Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 BMW 328/335 vs Nissan Altima 2007 3.5 SE/SL

2»

Comments

• jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    Actualy, I believe the 2007 altima is wider, but an inch or two shorter.
  • absoluticabsolutic Posts: 29
    I stand corrected, the 2007's Altima is wider than 2006

2007 Altima Sedan width - 70.7 in.
    2006 Altima Sedan width - 70.4 in.
    2007 BMW 328i Sedan width - 71.5 in.

Of course, all mfrs measure width from the outside, the inside width depends on shape and thickness of doors etc...
  • lili1lili1 Posts: 44
    Hey, one do not pay 10K for only the badge and nothing else.
    You got more for what a machine can do.

For 10K less, you got quite a lot in an Altima!

I was in Germany just last week and was shuttled on a 1 hr. run from the airport to the destination in a chauffered company MB & back and got talking to these professional drivers. Their general observation is very interesting: all these newer German brands (the 3)are great performing machines to drive no doubt but they are not so reliable anymore particulalry with the electronics but the Japanese cars (sedans, not the top models which are not sold there but more the second model of the brand's line up)just keep runnng and needs only oil changes. Well, can't talk about Altimas - not sold there.

On the other hand, those statement can only speak for the NMW but not the Altima. Other than the engine, it is hard to predict the reliability of things on this new platform. even the engine is hard to guess given the fact that these are hi-tech consumer engines, lighten for faster rev plus emission and not bred for racing or heaier duty. Yea, it can pump out the HP for occassional playing around but not sure how long it will run under stress before loosening up. Well, who knows. However, for 100K Hwy cruising - light load stuff and that should be no biggie.
  • bf109acebf109ace Posts: 77
    No disrespect. But Altima and Camry are family sedans which are too damn big and long for being sporty and fun.

Extensively test drive all 3 cars and let us know how you feel. Raw horse power and straight-line acceleration is not everything.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Huh? The Altima weighs 50 lbs. less than the 328i. It's wheelbase and width are also within 1" of the BMW.

There are many reasons why the Altima doesn't drive or handle as well as the 328i, but physical size isn't one of them.
  • car111car111 Posts: 24
    I find BMW 3 steering and pedals little tight (stiff). The 5 series steering was very stiff to even enjoy the quick turn ability.

Altima I found its hard to maintain speed of car with the way I sit - after seat adjustments and putting thigh support cushion. The car just wants to accelerate and I get tired preventing touching gas pedal every often. My friends don't have this problem (perhaps like rest of buyers) but after showing the issue to my friends, there does not seem to be much that can be done. I like to sit comfortably so that my knee, ankles don't need to stretch, my hips don't feel compressed - just like sitting on office chair. Then I like the car and its pedals to have good response but also be able to maintain the speed so I can rest my foot a little on the pedal.

Don't know if the Altima CVT that makes the car go faster or the softer pedals, vs the 6-speed Camry ???

Camry 2007 3.5 V6 is a little stiffer than Altima (for my sensitive knees/feet), though softer than BMW, and I feel can rest my foot more easily on gas pedal (using thigh support cushion) and don't feel tired - unlike Altima. I find V6 easier a little for my knees/legs than its V4. In Camry, its easier to maintain the speed and also very responsive, especially on slopes.

I think I might just buy 2007 Camry now V6 LE loaded. Its handling does not seem as good as Altima (which is not as good as BMW) but since this is my only car, I need to ensure commuting is not painful.

Perhaps in future, when my knees/legs have recovered, I will buy the 335i.
  • madpistolmadpistol Posts: 126
    Try again. The '08 Camry SE that I drove had much stiffer steering than the current Altima. I'm not sure how the LE drives, but I would assume its easier.

I have to very kindly disagree with you on this one. The LE is not the way to go if you want a responsive car. The loaded Camry LE V6 is a bore when it comes to driving manners. Now I don't know if you like to have a little fun in your car sometimes, but if you ever like to goof around in your car, even a little, DON'T GET THE CAMRY! It is the most boring car on the road toady. The V6 may make it feel fast in a straight line, but as soon as you turn the wheel, the Camry dies... it loses all appeal for anyone that wants to have fun in their car.

