Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki XL-7

Comments

• bunoybunoy Posts: 7
    Hello everyone. I have owned my XL7 for about 9k miles now. No problems so far. I would like to know if everyone here gets the recommended servicing done;ie the 6 months service, the 12 months service etc. Is the scheduled service really, really necessary or would my money be better saved? I was quoted about $110 for the 6 mths and $250 for the 12 mths. I did not get the 6 mths service btw.

PS: Was great in snow today. The 4wd works GREAT !! Just worried about not being able to stop:))
  • mopar67mopar67 Posts: 728
    welcome to the Suzuki club!
    You will find that these hamsters are tough, well made, and dependable. I have 8K on my Vitara no problems save for an alternator that went south.

As far as the service interval, check your manual rather then go by the dealer recommendation.
    The dealer will recommend stuff that is designed to MAKE money for them not necessarily for you.

Paride..keep us all posted on your mystery brake light. My guess is that a sensor is going whacko on you but prudence dictates you stay on top of this and make every effort to keep the dealership advised.
  • Just picked up our 2002 xl-7 today, with about 18k miles. The tires, like most here it seems like, were already showing a lot of wear. I was looking at getting new ones, and wanted to try and get something larger, to give a little more ground clearance and better appearance. Has anyone gone with a larger tire like a 235/70-16?
    Just eyeballing it, it looks like there would be enough room, but wondered if somebody had already tried it. Thanks
    dave
  • I am getting ready for the 15k service and was wondering if anyone has had it done yet and if so what was the cost?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,451
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will suggest what we think it should cost.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• kimiedkimied Posts: 2
    Hello all, we are new to the boards. Just purchased the XL-7, 02 Limited Model on the 30th. My husband and I LOVE it, except......for the whistle!!! When it reaches anywhere between 60 and 70 mph, there is this annoying whistle that seems to come from the middle of the dash board. It doesn't happen all the time, but maybe the wind needs to be just right??? We have only had this XL-7 for 3 days so I am wondering if it just needs to be "broken in"? I can't stand the sound though!

Any thoughts? Should we contact the dealer? Thanks for all your good postings, we really love what we've gotten and do feel like it is a really well kept secret.

Kimie and John

PS What is a reverse sensor system???

• Specific problem: I just purchased the 2000 GV. There's a squeaky-rattle in the dash area near the driver's side. Does anyone have infomation about this matter, specifically, how to resolve it?

Specific thanks: Before summer arrives I will have the A/C system checked. Thanks for the advance warnings; it's always nice to know about problems in advance.

Useful site: TireRack.com. I'm a very satisfied customer!

e-mail to Fiddler Lady
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Welcome aboard, Kimied!

My husband and I LOVE it, except......for the whistle!!!

I understand that with the right combination of terrain and modulation of speed you can get the whistle to play a reasonable rendition of the 1812 Overture - quite fascinating! If you can get your GV to backfire it's really dramatic! ;-)

tidester, host
  • flyingnflyingn Posts: 213
    welcome Kimmy. We too have a 02 Limited. What color is yours? Ours is pearl white.
    Anyway.. is the ac or outside vents and fan on?? I have been in many XL7's and have never heard such a whistle. Id take it back to the dealer and show them. This is a warranty problem.
    Let us know what happens?
    BTW- where are you from? Where did u get it?

Frank & Terry
  • kimiedkimied Posts: 2
    Hi Frank and Terry,
    No, the AC is not on. The outside vents are open and I think the fan was on the lowest setting. Oh, it is soooo annoying! It has dramatically declined in duration (thank goodness!), but still happens. I guess we'll have to take it in. Dang! We are from Portland, OR and we got in in SE Portland. It is Black (we would have rather gotten the silver or the white--but they were out of those colors). The Burgandy looked too brown for us, the green too light and my husband did not like the dark blue at all. So we got the all purpose black, which is just fine!!!! Would like to know again what the rear sensor system is. We keep reading people say they are going to install one in their vehicles. We'll let you know what happens with the dealer...
    hi again Kimmy. Im guesssing that this is the sensor that beeps faster as you get closer to the object behind you as you are backing. You don't need this in an XL7. Its not that high of a vehicle. You can buy these at parts places like Pep Boys etc. You mount a sencor beneith the rear bumper and run the wires inside to the drivers seat and install the beeper under the dash. Its a waste of $$ IMHO. Whats your email Kimmy. Ill email you some pics of our XL7.
    Mine is frankie_gn@yahoo.com
    Frank
  • I have a 01 XL7 and I have been meaning to have a rear sensor system put on. The problem with the XL-7 is the tire carrier sticks out a little further than the bumper so once in awhile you forget it is there if you are doing a quick backup. I have a 2000 Windstar SEL with the sensors on it and they really are nice. I would not consider it a waste of money. If it saves you one time it is money well spent.
  • Still haven't seen any responses to posts about putting larger tires on the XL-7? Has anyone done this? and what tires did you put on?
  • Hi,

Just bought 2002 used XL7 with 10K mileage. Just want to check, how do you know if the oil need to be replaced already? forget about the service period suggestion, can you determine by the color of the oil?

