general has ordered new parts. Mine is a 2000 4x4 LT and has 13000 miles on it. I live in Tennessee and would not be without my BLAZER..
    This is my 6th one..started buying in 1983 when they came out, renew every three years.absolutly love them, there are times the wife takes it away from me so she can do her hauling. Has anyone seen any specs on the new 2002.. many changes it looks like, new motor, new body style..
  • mted23mted23 Posts: 16
    Ryan,
    There is a small handful of Blazers that come standard with Goodyears. I bought mine from dealer stock in Frankfort IL. I choose my Blazer from several of the same equipped Blazers because of the Goodyears. Not only are they good in snow but they are decent in some light off road use and very good in the rain.
  • News from GM... extended warranty, although for only CA residents...

http://forums.vmag.com/suvbrav0199/messages/143.html
  • Just got a 1999 Chewy Blazer AS 4D 4WD and I am trying to get used to it. First in 2WD I notice that it rolls back slightly when I'm on a hill and I take my foot off the breaks to give it gas. Is this slippage in the trans? Also, In 4WD I feel alot of resistance in my turns like when I'm pulling into my driveway. Is this normal?
  • I recently had oil cooler lines replaced on a 1999 Blazer LT due to minor oil leakage. The service tech informed that this is not too uncommon and he has seen this numerous times.

I have found that the Auto Trac system is wonderful in the Minneapolis snow and slush. My only complaint regarding my Blazer is that as the cold temperatures descended on Minnesota; my gas mileage seemed to fall off from 17.5 highway to around 15 mpg.

I am very pleased so far.
  • Hi,
    Well I dont have a blazer yet.. but January the 1st or so My Granfather is supose to take me to go get one.I already talked to the guy and its a 1996 2dr white abs 4.3 vortec. Wondering a few things How much Gas mileage will I be looking at and where can I find really neat accessories like extra things such as inside lights and stuff to really make it neat and different but not have to spend a fortune. Thanks for your time.
    Lonnie%0
  • Blazer is synonymous with trouble. My family has had
    two over the last five years. The worst vehicles we've ever
    owned. Like it or not, our new Four-Runner is hands down
    a better vehicle. About fifty times better. Unless you enjoy
    replacing two year old transmissions and having constant
    fluid leaks.
  • I have a 2000 Blazer and the 4wd electronic engagement is out for the second time in 4 months. It will go into 4low but not 4hi. First time, the dealer said it was the electronic module. This time they say it is an electronic motor control AND the module. BUT, there are no spare parts anywhere in the U.S. and they have no idea when parts will be available. They told me this is a common problem this time of year but normally affects '95 and '96 models and not as many newer ones. So, this means this has been going on for five years and GM has not done anything about it. And, it is apparently very common as the parts supply is already exhausted. Anyone else had this problem? Statistics say you are out there somewhere!

The other problem I had was the back glass would not lock. It would latch but not lock. It took three trips to the dealer before they determined it was another electronic module in the driver's door that was bad. Then there was the fix for the 4wd last Aug. Now, it has been in once to find out there are no parts and will go again to finally (hopefully) get it fixed again. So, once I go one more time to get the 4wd fixed, it will make a total of six trips to the dealer for warranty service in one year.

John near Indianapolis
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    The 95 and 96 pushbutton 4x4 system is different than a 2000's 4x4 system. The 2000's system was released in 1999 its called autotrac. The pre 1999 version is instatrac. THe S-10's still use the old system but the blazers, tahoes, and silverados have switched over to auottrac. Its a great system the auto button is really good in rainy weather.

Did they ever say anything about a solenoid? Ive heard of those going bad

Ryan
  • opicdopicd Posts: 1
    I'll add my 2 cents here ... my 4wd hasn't been reliable for 2 years. Two transfer case repairs (one complete overhaul), two automatic trans rebuilds, numerous "minor" problems like wipers stop in downpour then go on when not turned on.

Bought a new 97 blazer in 11/97 thought it was deal at $19k but have put $4k in repairs. Today the dealer said the fluid leak is caused by bad water pump and needs $600 in repairs.

Anyone want to top this story?

