Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sedona Electrical Problems

13»

Comments

• boydewboydew Member Posts: 10
    battery died for some reason,put in new one and when I went to put cables on the van and it seemed like it wanted to turn over and light came on inside and out and you can change the gear shift with no battery hook up or no key in ignition. Had mechanic look at it but can`t find any wires burned-checked fuses-alternator. Its been two weeks now and still got no answers. anyone got some ideas
  • mike89woofpackmike89woofpack Member Posts: 4
    Theresa,
    Problem seems to occur less when weather gets cooler--in fact it hasn't happened for a couple of months now. My service advisor did some research and concluded that it may have something to do with the alarm control module reacting to heat which then disables the ignition. Just had it replaced and we'll see what happens when it gets warmer. I'll post again this summer and let everyone know if this did the trick.
    Mike
  • davell52davell52 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2006 kia sedona and my lights in side the car do not work it keeps blowing the fuse
  • itamasitamas Member Posts: 1
    I too own a 2006 Sedona with similar problems. I cannot help you with the headlight issue since I didn't take the time to troubleshoot it. My Kia only burned out one headlight in the last year and a half since we owned it so it is not a pressing matter as of yet:). However I had the blinker/running light issue and this is what I found. I have removed the light bulb socket from the wiring harness and found that the little tab that is touching the side of the light bulb to be loose. All you need to do is to pull it out completely, bend the bottom half inwards so it makes a better connection with the connector tab coming from the wiring harness and re-assemble it. Also, there was very slight discoloration from corrosion which I cleaned with a fine sandpaper and some electrical contact cleaner. Hope this helps.

Here's a couple of pictures to better understand what I did:

Light bulb socket pics
  • jlaw263jlaw263 Member Posts: 3
    Yes our 2005 Kia Sedona has had headlights and taillights burn out every 4 or 5 months, now it is stalling! Mechanic is not sure what the problem is.
  • jnkbjnkb Member Posts: 1
    I think it has something to do with the " alarm control module reacting to heat which then disables the ignition" as well because the other day our horn starting honking like an alarm and we didn't even know the car had an alarm. Then the key started not working. where is the alarm module and did it work out for you?
  • theresa15theresa15 Member Posts: 2
    Mike,
    Yes, the weather definitely makes a difference. I will be taking it to my mechanic within a week or 2 and I will ask him what he thinks about the alarm control module also. Thank you for the information and please let me know if it worked for you.
    Theresa
  • lviscolvisco Member Posts: 1
    I too have blown through my headlights every 3-4 months. After 3 years and about $400.00 in blown head lights from every automotive store, I finally did what Kia recommended. I had Kia replace the bulbs with their "genuine Kia parts" and its has been 1 1/2 years and I haven't had to change a head light since. I know its a sham. Why should you have to buy Kia's "genuine" parts? I totally agree. Its BS and thats how they lock you in. You may never buy another Kia but as long as you own one you'll need them for parts....down to the dang head lights and rear wiper blade.
  • pamella3pamella3 Member Posts: 1
    I had the problem with starting. I would turn the key and it was dead. After between 3 to 20 minutes of turning key, it would start. My husband took the remote (door lock opener) off of the key ring about 3 weeks ago. I have not had any problems since. This was happening at least 4 times a week prior.
  • jack1003jack1003 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Sedona with 120,000 miles on it and it started to do the same thing. I had corrosion built up on the battery terminal under the rubber caps. I cleaned it up, sanded the terminals and the wires, and have had no problems since. Its an easy fix and worth a try.
  • alenasattleralenasattler Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same issue. Engine seems to run fine though.
  • haggardhaggard Member Posts: 92
    edited November 2012
    You know, I thought the same thing about the rear wiper blade for my '06 Sedona. I had to buy it from the dealer , but it was only about $11, and not at all difficult to install.

