Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Blazer GMC Jimmy Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• rivercardrivercard Posts: 2
    Thank you for your advice and time. I'll check it out.
  • 89blue89blue Posts: 2
    My Jimmy will not stay running. When I drive home from work, park, then want to leave again, it will not keep running. It seems like a fuel problem. Like it isn't getting enough. When I get it to run enough to put in park, it jerks alot. Usually after it runs for a while it does fine. What could this be?
  • richleerichlee Posts: 2
    Have a 1996 blazer. The dashboard vents DO NOT blow air and I hear slight hissing noise. HOWEVER, the lower vents blow air just fine. I switch from A/C to no A/C and it's the same. Blows air at the lower leg area vents but none from the dashboard vents. I tried looking for loose hoses but cannot find any.

I do hear the fan working and it does blow air at the lower sections.
    any ideas? thanks
  • richleerichlee Posts: 2
    hi - were you able to find out what the problem was? i just encountered the same. I checked the hoses and all seem to be ok. I hear a slight hissing sound when it's on. not sure if you have the same. please let me know if you have any add'l info. thanks
  • fasfanfasfan Posts: 3
    Sounds like the same problem I had with my 94. Almost. My problem was it would run fine and then the check engine light would come and at low idles it would stall and lose all power. If I shut it down for a while it would start up and be fine for a while. Error code was 32. I replaced the EGR valve and had no further problems in that area. Had an unrelated problem with it not starting when hot.
  • fasfanfasfan Posts: 3
    Bought a 97 Blazer. No trailer connection, but had a bundle of wires where one was. I am looking to put a new connector on there and found that I have too many wires. There are 8 wires. I cannot find any info on the net telling me what those 8 might be for. Anyone have any idea? I was thinking trailer brake but isn't that 7?
  • ddcollinsddcollins Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 s10 zr2 that is doing the same thing. Could some one please help me as well?

thanks
  • nealh1nealh1 Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a 2000 GMC Diamond edition. Would not trade it for anything.
    Great car.

nealh1
  • auto9999auto9999 Posts: 86
    In case you did not make a decision yet I wanted to put in my 2 cents. I have a 2000 Blazer 4WD Trailblazer trim bought new which now has 50,000 miles on it.

I too have experienced some of the troubles found in this forum. This vehicle is not the most reliable vehicle and chances are you will nickel and dime to maintain your vehicle. Fortunately I have purchased the manufacturer's extended warranty 6 year/60,000 miles so my out of pocket expenses have been minimal so far.

Good thing for a buyer is that the used car price of Blazer seems to be lower than other mid-size SUVs, which would leave you some money for possible future repairs and maintenance. Good luck on your decision.
  • I have recently encountered some problems with my jimmy. It started out as hard to start in the morning. Now when run for a while it starts sometimes, not always though. I have replaced a battery and the coil. I am stumped on what the problem is. Any suggestions out there?
  • It wont start at all now. :cry:
  • turbo5turbo5 Posts: 2
    Yeah, I think I might be having the same problem. I got a 93 Jimmy with 96k on it.
    whenever it sits for about 8 or more hours(usually the mornings), it has trouble starting. when it finally does start a cloud of white smoke shoots out of the exhaust. This leads me to believe that oil is getting into my fuel somehow and is burning off when it finally starts. are you losing any oil pressure? i am but can't find where the hell its going.probably a leaky valve . let me know if you find anything out. dcblake69@yahoo
  • I dont get any smoke when it did start. I was reading through these forum questions and may be leaning toward the throttle body but I am not sure. Do you have any chilton manulas or anything to go along with your jimmy? :confuse:
  • I have a 96 blazer 2 yrs ago I had a problem braking and the mechanic replaced the Power Booster. Again yesterday its like pressing my foot against a brick wall to stop. My brother said to ask about a vacuum leak? or does it sound like the power booster again. I am in philly pa...being a single mom of 3, I cant afford another $800.00 mechanic bill...any info would be greatly appreciated!!!
    ( we bled the brakes to make sure but still the same thing)
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,818
    Check out Stop here! Let's talk about brakes too.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• helmetgovhelmetgov Posts: 1
    My 94 Blazer was running fine on Friday, but Friday night there was no power from the transmission. I checked the trans fluid which was low, so I put a quart in and it started to run fine for 4 blocks. Then the same thing happened again, no gears worked. I turned off the car and started it back up and it worked for a couple of blocks. Please tell me this won't cost a fortune!
  • ohlerohler Posts: 1
    My Jimmy is @ 125K. There is a rattling coming from the left side as I turn at speeds of 35+. Rattling has been getting worse over the past 2 weeks. No sound when turning slowly.
    The front left tire was leaking air and was pulling the car to the left. Tire was patched. Can also feel tire rotation within the car at high speeds, like when accelerating onto the highway.
    Brakes, pads and rotors were replaced last year. I just sunk $1500 into the 4 wheel drive system in March, $1500 last August for brakes. I'd really like to not pay alot again to get this fixed. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • rambo41rambo41 Posts: 8
    I have a new 2005 Jimmy from day one this vehicle shakes as soon as I hit the 100-110 kmh speed...It has been in several times and the problem can not be figured out...They have replaced all 4 tires checked the drive shaft , tranfer case, rear end and other things....There are 8 vehicles just at the dealership with the same problem and 7 more at another in town ..I was wondering if anyone else has this problem with their 2005 Jimmy....Thx.. :confuse:
  • zazo73zazo73 Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 2001 Jimmy. It seems as though every time it gets hot outside (90 degrees and up) the car stalls. It does act like vapor lock, and gets progressively worse the more I drive it. I've been reduced to not driving at all on hot days. I've tried premium fuel and fuel injector cleaner, but nothing has worked. If you come up with a solution please let me know. Thank you!
  • I have a 2000, didn't come with the anchor system...I believe 2001+ models all came equipped with them. For anyone who has used the anchor systems, you know how much easier (and maybe safer) they are...especially if you are always moving a car seat from one vehicle to another. My question is if its possible to get the anchor system installed after the fact. Can this be done from the dealer? Has anybody had this done?

