Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki XL-7

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Trooper S with TOD automatic trans is selling for $21-$23K, Fully loaded LS model with largest SUV moonroof, heated seats, 6 cd changer etc, is going for $24-$25K......3/50K bumper to Bumper warranty, 10/120K powertrain warranty...etc. etc..Add $500 for the 3rd row of seats

How much is the XL-7 actually selling for?

-mike
  • giowagiowa Member Posts: 599
    According to both the glossy full color XL-7 sales brochure and Suzuki's comparison chart for the XL-7 on their own web site, the XL-7 Standard, Plus and Touring, both 2WD & 4WD, do NOT have a cargo cover. No cargo cover is shown for the Limited in the brochure; however, the detailed web site comparison chart does NOT have data for the Limited. The lack of a cargo cover is odd. It really stands out on the comparison chart. It is not even an option. Bet they rectify this soon or dealers come up with some option they install.

I couldn't find anything about the fuel requirement. Hoping it is 87 regular.
  • casey38casey38 Member Posts: 7
    Here in the Wash DC area the suzukiXL7 Touring Model 4 wheel drive has a price of 23,400 through Fitzgerald Auto Mall. If you visit fitzmall.com they will show you everything in stock and the price. This price includes everything but taxes and tags
  • rallychamprallychamp Member Posts: 14
    Waow, where do you get your Trooper for thousands below invoice? A base Trooper S MSRP is $27,620 and invoice is $24,858. A Trooper LS MSRP is $ 30,765 and invoice is $27,688. This is without delivery charge and with seating for only 5.

I am also curious where you can by this optional 3rd bench seating for $500. Is this an aftermarket product.

To compare with the Suzuki XL7, the base price for a 7 passenger is under $20K. A loaded Touring model with sunroof, CD, etc. and 7 passengers can be had for around $23.5K.
  • isellpotiacisellpotiac Member Posts: 122
    If you look at the cargo space in the XL-7 you see what is the hook for the cargo cover near the back of the vehicle. It is the same hook that is on the Grand Vitara. Also there is a square trim piece that looks like an insert where you could mount a cargo cover. I cannot remove the insert by hand and don't want to damage a vehicle on my showroom floor but it looks like something does go there..... I just took a screw driver to that trim piece and it is exactly the same mounting hole as in the Grand Vitara. I took the cargo cover from a Grand Vitara and it fit in the insert holes but was not long enough to attatch to the hooks in the back. Suzuki most likely will be offering something for cargo cover. I hope this post makes sense to all who are reading it. Of course I have the luxury of sitting 20 feet from my suzuki showroom as I am posting. I asked the Suzuki rep about the cargo cover and pointed out what I described above and he said "good question" BYW I won a nice golf shirt for acing my product knowledge test on the XL-7! :)
  • guxuguxu Member Posts: 32
    Please let us know where you found those price info. I would like Trooper, if the price is right. There is no Suzuki dealer in our city, and I do not like Suzuki's 3/36, 3/36 warranty.

BTW, the lowest price I found for base 4x2 S Trooper is $26.5K.
    There is a $4K incentive on the 2000 Troopers going on now, that is how they are selling so low. If you hop over to the Isuzu Owner's Club here on Edmund's Town hall, people have been posting from NY to Portland, OR about the prices...

As for the 3rd seat, it's an aftermarket company called littleseats. There is a link on my Trooper page http://www.iace.com/ia/trooper and you can get them in factory materials for a # of vehicles...

As an example, I got my Trooper LS w/Moonroof in june for $27,500 before tax. My buddy bought his in November for $26,500, and now there is an addition $1000 rebate above the $3000 he got off so the price would be down to $25,500 for a loaded LS w/moonroof.

-mike

1. Keep in mind you are talking about MY 2000s. They have already depreciated fast. Minute you drive one off lot it is already a MY 1 1/2 year old. Come this fall it will be 2 years old.

