Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki XL-7

Comments

• If you fold the back of 3rd row down, in what position is the second row ?
    Is it in the most forward position or does it let a full grown adult sit normal with foot space and back in good position.
    Or does it just fold up and down without touching the 2nd row

When they say part-time 4wd, what do you do when you drive off snowy
    road to a dry one, does the 4wd go automatic off or do you have to
    take it in and out of 4wd.
    I wonder because I read somewhere that you cannot drive in 4wd on dry
    asphalt.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    You need to take it out of 4wd in order to drive on dry pavement. You can't drive it in 4wd on dry pavement or you run the risk of binding the front axles, and ruining the driveline. Only full time 4wd systems or ones specifically designed for dry pavement can be used on dry pavement. Trooper, QX4, Some pathfinders, some 4runners, landcruisers all have full time or systems able to drive on dry pavement.

-mike
  • giowagiowa Posts: 599
    The XL-7 has removable head rests. If you remove the head rests from the 3rd row of seats (which split fold separately), then you can fold one or both down while leaving the 2nd row all the way back. You would have to move the 2nd row forward in order to fold the 3rd row down with the head rests in place.

A nice touch: the 2nd row seats have height adjustable seat anchors. A little glitch: the cupholders for both the front and 2nd row seats are in the low center console, near the back. Shaped rather square. Looked like many type cups wouldn't fit well and it was a bit awkward reaching for them when in front seats. 3rd row cupholders are round.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    Does the XL7 have the same unimpressive 2.5L six-cylinder that's in the regular Grand Vitara? I thought the XL7 was supposed to have a larger (3.0 liter?) V6 instead.

I saw one with a manufacturer's plate at Lowe's the other day. I thought it looked pretty sharp, 2nd row legroom seemed pretty similar to regular Grand Vitara (not that great), third row seat was folded down to yield a smallish cargo area. I have a good overall impression of Suzukis even though I've never owned one. Considered a Sidekick/4-door Tracker but ended up with something bigger and more expensive (Isuzu Trooper) .
  • mdx1mdx1 Posts: 63
    The XL-7 has a 2.7L V6 engine with 170hp@5500rpm and 178ft-lbs of torque. Click here for more detail.
  • vinneyvinney Posts: 43
    hi everyone, i test drove an xl7 plus model 2wd auto and liked it very much. i only have a few concerns like i think the gas tank is to close to the rear of the vehicle which can be a hazzard in an accident. then there is no cover for the cargo area unless there is one but the salesman just did'nt know and finally i think some of the interior materials look very cheap! what does everyone think of these complaints? let me know, thanks.
  • Hi,

I am wondering if owners of a 4wd XL-7 have measured their fuel consumption yet. The stats read that the XL-7 has a 16.9 gal tank and fuel consumption is 17/20mpg.

So, if I assume that I use up 15 gallons with average mpg 18.5, this only allows me to drive 277.5 miles on one tank. What have owners experienced?

BTW, I owned a Suzuki Sidekick JX 4X4 2dr for 5 years and never had any problems. Great car.
  • I'm seriously considering buying the XL-7. I've test driven about 10 other vehicles and overall this one came in at the top of the list. I was impressed with the standard options on the touring model. However, I have one huge concern. I'm military and have orders to Germany. No dealership seems to know how the warranty situation will work over there. They say if I buy the extended warranty that it would be covered through AAFES. If anyone out there has information about this, could you please respond??
    Thanks!!
    I'd check with Suzuki. Do you know if they sell the XL-7 in Europe? If so, maybe they could do warranty work. However, I wouldn't get one unless I had something in writing from Suzuki explaining what I should do for warranty work while in Germany.

I was stationed in Philippines in '90-'91. When I first arrived I ordered a new Geo Metro (a Suzuki product) from Stateside. I bought it thru the GM dealer on Clark AB, RP. It arrived by boat about 3 months later. Fortunately I didn't have any warranty work while I had it in Philippines. AAFES garage did the routine work: LOF, rotations, etc.

Hate to say it, but if I was you, I wouldn't buy anything. Wait till you get to Europe. Then by a BMW, MB, Saab, Volvo, etc.
    Saw a TV commercial last night for the XL-7. I was a bit surprised to see the ad essentially geared toward women. I think all the drivers pictured were women. Commercial made a big deal about the size and how it "fits". Vividly remember the part showing the women trying to exit the standard full-size SUV and how high the jump out of it when compared to the more normal size door to ground distance on the XL-7. Would be nice if they also commented on performance, utility, off-road capability, etc. I think the XL-7 is equally a guy's vehicle and don't want Suzuki to wrongly genderize it in their commercials.