PS Chevy customer support said all this stuff happens all the time and ....don't expect any assistance from them.
  • I have a '93 Blazer 4x4 with the 4.3L vortec engine, bought used in 1997 with 77k miles. I have been pretty happy with it and now have 113k on it, but there have been some repairs needed. Most recently while visiting Northern Virginia it began to run rough and seemed like it was going to stall, then the "Service Engine Soon" light came on. Facing a 7 hour drive home, I took it to a local shop to get checked out.
    After a $70 diagnostic, they told me I needed a new EGR valve. Ok, but they charged me $362 for the part alone! The total repair came to over $600. Does this seem right? I went to an Advance Auto here at home (Rochester, NY) and was qutoed a price of $43 for a new EGR valve, and after looking at a manual, it seems a repair I could have done myself. I am thinking I was taken advantage of because I was from out of town and needed the repair to drive home.
    Also, I was recently told I need oil cooler lines repaired: $200 to repair the seals; $300 if they need to replace the lines. This seems high to me as well. Anybody have info on these repair prices?
    Thanks!
  • Your first question depends on which type of EGR you have. I'm not familiar with that one first hand, but there are two types of valves used on some of the Blazer in the early 90's. One is the regular cheaper one and the other is much more expensive (retail is around what you were quoted). Supposedly it's a much better valve whereas the other has more of a tendency to crap out more frequently. So, don't beat up on yourself too much unless you've verified that the parts store quoted you the right one. If they charged you $300 for the regular one, yes, you got taken, and on the labor, too. The more expensive one is also more labor-intensive to change out. As for the cooler lines (and should usually be the case with expensive repairs), you should get a second opinion. Some places will do a good repair for less and still get the basic repair accomplished without trying to "restore" an old truck.
  • Looking at a Pewter 98 LS 4 Door with 40,000 miles on it. Dealer price $18,000. What is a good price to hit him with? What problems should I look for? Do I gain anything appreciable other than cosmetics by going to a '99? This one has the 5 spoke wheels with worn 235/70R15 tires. What are the biggest tires I can put on these? Can I get 255/75R15? How about 30X9.50 or 31X10.50 tires? Do I need a lift kit to mount these? Are lift kits available? I plan on doing some exploring this winter and summer, and want some good clearance. Also, anyone have experience with aftermarket header/exhaust/chip for power/mileage improvements? Thanks in advance.
  • Just recently bought a 2000 Blazer LS "program" car with 14,000 miles. The dealer had 5 and this was the best. I like the vehicle so far, but I don't like the "feel" of the rear suspension. It has the standard suspension and it feels like the rear end would like to skip a bit on rough surfaces, although I don't think it really has. I don't really do any off road driving other than some dirt roads when I go fishing. Any advice on a good replacement shock that would tighten up the feel on the rear end? The front seems pretty solid. Any problem, given the mileage, on replacing the rear shocks without doing anything to the front suspension?
  • I recently bought a 2000 LS (same color as yours) with 14,050 miles for $20,900. Vehicle is like new (as it should be). If you go to large Chevy Dealers they will likely have some 2000 "program" vehicles (come out of rental or loaner fleet) for really good prices compared to new, 200l vehicles. Usually discounted $8 - $10,000 from original sticker price. I've seen some 2000 program Blazers as low as $17,900.
  • My 1996 Blazer has just recently started giving me problems with the fad engaging. after 4 trips to the dealer service department they finally got it repaired. My blazer only has 18,000 miles on it and recently have had more problems. air conditioning went out, alternator just went out, have replaced front brake pads 3 times.
    HOWEVER!, I contacted Chevrolet customer service
    and because of the low miles on this vehicle, they have agreed to take care of these problems for me.
  • jlaszlojlaszlo Posts: 30
    Just bought a 2001 2dr Blazer. So far, so good. The incentives on them right now are too good to pass up.
  • tonychrystonychrys Posts: 1,310
    Make sure you take all that money you saved and invest it for out-of-warranty repairs.

Also, the reason why they are so cheap is because the whole product line is being wiped out and redesigned. The resale on models prior to 2002 will go down dramatically.

I too almost bit at all the incentives, I'm not that desparate.
  • Just wondering if anyone has had this problem before... On my '98 Blazer, when the turn signals shut off, the relay behind the glove box door still clicks. When I hit the brake, it stops clicking then will start up when I let off. Note: the turn signal lamps flash as they are suppose to (only "on" when the lever is in the up or down position), but in the neutral location, the stupid relay keeps intermittently clicking after they are turned off. I'm thinking it is in the switch in the steering column ($170 + labor ouch), thanks for any help. Any help would be greatly appreciated, feel free to e-mail me directly mcpherson@alumni.union.edu