2. Do those 3rd rows installed by the aftermarket company meet any safety standards? Was the vehicle even designed for a 3rd row? I'd be nervous and wouldn't put my kids in them. Where do the seatbelts come for them?
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    I think the company's name is Little Passenger Seats. I've heard good things about the build quality and fabric (closely matches the original factory upholstery), but I don't think any of their seats fold down.

I would have no safety fears with those seats, but personally I don't want to sacrifice that much cargo room in my Trooper.
    True, the prices paisan quoted are for 2000 Troopers, not 2001. They are realistic prices, though I don't think dealers in all parts of the country (e.g. here in Detroit) will go quite that low. However, Isuzu will have incentives on the 2001 models very soon, and the amounts will increase throughout the model year, just as they have on Troopers for the past several years. A realistic price point when buying a Trooper is dealer invoice minus any current manufacturer incentive.

C'mon folks, have you seen a Trooper? Do you have any idea how large and well-built it is? Even though you're talking about last year's model, the prices he quoted are insanely low. I can think of very few reasons why you would buy any other SUV than a Trooper with your $20,000-28,000.

Getting back on topic, the XL-7 sounds like a pretty good package and a decent value, assuming it comes in well under the 25k range. 2.7L 6-cylinder seems pretty small for a vehicle that's basically 15+ feet long, though.
    How can you say you would have no fears? If the vehicle wasn't designed for it, what makes you think some small aftermarket company has taken safety into account? The various car crash sites aren't going to test it. 'cause it wasn't build by manufacturer. In the absence of credible and reliable info on what these seats and seatbelts could do in emergencies, I think someone would have to be willing to take too high a risk. I wouldn't risk my kids!!! Guess that's why you go by bluedevils! Safety is a concern of mine. Just like performance and reliability. I wouldn't compromise on any of them.
    Outside the US, the 3rd row of seats is standard on the Trooper. The Littlepassenger's 3rd row has 3 point seat belts.

-mike
  • ninajalheninajalhe Member Posts: 3
    Thank you all for the informations.

XL-7 is the only 4wheel vehicle I can find which is in my budget with 7 seats.
    YES, I would love to get the MDX but you know.... money is always the problem.

After market little seats would be good, but something tells me that original
    3rd row seat will be better.

As for the 4H mode, I should only use it on snow or heavy rain.... well it seems OK,
    after all you can't get everything you want with a limited budget.
  • ozrodozrod Member Posts: 1
    Anybody see the orientation of the buckle for the middle seat? How does one attach a regular non tether infant seat there with the strange buckle location? Otherwise had a favorable impression of this vehicle but have three children that need to fit in the middle for trips.
    Not to make you all think I don't like the suzukis, I do like em. Suzukis, Kia Sportage, Isuzus, all underated vehicles IMHO. The suzuki is nice cause it has a traditional oriented engine, with rear wheel bias, and a frame, in a small package. On a side, note, i'll bet the little seats as the 3rd row in a trooper would be more comfy than the 3rd row option in the XL7, but again you get a larger package, with poorer fuel economy.

-mike
    Safety, reliability, durability, and value are the primary reasons I have bought 2 Troopers. My first one was totaled-- I t-boned a 98 Cadillac Seville STS that had run a red light. I walked away from this 40mph collision with a stiff neck and a newfound respect for my Trooper's ability to protect me. I bought another Trooper as soon as I could.

As paisan noted, Trooper has a factory-installed third row seat in non-U.S. markets. IIRC, the Little Passenger Seats unit bolts into the factory-provided hardware that's underneath the carpet in the cargo area of all newer Troopers (including U.S. models). That's why I would feel safe carrying people back there.
    Like paisan, I drive a Trooper. Also like paisan, I like the Suzuki products. I strongly considered a four-door Sidekick each of the last 2 times I've ended up buying a Trooper. The Suzuki products seem to be well-built and reliable. Like Trooper, they offer good value and are quite underrated.

