Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Electrical Problems

Comments

• I'm unhappy that GM has not publicly addressed the wireing harness problems in it's Canyon and Colorado models but I am very satisfied with how GM customer service helped me to resolve my GMC electrical isssues at the local dealership level. I did a posting several months ago about my Canyon frustrations but GM Customer Service stepped up to the plate and helped me. Please keep politics out of your postings. Obama has nothing to do with how your truck runs.
  • One more thing.....We can diss American made vehicles all we want but I have almost 75,000 miles on my 2006 GMC Canyon (yes, I've had electrical problems but they were resolved). It does not use a drop of oil, it's very reliable (I've never been stranded along the roadside for any mechanical problems) ,and I'm satisfied with it's gas mileage. It drives great and people often tell me how good my vehicle looks (I keep it very clean and shiney).
  • No I only took it to a dealer. Same old B.S " they never heard of any problems with the colorado as far as windows not working . fan only working on high speed , power door locks that just stop working in cold weather the same time the drivers power window stops working , Blaaa blaaa Blaaa. The same problem all of us have; but they never heard of these problems . B.S !!! Its all about a crappy wire job and controll modules and bad fuze boxes ect. I have read many of these post. All the ones that are the same as mine get brushed under the carpet by G.M dealers. They just lost a G.M owner only customer for ever. Scew them it will be the last G.M me and my family and many of my friends will ever own. They lost alot of sales and by the looks of these post not just me.
  • I don't understand something...three days ago, there were 350 posts on this discussion, including #350 by me. I check today, and there are only 347 posts???
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,404
    Probably a couple got nicked during the redesign changeover the last few days---sorry.

• Just to let you know. (if you don't already.) A friend of mine contacted me today.. his company uses the colorado for thier work trucks,they just got notification from G overnment M otors that there is a recall on the transmission? some thing about overdrive NOT wanting to shift into gear on the automatic trans? just something else to look forward to I guess..

"Randy Wise Chevrolet of Milan Mi. the WORST dealer/service dert. on the planet!!!"
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Posts: 593
    edited December 2010
    I had problems trying to respond yesterday, with the page trying to refresh itself without any input from me. I'll try again...

I received a letter last week from GM, informing me that my truck may have a faulty brake light switch. The switch may malfunction, leaving the brake lights on, and the cruise control inoperative. No cruise, inconvenient, but not a huge deal. Brake lights on constantly, could run down the battery, if I don't happen to notice, and in the middle of winter, that's a concern, especially since this truck is primarily my winter vehicle.

What annoys me about this, is the letter says "DO NOT take the truck back to the dealer unless the switch fails"....Also, we're extending the warranty coverage of this switch to 7 years, 100,000 miles. Now I have two letters in my glove box, telling me I have extended warranty coverage on two components of my truck, the other being the cylinder head.

I realize that no manufacturer at all, will give you an unlimited warranty, but I drive this vehicle on average, 4500-5000 miles per year. Giving me another couple of years of "warranty coverage" on these items is a joke, of sorts. My '05 Canyon has only 30,000 miles on it, and while a brake light switch is cheap, and should be replaced no matter what, I'm not thrilled about driving a truck with a cylinder head that may go bad 2-3 years from now, and cost me a ton of money to replace. In another 2-3 years, the cylinder head replacement would cost more that "book value" of the truck, even though the truck should still have a lot of life left in it at that point...
  • OK! Many post on this issue and I have had this problem several times in the Past. 2004 Colorado Extended Cab. It has always happened when the battery runs down. Several times I have fixed the problem by disconnecting the neg terminal and charging the battery. Last week on a cold Ohio morning with a 7 year old battery, it barely started and I noticed the time on the radio was off. Now Driver Window and Locks not working. I did my previous fix with the neg terminal and battery charge. Did not fix it. I replaced the battery with a new on and still does not work. I read most of the 350 post on this forum and decided to remove the window switch from the drivers door and took it out of the cold and split the switch to expose the contacts on the board. I took a pencil eraser and wiped the contacts. I made sure the switch warmed up and reinstalled the switch and everything worked. One more thing, the battery I bought for the Colorado had the filler caps where the original was maintenance free. Because of the filler caps, the battery lid would not fit to allow terminal connections. I called my Chevy Dealer and they wanted $172.00 for a new Delco maintenance free battery. I cut holes in the battery lid where the filler caps are and all is fine.

Dave
  • AlennxAlennx Posts: 20
    Nice fix!

Colorado's seem to have more vampire draws than a Halloween pot luck. I put a yellow Optima battery in mine. :shades:
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,055
    tchunter2010 ,
    Can you please email me with your contact information including your mailing address and telephone number, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • AlennxAlennx Posts: 20
    Send me your social security number, your pin number and your pants size too ;)

Did GM just take over this forum? I honestly hope you're kidding when you ask people for their personal details. We don't know who you are!
    edited December 2010
    Christina is cool, it's okay--just don't post your information in the forum itself, only by e-mail, and if you are in doubt about who is asking for info, ask your hosts.

• gthfishgthfish Posts: 8
    edited December 2010
  • Don't know if this will get posted, every time I mention I've traded my colorado in on a JEEP, I get kicked off the posting with out finishing my post!! a little ONE SIDED if ya ask me! SOOOOOO long G.M. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I'm told by someone at Rousch that the wiring harness is made in MEXICO!!!! go figure!!
  • They're pretty much all made in Mexico.
  • Well, well, well. Back about 300 posts ago I detailed the problem the Chevy has never heard of, battery dead, driver's window not working, fob not working. $800 dollars later, replacing the BCM, the battery, burning out the blower resister while they were testing, replacing a burned fuse block... the truck has worked for 3 years... until tonight. Went to start the truck, same fricking thing, dead battery, driver's window doesn't work, fob doesn't work. At least this time they can't pull the, "We've never heard of this before" because they heard of it 3 years ago when it happened then. Hopefully by now they actually know what the problem is and don't just randomly replace $400 dollar BCMs to see if it fixes the problem (which it didn't).

Hey, Customer Care Christine, how about showing a little care for someone who once trusted in Chevy products and get my truck fixed right this time.
    edited December 2010
    snap, we certainly understand your frustration here, ( it would drive me nuts) but poor Christine didn't build your truck and she can't get under there and fix it for you. But if she didn't care, she wouldn't be doing the job she tries to do. Let's try to be grateful for her efforts in coming here to help us. :D

I've gotten interested in this problem myself and the history of it is quite something---goes back a few years apparently. Most fingers point to the BCM but not always, since there are so many variables in what can drain a battery---you know, like people adding aftermarket accessories, or say someone who combines an older battery with short driving trips + heavy usage of accessories.

This seems like a moving target for GM.

Visiting Host