Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki Grand Vitara vs Subaru Forester vs Hyundai Santa Fe vs Jeep Liberty vs Ford Escape vs Saturn

Comments

• kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    "prayer trying to keep up with a Forester XT "

Yeah it's fast all right, especially as the tach hits about 3500....:)
  • turtoniturtoni Posts: 9
    http://www.pettersolberg.no/com/default.asp

picture in there looks pretty nice if you like the racer look.

turtoni
    the forester looks like a station wagon. and an ugly one to boot.

i agree it's an awesome vehicle otherwise but it still looks like a soccer moms car.

in fact all of the "subies" in my opinion look dated, clunky and flimsy and always have.

kinda like how saturn cars look. cept maybe when they bolt on the racing stuff.

turtoni
    What you say maybe true, but I don't care. I love driving it. It's got the nod of the statistics purveyors even if it is the ugly duckling of the crowd.
    well thats all that matters if you like it.

i just wish they'd improve the looks because then i'd probably buy one sometime down the road if they did. it matters to me how the car looks probably above everything else. kinda like a woman. i can put up with some flaws in the personality but if i didnt find her physically attractive it would be a non starter.

turtoni
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    It's what's inside that really counts to me. I kept considering the Element because it's interior was so practical. And talk about dated - I drive a vehicle that hasn't changed it's exterior styling much in 40 years. Looks might get me in the door, but if the content isn't there, forget it.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Flimsy? Look at the IIHS bumper basher tests, the toughest of all is the Forester, it suffers the least damage of any vehicle in its class. The opposite of flimsy.

Crash tests also prove how tough it is:

http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summaries/smsuv_overall_c.htm

You'll find the Forester is the only small SUV to earn Good ratings in their front and side impact as well as Good ratings in the bumper basher.

You say one thing, but the opposite is true.

Every single competitor proves more flimsy in at least one of those 3 tests.

-juice
    juice, the key word here is "looks" flimsy. IMO.

i wouldnt buy a brand new car if i really didnt like it's appearance.

HTH.
    Well, appearances can be deceiving. Some of the truckiest competitors are also the least safe and have the weakest bumpers.

Also, remember that tough-looking aluminum tube-framed roof rack on the original XTerra? It could only hold 75 lbs. Just about any other rack had more capacity.

Beauty is more than skin deep. ;)

-juice
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Give it up Juice. Some people value looks above all else (as is their preogative) so all the facts and statistics in the world aren't going to sway them. And as great a vehicle as the FXT is, few will argue that it's a beauty queen ;) Besides, a look at Subaru's core demographics show that owners tend to be from occupations that value function over form (ergo engineers and other technical types) :)

-Frank
    And there are some people who look for form and function over looks. I'm not saying looks don't matter, I like classy looking cars. But, this car has form/function that I value. I'm not sure what the typical demographic is for the Subie, but I doubt I'm in that category. The Subie no doubt may not have all of the trimmings of the competitors, but given it's strengths I'm overlooking its weaknesses, which are largely subjective in nature. The strengths have everything to do with available cargo area, performance, reliability and safety.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,671
    since i paid the collision bill, in the real world, the crash results for the 'ester, isn't so good. my wife slid into an 'ester with her escape(left rear escape, right rear 'ester). since the rear bumper on the escape was so large, it needed $600 in repairs, the 'ester $1200.
    shortly after getting the repairs done, my wife' escape got hit from behind(in the bumper). $1200 repair, $2500 on the altima. since then, i put a big receiver hitch on the escape. :)
    It's not about the damage the car suffers, it's about the damage the occupants suffer. :)
    i thought the subura engines were high performance? ie, very fast. what real function does that serve?

a forester is high performance salon car with extra boot space. most the subura drivers i've known have been boy racers. they bought the car because it's very fast and fun to drive.

the ride is lower and the car is smaller than all the other vehicles listed in the topic title. i'd imagine that space is quite high on the list of functionality in fact i'm sure most people dont even think of a forester as an SUV.

and the jeep is the only car that can really offroad in this topic. hows about that for functionality?

edmunds lists the chevrolet equinox as *their* most wanted SUV under $25,000 and the escape/tribute comes in secound. the consumers have voted their most wanted as the honda CRV.

turtoni-

ps i'll share my tech resume if you'll share yours...
    "a forester is high performance salon car with extra boot space. most the subura drivers i've known have been boy racers"

That's a generalization.

