Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Jetta GLI vs Honda Civic Si

Comments

• eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    totally agree; hondas are very plug and play. I remember when i bought my rabbit and i had a long session with the manual. But like you chris, i like that kind of thing.

I would love an si sedan, but a gti 5 door is probably in the works for me.

Thats cool that you still get to mess around with the tl, its like having the best of both worlds.

Does your girlfriend ever size you up with her ride? ;)
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Instead of typing the img tags, click once on the Img button under the post box, paste your URL and then click the Img button again. That will create the right syntax for displaying your picture. :)
  • erok22erok22 Posts: 9
    Thanks hopefully this works.....

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Sure did work - great pics! :)
  • erok22erok22 Posts: 9
    Thank you very much! ;)
  • sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,108
    tslbmw had a good point by saying you should change your stance (japanese vs Euro) every once in a while to see what the other one gives. I also have been from Acura integra (gsr) to vw jetta gli (2003 vr6) to now 2007 g35x and i have to say The VW/audi thing just does not work-- sure they have some cool interiors --the turbo's have been tuned and raced --the Quatro has been winning races for year on mountains far away for 25 years but when it comes down to it what do 90% of drivers want out of there cars? well...i would say they want them to start each morning -they don't want electronic problems or coil issues.. if you considering a VW or AUDI buy new and do not keep the car past the 4 years they give you.. :D
    the mkV jettas and rabbits/gti's have been doing very well reliabilty wise. But as your post has proven, reputations don't change over night, even if they are deserving. :(
  • jcoryjcory Posts: 17
    I realize that I'm a sucker for black cars... but I'm not going to lie... that is one beautiful car.
  • I know 3 different people who own VW's they all love and hate them. They are great, although you do pay for it both up front and continuously for repairs. The Si will cost you at least $5000 less and won't break... ever- VW usually has the worst reliability but people still like them so that says something...
    yeah it does. as great as honda's are though, you'd be hard pressed to find bad information (well outside of a few people complaining on websites like these) about ANY mkV vw's. They have wholeheartedly improved.
  • GET A CIVIC Si coupe! or sedan i suppose. Ive had a Si coupe for 8 months, absolutely perfect car. You can drive it around like a everyday car, gets 29-32 mpg on the freeway, then if you want to have some fun, its all there for ya. The handling is absolutely perfect, and doesnt suffer under-steer like other front wheel drive cars. seats are very comfortable and are wider than most seats do to the widened body of the car, great lower back and neck support. Shifting is a breeze and quite fun to roll through the gears. The car comes with features you find on high end luxury cars, and they all come standard. Digital display dash, Front AND rear side impact airbags, one touch sun roof and windows, and if you get the touch screen/ voice activated navigation system, youll never get lost. all around best car with great reliability and will last you much longer than say a vw or mazda or really any american built car lol. :D good luck to ya, get a Si
  • i like vws too, i used to have a jetta, excellent car, never broke down or anything, and thats a nice looking Gli. not quite as nice as my Blue pearl Si tho :D
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Posts: 690
    will last you much longer than say a vw or mazda or really any american built car lol

Must be a newbie.

As someone who currently owns 3 VWs (5 total over 25 years) and as a former mechanic/current engineer, the reliability of cars has improved across the board over the years. The reliability of automobile owners however, has steadily gotten worse.

Every VW I’ve owned has gone at least 200,000 miles (my 1987 Golf has gone 624,000 miles). The secret - they are properly MAINTAINED. I also bought these cars because I knew what I was buying instead of listening to advertising jargon from a bunch of marketing-droids peddling the latest bells and whistles. I also avoided buying cars early in their production years.

With the exception of my first VW, a 1975 Scirocco, every VW that I’ve owned were purchased near the end of the production cycle (after all the bugs are worked out). I prefer letting others volunteer as guinea pigs by being the first on the block to own a brand-new fresh-out-of-the -factory 1st-year production model.

30 plus years ago, the knowledge of properly maintaining the family car was a rite of passage passed from father to son (and in many cases, father to daughter). Back then, the average autombile owner knew how to change the oil, replace headlights, replace the air filter (I’ll give a mulligan on replacing the spark plugs, since the mid-1970s emission controls took up more room in the engine bay and made that task damn near impossible), etc.

Nowadays in this age of convienience, entitlement, and electronic leashes (including mind-control devices like iPods, Blackberries, Bluetooth devices, text-messaging, etc.), if a light bulb goes out, today’s driver will go to the dealership, throw a fit, and constantly complain until the issue has been resolved. It seems that people today will gripe at the slightest inconvienience. No wonder society has gone soft these days…
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I also avoided buying cars early in their production years.

Something that is a VERY smart thing to do! :)

if a light bulb goes out, today’s driver will go to the dealership, throw a fit, and constantly complain until the issue has been resolved. It seems that people today will gripe at the slightest inconvienience.

If "today's driver" has shelled out $30,000 on a car, it would seem that he or she had a right to do so, especially if the car is within, say, 5 years or 75,000 miles of purchase. When I had a brake-light go out in my '96 Accord, the dealer simply changed it while it was in for the oil change. Charged me $2 for the bulb, $22 for the oil change, and I was on my way in 30-40 minutes. No fit necessary :).

Sure, people will gripe at inconvenience, especially when their neighbor bought brand X and didn't have the same problems with their car. It makes them feel cheated.
  • lol dont have to take it personal, notice how i chuckled after i said it.. Ive had plenty of vws, still have a 02 turbo v6 passat. has almost 90k miles and has never had a single problem except cracked windshields and people stealing those damn VW caps on the wheel. VW's are excellent cars, im just saying id take the honda over the VW.
    while i do hope that my vw lasts as long as 600k's, i don't think that its out of hand for someone to go to a dealer to fix a light when the car is under warranty, regardless of how much it cost.

Back then, i don't think warranties and convenience was pushed AS MUCH as it is now with regards to new vehicles, hence why the whole 'fix it yourself' approach was used often like 600k said. Granted i also dont agree with throwing fits, especially over something so trivial.
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Posts: 690
    lol dont have to take it personal

None taken. The point I made can be applied to any vehicle, not just VWs or Hondas.
This discussion has been closed.