Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki XL-7

Comments

• lastsuzukilastsuzuki Member Posts: 1
    Hello

I was just surfing around and found this forum
    and was wondering if any other owners are having trouble with the xl7.

I have had mine (2001 4x4 plus automatic)for 2 months with 2730kms so far I have had a Blown Engine, rattle in front windows and a squeaky exhaust, I have done no off-roading and very little highway driving. I have also noticed another xl7 with the engine being removed at the dealer while I checked on mine. a couple of lemons or what?? I am NOT impressed with this rig.

Rumors are that they have a new body style and seating for 6 in 2002 any truth to this? Why change in such a short time? Are sales that bad?

I'm glad I didn't buy, resale will suck if the rumors are true. Thank god I leased, one more problem and I'm tossing the keys on the salesman desk. Its my first Suzuki and my last Suzuki.
    mike m
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    My XL-7 has 5,500 miles and is just fine. Runs like a top and quiet as can be. I do not go off road on a routine basis and except for some events that I go to that are in open fields I do not expect to.
    As to seating for 6 that is an interesting comment. It is supposed to seat 7 now (6 is much closer to reality). As far as I know there are no problems with the engine. I go out of my way to talk with other XL-7 owners when I see one and no one I have talked to has said anything about engine problems. Sorry you are having such trouble.
  • isellpotiacisellpotiac Member Posts: 122
    I have seen one 2001 XL-7 with a bad rear end. Have not seen one with a blown engine. The Standard trim level XL-7 will have 5 passenger seating the others will have the 7 passenger. Heated mirrors will be available. Heated seat will be an option on the limited.
  • scully62scully62 Member Posts: 7
    Hi Anne,I recently purchased the XL-7 Touring at the end of July.I've been very happy with my purchase. I researched many Suv's,I found Consumer Report magazine helpful as well as Edmund's. I went to a couple of Suzuki dealerships and received quotes for my trade in first then I negotiated the price of the XL-7.While you are negotiating it is important not to discuss monthly payments this is one way they play with the numbers and make it seem like your getting a good deal.I paid 17'700 for a 2001 Touring 4x4 5-speed. You should be able to purchase a 2001 for a good price. Don't let the dealer tell you there won't be any 2001's left it's only a way to pressure you. The longer the dealer has the vehicle on the lot the more money they lose. Best of luck, Linda
  • aek1976aek1976 Member Posts: 3
    I just wanted to thank scully62 and 5greyhounds for offering assistance. Please keep it coming. I am wavering big time due to the fact that my car probably isn't worth what I owe. My main concern is safety as I have a 2 year old and the winters get pretty bad in Nebraska (at least it was awful last year). Anyway, thanks again and if anyone else has any helpful suggestions, please feel free to chime in!
    -Anne
  • tistevetisteve Member Posts: 142
    We've now had our XL-7 for almost two weeks. One theme that keeps coming up is that it is a big small suv. It drives, handles and parks like a small suv (although turning radius is a bit larger). But, it has a lot of bigger suv features. The third row seats, rear A/C, truck frame, V6. We came out from a store the other day and an Exploder was parked next to us. The Suzuki was only about an inch or two shorter and almost as long. It really looks big next to a RAv4 or CRV.
    It weighs 3700 lbs which is quite a bit more than most of the mini-utes. The doors have a nice thunk to them when closed, especially those big rear doors.
    Put the hood protector on last night, what a pain. They use a combination of clips and plastic brackets and protective tape where they might touch the paint. Quite a bit more to it than the one on my Tacoma. But it does fit tight and proper once I finally got it all on and after one trip to the auto store to replace a small plastic grommet that I dropped and lost. Looks nice and has a low profile.
    So far we love our Suzuki, it does all that we need it to do very well and comfortably. Saw another one on the road today, that makes two since we bought last week.
    My only concern is how well the mechanical components hold up after a couple of years, we'll see!
    I have 2 Suzuki's on the lot right now and neither are Xl-7. We are out of product right now and don't know when I will see 2002's. I am in New York so I don't know what the deal is where you are. I can buy them from other dealerships but it is a PITA. Please include all information when you are sharing with us how much you paid for your vehicle. Your "17,700" is way off base if someone reads that and expects to walk in to any showroom anywhere and pay $17,700 for a touring 5 speed. I understand that it was $17,700 plus your trade and if it was not like that you bought a used xl-7. I deal with people all the time who will claim that someone on the net paid $17,700 for this exact car and the experience is horrible for them. Just some friendly advice:)
    Heading to the NASCAR race in Richmond on Saturday. It is about 110 miles from my house and will be the first extended trip in the XL-7. One other person is going with me so it will be interesting to see how it drives. Drives to work are about 28 miles and I have averaged about 21+ MPG. It will be interesting to see how this trip does. I will report back on Monday, if I am awake. It will be a long day: leaving at 5am and will get back about 2am.
  • aek1976aek1976 Member Posts: 3
    Well everyone, I am taking out a XL-7 for the weekend. I'm sure I will love it. Now lets just pray that they give me what I need out of my old car if I decide to buy! Have a nice weekend everyone.
    -Anne
  • scully62scully62 Member Posts: 7
    I want to be more specific about what I paid for my XL-7.The sticker price was around 24'000, I went to two suzuki dealerships and negotiated with both. The dealer I made my purchase from went down to 19,900 plus trade and money down I was able to get it for 17'700. Of course people should not expect to get the same deal it's different from state to state. I live in Massachusettes, prices are higher in NewYork so I wouldn't expect you to sell an XL-7 for what I paid.
    Since we are talking prices I live in Sterling, VA, just 5 miles from Dulles Airport. Prior to any down payment I paid $22,800 for a limited. Sticker was $26,000. They took a few hundred extra off of the $500 transportation charge so I ended up at $23k even including transportation.
    Went to Richmond for the NASCAR race last night. At 75 MPH I did just a little over 21. I drove slower on the way home since it was dark and did around 65. I did just over 23. That was my best yet but both are all highway.
  • nikepetenikepete Member Posts: 2
    Bought a 2WD XL-7 5-spd with the Plus package for 18.6K. Is it a good price ?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Anyone in the NY/NJ/PA area interested in some very light off-roading check out http://isuzu-suvs.com/events we are running a trail ride in the pine barrens next weekend.

