Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Electrical Problems

Comments

• rowdy64rowdy64 Posts: 1
    After reading all these posts, I guess I'm the newest member of the Disgruntled Colorado Owners Club. I have an 06 Colorado with 23,764 miles and the driver window doesn't work. Crap like this shouldn't happen with so few miles on it!!!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    rowdy64,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with your dealer? Can you please send me your VIN? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • snaproll1snaproll1 Posts: 86
    "I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with your dealer? Can you please send me your VIN? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service"

Just curious, are you guys on commission? Do you get some kind of perk for every Colorado and Canyon owner that you can steer towards a dealer? If you care about your (former) customers, why not post a solution to this ongoing and reoccuring problem?
    snaproll1,
    We do not get paid based on comission. I cannot post technical information because I am not a mechanic. I understand that your experiences are simular; however, it doesn't mean the same thing will fix your concerns. I cannot tell you "X" will fix your vehicle with out looking at the vehicle. This is why I recommend "at least" having the vehicle diagnoised by a dealer.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Christina, thanks for the reply, I understand you are not a tech, but it would be nice to have someone with some technical knowledge address the problem from the company that created the problem in the first place.

After 450+ posts and 5 years it's pretty obvious there is some basic flaw with the design of the Colorado/Canyon wiring and/or computers. It really would be nice if Chevy would admit to this ongoing problem, address it and find a real fix.
    snaproll1,
    I apologize but that was in 2007 and the vehicle has to be diagnosed in the last 30 days. If you dealer has trouble diagnosing the vehicle or fixing it, I can assist with getting technical assistance involved. You always have the option to go to a different dealer for a second opinion. I apologize for your frustration but this is our standard operating procedures.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • canyon08canyon08 Posts: 14
    Try checking the rear tailight bulbs, ensure they are in the sockets tightly, if necessary bend the prongs in a bit, a shot of wd to ensure good contact and it will stop. Or at least it worked for me, let me know if it works. Good luck!
  • canyon08canyon08 Posts: 14
    Sorry in your case front bulbs, mine was back left that would come on...
  • ponderguyponderguy Posts: 2
    Well, I'll have to hand it to the dealer, Van Devere Chevrolet, they quickly diagnosed and fixed my power window/locks problem. As I suspected, it was a couple broken wires where the wires went through the driver's door. No new parts needed, just diagnosis and repair of the wires. The cost after a 10% discount coupon was $225, one of the cheapest repairs on this vehicle, and there have been quite a few, from ABS brake system to 4 wheel drive controller. Of course, it would have been even better if Chevy had acknowledged that this is a design flaw in the wiring and taken care of it. The company shouldn't be rewarded for their error by making further profits on the repairs.
    Boy, the Chevy Colorado is certainly the gift that keeps on giving... to mechanic's pockets. For the second time the blower motor and/or resistor fried. Unbelievable what a :lemon: this vehicle is.
  • al6pndral6pndr Posts: 45
    Well what does G.M. have to worry about? when this vehicle has upset enough folks to the point that they won't do business with them any more, OBAMA and the boys will "BAIL" them out with our $ any way!!
  • bitsmasherbitsmasher Posts: 15
    Snaproll, on mine the problem was the cheap-a$$ electrical connector going into the blower underneith the glovebox. I pulled it apart and one of the four contacts was burnt. I carefully cleaned it and straightened it out and put some conductive paste on it (anti-seeze), plugged it back together and it has been working fine.
  • I have a 2010 Colorado Crew Cab which I purchased used 1 month ago. I has 15,000 miles on it. The a/c compressor short cycles, and does it more frequently as the weather gets hotter. I went back to the dealer, but the weather was cooler and raining that day, and the compressor was not cycling so much. The dealer said that operating pressures were good, and could not duplicate the problem. It almost seems to be going off on high head pressure. Does the system have a high pressure cut out, as well as the low pressure? When the compressor is running it cools very well. Thanks for the help.
    shaggydog2010,
    I would recommend taking the vehicle in on a day that is warmer so the dealer can observe what it is your are referring to. Please keep me updated on your situation.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Yeah, that was pretty much the take of it. The connector was fried though on the blower motor, melted. Let's see, this is the second time the blower motor is burned, the resistor went once already. That checked out good this time. This was another three hundred and some dollar fix for something that I've never heard of frying on a vehicle once, let alone twice in 6 years. I mean the connector was literally BURNED. MELTED. This is not NORMAL for a vehicle.