Now, the headlights are something else. I have to replace one every 4-6 months. It's never the same one consecutively. There may be something to the genuine Kia parts thing. My local parts stores carry only the Sylvania H7 bulb for this car, and they just don't last. Changing them is a pain as well. Leased an Optima a few months ago, never thought to check whether they made it easier to change bulbs in the 5 years since.
  • jackj59jackj59 Member Posts: 5
    They've replaced both headlight harnesses (or at least connectors) for me under warranty; apparently a known issue, so I'd ask about that. No problems since then.
  • treasuregirltreasuregirl Member Posts: 1
    I've been reading some of the posts, I too am having problems with my 2006 sedona( 74,000 miles). It has intermittent start problems, I go through head lights and turn signal bulbs frequently, the air bag light is on constantly for about a year now and the light for the radio intermittently goes on and off?? At my wits end, most of the problems have been a years time but the starting issues began about 4months ago. Has anyone had any success stories?
  • theresa15theresa15 Member Posts: 2
    I went to KIA for my starting problems. They replaced 2 things and it was still starting funny...more so in the summer months. I never really had a problem in the winter. I suppose due to the cold. I took it to a new mechanic and he kept it over night. All in all the problem was the starter was going. He got stuck with it not starting and checked the starter and that was it. Never had a problem again since replacing it. I remember seeing a post about bulbs constantly going also. Someone said it was because of using after market parts and not genuine KIA parts. I too have a problem right now with my left signal and I will have to get the genuine part. $7 compared to $23 for a bulb. Ridiculous!! I don't remember seeing anything about the airbag light or anything about the radio light but I am sure there will be something in these posts to help you. It does seem that everything goes wrong right out of warranty though!! My starter issues started about 67,000. Good luck!!
  • pointsettanoelpointsettanoel Member Posts: 2
    After putting another $5.000 into that van this year , i have surrenderd it back to the bank !! Transmission X2 every electrical problem, you think of !! Radio , head light ect ect... alternater, finally the engine blew at 136.000 miles on thanksgiving.
    sale it now !!!
  • jc1981jc1981 Member Posts: 1
    I had problems with starting my 2006 kia sedona lx. Sometimes it would start and then it just would not. I changed the starter then starter relay. come to find out where your fuses are there is a little part of the box that is going bad. good news is that you can seperate it. first I was told 1500 just for the part. then found out the part was 500 because it seperates. After fixing that no starting problems at all.
  • mtjppmtjpp Member Posts: 1
    Low beams head lights. After changing them repeatedly ever 6 months I changed the brand. I do not want to say which brand I switched from and to but since making this change I have had the same bulbs for 2 years.
  • heynowmelheynowmel Member Posts: 1
    2005 Kia Sedona. Anyone know why when the high beams are turned on it activates the blinkers on the van?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    That's usually the switch inside the steering column and will require replacement. Common job for most mechanics, though.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • poolgirl69poolgirl69 Member Posts: 3
  • poolgirl69poolgirl69 Member Posts: 3
    We have headlights but no tail lights. We replace the EXT fuse, it just blows right away. Replaced one of the bulbs in the back, tail lights worked but the blinker lights stayed on. When we hit the brake, the left blinker would go on. Now, no left blinker, no tail lights. Just head lights and the right blinker works. Don't know what to do.
  • mls59mls59 Member Posts: 1
    My best friend is having the same problem with her headlights. The pattern is one blows about every 3000 to 4000 miles. Would you please share name of brand that is working for you?
  • jackj59jackj59 Member Posts: 5
    Not sure what you mean by "brand" - dealership? Anyway, both of my headlight connectors (if that's the right word - the part that connects the headlight to the wiring harness) were replaced under warranty. The Kia dealership appeared to be aware of this problem.
  • memswaymemsway Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    I have a Kia Sedona EX 2006. When I put key in "ACC" position and knock anywhere plastic cover below steering wheel (see first photo for area I knock), "Door Open" warning sign will blink twice and there is audible beep twice. Knocking anywhere else inside the vehicle would not cause same action. Is this some kind of security feature?

On a seperate question, near same area where I can trigger this alarm, there is a cable with two fuses and four or five conductors, is this original manufacturer wiring or aftermarcket add-on? I am asking this before I bought this vehicle used. Please see picture below for more details.

Last but not lease, does anyone know if it is possible add "Auto-locks" function into this vehicle? I would like to have all doors locked automatically once I switch to drive gear or beyond certain speed. I called several dealers around, got all kinds of conflicting answers. ">

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw9AWVsEn6DmOXl5bFowRWk3akE/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw9AWVsEn6DmcEdvYWZDRWJFbEk/edit?usp=sharing
  • memswaymemsway Member Posts: 2
  • mike1942mike1942 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2005 Kia Sedona EX. The passenger side window stopped working, I thought it was the regulator and motor as I had the same problem on the drivers side. I replaced the regulator and nothing happened when I activated the switch on the passenger side or driver's side. I replaced the fuse, nothing, I replaced the switch, nothing. I took the regulator out and attached to the drivers side and it worked perfectly. I took the relay out and neither side worked, I put the relay back in and the drivers side control worked fine for the drivers side only as before. Am I looking at a short in the wiring on that side or is there another option, will a code reader be of any use?
  • yourmechanicyourmechanic Member Posts: 17
    @mike1942

Hi Mike!

