Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Electrical Problems

Comments

• Now you know why Chevy is about out of business. They sell flawed products that cost more and don't back them up. No bailouts to pay for corporate jets.
  • Actually, the Colorado is NOT an American product - it is basically a Isuzu I Series truck.

I have a Colorado and although it has not been perfect by any means, it has not been a bad truck. The only significant problem that I've had is the door lock issue and that's not earth shattering or anything. My battery went out at about 3 or 4 years but I consider that to be normal - a replacement was $93 at my local parts store - no big deal. Oh, there was the time that my wife left my tailgate down and it got bent a little...

Personally, I'd blame the current 'crisis' on the people that force the car companies to pay wages upwards of $83 per hour. At least I'd lay more blame on them than I would the company itself! Unions can be a good thing but they have got nuts and need to be forced back inline with what the rest of the US is doing. I personally wish that each State would enact Right To Work and this whole stinking mess would clear it's self up.

In any case, buy American - we could use the work!

Cheers.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    $83 per hour. Everytime onthe net someone posts GM's pay it goes up. A GM worker makes about $27 per hour depending on his/her job. Benefits etc. add on but the big cost is the retirees pay and healthcare costs for them that they EARNED by working 35 to 40+ years. They deserve the benefits promised them over the years or no one will work for them. Wait till the new group of employees come on line at $14 and hour. The turn over will kill them as there is no way someone with any brains will stay at a company for 30 years for that kind of chump change. I bet you make more that $14 or you couldn't afford that truck I'm guessing you own. :shades:
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    I believe a recall is only required for safety related defects, not mechanical problems. As for the check engine light, you may have the cylinder head problem that many Colarado/Canyon owners have already experienced. I believe GM has a special warranty for this problem with coverage up to 100,000 miles. You shouldn't have to pay for it if this is the problem. As for the lousy service at your local dealer, I suggest you try another dealer. Good luck.
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,497
    Actually, the Colorado is NOT an American product - it is basically a Isuzu I Series truck.

They are definitely American trucks. The Colorado/Canyon came first before the Isuzus - the Isuzu I-series is just a rebadged Colorado. They all come from GM's Shreveport Louisiana plant, along with the Hummer H3 which is built on the Colorado platform.

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    I believe both of you are right. Isuzu designed the truck for Chevy and then rebadged it for themselves.
  • I CANT HELP WITH THE DOOR LOCKS BUT SOUNDS LIKE A HEAD PROBLEM WITH THE P-300 CODE. JUST HAD MINE REPLACED. GM WILL DO IT UNDER AN EXTENDED WARRANTY SO TAKE IT TO THE DEALER AND HAVE IT CHECKED AS SOON AS YOU CAN. . PLUGS WONT FIX IT.
    THEY DID MINE JUST BEFORE CHRISTMAS , WITH NO QUESTIONS ASKED. TRUCK SEEMS FINE NOW.
    TO DATE I HAVE NOT HAD THE DOOR LOCK/ WINDOW PROBLEM BUT HAVE HAD SEVERAL PROBLEM WHITH THE BLOWER. HAVING TO REPLACE THE RESISTOR AND PLUG TWICE NOW. NOT THE BEST TRUCK GM HAS MADE FOR SURE. I DON'T THINK I WOULD BUY ANOTHER ONE, JUST TOO MANY PROBLEMS. MANY FROM POOR DESIGN
  • 04cad04cad Posts: 131
    To the point of GM or any of the Big 3 using flawed parts, I believe the import companies issued a press statement that they didn't want the Big 3 to go under because that would be very detrimental to them also ( import companies in the U.S.) The reason was, the Big 3 and the import companies get parts from the same companies, if the Big 3 go under, the smaller companies that make their parts may fail, leaving the import companies without parts also. All vehicles have problems and some flawed parts are the cause for some of those problems. If they come from the same factories, they may be the same flaws?

Corporate jets? Really? Do you think any of the car companies major upper management are going to be able to fly by themselves on a commuter airline safely considering the current state of their stock values?

I have a friend who contemplated buying a certified Lex**, he went into a dealership and discussed it with a Lex mechanic, asking him about the auto tranny repairs. The mechanic told him he didn't know, they had never had to repair a Lex tranny. Hmmmm...... I was online just last month and happened across a thread with complaints about Lex** trannys. The Lex mechanic was pretty smart, he knew my buddy would trust a working man, figuring he had no reason to lie.

It is apparent, most people don't go online to leave positive reviews on their vehicles that are running smoothly with no issues, but you will see lots of negative posts. Doesn't mean there aren't lots of great running vehicles with no problems, it just means we all love to complain.

Should car companies fix the issues that are brought to their attention, absolutely. Are problems limited to domestic or GM or imports, not hardly.