Also, if you're comparing the Camry LE V6 to the Altima 3.5 SE, you're comparing 2 different types of cars. The 3.5 SE has a tuned sport suspension, while the LE V6 has a cushiony ride. If you want a true comparison between cars, go test drive an Altima 3.5 SL. It has softer suspension tuning, but it's still soooooo much more fun to drive than the Camry. Look at what people have to say about the Altima vs. Camry, and look at how the Altima has been rated by consumers. There are a lot more people that are happy with their Altima vs. those happy with the Camry. The Altima is simply a more enjoyable car for day to day driving.

Back on topic, there is a reason the BMW 3 series costs at least $10k more than an Altima. The driving dynamics are more balanced on the Bimmer. The quality of the ride on a tuned german car is pretty hard to beat in this market.

As another side note, have you looked a Infiniti's G35 sedan? 300hp 3.5L V6 is nearly on par with BMW's 3.0L TT I6, but it costs far less than the BMW. It's a great solution to any sort of money dilemma that people may have with spending so much money on a German import.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,238
    Don't be expecting to hear back from "car111."

He posted 15 months ago, and the turnover in Edmunds has to be seen to be believed.

Either way, the world is full of people who think they got a smokin' deal on whatever non-BMW they ended up with.

It's a cottage industry.
  • madpistolmadpistol Posts: 126
    lol! I didn't even realize it said 2007 :surprise:
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "It's a cottage industry."

ROTFLMAO! Awesome line! Mind if I borrow it from time to time? ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,238
    "Mind if I borrow it from time to time?"

Be my guest! Lord knows I quote you often enough around here. :)
  • habiemhabiem Posts: 22
    I know this is an old thread, but it's got to be a joke, right? Don't get me wrong, the Altima is a great car - especially the 3.5SL. In fact, I'll probably buy one in the next few weeks. I can't speak directly for the current 3 series, but I had a 2001 BMW z3, and the altima doesn't compare. Sure, it's probably just as fast, or even faster, but that's only part of it. My wife and I regularly took the z3 back into the country to go down the little traveled state highways at 100MPH, zipping up and down the hills, hugging the curves at 90. I have no doubt if my mind that if I tried that with the Altima, I'd be dead.

In addition, give the car 5 years and see how many rattles there are. The BMW will have none. The Altima will certainly have some.

So, all in all, Altima is a fantastic car. However, if you can afford the BMW, over the life of the car, you'll love every second of driving it and will find it worth the money. That is, unless you just plan to drive it to the store once a week. If that's the case, save the cash.
  • r3shortr3short Posts: 4
    Wondering if anyone knows how to get more performance via chip, exhaust, supercharge, etc.
  • akv25akv25 Posts: 42
    I have no doubt if my mind that if I tried that with the Altima, I'd be dead.

Couldn't agree more. I have tried to take my Accord around corners like my BMW and boy, have I had the same thoughts! Don't understand how people can equate straight line performance with a sports sedan.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    You can likely ratchet it up somewhat on an Altima. Get a Dinan chip for the 335 however, and you can rack up some serious horsepower and torque 350/350 isn't out of the question.
  • jimb08jimb08 Posts: 3
    I own a 2007 BMW 335 coupe (premium, sport, nav, 6spd). It is the best driving all around sport coupe I have ever driven. No front driver could compare to the driving feel this car gives. I guess a good description would be as follows: When you drive most (good) cars you feel like you are OPERATING a really refined and powerful machine. When you drive a BMW, you feel like you are an INTEGRAL PART of a really refined and powerful machine. I have also heard it said like this: You operate most cars; you DRIVE a BMW.

I don't want to take anything away from the Altima. It is a very fine car and would be my pick vs the Camry or the Accord but it is nowhere near the same league as the 335 in driving dynamics.

If you drive the 335 and don't immediately understand what I'm talking about here, you should buy the Altima. I say this because you will never understand or appreciate what the 335 offers so it makes no sense to spend the extra money on a badge. Badges aren't important. If Hyundai made a car that offered the joyful driving experience that my 335 does, I'd buy it. It is the pulse quickening performance balanced against the confidence inspiring handling and feel that got me to plunk down my money.

Just my two cents. Happy motoring!

JB
  • r3shortr3short Posts: 4
    Where would I locate this chip?

Price tag?
2»
This discussion has been closed.