I don't hang out in too many SUV forums, but I am participating in this one because I like the Suzuki products and I'm interested to hear more from others about the XL-7 as well as share my own impressions.
  • ogdensogdens Member Posts: 9
    I've read the postings on this already, but I am hoping someone can give me an expanded answer to my question: For on-road use only, does a traditional 4WD system that divides the power equally to all 4 wheels prevent slipping and provide as good control in rain and snow as a more modern AWD system with traction control?

I am really agonizing over this one. I like the price and features of the XL-7, but from what I have read, other AWD SUVs offer better accident avoidance (and thus, safety) than the XL-7 with it's part time 4WD and no traction control.
    Hi Ogdens,

You seem extremely concerned about loss of traction due to snow or rain. If you are agonizing this much on this particular item, then I think you should go with an AWD vehicle. With an AWD vehicle, you don't have to think about weather conditions, since it is permanently engaged. With 4WD, as in the Susuki, you need to manually put it in 4WD mode in order to engage it, which means that you need to anticipate the road conditions and decide for yourself if you need 4WD.
    So, maybe you should look at the Subaru Forester, Honda CRV, Ford Escape, Mazda Tribute, which are in the same price class. What you looze however is seating for 7. There are some minivans out there with seating for 7 but they run around $30K as well.
    Good luck!
    Look into the AWD Caravan, GMC Safari, Trooper (with extra seat), Montero (not sport) all those have AWD systems and seating for 7. Also the Sequioa, and Land Cruiser.

-mike
  • 77777777777777 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a suzuki XL-7 or a nissan xterra. They are both in my budget. I prefer the XL-7 because of its safety features. However, I am not quite sure when they are put to the driving test which will prove better.
    I've heard the X-terra is overpriced for the power and non-up to date design. The suzuki is also an older design but I believe it has coil rears and is much cheaper (actual selling price) than the Nissan X-terra is.

-mike
    The 3.3L V6 in the Xterra is old, and it's overmatched by a vehicle as heavy as Xterra. It has only 170hp. Decent torque at 200 ft-lbs, but it's not a peppy motor, even with the manual transmission. Of course, the 2.7L 6 in the XL-7 might be just as overmatched.

Like paisan, I consider the Xterra to be way overpriced for what you get. It's a great-looking truck with some excellent features, but it's just not a good value, IMO.
  • tistevetisteve Member Posts: 142
    I think an important point needs to be made about AWD vs. 4WD. Most (not all) vehicles that have AWD have what I call "car type" all wheel drive. They do not have a transfer case and usually won't let you "lock it in" all wheel drive. The vehicle decides for you when you need it and activates it automatically. This system is fine for typical snow/heavy rain/ice while on road, but the lack of a 4 low gear and the ability to force it into AWD prevents it from being "real" four wheel drive.
    One thing that impresses me about the Suzuki is that it is one of the smaller SUV's that has "real" four wheel drive (unlike the RAV4, CRV, Escape/Tribute). It has a transfer case that lets you select 2WD, 4HI, or 4LO wheel drive. It has auto hubs that are always locked and you can shift into 4HI while moving up to 50-60 mph's(No manual hubs, like my Samurai had)
    The AWD systems wait until there is wheel slip before engaging, I prefer to be locked in to 4wd before my wheels start to slip. But if thinking about all that is too much trouble, then AWD would be the preferable choice.
    You may never need 4LO, but when you do, you'll be glad you had it.
  • isellpotiacisellpotiac Member Posts: 122
    Good point regarding the active 2 speed transfer case. Another selling point for the Grand Vitara and XL-7 is the ladder box frame construction. This is the same way they build Jimmy's, Explorer's and Pick-up trucks. This construction is for true off road driving.
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    Due to the "marketing types" at the auto makers, many consumers have a misconception about AWD.

THere are technically two types of systems that use the "AWD" moniker. The most common, like on the RAV4, Escape, et al., is really an automatic 4WD system and should be called A4WD. These are normally FWD vehicles with 100% of the torque on the front axle, until slippage is detected then and then torque is shifted in some percentage to the rear wheels. The reverse of this is the Nissan PF LE, which puts all the torque on the rear normally and then shifts it up front.