-mike

I should also mention that the truck rode very nicely. I have a Windstar that rides nicely and while the truck was just a little more harsh it was for all intents a good overall ride. Also no rattles. What I found interesting was with the sunroof open all the way there was not much noise and we were able to hold a conversation without raising our voices.
    I was also finally able to get the bra put on. It seems the company is having some trouble with the supplier. I found one at another dealer and had it sent to mine. It is a very nice fit. I have the full bra. I made the mistake with the
    Windstar and only went with the hood cover. The front bumper is messed up and if I had the full cover it would not be as it is. It also looks good. I had it on for the trip and with driving at night I collected lots of bugs on the front end. It did good!!!!
    Be careful when using bra's in general. If you don't keep your car clean, or don't remove the bra and clean under it on a weekly basis, dirt/sand will build up under it, and act like sand paper against your paint job.

-mike
    I agree with Paisan, be careful. I had a bra on my Samurai for about two years. It stayed fairly clean underneath, but the paint faded less under the bra and when I removed it, there was a noticeable paint color difference across the hood.
    After having one, I swore I would never put another one on a vehicle, I just use a hood protector.
    I understand. I have had bras since I have had cars and take the precautions mentioned. Also, this is a toy, more than a daily car. It stays in the garage on weekdays and if it sees the rain it will only be by accident. I also have some mail into the "clearmask" people about their product. I may put it on under the bra as a second layer of protection. With the clearmask I should not have a problem with water or dirt since neither will be able to get under it. Why two items: I just like the look of this bra on the truck. Some look bad but this is a nice fit and actually looks good. I do thank both of you for your notes of concern.
    Just hate to see people who think they can put it on and forget it, be dissappointed. On a side note, I have just become the US distributer of ECB bullbar/nudge bar products and figured you guys might be interested in their products. You can check out their products at http://www.ecb.com.au e-mail me directly for more info. [email protected]

-mike

The National Institute for Highway Safety (the testing arm for insurance companies) tested 8 midsize SUVs and found 4 of them to be good (highest rating) in the 40MPH offset crash test. There was the MDX, Highlander, Motero Sport and (drum roll please) our baby the XL-7. This beat the likes of the new trailblazer and Bravada among others. Makes me feel good to know that you can purchase a reasonably priced SUV and still get one that is well made. Good work Suzuki.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    ...for the Grand Vitara XL-7 have been released. The XL-7 received a "good":