Thanks guys!
  • well, i hate to tell you, but I have a 1999 GMC Jimmy, and I put just about everything into it, 2 months ago, I bought a new transfer case and now I have a rattling, I thought it was the new tires that I just bought, I egnored it because I hated the thought that I would have toput more money into it. I took it to a garage and now I need auto hubs. Which is about a $800.00 job. I have replaced so many parts in this vehicle that I paid for it over and over and am still paying for it. Ihope your problem isen't as servere as mine, but I think we both have lemons. GOOD LUCK!
  • flexyflexy Posts: 5
    I have had the exact same problem the vibration was so severe that it has eaten out my transfer case's rear bushing. My Jimmy is a 2005 as well. I am know waiting for the district service manager to come and check it our him self but he only comes into our area once a month and I'm told I'll be waiting till mid September. While I'm waiting I'm going to take it to every dealer that will look at it. I'm even thinking of getting the local paper involved and a lawyer. I was a die hard chev man now I'm thinking Toyota!!!!!!!!! :mad:
  • Just an update. The problem was caused by some rusty wire coming out of the computer; which created an electircal short. A 6" slice fixed all its ails.
  • Sporadic trouble with my 97 Blazer (automatic trans) at high speeds on the freeway. It's like it won't shift into OD sometimes, and if it stays above 2000 rpms long enough, the SES light turns on. If I keep the SES light from coming on, when I pull off the freeway and shift from 1st into 2nd, the shift is really rough. Is it a transmission issue? I've taken it to a couple of places when the SES light is on, and no one seems to be able to tell me what the problem is (one time I was told it was a cylinder misfire?). This is a particular problem going up hills, but does not happen constantly and the SES light turns itself off after a while. I am sick of this happening and ready to have the transmission yanked and painfully dissected. Can anyone tell me what the issue is? I am female and can't fix anything or speak car-speak, but I can get my way with mechanics.
  • rambo41rambo41 Posts: 8
    flexy.

What area are you from I am in Kamloops B.C. Canada..

Thx... :blush:
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    What diagnostic trouble code numbers have been retrieved? If there's a stored P1870, this is usually the cause:

http://www.transmissionspecialty.com/parts/parts/77805.htm
  • flexyflexy Posts: 5
    I'm live London Ontario Area if you would like to email me please use rcooke@quadro.net
  • I don't know what codes have been retrieved, unfortunately. But from the reading I've done here, that may very well be the problem. Is that costly to repair? Transmission shop kind of thing, or can I take it to a general mechanic? No dealerships for me...
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Best bet is to take it to an independent transmission shop. The dealers will want to replace the valve body, and general repair shops won't have the specialized knowledge or tooling required to perform the repair.