Then there are true "all wheel drive" systems like on the ML320, some Subarus, the RX300, and others. These systems have torque on all four wheels all the time, in varying percentages. Torque is shifted around as needed. These systems should be called AWD. These vehicles are inherently safer because torque/traction is spread amongst all four wheels BEFORE something bad happens.

TC
    You are correct. Some of the cheaper vehicles that sport the AWD nomenclature are re-active instead of pro-active.

My Trooper is 80Rwd/20fwd when in TOD(ake AWD) mode and up to a 50/50 split. This has led me to safer driving than had it been a fully reactive system.

Reactive Systems include also:
    Tahoe/Suburban
    Exploder
    Expedition

Active non 100% to one axle systems:
    All Subarus
    Land Cruiser
    Sequioa
    Trooper
    Durango
    ML

-mike
  • sahara111sahara111 Member Posts: 51
    Paisan and Tony have it right.

But to sum it up for those less informed on the subject and wanting to make an informed decision it boils down to straight-line stability: a drivetrain that allows 4wd full-time - including dry pavement - means that it has some kind of center differential system (different approaches to this...) which, in turn, means that it can shift power (torque) back and forth between the 2 axles.

The net effect is that the vehicle is much LESS likely to get turned sideways than a traditional "shift-on-the-fly" part time system that simply locks the 2 axles together at the same speed. In essence, the vehicle is "self-correcting" with regards to trying to keep a straight line - which is exactly what you want.

No where is this more important than the exact situation the vast majority of American SUV owners find themselves when they need (want?) 4wd/AWD - snow and ice covered pavement. While a traditional 4wd system is fine on dirt roads, inching up steep inclines, crossing streams, etc - it's not like it's going to slide out on you in that scenario and get you sideways. But snow and ice covered pavement - where most American SUVs now days seem to be used - is another story.

Remember, your most fundamental concern is keeping the vehicle on the road. If you're considering an SUV - a vehicle that in most cases is significantly heavier than most other vehicles - it carries more momentum and once it starts to slide is tougher to get back in a straight line. Your goal is to avoid that situation.

Therefore, I HIGHLY recommend that anyone contemplating purchase of an SUV consider the above FIRST - then they can worry about things like gas mileage, body "style", interior "appointments", what the neighbors "think", etc. You should also get ABS brakes - almost standard equip now days - since it is critical to stopping heavier vehicles in that same snow and ice.

Good luck and stay safe!

-Sahara111
    4 wheel discs and good tires.

Luckily tires aren't a big concern cause you can always change em out once you purchase the vehicle. 4 wheel discs though are a bit more difficult.

IMHO Tires and Brakes are the most important items, since they help you stop, and tires are what goes between you and the road.

-mike
  • hlb10hlb10 Member Posts: 4
    I test drove a XL-7 a few weeks ago and enjoyed the ride. I have a family of five and was motivated about the third seat in the back, but the space was a little smaller than what I needed. I feel the XL-7 is a good vehicle and will catch on as more people stop and drive it. I chose the Montero Sport LS instead because it appears to have more width space that better fit my need. The only thing I did not like about the Highlander and XL-7 was the front center console arm rest. It's to small the was they did it. The Montero Sport give you a full center console arm rest. If you can live with the XL-7 arm rest I say go for it because the motor and steering feel good and strong.
  • cartex2000cartex2000 Member Posts: 3
    Just bought my XL-7. My family of five with 9 year old, 11 year old and 14 month old fit perfectly. I think it was the perfect choice for us. The ride is smooth and the vehicle feels solid. I recommend it to everyone.
    Congrats on your purchase.

I am interested to know if you can fit all 3 of your kids in the 2nd row seat. I assume that your 14 month old is still in a car seat. Do you have the car seat in the middle?