I really wish I knew what the culprit was for all these electrical problems. I wonder if it is one thing like a shoddy, cheap voltage regulator or if it really is a combination of poorly designed components, bad grounds, faulty programming and bad wiring.

GM= :lemon:
  • ahewkahewk Posts: 1
    when ever i touch the pedal the wheels spin way to much could it be the corvette engine that was installed? or am i just that damn lucky!
  • Well, I finally gave up on the Colorado and traded the POS in on a Toyota.

In concept the Colorado is not a bad little truck, but design implementation and complete lack of GM/Chevy knowledge and lack of support have been a never-ending nightmare.

I never in a million years thought I would by anything but American, until my experience with the Colorado and GM. For any of you folks that haven't junked your Colorado/Canyon yet, get whatever is wrong with it fixed and while it is still working, trade it in quickly before the next thousand dollar mishap. I still can't believe they allowed this piece of junk out of the factory, never had a recall on all the electrical problems, and then had the gall to take taxpayer money to stay in business when the company earned a trip to the bancruptcy courts.

Colorado= :lemon:
  • al6pndral6pndr Posts: 45
    Snaproll1. Congratulations!!!You are yet one more of a growing number of EX-G.M. customers!! Me I couldn't bring myself to buy a [non-permissible content removed] product. Call it patriotism,or the fact we still have some Vetrans of WWII around.

24 years ago Ford "ticked "me off and I went to Chevrolet. Now G.overnment M.otors with thier who cares attitude has lost a23yr. customer,but Chrysler/Jeep have gained one and even though my vehicle is used I've been very happy so far.

It's funny I've been driving for 32 yrs. and have had 7 vehicles. 2new Fords, 4 Chevys only one of them brand new and this was the one that I had the most trouble with, and the WORST customer service from the dealer who sold it to me along with G.M. cust. serv.

Oh well we will have to see how this goes if and when I get a new vehicle again. Seems I surprisingly have had my best luck with used vehicles. Al6pndr
  • It's interesting, I had a string of Ford Explorers, no problem, just got too expensive. I thought I would give GM a try. What a mistake. The issue wasn't so much the dealer. I mean they were pretty clueless with the electrical problems, just kind of randomly replacing expensive components saying it would fix the problem and when it didn't, claiming they were "bad anyway".

Eventually they agreed that all the problems had to be tied to the fried fuse block the truck had and offered to pick up 1/3rd of the cost if I would pick up a third and Chevy would pick up a third. The Chevy rep said no. The dealer was as dumbfounded as I was. I contacted the "customer quality care group" or whatever they call it. They offered me the equivelent of a "jelly of the month club" prize, something like "4 oil changes and a tire rotation, package valued at $450 dollars!" according to them. Right. What garbage. Over the years the weird failures continued to grow or reoccur.

In the meantime my wife traded her XJ6L Jag in for a Venza. She loves it. Everybody I talk to love Toyota, they all say the same thing, "no problems/good service/good resale".

I'm eyeing her Venza while my truck has the door lock/fob/window/dead battery deal for the second time, failed blow motor for the second time. I'm thinking about all the posts here on the fun stuff I haven't experienced yet like the dead instrument cluster, malfunctioning lights, wiper motor problems, cruise control problems. When do I get hit with that stuff? The mileage on the truck is up there enough for 'regular' stuff to start to go like the alternator, starter etc. I've already sunk more than a couple thousand into weird reoccuring problems that Chevy never heard of. Like I say, the Colorado is the gift that just keeps on giving to their parts and service reps.

It was just a nobrainer to get a Toyota this time. The quality is there, the design is there, the functionality is there. We haven't had to worry about support because so far, after two years with the Venza, nothing is wrong.

All I can say is I am so glad to be rid of the Colorado. It has to be the darkest chapter in Chevy's failures since the Vega.
  • I am having the same issue with my 2009 Canyon and did the same things that Dave tried with no luck. Radio stays on when I open the driver's side door but shuts off when I open the passager side door. Any solutions

John