Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Blazer GMC Jimmy Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Yoou're welcome! Good luck with it.
  • I'm hoping I don't have a bigger problem. I ran my Blazer out of gas - then put 2 gallons in it - turned it over and it wouldn't start. The starter was cranking and the electrical seems fine. Any suggestions? Is this one of those cars that needs to be put on an incline or decline to get the gas to have a little head start after running out? Thanks.
  • Have the wiring harnesses off the computer checked. I had a similar problem with the gauges and lights, but the truck would also shut-off. It turned out that 3 wires on the harness were exposed and causing a short-circuit. This may be the case with your truck too.
  • While driving the other day my 98 jimmy lost power and i coasted to the side of the road where it then died. I wasn't able to get the truck to start after that. after getting it home I replaced the fuel filter and check the fuel pump all seemed good. When i tried to start the car would turn over and unsteadily idle for about 30 sec or so and when the accelerator was pressed it would die. After finding the locations of the ignition control I decided to disconnect the module and attempt a start. it acted the same just cranked and no turn over. With this what should I replace first the ignition module or the coil? Or would it be something else? I don't have access to a diagnostic reader so if any one knows how to jumper the connector to get a reading through the display let me know.

Thanks
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Is the check engine light on? What's the fuel pressure reading? Is there a hot, blue spark when using a spark tester? Guessing and throwing parts at it gets expensive in a hurry.

"I don't have access to a diagnostic reader so if any one knows how to jumper the connector to get a reading through the display let me know"

Nope. A code reader or scanner is required.
  • Jeff, I checked all the fuses under the dash and under the hood.......all are fine.
    You can hear the lock working...actuator and sylenoid seem to be going good....replaced batter in key module just in case...didn't work. it is as if the glass part is just jammed for some reason. You can not take the back pannel off without opening the gate......am I just out of luck?? :(
  • I also have a similar problem with my 2001 blazer. I was changing oil a few months ago and the transfer case suddenly shifted into 4LO. After several attempts I got it to shift only back into AUTO4x4 (trans in neutral). Once in AUTO4x4 pushing 2HI sends it directly back to 4LO. 4HI button has no response. Finally I removed the battery cable for 5min or so and 2HI was then entered with no button pushing. I made this problem go away for awhile by removing the red + positive battery cable and cleaning all the corrosion on the cable end. I scraped the corrosion off with a flat blade screw driver and a steel brush until I saw bright copper cable end. Then I drove for 5min and the service 4x4 light didnt come on, so I tried all the 4x4 modes and they all worked perfectly. But this problem today came back to haunt me. I wish I could tell you more about a perminent repair without going to an expensive dealership. Unless you have found a repair since your problem has occured. ">link title
  • Could anyone one tell me where the egr valve is located on My 94 S10 Blazer. I am having problems with it stalling out and dieing so I replaced the fuel fiter and the PCV plug. But now the car wont even start. So I am going to try to clean the EGR valve and put in the Tomco screen. Thanks so much for the help.

Heather
  • i have a 98 chevy s-10 blazer and my wipers work ocassionally and sometimes it doesnt work at all what to i have 2 do.Can any1 plz help me
  • Good day everyone.

I own a 1999 GMC Jimmy 4x4, 4 dr. 4.3 and last week the overheat warning came on while I was driving on I-95. The vehicle over heated and died before I could pull over. I had it towed home and replaced the water pump, thermostat, flushed the radiator, changed the oil and spark plugs. After all of that my vehicle will not start. It cranks but will not start. There was no radiator fluid in the oil and no oil in the cooling system. The Hayes repair manual does not seem to help much so can anyone please assist me in this major problem?

• not out of Luck. you've got to go inside and pry back the plastic panel. Be careful you might break the lift handle like i did. Then you can use a flat tip screwdriver to get the back glass open, be careful. When you get it open you can pry the panel back a little more and get your hand down inside. find the plunger thing. there a piece of plastic that hold the batting arm next to the plunger. if its broke . rig it with a metal clothes hanger. Once you get the door open and unscrew the panel you will be able to figure all of that out. Just remember. Metal Clothes Hangers and Duck Tape can fix almost anything. for awhile anyway.
  • check your primary ingnition wire going from the coil to the distributor...I have found the wire to rub on the heater hose eventually arcing out and short circuting.
    Remove the plastic air intake cover and try to strat your engine (have someone else crank it) you'll see the spark arcing across to the heater hose. Put a new wire on and insulate it by covering it with a 3/8" dia rubber hose where it contacts the heater hose. It's arcing out to the water in the hose.
  • check oyur primary ignition coil wire...it's probably arcing out on the heater hose...
  • kmbkmb Posts: 1
    started fine, driving along, came to a stop, while making a lh turn it began to spit and sputter, then died and rolled off to side of road! Turned ignition and just won't turn over to start (recent new battery, ac compressor). Took spark plug wire off a spark plug, stuck a screw driver in end if spark plug wire and held next to engine block, turned ignition and spark is orange, very low and weak. It just won't catch! What's do you think? Ignition coil? Any ideas...
  • Just curious if you ever found a solution to this problem. My 98 Blazer is having this issue now after having the alternator replaced last week. I've carried it back to the shop and the mechanic replaced the blend motor, but the problem still exists. I suspect something under the hood because we didn't have this problem BEFORE the alternator was replaced. The climate control appears to be working to the degree of changing the fan motor speed based on changing the settings, but regardless of the environment and settings, the air is always HOT now and the compressor is still running and the refrigerant lines are cold.
  • check your primary ignition coil wire to see if it is rubbing against the heater hose...this will cause a significant problem as the wire has a tendancy to ground out and screw up your ignition .
  • I have the same situation as you with the tank fuel pump running even with the car turned off. I changed relay and the problem still exists, any suggestions as to what may be the problem? I have a 95 Blazer. Please help
  • Hey Kevin,
    My 1998 Chevy Blazer has been doing this for the last 5 days. Man, I have been to several auto-electrical shops and have replaced the flasher twice.
    Your explanation has been the best and makes the most sense of all. Just when I had reached the end of my rope. Thanks for the knot. I'll get back with you to let you know how it worked out. Peace out. Ebs57