A code reader wouldn't be of any good. If it's for the window regulator, you should use a wiring schematic/diagram.
  • epaaschepaasch Member Posts: 2
    There is a recall Recall ID # 92409 - EXTERIOR LIGHTING:BRAKE LIGHTS:SWITCH Full Details
    Recall Date APR 01, 2013
    Component EXTERIOR LIGHTING:BRAKE LIGHTS:SWITCH
    Model Affected Sedona
    Potential Units Affected 623658
    Recall ID # 87412 - EXTERIOR LIGHTING:BRAKE LIGHTS:SWITCH Full Details
    Recall Date APR 17, 2009
    Model Affected Sedona
    Potential Units Affected 139844
    Recall ID # 92408 - EXTERIOR LIGHTING:BRAKE LIGHTS:SWITCH Full Details
    Recall Date APR 01, 2013
    Model Affected Sedona
    Kia will fix it free
  • epaaschepaasch Member Posts: 2
    There is a Kia recall and Kia will fix this for free:

Recall ID # 92409 - EXTERIOR LIGHTING:BRAKE LIGHTS:SWITCH Full Details
    Recall Date APR 01, 2013
    Model Affected Sedona
    Recall ID # 87412 - EXTERIOR LIGHTING:BRAKE LIGHTS:SWITCH Full Details
    Recall Date APR 17, 2009
    Model Affected Sedona
    Potential Units Affected 139844
    Recall ID # 92408 - EXTERIOR LIGHTING:BRAKE LIGHTS:SWITCH Full Details
    Recall Date APR 01, 2013
    Model Affected Sedona
  • pfnpfn Member Posts: 1
    I have a Kia Sedona LX. The tail(brake) lights will not turn off. Car is off, keys are out. ??
  • pspeeblespspeebles Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    I bought a 2004 Sedona from a friend who works at a used car dealership. the next day the air bag warning light and check engine light came on. I called the dealership where I bought it and they said go to Autozone, have it tested to see what it is for free, and let them know. The test said throttle position sensor was "shorting out" or bad. We bought a $92.00 TPS and took the van to the dealership we bought it at and they put it on. On the way home the van started backfiring , jerking , revving, etc. so I had to pass the KIA dealership on way home, was afraid I wouldn't make it home so I stopped in for help. KIA dealership told me since it was an aftermarket part the computer may not recognize it correctly, they have one on hand, will trade it out and see if it will work. Whatever they did it worked a couple of days later, I picked it up, they told me that their computer showed a seat belt sensor had gone bad too, $268.00 to fix that, I couldn't afford the $105.00 for them to fix the TPS and the seat belt money too, so I took it home. Still need to fix that seat belt sensor. Within a week the battery was dead. We jumped started it, took a trip (about 3 hours each way) to see family. The brakes started acting weird, my sister's mechanic had to put back brakes on it for me, come to find out the dealership I bought it from did the front brakes and not the back!! $50.00 to fix those back brakes. Drove the rest of the trip no problem. On that trip one of my kids noticed a ticking sound coming from the cell phone plug that didn't work in the very back seat area. The child moved the "lid" of it and it stopped "ticking"..... That plug never has worked since we have owned the van. While it was ticking, it smelled like hot wires, or burning wires in the back area of the van. The smell quickly went away so no one worried about it... So now we have had the van about 3 months. 3 weeks ago, my son and I were going to the bank and we start smelling something and I noticed the AC light is flashing! when it does as it goes out the compressor quits but starts right back up when the flashing continues and the light comes back on. within seconds it flashed about 7 times each time cutting the compressor off and on. I quickly shut the AC off, as it was also smelling like burning wires. Within seconds the van died at a stop sign we were at waiting for traffic to pass so we could enter a hwy. I tried to start it back up, it wouldn't. We were stranded for 2 and 1/2 hours, waiting for my family to come get us. Had to leave the van there on side of road. Called had it towed to KIA Dealership. They called later that day said it would be $725. to fix it. A crank shaft position sensor went out. I told them to fix it but I wasn't sure I could pay until June 1st, they agreed to not charge me storage fees and I agreed to let them do the fixing. I went to get it yesterday, $806.00 because the sensor that went out is under the timing belt cover and while in there since the belt looked worn, they called and asked if I wanted it changed too, saying if I don't do it now it could go out in a week and it would be another $600.00 labor to get to it again, plus the $125.00 for the belt, if I let them change it now it would only be $125.00 extra cost to the repair on the sensor charges. So I told them fine just fix it belt and sensor. They did. Well when I get to the dealership they had to jump start the van to bring it to the service center doors. Battery dead. I drove it straight home. Tried to go somewhere this morning, can't battery dead! GRRRRRRRRRR! I think that there is a short in this van somewhere! I am going to find out one way or another! To top all this, it is due for state safety inspection, it won't pass with the air bag (seat belt) light staying on. The check engine light went off when the TPS was fixed. Also one of the tires is worn in a weird pattern, I got to looking at the tie rod ends and suspension stuff to see why the tire was wearing weird. The tie rods have worn bushings, which explains the weird thumping kind of rattle of the front end when on a country hwy. or a bumpy road. So I need tie rods and front tires before it will pass inspection as well. I may have to take out a title loan on this thing just to get it sound enough to even remotely considered reliable! Totally livid at this point!
  • nakeshahendrynakeshahendry Member Posts: 1
    The activity of the animal beings has become acutely active everywhere on this earth. Bodies do not get time to booty a blow for a while. With the accretion use of altered gadgets of Gps Jammer, the possibilities of accepting the aboriginal of blow accept absolutely finished. The adaptable phones or the corpuscle phones are some of these accessories that accumulate the bodies consistently in blow with the alfresco world. The adaptable building are additionally accessible about everywhere these canicule and due to this the accessibility of the Cell Phone Jammer has become alike added quick and authentic. Today, you cannot break out of ability of these adaptable building as their signals can bolt your about anywhere. The bearings of bodies who accord to altered business professions has become actual analytical of [url=http://www.jammerfromchina.com/categories/WiFi{47}Bluetooth_Jammers/]wi- fi jammer[/url] as their authorities bolt them anywhere any moment.
  • winterkiss82winterkiss82 Member Posts: 1
    I've owned my 2008 Kia Sedona for 3 1/2 years and am very quickly getting sick of it!!! I have changed each of the headlights ATLEAST 4 times, I have changed the brake & tail lights multiple times, brakes & rotors twice, my cigarette lighter & power outlet quit working, and now they're trying to tell me the now 3rd battery put in it is bad. This is freaking ridiculous and, from what I'm reading here, these are ongoing issues with all Kia Sedonas. I've been told that my car should still be covered under the lemon law. Anyone know if this is correct?? Should I just sell the van and get something that isn't a Kia?!? HELP!!!! :sick:
  • prefer_diyprefer_diy Member Posts: 1
    I've had to change:
    - headlights at 30k miles (special bulbs that were dealer available only);