Thanks.
  • haze3haze3 Member Posts: 2
    I'm deep into a decision between the MPV and XL-7. I wanted a smaller van or an SUV with 3rd seat. The seat arrangement,crash tests, quality of the MPV are all excellent but the Suzuki offers that 3rd seat in a good looking package with 4WD for a few thousand less. I don't know too much about Suzuki, especially quality, and this worries me becuase the interior of the XL-7 looks cheap and on a recent test drive, the noise coming from the activated ABS sounded terrible (and cheap). Safety is a prime concern and I can't seem to get any crash test reports at this time. Does anyone have any info. w.r.t. crash tests and quality control of the XL-7?
    It has a real frame not a uni-body. Just my personal preference.

-mike
  • cartex2000cartex2000 Member Posts: 3
    RallyChamp... We have the carseat in the second seat passenger side. We didn't try putting all three in the second seat. The other kids take turns riding in the third seat. They like it back there and that was one reason we needed the third seat --- to keep them separated! We are still enjoying the vehicle very much.
  • 143ally143ally Member Posts: 9
    I test drove an XL-7 Touring with an auto the other day. The V6 was no doubtly underpowered, but the ride was superb. For $25K, you get a lot of car for the money. I am 5'6" and the third row was not a problem. The transfer case is placed too far back for easy access shift-on-the-fly, but I can deal with it. Nice looking SUV too.
  • cololadycololady Member Posts: 3
    After much research & looking, we bought an XL-7 Touring model, auto trans, 4X4, trading in our '97 Outback. The Outback was the worst car I've ever owned, but that's another story! Thanks to Edmunds, we went in prepared, knowing what our trade was worth & what we wanted to pay for the XL-7. After being unable to deal with our local "too fat" dealer, we drove 100 miles to Denver & made a great deal (with extras thrown in). We wanted a 4X4 7-seater & didn't want to spend over $25K. Ended up paying $23,500 & got more for our car than was offered at our local dealer, for a total savings of $3,000. On top of that, we love the 5.9% Suzuki financing...it made the deal!
    Hmm interesting, I'd like to hear more about it. (I have an uncle with a '97 OB, my dad has a '97 legacy, and about 5 other subies in the family)

-mike
    Somtimes it's just depend on the person. Almost no review says Honda Passport is good. But check the owner review on carpoint.msn.com, you will see most owner believe Passport is great.

For Outback, I have a friend owns 95 model. I drived it once to help him to pick up his new car last year. The handling of THAT Outback is just so-so, the audio control is cheap and bad arranged. The brake is horrible, which I was told is like this from day one.

However, my friend's wife just likes her Outback. And she refused to drive her hunsband's 2000 626, even after her Outback refused to start.
    Yeah, I've got loyal Subaru owners in my family, too (my brother in Denver is on his 4th). I absolutely loved the look of this Outback & had to have it! I had never owned an AWD or 4WD before, but definitely wanted one for more confidence in our Colorado conditions. I spent more money driving that car than any American car I ever owned! The "recommended service" was very expensive (I didn't even go to the dealer for it); the radio died & had to be replaced; the alternator died in the middle of the night driving thru Arizona just this past Christmas, and that was it...I'd had it! (I found out later that this was a recall item on '97's, but Subaru told me my car "didn't qualify".) If the car had enough redeeming qualities I could forgive it, but the car is anything but comfortable, the road noise horrible, and some of its features very badly designed, like a retractable cup holder right over the radio...stupid! After storing your cold drink in there, you push it in & condensation drips right onto your radio, which is what killed mine. It had no arm rests on the inside; the back seat was very uncomfortable. Another hassle: one winter day I left the car running to keep it warm while I took the kids into a convenience store for a snack. I locked the doors and took my remote opener so I could re-open it...NOT! The #?$@ thing would not unlock the doors while the engine was running!!!! WHY??? TOtally inconvenient. There happened to be cops in the store, but they said they weren't allowed to unlock cars anymore. My husband had to drive 70 miles RT to bring us a key. Sooooo, overall, I had a less-than-pleasant experience with my Subie...no loyal owner here! I have a Suburban with 180,000 mi. & just had the tranny rebuilt, otherwise, no major problems. I previously drove an '89 Olds & sold it in great condition with 160,000 miles w/ no engine or tranny problems...cost me almost nothing to drive. The only thing I can say that was great about this car was the sure-footedness...in snow and/or ice, you always felt so secure, as if you were driving on dry road. But it wasn't enough...
    2 things. 1) All the cars I know can't unlock the doors (non-subies) with the remote if the car is running 2) Subaru Road Side assistance will unlock em for free IIRC.

