Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki XL-7

Comments

• pizardpizard Member Posts: 45
    I know there are huge differences between the 2. I don't have a 'need' for one over the other. I am driving a minivan now and I just don't know if I can go back to driving "low" to the ground and being in a smaller space. Yet, I hear great things about the Verona and how excellent the ride is. But, would I rather be in the XL-7 for hauling capabilities , not that I do it often but if I did. :)

Thanks for the info.
  • fillyfanfillyfan Member Posts: 1
    We are considering a used XL-7('01). anyone have any recommendations? we need reliable transportation for my wife and kids. any help would be appreciated
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    I had a 2001 XL-7 Limited with only 22,000 miles on it and sold it last year to a friend and purchased a 2003 limited. She has about 35K on it now and has had no problems with it. I would not have purchased the 03 if the 01 was not a good solid truck. If you change your own oil you should not need to see the dealer except for routine maintance.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Good luck with your choice! Sorry, I can't exactly help you... :-(
    to my 2003 Suzuki XL7. Just to let you all know, they are really nice and they add a touch of class to the SUV. Check them out on eBay!
  • flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    what lights? Give us a Ebay link.. please
    Just type in "H4 HID" into eBay and you get a lot of items up for bid. :-D
  • bran_boibran_boi Member Posts: 8
    Okay I was reading up today on Suzuki.com and they recomend oil changes every 7500 miles. I think they are nuts. I have owned all Fords and you and it is a must to change the oil every 3000 miles. I drive mostly city to work and back daily I do not speed but I am 23 so I like to go. I am planning on changing the oil at 1000 miles and then at every 3000 am I the one who is nuts for doing that? Should I use Synthetic oil? I love my XL-7 it is the best vehicle I have ever owned. I can not believe a 4x4 can drive so smooth. I used to drive a ford ranger I consider the xl7 a major upgrade. Any advice would be great.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I love the oil wars - never been able to find a good explanation of where the 3,000 mile interval came from. I follow my owner's manual (7,500 mile interval for normal service).

If you really care that much about the oil, spend $10 on an oil analysis instead of dumping good oil out.

Lots more in Engine Oil - A slippery subject Part 2 and Synthetic motor oil.

Steve, Host
    I think I have made up my mind. I think I am going to change it at 1000 and put in synthetic and change it every 5000 miles. There are so many opinions on this. I am just going to go with my gut here and not worry about it because it is under warranty.
  • asxasx Member Posts: 10
    I wouldn't try to change oil changing schedule too much from the manufacturer's specs. Believe me, they know better. Especially the first oil change, unless you are absolutely sure that the original oil that the manufacturer put in is not a special oil (in many cars it is) that helps the engine to break in. Remember it's the service stations that want you to change oil every 3K miles - they make money on it.
    Oh Man. I am just going to call the service departments of the Suzuki Dealerships in town and see what they say. Everyone has great answers they are just not the same. My Grandpa worked at GM for over 40 years and he would kick my rear if I told him I was changing my oil every 7500 miles :)
    LOL..oil
    Okay I want to get remote start installed on my 04 xl-7. Is there a chip in the key for security? Do you have any recommendations on remote start kits or installer?
    The only setback to this is that the warranty will be void, or at least parts of it I think. And no, you do not need a chip to install it, but better let the guys at Best Buy, Car Toys, or wherever you're getting it to install it for you. That way if you have any problems, you can take it back!
    Okay I want the horn on my XL-7 to honk when I hit the lock button on the Keyless entry remote. Most cars have that feature but I can not figure out how to enable it or even if it has that feature. Does anyone know? Do I have to by the Suzuki security system?
    I don't know if it's possible but for some reason when I close the door and almost simultaneously press the lock button the car will honk. But if you close the door and THEN high the lock button it won't. I'd like to know if it's possible too!
  • dce3535dce3535 Member Posts: 6
    I hv a 2004 Suzuki, and I got a security system installed for about $175. I also requested that a chirping sound be added to the keyless lock/unlock operation. Maybe u shld try the same.
    Doesn't that void your warranty?
    Doesn't the 04 XL7 come standard with the security system, or are you saying you bought a generic model?
    To my knowlegde, the 04 model comes only with keyless entry.When I got my XL7, I expressed my interest in getting a security system to the sales manager, and he directed me to a local supplier ( he said it would be cheaper to go directly to the supplier, as the dealership would have got the job done from the same supplier and charged me much more). The warranty shouldnt be affected, since the security chip is pretty much a simple add-on feature, and does not involve any manipulation with the engine, or any other parts.
    Well, I checked the Suzuki auto website and it says keyless entry with PANIC feature is standard meaning it does have an alarm system. Also, getting a generic system (like what the dealer is going to do for you) voids the electrical warranty, even if it is just a single chip.
    Thanks for the info about the warranty. That is the benefit of interaction in this group.