- brake pads and rotors more frequently than my other vehicles similarly driven. I believe this is due to the Sedona's weight and the corresponding minimal size of the rotor.

- Electrically, my door switches are flaky

- the brake light switch failed. Kia actually had a factory recall (no brakes = safety issue) on that switch but would NOT cover mine because "I wasn't on the list of VINs covered" (I even showed the dealer I had the exact same switch as the one on the recall.) Fair warning, once you get beyond the warranty, good luck!

... And seeing full sized 2007+ Ford, Dodge and chevy trucks in the neighborhood getting better mileage than my 17 - 18 mpg is no fun either.

I like to DIY my cars as much as possible. Always have. I've come to find that KIA is not a very DIY oriented vehicle to own. Limited parts available on the aftermarket - even their idler pulley is a weird size (64 bucks at the dealer parts counter for an idler pulley - come on! (idler pulley for my chevy malibu was $23 dollars).

...Allowing for the fact that any vehicle will need parts replaced here and there, for me, the last straw was the unwillingness of KIA customer service to comp me for the 11 dollar brake light switch that probably cost them a buck or two, even after I proved it was the same switch as the one they recalled for the lucky folks who had a VIN 'on the list'. No more KIAs for me and my family of 5 drivers.

...too bad, because the vehicle has some fine qualities to it. I wish the company was as concerned about quality of customer service once you get beyond the warranty.
  • darmdarm Member Posts: 2
    have a 2006 kia Sedona and like to know if there is a way to reset the computer (or any other way by re wiring, etc.) to operate the windows without using the ignition key (like when the engine is off and there is no key in the ignition switch)?
  • nothappykiactnothappykiact Member Posts: 1
    I have had the right blinker and headlight replaced and 'fixed' a couple of times. Today the said 'good news'! Your bulb needs replacing. it will cost you 38.00 for the bulb.
    I am sick of their attitude and the way they cover up this problem.
    This is my second Sedona and last. The front and back bushings have had to be replaced twice and now I am out of warranty, they want to charge me over $100 to 'look' at it. it is the same problem so why do I need to pay an extra $100 for a Re-accruing problem that started at 30,000 miles. Had I realized this Sedona was not getting the same 100,000 warranty I would not have bought it.
  • mschaussmschauss Member Posts: 1
    Do you know what part you got? Mine is doing the same thing and no one is able to fix it.
  • covvb0ycovvb0y Member Posts: 2
    The problems are with the prongs on the light assembly. They don't line up exactly right in order to make a constant contact with the bulbs. I basically had to bend the prongs in the light housing so that it would make better contact with the bulbs.