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0116.htm

Note that only vehicles within 500 lbs of each others' curb weights should be compared.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    You may be right about not comparing trucks that are more than 500 pounds apart but I do not think the tests take that into consideration. Either the passenger compartment is safe or it is not, your head hits the B-pillar or it does not, you have a broken leg or you do not or the air bag works right or it does not.
    Yes, you're right the test does not take this into account. I think what they're saying is that a "good" rated Honda Civic will not fair as well as a "good" XL-7 if both are involved against each other in an offset crash, despite both having the same rating; the reason being that the XL-7 is a lot heavier. :-) This is why the IIHS groups the vehicles into different classes, and doesn't for example, lump all the SUVs (both small and midsized) into one class.

From the IIHS:
    "In the Institute's 40 mph offset test, 40 percent of the total width of each vehicle strikes a barrier on the driver side. The barrier's deformable face is made of aluminum honeycomb, which makes the forces in the test similar to those involved in a frontal offset crash between two vehicles of the same weight, each going just less than 40 mph. Test results can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight. Like full-width crash test results, the results of offset tests cannot be used to compare vehicle performance across weight classes."

I hope this helps,

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accesories message boards
    I was looking at all the other SUV topics and I was thinking that considering the number of owners of the XL-7 we are a fairly active group. I have not seen that many on the road and the ones I have seen the drivers wave back when I wave to them.
    Has anyone heard that for 2003 the XL-7 is going to a uni-body and all wheel drive like the Escape and the other fake SUVs? If so, anyone who wants a real SUV in this size better get one now.
  • clay11clay11 Member Posts: 17
    Have just returned from a road trip with the XL-7 from Vancouver, BC to Yellowstone National Park and back. Vehicle now has around 12,500 miles on it and ran the trip beautifully. Had a full contingent (4 adults, 2 dogs and our 14 month-old daughter) towing a 10 ft. tent trailer of approx. 1,800 pounds. Pulled the load comfortably across mountain passes in the BC rockies. Downside was mileage of as low as 15 mpg in the climbs, although average was around 18 mpg - still not bad for towing and a full load. Still, thanks heavens for US gas prices. Noticed some window rattling that the dealer can look at (driver and driver-side rear) and am seeing the same tire wear as others have noticed. Outside edges appear to be wearing faster than expected. With all seats occupied, luggage capacity remains near zero and I found the rear cargo net (installs across the back inside the rear gate) invaluable to make the most of the limited space and prevent things rolling out every time the tail gate was opened. High temperatures all the way and no rise in engine heat during the trip. Still happy with the investment. Model is a Limited - and I noticed the Canadian models do not have the shiny little 4x4 badges the US models do. Saw a couple of plus and standard models on the trip while south of the border.
    Clay11—happy you had a good trip. Mine is also a limited but with only 5,900 miles and still is tight as a drum. I will keep an eye on the windows. No towing in my future so I do not have to worry about that part. Keep us up to date.
    Thanks for the report. Ah, another fellow Vancouverite! :-) Recently, I've been seeing more and more XL-7's on the street. Even more so than the regular Grand Vitaras.

If you have any questions about tires, check out the Tires, tires, tires discussion topic in the Aftemarket & Accessories message board. From my expeirence, raising the tires pressure a couple of psi may help to decrease the cupping.

Drew
    Host
    I can understand why the number of XL-7s is increasing and the number of GVs is going down. The price is about the same, maybe 1K less for the GV but the XL-7 has so much more for the money that unless you really want a small SUV the XL-7 is the way to go.
    As to PSI in the the tires you are 100% correct. Not only will they last longer but turning is easier.
    Has anyone seen a 2002? I read that the 2002 has a flat floor and a cover over the space between the sets when the 2nd and 3rd rows are put down. I want to see if how they did it can be retro-fitted to my 2001. Right now I have a piece of plywood that covers the entire floor so the dogs can use it and not break a leg. However, it is very cumbersome to put in the truck.
    My wife and I will be taking it to the Greyhounds Reach the Beach at Dewey Beach over Columbus Day weekend. I will have two of the dogs and a carrier on the roof. Just hope for good weather. I will report on how it does.
  • xl7xl7 Member Posts: 20
    5Greyhounds!