While keyless entry is standard, what I got added on is a theft deterrent system, which does not come standard. Anyway, I guess, it is a matter of choice.

BTW, I would like to know what air pressure is maintained in the XL7 tires. The manufacturer specs seem too low.

Thanks...
    Suzuki sells the security system seperate but at suzparts.com you can get it for a 144.46. It plugs directly into your keyless entry and is operated by the kelyess entry remote. If it voids the electrical warranty I don't know.
    Nope, the security system on suzparts.com is the OEM security system so it doesn't void the electrical warranty.
  • parideparide Member Posts: 52
    If you look back through this forum, you'll find that the tire pressure issue has been raised several times. For the 2001 and 2002 XL-7s, the recommended pressures were 26psi in the front and 36psi in the rear (I don't know if these recommendations were changed for 2003-04). However, those who tried to run with the recommended pressures found the steering and control of their vehicle to be sloppy, resulting in their raising the pressure in either the front, or all four tires. My 2002 XL-7 was dealer prepped with all four tires at 36psi, and that's the pressures I ran with until replacing the OEM tires (Bridgestone Duellers)at 23K Miles. The Bridgestones wore badly and had severe cupping when I replaced them - they sounded like I was running on studded snow tires. I wondered if the 36psi I was using in the front had something to do with this, but since replacing the tires, I've found that many people have had the same problem with the Duellers regardless of pressure. I now have 14000 miles on Continental Contris which I have run with 32psi in the front and 36psi in the rear.
    The recommemded tire pressure for the 2004 XL7 is still 26 and 36 psi resp.

The first time I checked ever since I purchased this vehicle (about 1800 miles), all four had 36 psi.

I think 32/36 makes more sense.
    my dealer prepped our 02 XL7 at 38 psi all 4. I retate the tires at 6000 miles and they are wearing like iron. Hardly any wear at 16k miles..
    The alignment was off at ther factory with ours and was corrected as we picked it up. That could be the cupping problem you had. ALSO rotating the tires is VERY important..
    We love a hard ride anyway..
    Frank
    Re: Message 1069

At 16K miles, I thought my tires were wearing like iron also. However, somewhere between 19K and 20K miles I noticed the cupping problem. I had the alignment checked at that time, and it was good -very little adjustment needed. The cupping seemed to only occur with the front tires. I had been rotating the tires every 5000 miles, so when I saw the cupping in the front tires, I did a rotation slightly early - by 23K miles, all four tires were shot. If you look back through this forum, you'll find others that had this same problem.
    Could someone describe what cupping is? I hv no idea what it is! What happens if yr tires hv the cupping problem? Are they still usable or do you replace them?

And any opinion on which are the best tyres for the XL7..

Thanks.
  • biff1biff1 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2003 Suzuki XL-7. I would like to do some off roading with it but the tires don't seem suitable. Could I put a 70 series or bigger tire on it and does anyone have experience off roading with their Suzuki
    Sorry I can't help but did you check with your Suzuki dealer or a Bridgestone/Firestone service center? They'd probably be able to help you out. :-D
  • jpt1jpt1 Member Posts: 3
    HI just wanting to know wheather or not you can use the suzi as a 4x4 on wet roads !!! just bought mine , nice vehicle , any advise please ??
    where are the messages 1074-1076 i posted them now i cant see them who playing tricks here??/
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Your message (#1076) was removed by another host and you should have received an email.

tidester, host
  • bobp11bobp11 Member Posts: 24
    JPT1 - You might do a search in this section for this topic which has been brought up before. Also, your owners manual addresses this as well. I think you can drive in 4wd on wet roads, but don't try it on dry ones since you'll run the risk of messing up the gearing in the diffs. You might also check out the "Zukiworld" web site. There's all sorts of techy stuff on there and I am sure you will get a better answer.
  • amatt76amatt76 Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I are looking for a used vehicle and recently came across the XL-7. Is it reliable above 50,000 miles? How does is do with repairs? Is it very expensive to keep running? We have an 8 month old so we aren't too concerned about not having a lot of room in the back but it is the price on a used one that really makes us look at it.
    cheers for that mate , just that i couln't be bothered reading through 1080 messages.
    but i did :- )
    VERY reliable and very inexpensive to fix. Fantastic suv..

Frank
  • bigdaddyo48bigdaddyo48 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 XL7 EX auto trans. 5 spd. When I crank it up in the morning the engine idles at around 17 hundred rpm and stays in that range for seeveral minutes. Is this normal? AFter about 7 minutes, the idle speed slows down to about 900 rpm which seems still pretty high. Is all of this normal for this vehicle?
    My 2003 does that too, even when the weather isn't cold. When I start the car up, the tach stay above 1500RPM (probably at 1700RPM is where it is) for about 2 minutes. Then it goes to normal at abour 900RPM too. I think that is normal for this car. Oddly, my old 2001 didn't do that.
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    I had a 2001 Limited and it did not do that and then I got a 2003 Limited and it also did not do the long high revs. It will go high (15-17k) for only about 3 seconds and them down to 700 RPM. Both have automatics.
    My 2002 Touring automatic runs exactly the way 5greyhounds described when starting. It settles in to 700RPM after only a few seconds.
    I recently received an e-mail from a representative at Suzuki. Enclosed was a word document of the 2005 lineup.

