Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Jetta GLI vs Honda Civic Si

Comments

• k5ldbk5ldb Posts: 50
    Isn't that a Mexican pedigree? I'd say the Si wins in that category, as well as my Marysville, OH. LX for that matter.
    Just took a quick look at MSRP of an Si with nav and a GLI with nav and sunroof option and got $23,635 for the Si and $28,745 for the GLI. There could be other options the GLI requires to match the Si equipment but those are the biggies I saw immediately. I realize the final negotiated pricing will be different but that's the only meaningful starting point for comparison.

I think the GLI is a great looking car and I'm sure it's a lot of fun with the current engine. I just don't know that it's 20% more fun than the Si and doubt it's 20% more reliable. I looked at VW's and also considered the Si before being sensible (for me in my specific requirements) and choosing my LX.
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    what is this suppossed to mean?

aside from american built hondas, our country is not exaclty known for turning out the most reliable OR well built automobiles.

mexican made vw's are exactly the poster child for reliabiltiy either, but at least the interior is nice.

the jetta is the only vw made in mexico. the rabbit and gti are both built in woflsburg, with the rabbits engine being sourced from mexico.
    It means the particular car in question doesn't have a Wolfsburg heritage it has a Mexican heritage. Nothing more, nothing less. I suspect it could be argued that my car would have a better heritage if it were from Japan than from Marysville.
    it has some wolfsburgian components...but i do agree about the japanese heritage thing.

at any rate, i think it has more to do with the company in question than the actual place of build. a honda will be great no matter where its built, wheras with vw, it actually does resonate a bit more to have a german built one.(i've had no problems with mine, and i had no real problems with my ohio made civic either.)
    I do believe a Marysville Civic is probably just about equal to a Japanese Honda but there's probably a little difference. I believe there is a measurably greater difference between a Wolfsburg VW and a Mexican VW. No offense to anyone, just my perception.
  • vwguild1vwguild1 Posts: 98
    Categorically untrue...
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    No offense to anyone, just my perception.

So just what is this "perception" of yours based on...since it supposedly not based on anything offensive?
    yeah, just like honda has done a good job with injecting their american built civics and accords with a japanese fit and finish, vw has done a great job with the hecho en mexico jettas, and the interiors are just as nice.

i just like the bragging rights! ;)
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I think some like to imagine that Hans, the German craftsman, personally hand built their assembled in Germany VW. Reality may be that it is an assembly line, manned by guest workers from Turkey, putting together the parts :surprise: .

It doesn't matter to me at all what nationality the workers are or where the parts are slapped together.
    ha ha very true!

besides, the wolfsburg tag isn't enough for me to over look the other flaws my bunny has.
  • amazeramazer Posts: 2
    This post is in response to an earlier one that suggested the Accord as an alternative to the GLI.

I had a top of the line 2003 Accord coupe (first model year of the previous generation) with the V6 (and auto tranny unfortunately) just prior to my 2006 GLI with Pkg 2 and DSG, so I'm in a good position to compare the cars.

Their missions and strengths are very different, but I found both to be excellent vehicles. The engines in both are quite peppy-- though the Accord's engine was rated at 240hp vs 200 for the GLI, they both felt comparable in terms of accelleration. Certainly, though, the 6-speed DSG tranny in the GLI is superior to the conventional 5-speed auto in the Honda.

The Accord was much more of a highway cruiser, quieter and more composed on interstates. The stereo in the Accord was also better, in my opinion.

The VW handles many levels better than the Accord on windy backroads and state highways. You do feel the bumps more, since the suspension is firmer, but that doesn't bother me. I also prefer the way you sit a bit higher off the ground in the VW-- in the Accord coupe, you sit lower... at least it seems so.

The VW also seems a lot more solidly built than the Accord. The sheet metal on the Honda seems lightweight in comparison to the BMW-like solidity of the VW. You'll easily notice this when you close a door or the trunk.

It was nice that the Honda ran on regular gas, while the GLI requires premium or at least mid-grade,

All in all, I have a much more emotional attachment and fondness for the VW. The Accord is very reliable and a good value, well-built vehicle with-- yes, more space and more power than the GLI. But the VW has a most excellent engine, solider construction and is a helluva lot more fun to drive. The Honda's tires would start squealing on highway ramps if I drove at more than a moderate speed-- the GLI feels like it's on rails!

Also, people frequently look at and compliment the GLI, whereas I very seldom got any comments or notice with the Accord, even though the coupe did look kind of stylish.

I bought my car certified from a dealer about 4 months ago-- it has only 27K on the odometer, but it's been totally reliable and still looks brand new. I think VW hit a home run with this car!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    You'll note I was talking about the 6-speed Accord - a manual transmission will create a more visceral driving experience. Plus, it offered bigger, grippier tires and faster acceleration.

They are very different animals for sure, but the price of the VW is just too high, to me, relative to the Civic Si. Great car, I'm sure though! :shades:
  • Hello,

u>How is your 06 GLI doing so far? ANY major problems with your GLI since you purchased it. Currently, I drive a honda civic 2004 , so far no major problems and very reliable. I'm thinking about getting an 09 GLI but don't want to be stranded on the highway.
  • hi,

so far ,any issue with your 06 GLI ?
  • Well, mine is an 07 but I have had it for a year and a half and it has been trouble free so far! I got 20k on the od and other than my scheduled maintanance I have not had to get anything repaired or fixed. I also got the car "chipped". For anyone who doesn't know what that is, it is a program that recalibrates settings on you CPU in your car to give more horsepower and torque. There are many different companies that sell it but I went with APR Tuning. The program cost $500 and it is well worth it. The gains you get are better than any other aftermarket part. You can expect 30 extra horses and about 40lb of torque. Feel free to ask anymore questions guys/gals. ;)
  • thanks for your response :shades:
  • at "25000 miles I needed a new transmission/cutch" and I quote. A guy who own a GLI 06 has to get a new tranny and clutch at 25000 miles. These are some of the things I'm afraid of , I didn't ask that guy how he was driving his car but he must be abusing it on a regular basis. :sick: hope that doesn't happen to yours.
  • "Stranded on the highway" is a bit of an extreme statement, LOL.

My 06 GLI is about to hit 29k miles, and I haven't had any problems with it. I take it to the dealer for its regular service, and am just about to replace the original 18" Potenza tires. I wish that the service wasn't so expensive (relative to my old cars, the Accord and TL), but it's not as bad as our Volvo XC70, LOL.

I was tempted to trade the GLI in last month for an 08 TL (amazing bargains to be had), but realized I love the German engineering. Other than a couple of rattles that show up in cold weather, it has worn very well. The paint is as good as day one (it is detailed 2x year), the leather has worn very nicely, and the switches are still solid.

I don't like how they decontented the 07/08/09 models, but that's how it goes.
  • Hi,

I'm thinking about getting an 09 GLI and I have some questions.

1. When you said "I wish that the service wasn't so expensive (relative to my old cars, the Accord and TL)" , how much does it co$t ??

2. "decontented" in what way ?

3. MPG (regular driving without abusing it) ?

Thank you :shades:
This discussion has been closed.