The print commercial at least points out the towing capability and shows it pulling a nice boat out of a lake.
    The XL7 is pretty small since it's basically an extended Grand Vitara. Not that it is bad, just that it isn't exactly big. What is the towing capaticy rated at?

-mike
  • big_guybig_guy Posts: 372
    I had a chance to load up my family in an XL-7 at the local Auto Show. I had myself in the driver seat, my wife and 3 year old in the 2nd row and put my 7 year old in the 3rd row. There is no room for my 7 year old in the back without moving the 2nd row seats up to a point where there was not enough leg room for my wife in the 2nd row. I like the design of the XL-7 and it is a good idea but it is not big enough. By the way, I'm 6'-7" tall, my wife is 5'-10" tall and my 7 year old is about 4'-7" tall.

What they should do is offer a XL-7 model that only seats 5 and increase 2nd row leg room and leave the back for cargo. The biggest complaint I had on the GV is the lack of cargo room behind the 2nd row and the lack of 2nd row leg room.
  • can tow 3000 lbs. The point that Suzuki is trying to make with the XL-7 is more stowage and more leg room in 2nd row. Use the 3rd row if needed. I am suprised that your 7 year old did not fit in the 3rd row. We had 6' in front row, 6' in second row and 6' in rear, granted it was not at that comfortable but for a quick ride to school, practice or short trip I thought it is more than adequate. When Suzuki did the blind test with the XL-7 the target market is women(60%)Just a little insight from a Suzuki sales person, hope this helps.
    Given its weight and overall dimensions, the XL-7 does a great job providing room for 7 (4 adults and 3 kids). When I poured over the 3 XL-7s at the recent Omaha Auto Show I was able to arrange all 3 rows such that I could just fit into 3rd and 2nd rows and drive like I wanted. I'm 6' 2", 190 lbs. My 5' 8" wife was able to fit into the spaces even easier. The 3rd row wasn't intended for limo space. But it is perfect if my wife and I want to take our 2 kids (ages 8 & 10) and 2 or 3 of their friends.

I think the XL-7 is nicely styled, functional, and tough enough to be more male-oriented. How did that Irish Spring commercial go? Manly, yes, but I like it, too!

I've just got to agitate enough so that Suzuki will put side air bags into it!
  • Can anyone tell me if the XL-7 requires premium gas.
    Also, is there a cover for the cargo area?
    Many thanks...
  • I'm planning to get a 4x4 xl-7 because I believe it suits me
    well(7 seats are mandatory)except that I normally won't be
    doing any hard-core off roading.

I understand that 4 wheel mode is not for dry pavements but
    I would like to use 4H mode when the whether is bad.(rain or snow)
    Will it cause any damage to the drive train if I use it that way?

What should I consider when using 4H mode?

I believe peace of mind AWD will be a more good option for me.
    In your situation, there are a few vehicles that would probably better suit your needs...

Toyota Sequioa (seats 7, AWD Mode)
    Toyota Land Cruiser (seats 7, AWD mode)
    Dodge Durango (seats 7, AWD available)
    Mitsubishi Monter (seats 7, AWD mode)
    Isuzu Trooper (seats 5, AWD mode) you'd have to add a 3rd row from www.littleseats.com

Or, the best bet for you would be an AWD Mini-van. Have you thought about the following:
    Dodge Caravan AWD
    GMC Safari AWD

-mike
  • Don't forget to tell that guy to be prepared to pony up BIG time for all the options that you mention. The XL-7 is priced far below all of those models. Not trying to be PIA but I think Suzuki has a winner here and when compared to vehicles in its' class it stands alone.
  • guxuguxu Posts: 32
    You may also add Acura MDX, but are they in the same price range as XL-7?
  • In response to Premium gass requirements:
    I believe that the XL7 just requires regular 87 Octane gas.

In response to Cargo Cover:
    I believe that if you get the Touring or Limited model, you get a cargo cover.

In response to AWD vs Transfer case:
    You can drive in 4H in the snow. You can shift to 4H on the fly up to 60mph. You can also use 4H in rain, although I would only use it in heavy rain when you expect some traction loss or hydroplaining.

In response to Suzuki target audience:
    Suzuki is targeting Women for the XL7. in particular "soccer" moms that don't want a minivan and don't want a huge monster SUV either.

Regarding other 7 seat automobiles in this class, there are none except for a couple of minivans in this price range. The cheapest 7 seater after the XL 7 is the Dodge Durange, which will cost you between 26L - 31K.

Question:
    Any feedback from current XL7 owners on actual fuel consumption. How many miles were yo able to drive on a tank. What is your mileage City/HWY?

Thanks.
    Trooper S with TOD automatic trans is selling for $21-$23K, Fully loaded LS model with largest SUV moonroof, heated seats, 6 cd changer etc, is going for $24-$25K......3/50K bumper to Bumper warranty, 10/120K powertrain warranty...etc. etc..Add $500 for the 3rd row of seats

How much is the XL-7 actually selling for?