XL-7: Get Into a Family Adventure
    A stylish, midsize SUV with the following major standard equipment: 2.7-Liter, 185-horsepower V6 engine; air conditioning with automatic climate control and micron air-filtration; five-speed automatic transmission (models with automatic transmission); 16-inch aluminum alloy wheels; power windows, locks and heated mirrors; AM/FM in-dash CD player with seven speakers including sub-woofer; keyless remote entry with panic button; cruise control; “drive-select” push-button four-wheel-drive system with instrument panel indicator (four-wheel-drive models only) and hard spare tire cover. A Consumer Digest “Best Buy” in 2003 and 2004.

Available features include: Third-row seating with rear air conditioning; five-speed automatic transmission; leather seating surfaces; heated front seats; power tilt-and-slide sunroof; rear spoiler; floor mats; and a in-dash six-disc CD changer; side-step running boards.

 2005 XL-7 trim levels
     LX: Well-equipped, five-passenger model, with air conditioning, a seven speaker CD audio system, and power windows and locks. Available with manual or five-speed automatic transmission in two-wheel drive or four-wheel drive.
     LX III: (with third-row option): Well-equipped seven-passenger model.
    • Three-row seating with rear air conditioning. Available in two-wheel drive or four-wheel drive, with a standard five-speed automatic transmission.
     EX: ‘Loaded’ five-passenger model. Available in two-wheel drive or four-wheel drive, standard five-speed automatic transmission, with leather package and power tilt-and-slide sunroof.
     EX III: (With third-row option): ‘Loaded’ seven-passenger model.
    • Three-row seating with rear air conditioning, side-step running boards and available with leather package. Two-wheel-drive and four-wheel-drive options.

 Changes on all XL-7 trim levels
     New tire pressure monitoring system
     New chrome “S” badge on spare tire cover

*Question marks do not mean anything.
  • lkrk11lkrk11 Member Posts: 15
    Can anybody out there recommend any good or great all season tires for my XL7. I have looked and looked for some nice all season, tires for mine and have had no luck. The odd size has seemed to be one of the problems. I was hoping for some nice Uniroyal Tigerpaws, had those on my 98 Suzuki they where really nice.

Snow & Water traction is my biggest priorities. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
  • parman1parman1 Member Posts: 1
    this was a muffler question but im interested in the dvd player. Does an overhead dvd work in a xl-7 ? I am thinking of installing one but am worried if it will interfere with rear air conditioning duct work.
  • avenger1avenger1 Member Posts: 90
    My cold idle runs at about 1700 as well, and doesn't settle until about 3-5minutes later. This usually means a heavy clunk trying to shift into reverse and drive. All my other vehicles will kick down in RPM if you step on the gas a little. but not the xl-7.

Could I need a reprogramming of the ECM?

GregC
  • baldybaldy Member Posts: 1
    I'm over joyed to find a forum devoted to xl-7 owners.I have recently bought my first suzuki xl-7 and I'm very pleased with what i got for my money. this is easily the best equiped 4x4 on the market for the price.Now for information.What are the best replacement tires for this vehicle,i was lead to belive that the bridgestone duellers are only good for about 25k miles.All in put will be appriciated.Also does any one know if suzuki uses a special engine oil in the new cars to break in thier engines or should i get my first oil change after the 1000k miles.
    I helped someone out on this board a couple of months ago with this question. Yes, an overhead DVD system does work in the XL7. I didn't get one (my DVD player is under the front passenger seat), but my dealer had one on display a couple weeks back. Looked nice! But, I'm confused as to why you think it would interfere with the rear air conditioning duct. That duct is above the second-row bench and the DVD monitor goes above the FIRST-row seats.
  • kc5ytikc5yti Member Posts: 38
    Mine does the same, My guess is it is normal engine warmup process. It settles down much faster in the summer than in the winter. Obviously the ambient temperature is much lower in the winter. I have had several vehicles in the past that do the same thing. In fact, my old 82 Mustang did something similar. It was related to the carburetor. Once the engine warmed up to operating temp, it settled to the standard idle. One thing I have noticed over the last few months is that my XL-7 is idling a little bit rough. I think this may be due to some build up of carbon in the combustion chamber. I noticed this when I changed the plug and looked into the cylinders. I will be trying a fuel additive to see if it can help clean them out. Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Regards,

kc5yti
    2002 XL-7
This discussion has been closed.