Have anyone of you use synthetic oil for this XL7? and is it worth it?

Thanks a lot.

Danny
    Unless you have the receipts on this, best bet is go have it done or do it yourself. The color of the oil is not a reliable inidcator of the need to change the oil since all modern oils contain detergent despersants which serve to hold the dirt particles in suspension until the oil is drained out.
    Synthetic oil is a very good investment in your rig! SInce it is 'man made" it can be produced to conform to the necessary standards far better than dino oil. YOu have four camshafts located at the farthest point away from your oil sump. Synthetics will pump up more quickly in cold weather while maintaining viscosity grade during hot weather. Expensive yes, but very much well worth it.
  • Thanks mopar67 for the respond!

Anyone use a higher gas rating (89 or even higher), and how is the effect to the car? better gas mileage, improve acceleration, etc?

Thanks again.
  • Just to let you know that I got the XL7, 2002 the base trim with 10000 mileage on it for US$ 14,750 (pay cash) (exclude tax). What do you think?
    I'd avoid the higher octane unless you have spark knock.
    Stick with a major brand of gas. Avoid the exlixirs that promise fantastic results.
    I looked at the XL7 when I got the vitara. The didn't have a 5 speed on the lot plus they weren't willing to move much on price so I settled for a lesser rig.....but a tough rig at that.
    Stop by my website at www.geocities.com/benjamin_380xd/ and check out what trackers and 'kicks can do in the wilds!
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Posts: 338
    Finally am getting the XL-7 in for the 15K service. It will run about 175. Does that sound about right?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,451
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will give you a baseline to compare your estimate to.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

what are they doing?

I am curious.
    It is the normal stuff, replace all the filters (air, fuel, etc) do the oil, diagnostic of the systems, fluids, etc. Actually, according to edmunds it runs about $250 here in the DC area but my dealer gives me a discount.
  • xl7manxl7man Posts: 3
    Bought xl7lim last year.oh..man..this car is for me.. very solid. I still happy about my choice. but ((
    - a couple weeks ago my interior fan went dead. it can blow only in MAX position.. any quick fixes or thoughts for that?
    - one of my remotes has also said "good night", I checked battery.. it's 3.0V.. replaced it.. and it's still not working. while the other works just fine. may be there is a way to reset it somehow or other tricks?
    - when it was around 7,5k miles I went to dealership and asked them to perform all necessary maint. routines. I didn't find "Differential Fluid Change" on my invoice. Mechanic said that it's only necessary for heavy driving conditions (towing etc.) Is this true?? I've been worried about it..
    I would not be overly concerned about the differential fluid change. It should not need it at 7.5. I have mine in for the 15k service as I write this and it is just a fluid check. (Mine is a 2001 limited) The change is at 30k, I think. Happy you like it. I know about the remotes. They are really weak to begin with so to have one go belly up is not a surprise. Have the fan replaced. It is still under the 3/36 warranty.
  • xl7manxl7man Posts: 3
    hope this will be biggest disappointment ever with this car.. too naive?? ))
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I did mine at 35K on my Trooper. :) I should have done em at 20K cause mine is heavy duty use.

-mike
    Id recommend changing the diff fluids at 7500 like the factory recommends. Its easy to do and sure as HECK not worth NOT doing it if the factory recommends to. I mean not like its expensive.. Your only spiting yourself.. The factory would not recommend it it did not need it. Maybe the factory uses a light weight fluid to break in the diff and needs ther heavier fluid at the 7500 mark. I say this because looking at the factory maintenance schedule, it does not say to change it again till 100k limes. This tells me that the factory uses a lighter fluid for break in.

Frank
    I just pulled my service book out and the factory says replace the diff at 7.5, you are right. I looked at my records and it was done when I bought it. It was a demo so they serviced it prior to me picking it up.
  • Hi Everyone,

I have been following this board for some time.The time is now to get a bigger vehicle. I went to the local Suzuki dealer and they had 4 new 2002 Touring Plus 4x4 models with auto. Should I tell them to take the depreciation hit before I purchase. Think they would go for that? Trade in value is under 16,000 for a 2002 with 100 miles. Sticker on the 4 was from 22k-24k. Any negotiating info would be very helpful.

Thanks a bunch,
    Randy
    ctlid@msn.com
    my local Suzuki dealer has a 2002 Touring (new) on the lot and they want around $16k for it. Great price. Its $22,9xx sticker.

Frank
This discussion has been closed.