Thanks for sharing! I must say that you have been so resourceful;a big inspiration to my knowledge reguarding the XL-7. Latest: I just received my vent visors from McNeil...Thanks!
    Reguarding space between seats,uneven surface,
    more hp. Woodbridge Suzuki,Woodbridge,Va. should have available a 2002 model very soon. Last week
    during my oil change I reviewed the 2002 specs, only the added hp was mentioned. The salesman was unaware of the changes in the space between seats. However, he did mention that there would be two models of the 2002. One being the (seat 7} model,and one being without the (3rd row)of seats... offering more cargo space.

I have the touring model...now at 12500! No problems. Just make sure when you have an oil change the oil is cleaned from the undercarriage.
    During my 4 changes, each time I've had oil stains in my garage. I physically checked, the filter on my recent change and found it in a difficult location. When its removed,it usually drains to the cross frame.

Happy motoring!
    I know what you mean about the oil filter. It is a real pain. I have used Mobil 1 for years and put it in mine the first weekend I had it. What a mess but then I change the oil and filter at every 5k instead of every 3k since it is synthetic. This way it is not as often and makes for less mess.
    I had to get a replacement for the drivers window vent as mine split in half when I went to install it. It was replaced at no cost.
    Do you have the cross bars for the roof rack? My dealer wants something like $160 for a pair and I think I will see what MacNiel wants for theirs, if it will fit.
    On the back seat space: I wish I could remember the name of the magazine I looked at that had the update on the 2002. It also said heated mirrors on the limited.
    Here is a post I copied form Yahoo groups XL-7 forum (I hope I'm not violating any copy laws)
    "Hi Guys,
    Just got back from the dealer, I noticed the new 2002s were in
    and wanted to compare them...not much difference, new seat fabric
    design, kind of plain grey and heated mirrors. no hard shell cover,
    its now an option as are the mats,The interior, controls, dash, door
    trim are all the same.
    My dealer did say that the base model will have seating for 5 no
    third seat and its gonna kill the GV sales big time.He also said that
    the xl7 line was setting record sales in Canada and the US. My dealer
    still has the 0.01% interest no money down lease rate. I'm not sure on
    the total prices. Still a great deal!!
    So not much change in the Plus and Touring only the Base model.
    as for my engine so far so good, to date I have had 4 calls from
    Suzuki Canada asking about my satisfaction, Not bad......"

Apparently he has seen the 2002 in person, I believe he is Canadian.
    Ours is about due for it's first oil change and I was thinking about doing it myself, but you guys confirmed my concerns that the filter is in a place that will create a big mess when changed, I think I'll let the dealer do it.
    I have cross bars for the roof racks, but got the dealer to throw them in as part of the deal, don't know how much they cost, but would guess it's bucks. FYI, the Mont Blanc racks are a "universal" clamp type that can clamp onto almost any roof rack. They do have a custom "Suzuki" label on them that is cool. But, my point is that I'm sure Thule or Yakima sell a similiar type of clamping, fits many type, kind of cross bars. Maybe they would be cheaper? Also, it looks like any Thule components that fit the square tube racks would fit on the Mont Blanc racks, so I'm going to check that out.
    I have searched high and low for a USA Mont Blanc distributor, but no luck. I even wrote to Mont Blanc and they gave me the name of a distributor here in the US, but they only seem to carry the ski racks.
    Has anyone ever seen them here?
    Who is MacNeil? Do they have a website? I am interested in the window visors but haven't seen them for the XL-7 yet. How much was the set? Is there any added wind noise? Would you recommend them? I have them on my Taco and like them.
  • clay11clay11 Member Posts: 17
    The bars are available from the dealer here in Vancouver for $175 CDN. Based on the exchange rate, those of you living closer to the Canadian border should consider heading north. Sounds like a better deal up here...which makes a welcome change from our perspective, let me tell you! :-)
    the web site is:www.weathertech.com this is a major after market company and is good to do business with. enjoy.
    Could this flap system be retro fitted to a 2001?
    You can go to Macneil Automotive's website here:

http://www.macneil.com

Drew
    Host
    for starters it is POTIAC, just kidding. The flat floor cannot be retrofitted to the 2001. I am standing right next to one and the flap is part of the seat backing. Short of ripping the seat back off i don't think it can be done. Even if it could I think to order the part it would be very expensive.
  • smarks195smarks195 Member Posts: 2
    I want to know from someone how the front seats of the 2001 xl7 adjust.
    It is a manuaul seat adjusrment with forward and backward and the seatback does recline.
  • xl7xl7 Member Posts: 20
    http://www.a1-autoracks.com/roof.htmlHOT ITEM !