But to each his own...

-mike
    It is a safty feature that remote control should not work if the car is running. A Nissan owner just complained his new PF does NOT have this feature. But if the car is running, how could cololady lock her subie in the first place? While the key is in, and the door is open, the power lock should unlock the door automatically when the user tried to lock the doors. This should give the owner enough warning.
    You can lock the car doors manually or via the door switch internally. I don't think she used the remote to lock it after getting out, while the car was running. For example, you can leave the car running, open the door, lock the doors, slam the door shut (as if you were going to drive) and the doors will stay locked. But had she gotten out, left the doors un-locked, and tried to lock them using the FOB, it would not have locked them.

-mike
    Ok, Ok, so I'm blonde... My negative door lock experience happened with approx. 80,000 mi. on a 4-year-old car...I don't think Subaru would still be willing to help me, would they? I didn't buy the car new, so I'm not familiar with their RA plan. In any case, to reiterate HOW it happened, with the car running, I removed the remote from my keychain, opened the door, locked the doors with the power lock button on the DOOR of my car (not my remote), and closed the door. I had no clue the remote wouldn't open it again. Help me with this now...remember, I'm blonde...WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS FEATURE???
    Now we know old Subie does not have "anti-lock" power lock features. And I've see my friend's Outback only has one-stage power lock (one press and all doors and trunk opened), so I was not surprised.

Let's go back to our XL-7 topic. I did test drive XL-7 yesterday. It's not as large as I thought, which is good. The ride is smooth, and handling is good, even it's not an uni-body.

The third-row seats are so tight. Sb. said they can fit adults?! The sunroof is even smaller than the one on my sedan. No wonder it's cheap. There is a little button for rear AC, but it is totally blocked by the auto shifter.

The AC system has problem in my tested XL-7. That simply lets me worry about Suzuki's building quality.

Unlike other models, the air direction was not controlled by a button, instead, it has a slider, which is difficult to move. Any XL-7 owner experienced that problem?

I certainly wish to see the feekbacks about quality issues from XL-7 owners. Suzuki claims "Our warranty covers so much because we're so confident in the vehicles we build", but their warranty is actually among the worst.
  • adomenicadomenic Member Posts: 8
    thanks for all the help, but one more thing, I would like to connect my ipod to my radio, is there a connector either with a changer or something i could use or am I stuck with an fm transmitter or buying a whole new system

thanks
  • slinky1slinky1 Member Posts: 42
    In regards to GM selling stock in Suzuki, it's kind of a must for GM, they are simply running out of cash!!
    They predict their employee buyouts as a result of massive job cuts could top $1 billion!!!!!
    Coupled with their desperate need to spend money developing better product, they simply don't have the cash!!!!!
    GM retained 3% of suzuki as an act of good faith, suzuki is "holding" the other 17.5% so GM can buy back at will, also an act of good faith.
    GM is allowing suzuki to build a version of the 3.6L in Japan for suzuki product, they are sharing their Theta platform and they are making plans to strengthen their joint supply lines.
    The GM/Suzuki partnership is alive and even stronger than ever, GM just needs cash.
    Slink.
  • lunalight23lunalight23 Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up my new XL-7 today. I noticed that the gas tank is located at the very back of the car. I thought this was kind of strange. Isn't it usually more towards the middle of the vehicle? Is this a safety issue if the XL-7 is hit from behind? I'm hoping that someone can give me some good news. This is the only concern I have about the XL-7. I love it otherwise!!!
    I have a rear fuel on the Trooper and my '97 rodeo... No worries for me, since you have a full frame like those, it shouldn't be a concern!

-mike
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Suzuki's Crosscurrents (really, it's a wagon isn't it?).

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
This discussion has been closed.