Forester does not have less room then the Liberty. The Liberty is a true offroader. But I can't really say my daily commute takes me down the dirt side of the mountainside. It sucks gas like there is no tomorrow.
  • manamalmanamal Posts: 434
    I own a forester ('05) and had an Escape as a rental car. There is no question that the escape is a bigger vehicle. There is also no question that the forester handles better. I prefer the forester to the escape. I like the lower center of gravity: it allows for much better handling. And as for the boy racer, well, I did not buy the tubocharged engine, I am 40 +, and not interested in racing.
    Sounds like you overpaid. A Saturn rear-ended my Forester and a whole new bumper was $150 from a wholesaler, and the one on my X doesn't even need to be painted. The Saturn was not driveable. :cry:

My experience and the IIHS bumper basher results show that you're likely to spend very little repairing a Forester in minor collisions.

Your Escape got lucky, that's all there is to it. One of the members of a Subaru Crew hit a full-size pickup with his Outback and the pickup suffered a whole bunch more damage, it's all about the angles and what hits what.

Ground clearance is up for 2006, 7.9" for the turbos and 8.1" for the others. That's about as good as anything else in the class, FWIW.

-juice
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,671
    back of the escape 'contacted' the 'rester, which needed rear bumper repair, new rear light, rear quarter repair. the body of the escape sits higher. if it had been the front of the escape, the esape repair bill would have been much higher. you don't get lucky twice, except that guy who won the ny lottery twice. ;)
    So he can afford gas, apparently. ;)

-juice
    At the beginning of the summer I asked for other solutions for someone I know in Wyoming (who was downsizing from a Suburban).

They ended up buying a 2000 Outback. It's the first Subaru they have ever owned and they absolutely love it. Their comment is that is easy to maneuver and handles corners/curvy mountain roads better than their Prius, and certainly better than the Suburban or a pickup.

It's nice to have been right on this one (I kept telling them the Subaru was the best choice).
    Plus you look like an absolute genius now with gas prices spiking.

-juice
    And now that $2000 I saved by not buying the Subaru is really getting eaten up by the added fuel cost of a vehicle that gets 18-19 mpg going downhill with a tailwind!
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    18-19mpg from a Subaru? V6? I hope.... :confuse:
  • No, the $2000 she said she saved was from NOT buying a Subaru. I think she owns a Jeep Wrangler. Click on her username to check out her vehicles and previous posts.
    Right on the Wrangler - we ended up buying a soft top '04 Unlimited almost 1 year ago (September 15th). It wasn't our first choice, and is certainly less practical for us than one of the Subies, but it's fun to have a convertible, and I like off-roading. So I went with emotion and saved the money initially. I don't regret it (the Wrangler has been an excellent vehicle in many ways and problem-free for 55,000 miles so far), but the cost of gas is starting to really hurt.

I wouldn't suggest a Wrangler for most people - you have to give up quite a bit when you get one. Those of us who, for some unknown reason, develop a love for these little, impractical vehicles just can't give them up.
  • knotknot Posts: 9
    Ok well maybe not so much the theories but I drive a Sub. I decided on the Jeep diesel because of the great mpg. I didn't realize the price of diesel is greater than premium fuel! It appears the price just offset the great mpg near the gas model. It almost feels like a penalty for good gas mileage. Now I'm stuck again trying to decide while I'm getting less than 10 in my Sub. Glad you started this thread.

I haven't seen any of the vehicles - just been reading. One thing I like about my Sub is I can lay down in the back. I often like to sleep under the stars - living in the northwest. I also off road every weekend since I practically live in it (off road trails).

So I'm looking for an off road worthy vehicle that I can sleep in (I'm only 5'-7") that get's good mileage. Any suggestions?
    Here the price is diesel is 30-40 cents less than regular. Go figure!
    Sub = Suburban in this case, I suppose? Not Subaru?

Just clarifying.

Diesel costs less here right now as well, a good 30-50 cents less. But this is temporary. Long-term, diesel around here usually costs about the same as premium.

-juice
    Not around here. Long term it's quite a bit less than regular.
    I think on a national average it cost 7 cents more per gallon, and keep in mind the low-sulfur diesel will bring prices a little higher because it needs more refining.

Of course with gas price spikes, that info is outdated. Question is, where will gas prices settle long-term?

-juice