Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Baseball!

124»

Comments

• fezofezo Manahawkin, NJPosts: 10,152
    Mets are back in first. I'm not expecting this to last the weekend, but I'll take it.
    2013 Mazda 5 Grand Touring, 2010 Toyota Prius IV. 2007 Toyota Camry XLE, 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999 Mazda Miata
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 44,881
    I've been biting my tongue. B)

Moderator - Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

That was probably the correct move. They're dropping back to second tonight.
    2013 Mazda 5 Grand Touring, 2010 Toyota Prius IV. 2007 Toyota Camry XLE, 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999 Mazda Miata
    At least they haven't been playing second fiddle to Atlanta as usual.

Long time quiet in here. Mets in first by 5. That feels funny to type. Sure, it could all go south pretty quickly but feeling better every flip of the calendar. Best trade - getting he parakeet for unknown consideration.
    edited August 24
    Jinx. :p

Looks like we have the worst winning record of any division.

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 18,060
    fezo said:

Long time quiet in here. Mets in first by 5. That feels funny to type. Sure, it could all go south pretty quickly but feeling better every flip of the calendar. Best trade - getting he parakeet for unknown consideration.

Doesn't hurt that they use the Rockies as whipping boys this past weekend .. another lost year here in Colorado.

When you get a chance, I recommend reading a book entitled "The Game". Nice history of the last 20 years of MLB from a business perspective. Focuses on Selig, Fehr and Steinbrenner. Lots of interesting backstories about labor negotiations and such.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

Mets never played in a 14-9 game in their history the play two in a row. And the Sunday is a perfectly normal game that you'd see in altitudes baseball is supposed to be played at....

Wacky park. Beautiful but I think the humidor must have been out of order for a couple of days.

Sounds like a great book, though not focusing on favorite people of mine....
    fezo said:

Mets never played in a 14-9 game in their history the play two in a row. And the Sunday is a perfectly normal game that you'd see in altitudes baseball is supposed to be played at....

Wacky park. Beautiful but I think the humidor must have been out of order for a couple of days.

Sounds like a great book, though not focusing on favorite people of mine....

I moved to Colorado the first year the Rockies played, so I've become a fan of sorts.

I don't think they'll ever be able to field a contending team consistently. The altitude messes with players' heads - both pitchers and hitters. You see guys hitting .350 in Denver and .240 everywhere else. Breaking balls don't break as much. Ask Mike Hampton about that.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 36,415
    If I was a major-league pitcher, you couldn't over-pay me to play in Denver. There is always one free agent that takes the bait, though.. Denny Neagle comes to mind.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Yeah, but Mike Hampton will say your excellent schools brought him there....
    What I find odd is that Denver cut its ties with the AAA affiliate in Colo Springs - similar environment and altitude - and now the AAA team is in ABQ. Tried growing our own (Tulo, Ubaldo Jiminez) and that didn't work out well either.

A couple of stars does not a contender make.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 36,415
    Michaell said:

What I find odd is that Denver cut its ties with the AAA affiliate in Colo Springs - similar environment and altitude - and now the AAA team is in ABQ. Tried growing our own (Tulo, Ubaldo Jiminez) and that didn't work out well either.

Before the Rockies, the Reds had their AAA team in Denver for a little while. Mid-80s? I sort of remember Eric Davis playing there.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

kyfdx said:

Michaell said:

Before the Rockies, the Reds had their AAA team in Denver for a little while. Mid-80s? I sort of remember Eric Davis playing there.
    Yep, the Denver Bears. They played at Mile High Stadium (which is where the Rockies played the first few seasons before Coors Field opened up).

Have been at the last two Mets-Phillies games. Went by myself the night of the 16-7 (Super Bowl III score) game which is as crazy a game as I've ever seen. Ran into the guys who had the Cespedes home run ball. Got a picture with it.

So last night the girls who weren't interested were suddenly a great deal more interested so we went. Good, tight game but not the insanity of the previous night where by the seventh inning the Met fans had taken over the place.

Still 5-1/2 games up and another day drops off the calendar.
124»