THULE LOCKING RAILING CROSS BARS!

For vehicles with roof racks with raised side rails. These crossbars and locking railing feet are great when you need a heavy duty crossrail to carry up to 165 lb loads. Adjusts to fit a wide GREAT DEAL ! Fits most vehicles with factory roof rack side tracks. This lockable load bar system is great when you need a heavy duty crossrail to carry up to 165 lb loads like ladders or canoes.

range of vehicle racks with raised side rails. Easily carries any of our roof mount bike, ski or Thule roof top cargo boxes.

Great for newer vehicles with no crossbars! View Selections

Complete Railing Systems Starting at Only $137.95

Roof Racks

Bike Racks

Ski Racks

Cargo Carriers

Truck Bed Rails

Hitch Mount Racks

Hitch Accessories

Spoilers

Trunk Deck Racks

Bug Shields

Truck Tie Downs

Tailgate Covers

Car Dog Fence

Clearance Deals

GREAT DEAL ! Our most popular roof rack.

Add style and utility to any car, minivan or SUV with this factory look alike luggage rack. Sizes available for all vehicles.Custom sizes available for no additional charge. Easily carries any of our roof mounted bike or ski carriers. Dual adjustable crossbars. Only $98.95

PROLINE PRODUCTS INC.

A1-AUTORACKS.COM

69 SOUTH TPK. RD.

WALLINGFORD, CT 06492

Phone: 203-265-7535

Fax: 203-265-7715

E-mail: [email protected]

Although the Thule racks may be rated for 165 lbs, the factory roof rails are only rated for 100 lbs! Needless to say, the roof rails are what hold the cross bars, so 100 lbs would be the maximum.
    By the way, that was the same website I found that had some Mont Blanc racks, but they were all ski related.
    Going to Dewey Beach Columbus Day weekend and that is about 160 miles from my house and will be the longest trip yet in the truck. Will have two Greyhounds and they usually lay down after a little while and sleep. Will let everyone know how she did.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Suzuki Offers Best Finance Program in the Automotive Industry

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Our Plus doesn't have the factory fog lights. Has anyone purchased
    them from the dealer? How much were they? Easy to install?
    Does anyone know of a suitable aftermarket model that would fit well
    and be the right type?
    Any info would be appreciated.
  • gadkins1gadkins1 Member Posts: 29
    I am taking my wife to test drive an XL7 tomorrow. I have been trying to catch up since I don't know much about Suzuki's reputation. The 0% financing has just about clinched it for me. Any tips from any of you happy (or unhappy) XL7 owners (or leasers) before we go to take the plunge?
  • gadkins1gadkins1 Member Posts: 29
    P.S. Does anyone have the color-keyed front grille guard that I see in the dealer brochure? How much was it and does it look as good as it does in the brochure?
    Check out http://www.ecb-usa.com for australia grille guards. I find them to be much higher quality and more protective than decorative than domestic ones. Not sure if http://arbusa.com makes em, but they are good too.

-mike

For what it is worth go with the original equipment. They may cost a little more than after market but they will fit like a glove. The holes for mounting are already there so that will not be a problem. However, you still need the switch gear and that really needs to be original.
    We could not be happier with our XL-7. It just turned 6.5k and is solid and quiet.
    A few comments however:
    1. If you are going to carry dogs or need a flat floor with no space between the second and third rows you will have to get a 2002. I cut a piece of plywood to cover the space between the seats since this is for the Greyhounds to use as a fun vehicle. However, if it is not a problem then a 2001 will do.
    2. There is an additional 8 or 10 HP for 2002. The 2001 175 horses are really enough. Good pickup and we have the automatic.
    3. Heated mirros for the limited are new for 2002.
    Other than that no real difference. The best value for the money, IMO, is the touring. You get the moon roof, the rear air and fog lights as part of the package. If you want leather and running boards then the limited is the way to go. We have the limited and love it.
    It also received the highest possible rating in the 40 MPH offset crash test but you to watch out for the spare tire when backing up.
This discussion has been closed.