Union wages and benefits have lifted the standard of living across the board in the U.S. The Big 3 have negotiated many concessions from the UAW over the last 20 years, including limiting the max amount per hour that new hires can achieve. The max now is very competitive with the import workers. Universal healthcare would help most every worker in the U.S. while helping the businesses that are being crippled by high healthcare costs.

We should take note, go online and see how many posts are basically advocating euthanasia for anyone over 50. YahooAnswers.com has many posts regarding the waste of health care for the elderly.

I guess a lot of people who hate unions feel the same way, 30, 35,40 years of service at a company and then dump them on the government to take care of, why should the company that promised them a retirement, a pension that is reduced by the amount Social Security kicks in, have to honor their obligation?

I for one, will be buying American built products until, there are none left to buy.
  • ECR223ECR223 Posts: 10
    Well, I didn't get on here to bad mouth GM, just looking for input for my problems.... Any car you buy will eventually have problems, and I believe more so if it's a new production vehicle... I always tell people to wait a few years and let them work the bugs out first..... And on a side note, I know alot of people are complaining about the OE tires that come on my truck... General Ameritrac whatevers... when snow first hit, the were ok... I put 200 lbs. in the bed... More snow, they sucked.... another 200 lbs... work just fine...
  • At 51900 miles I replaced the OEM tires on my Extended Cab Colorado with a Nokia tire. It has an 60,000 mile warranty and handles snow as well as our front drive Buick does, albeit with 240 lbs in the back of the bed.
    I have had trouble with the service engine soon light and the dealer wanting beacoup bucks to replace parts my mechanic fixes for free. They would not acknowledge the bad fuel cap and I finally just bought one. It now appears, at 75,000 miles, that the fuel filler tube is bent from the weight of the nozzle resting on it when I'm putting gas in. This allows a small enough air leak to have the service engine soon light on and it's one I will have to live with.
  • I have a 2004 GMC Canyon 4 dr and I have experenced this problem. I am in Minnesota so its cold here 5 months out of the year. I did some trouble shooting and this is what I found on my vehicle. My problem was in the drivers door control assembly. I have a schematic of this assembly. I took it apart and checked for water damage and it looked good. If you take the switch apart (seperate the two halfs) there is a small black sealed relay labeled RLY3. This is a relay that runs the auto down feature for the drivers window. It also contols the door locks. I did a GMC repair and tapped it with my finger and it started working!!! I am going to keep an eye on this and will keep you posted. I checked with the dealer and its about $200. (not in stock) I did check my BCM for water damage and mine was ok. I checked GM's TSB's and that was a problem with the 2005 models leaking water from the cowling area. I could not find any TSB's on the fuse box issue.

Thanks SNAPROLL1 for all your comments. By the way, I already hand my cylinder head replaced!!! If anyone needs the information on the notice from GM, let me know and I will get you a copy.

Happy GMC owner (for now)
  • I could use a copy of the letter i never got one thanks.
  • If I can get a fax number and name, I will send it to you.
  • Dont have a fax will try to get one.
  • I have a 2004 colorado crew cab with the same problem with the locks and drivers window. On dec 26th I decided time for a new battery and which I replaced and that's when this problem started. Could this problem come from just disconnecting the terminals?
    Well thanks to HopeGMC it's working again. I took it apart and looked at everything and things looked OK so I tapped the relay and put everything back togather and wow it worked. A GMC/ Chevy repair......
    My hats off to HopeGMC thanks alot. What is the BCM and TSB. Just for reference I might need later. Thanks again... :) ZIPY
  • Zipy, glad to hear you're up and running again...

BCM and TSB are acronyms for "body control module" amd "technical service bulletin".
  • Thanks for the info leadfoot4. BCM & fusebox be the same?
  • "Zip", no, those are seperate components. The BCM and the ECM or PCM (Engine Control Module and Powertrain Control Module) are the main computers in the vehicle.The ECM controls the engine's functions, and depending on how complicated the vehicle, it may be just a subsystem of the PCM. The pcm would then control the transmission, transfer case, and in some cases, the rear axle, if it's an electrically controlled limited slip. The PCM also interfaces with the ABS system.

The power to all of these systems comes from the battery and charging system, via the fuse box (for protection).

Sometimes I long for the simpler days of "points and condensors"......
  • leadfoot4.......ECM I know. didn't know it was PCM also. This is the first I've heard of BCM. Learning curve..........Thanks.......Zipy
  • ECR223ECR223 Posts: 10
    Thank you HopeGMC. I talked about taking the truck in 2 months ago, but still never found the time, and because my other car has been buried under 2 ft of snow. I tried the relay thing today, and as soon as I put it back in the truck, everything started working again. So you saved me more inconvenience, and probably some money... Well at least for now... But thanks for the tip, it was greatly appreciated... It will be so nice to have power door locks again, AND TO BE ABLE TO GO TO A DRIVE THROUGH, OR ATM....