Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Electrical Problems

Comments

• Christina.. Hate to say it but, "a little to little a little to late!" I contacted GM (government motors.) cust.service SEVERAL times about how I was treated by Randy Wise Chevrolet (THE WORST DEALER/SERVICE DEPT.IN THE WORLD!!!) and I was told "well there's nothing we can do about it, it's up to the dealership as to wheather they do business w/you or not." so call me old fashion but.. when i buy a vehicle from a dealer ,I want to have their service dept. take care of it,their the ones that took my $ not someone else!

I also got the owners son Chris Wise on the phone and told him how i was treated. his response was "well sir there's a right way and a wrong way to fill out the feed back form." so i asked if i'm not happy w/the job that was done am i supposed to lie on the form? he said" no but ,there's a right way and a wrong way to fill out the form." sounds like if he did'nt want me to lie then he wanted me to "bend" the truth! he also said he would check out my story and get back w/me...that was 1.5 to 2 YRS. ago!!! trust me I'm not holding my breath on this one!

and this after being a GM customer since 1988.now after all this B.S. the truck is no longer under warrenty! this is why in the back cap window i have a sign that reads "Randy Wise Chevrolet of Milam Mi SUCKS!!!" waiting for Santa to bring the magnetic sign for my doors with the same slogan for XMAS!

Thanks for your concern and trust me if I could afford my own website I'd post EVERYTHING i went thru with this truck and the wonderful folks a Randy Wise Chevrolet of Milan Mi. to date.... XXX OOO XXX al6pndr!
  • I have to say this Truck is the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned. When it was new it was great. Now it has constant wiring problems just like most of you are having. Windows, door locks, lights etc.{ all wiring problems and harnesses} I will never buy another G.M product again. G.M has done nothing but give us the a run around about there " No recalls or problems ever recorded " . B.S !!! We all have the same problems It's " Piss poor wiring". to say the least. Now every person that ask; " Hey how do you like that Colorado " ?. I tell them just how it is. !!!! As soon as it's possible I will be dumping this piece of crap and getting a truck that will last and hold up , unlike the Colorado. If your looking for a nice well made truck don't look at any truck made by G.M. My mechanic even says they all suck !
  • Got a letter from the lovely folks a GM it stated my 07 colorado "may have a condition where contamination in the brake lamp switch could cause loss of brake lamps or continuous illumination of brake lamps."( in big bold letters.) "DO NOT TAKE YOUR VEHICLE TO YOUR CHEVROLET DEALER AS A RESULT OF THIS LETTER UNLESS YOU BELIVE YOU HAVE THIS PROBLEM."

Let's translate this shall we.. We at GM know we've produced a P.O.S. and pushed it out on the market,we also won't ever admit we should not have stopped production on the S-10 a vehicle with a proven track record. But since we are so determined to get back to profitability (pay back OBAMA and the boys for the federal bailout.) we can't afford to have recalls on a problem we KNOW exists.

I have a friend that works for a company that has these trucks for thier business.They use fm radios for communications from mobile to mobile and back to base.They also had the same problems with lights flashing,dashboard lights going out and blower motors not working. My favorite problem was the yellow flashing light bar on the roof of the truck,wich was wired direct to the battery pos./neg.. when on and the truck was running in park the speedometer was registering at 60mph and the tachometer was at 2500rpm!!!

His boss finally sent the truck in for an inspection of the electrical system,they found that the wiring harness going to the ECM unit had a broken hot wire that had been re attached in the wrong place. The wiring harness on the oppisite side of the dashboard where the headlights are had some sort of ground wire that wasn't ever attached at the factory! the tech showed him what was wrong and it was a simple fix. My friend then hurried over to my place to see if I had the same problem for the same simple fix...no such luck! guess whatever friday/monday my truck was built on they broke/left something else un attached somewhere else! Hey Christina at GM customer service where's all that concern now???!!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,108
    al6pndr,
    Your note is not clear as to your specific concern, can you please clarify? I understand your friend had some concerns as well, were these issues resolved?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • snaproll1snaproll1 Posts: 88
    edited December 2010
    "Your note is not clear as to your specific concern, can you please clarify? I understand your friend had some concerns as well, were these issues resolved?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service"

I think the 300+ posts are pretty clear. GM turned out a piece of junk and failed to stand behind it. This truck has endless wiring and electrical problems that no one at GM ever heard of. Why don't you read the 300+ posts and be the first at GM to get clued in. Maybe you'll be able to stay in business on your own.