-mike
    According to both the glossy full color XL-7 sales brochure and Suzuki's comparison chart for the XL-7 on their own web site, the XL-7 Standard, Plus and Touring, both 2WD & 4WD, do NOT have a cargo cover. No cargo cover is shown for the Limited in the brochure; however, the detailed web site comparison chart does NOT have data for the Limited. The lack of a cargo cover is odd. It really stands out on the comparison chart. It is not even an option. Bet they rectify this soon or dealers come up with some option they install.

I couldn't find anything about the fuel requirement. Hoping it is 87 regular.
  • Here in the Wash DC area the suzukiXL7 Touring Model 4 wheel drive has a price of 23,400 through Fitzgerald Auto Mall. If you visit fitzmall.com they will show you everything in stock and the price. This price includes everything but taxes and tags
  • Waow, where do you get your Trooper for thousands below invoice? A base Trooper S MSRP is $27,620 and invoice is $24,858. A Trooper LS MSRP is $ 30,765 and invoice is $27,688. This is without delivery charge and with seating for only 5.

I am also curious where you can by this optional 3rd bench seating for $500. Is this an aftermarket product.

To compare with the Suzuki XL7, the base price for a 7 passenger is under $20K. A loaded Touring model with sunroof, CD, etc. and 7 passengers can be had for around $23.5K.
  • If you look at the cargo space in the XL-7 you see what is the hook for the cargo cover near the back of the vehicle. It is the same hook that is on the Grand Vitara. Also there is a square trim piece that looks like an insert where you could mount a cargo cover. I cannot remove the insert by hand and don't want to damage a vehicle on my showroom floor but it looks like something does go there..... I just took a screw driver to that trim piece and it is exactly the same mounting hole as in the Grand Vitara. I took the cargo cover from a Grand Vitara and it fit in the insert holes but was not long enough to attatch to the hooks in the back. Suzuki most likely will be offering something for cargo cover. I hope this post makes sense to all who are reading it. Of course I have the luxury of sitting 20 feet from my suzuki showroom as I am posting. I asked the Suzuki rep about the cargo cover and pointed out what I described above and he said "good question" BYW I won a nice golf shirt for acing my product knowledge test on the XL-7! :)
  • guxuguxu Posts: 32
    Please let us know where you found those price info. I would like Trooper, if the price is right. There is no Suzuki dealer in our city, and I do not like Suzuki's 3/36, 3/36 warranty.

BTW, the lowest price I found for base 4x2 S Trooper is $26.5K.
    There is a $4K incentive on the 2000 Troopers going on now, that is how they are selling so low. If you hop over to the Isuzu Owner's Club here on Edmund's Town hall, people have been posting from NY to Portland, OR about the prices...

As for the 3rd seat, it's an aftermarket company called littleseats. There is a link on my Trooper page http://www.iace.com/ia/trooper and you can get them in factory materials for a # of vehicles...

As an example, I got my Trooper LS w/Moonroof in june for $27,500 before tax. My buddy bought his in November for $26,500, and now there is an addition $1000 rebate above the $3000 he got off so the price would be down to $25,500 for a loaded LS w/moonroof.

-mike

1. Keep in mind you are talking about MY 2000s. They have already depreciated fast. Minute you drive one off lot it is already a MY 1 1/2 year old. Come this fall it will be 2 years old.

2. Do those 3rd rows installed by the aftermarket company meet any safety standards? Was the vehicle even designed for a 3rd row? I'd be nervous and wouldn't put my kids in them. Where do the seatbelts come for them?
    I think the company's name is Little Passenger Seats. I've heard good things about the build quality and fabric (closely matches the original factory upholstery), but I don't think any of their seats fold down.

I would have no safety fears with those seats, but personally I don't want to sacrifice that much cargo room in my Trooper.
    True, the prices paisan quoted are for 2000 Troopers, not 2001. They are realistic prices, though I don't think dealers in all parts of the country (e.g. here in Detroit) will go quite that low. However, Isuzu will have incentives on the 2001 models very soon, and the amounts will increase throughout the model year, just as they have on Troopers for the past several years. A realistic price point when buying a Trooper is dealer invoice minus any current manufacturer incentive.

C'mon folks, have you seen a Trooper? Do you have any idea how large and well-built it is? Even though you're talking about last year's model, the prices he quoted are insanely low. I can think of very few reasons why you would buy any other SUV than a Trooper with your $20,000-28,000.

Getting back on topic, the XL-7 sounds like a pretty good package and a decent value, assuming it comes in well under the 25k range. 2.7L 6-cylinder seems pretty small for a vehicle that's basically 15+ feet long, though.