Somewhere along the line Chevy forgot that to stay in business you have to EARN repeat business. Design a bad fuse block, let it fry BCMs, batteries, blowers and resistors to the tune of $800 bucks and then generously offering four oil changes and a tire rotation (a "$450 dollar value!") as compensation, just didn't cut it. Eating the $800 dollars would have. That $800 dollar bottom line cost you $40,000+ in future sales. Do the math. Now you know why you are on life support as Obama Motors.
  • To. snaproll1. this christina at GM cust.serv. dosent even work for GM this is an outside contractor who listens to the complaints...then MAY pass them on to GM if they want to hear them,then OBAMA MOTORS sweeps the problem under the rug.. Think this is upsetting ,wait till the "health care "kicks in!!

I went thru the same B.S. with ford 23yrs. ago they didnt give a "RATS BEHIND." either,and they wonder why I haven't bought a ford in 23yrs!!! have to start looking a DODGE/CHRYSLER next!!
  • A few months ago I contacted a lemon law attorney about another "TECHINAL PROBLEM" I was having wlth this "automotive delight" now the 1st "looksee" was free...unless GM wanted to challenge the complaint,and they did. Wouldn't ya know it after that it was gonna cost $$$ to refile the complaint again and take it to court..(kinda wonder if GM/lemonlaw "ain't in bed together??)

I think since "CARING CHRISTINA" at GM cust.serv. has the "corperate blinders on" and can't see or refuses to see that over 300 posts for pretty much the SAME PROBLEM means unhappy customers- maybe we should all POOL our resources and hire somone to "LEAGALY PUSH FOR A RECALL" on the less than satisfactory wiring harness' in these trucks!?
  • ECR223ECR223 Posts: 10
    I've had a few of the problems on here with my 04 canyon.. I've seen the list of possible problems yet to come, and the price tag to go with them... I'm sorry to tell you GM, and anyone else who won't like this... but I had enough, and finally just traded the GMC in on a Honda Ridgeline....
    tchunter2010,
    Have you spoke with GM Customer Service or just the dealer?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • "tchunter2010,
    Have you spoke with GM Customer Service or just the dealer?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service "

I have a suggestion. Why don't you go back to the start of these 350 posts and contact every poster to see if their problem has been resolved. Talk about job security! By the time you get back here there will be another 300 posts. It would be like having a government job. Oh yeah, I forgot, you DO have a government job now that you're owned by Obama.
  • I'm unhappy that GM has not publicly addressed the wireing harness problems in it's Canyon and Colorado models but I am very satisfied with how GM customer service helped me to resolve my GMC electrical isssues at the local dealership level. I did a posting several months ago about my Canyon frustrations but GM Customer Service stepped up to the plate and helped me. Please keep politics out of your postings. Obama has nothing to do with how your truck runs.
  • One more thing.....We can diss American made vehicles all we want but I have almost 75,000 miles on my 2006 GMC Canyon (yes, I've had electrical problems but they were resolved). It does not use a drop of oil, it's very reliable (I've never been stranded along the roadside for any mechanical problems) ,and I'm satisfied with it's gas mileage. It drives great and people often tell me how good my vehicle looks (I keep it very clean and shiney).
  • No I only took it to a dealer. Same old B.S " they never heard of any problems with the colorado as far as windows not working . fan only working on high speed , power door locks that just stop working in cold weather the same time the drivers power window stops working , Blaaa blaaa Blaaa. The same problem all of us have; but they never heard of these problems . B.S !!! Its all about a crappy wire job and controll modules and bad fuze boxes ect. I have read many of these post. All the ones that are the same as mine get brushed under the carpet by G.M dealers. They just lost a G.M owner only customer for ever. Scew them it will be the last G.M me and my family and many of my friends will ever own. They lost alot of sales and by the looks of these post not just me.
  • I don't understand something...three days ago, there were 350 posts on this discussion, including #350 by me. I check today, and there are only 347 posts???
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,057
    Probably a couple got nicked during the redesign changeover the last few days---sorry.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• Just to let you know. (if you don't already.) A friend of mine contacted me today.. his company uses the colorado for thier work trucks,they just got notification from G overnment M otors that there is a recall on the transmission? some thing about overdrive NOT wanting to shift into gear on the automatic trans? just something else to look forward to I guess..

"Randy Wise Chevrolet of Milan Mi. the WORST dealer/service dert. on the planet!!!"
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Posts: 593
    edited December 2010
    I had problems trying to respond yesterday, with the page trying to refresh itself without any input from me. I'll try again...

I received a letter last week from GM, informing me that my truck may have a faulty brake light switch. The switch may malfunction, leaving the brake lights on, and the cruise control inoperative. No cruise, inconvenient, but not a huge deal. Brake lights on constantly, could run down the battery, if I don't happen to notice, and in the middle of winter, that's a concern, especially since this truck is primarily my winter vehicle.

What annoys me about this, is the letter says "DO NOT take the truck back to the dealer unless the switch fails"....Also, we're extending the warranty coverage of this switch to 7 years, 100,000 miles. Now I have two letters in my glove box, telling me I have extended warranty coverage on two components of my truck, the other being the cylinder head.

I realize that no manufacturer at all, will give you an unlimited warranty, but I drive this vehicle on average, 4500-5000 miles per year. Giving me another couple of years of "warranty coverage" on these items is a joke, of sorts. My '05 Canyon has only 30,000 miles on it, and while a brake light switch is cheap, and should be replaced no matter what, I'm not thrilled about driving a truck with a cylinder head that may go bad 2-3 years from now, and cost me a ton of money to replace. In another 2-3 years, the cylinder head replacement would cost more that "book value" of the truck, even though the truck should still have a lot of life left in it at that point...
  • OK! Many post on this issue and I have had this problem several times in the Past. 2004 Colorado Extended Cab. It has always happened when the battery runs down. Several times I have fixed the problem by disconnecting the neg terminal and charging the battery. Last week on a cold Ohio morning with a 7 year old battery, it barely started and I noticed the time on the radio was off. Now Driver Window and Locks not working. I did my previous fix with the neg terminal and battery charge. Did not fix it. I replaced the battery with a new on and still does not work. I read most of the 350 post on this forum and decided to remove the window switch from the drivers door and took it out of the cold and split the switch to expose the contacts on the board. I took a pencil eraser and wiped the contacts. I made sure the switch warmed up and reinstalled the switch and everything worked. One more thing, the battery I bought for the Colorado had the filler caps where the original was maintenance free. Because of the filler caps, the battery lid would not fit to allow terminal connections. I called my Chevy Dealer and they wanted $172.00 for a new Delco maintenance free battery. I cut holes in the battery lid where the filler caps are and all is fine.

Dave
  • AlennxAlennx Posts: 20
    Nice fix!

Colorado's seem to have more vampire draws than a Halloween pot luck. I put a yellow Optima battery in mine. :shades:
    tchunter2010 ,
    Can you please email me with your contact information including your mailing address and telephone number, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • AlennxAlennx Posts: 20
    Send me your social security number, your pin number and your pants size too ;)

Did GM just take over this forum? I honestly hope you're kidding when you ask people for their personal details. We don't know who you are!
    edited December 2010
    Christina is cool, it's okay--just don't post your information in the forum itself, only by e-mail, and if you are in doubt about who is asking for info, ask your hosts.

• gthfishgthfish Posts: 8
    edited December 2010
  • Don't know if this will get posted, every time I mention I've traded my colorado in on a JEEP, I get kicked off the posting with out finishing my post!! a little ONE SIDED if ya ask me! SOOOOOO long G.M. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I'm told by someone at Rousch that the wiring harness is made in MEXICO!!!! go figure!!
  • They're pretty much all made in Mexico.
  • Well, well, well. Back about 300 posts ago I detailed the problem the Chevy has never heard of, battery dead, driver's window not working, fob not working. $800 dollars later, replacing the BCM, the battery, burning out the blower resister while they were testing, replacing a burned fuse block... the truck has worked for 3 years... until tonight. Went to start the truck, same fricking thing, dead battery, driver's window doesn't work, fob doesn't work. At least this time they can't pull the, "We've never heard of this before" because they heard of it 3 years ago when it happened then. Hopefully by now they actually know what the problem is and don't just randomly replace $400 dollar BCMs to see if it fixes the problem (which it didn't).

Hey, Customer Care Christine, how about showing a little care for someone who once trusted in Chevy products and get my truck fixed right this time.
    edited December 2010
    snap, we certainly understand your frustration here, ( it would drive me nuts) but poor Christine didn't build your truck and she can't get under there and fix it for you. But if she didn't care, she wouldn't be doing the job she tries to do. Let's try to be grateful for her efforts in coming here to help us. :D

I've gotten interested in this problem myself and the history of it is quite something---goes back a few years apparently. Most fingers point to the BCM but not always, since there are so many variables in what can drain a battery---you know, like people adding aftermarket accessories, or say someone who combines an older battery with short driving trips + heavy usage of accessories.

This seems like a moving target for GM.

Visiting Host