Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit Extended Warranty

2»

Comments

• wisemoneywisemoney Posts: 42
    Honda Care Extended Warranties are the worst products ever created. You will only lose money long term by buying such a financially stupid product. Long-term reliability is the number one factor and decision maker in buying a new car. Therefore when you choose a reliable car like most Hondas are, you're saying that your Honda is going to break down, and repairs will cost more than the overpriced cost of the extended warranty, within the short time frame, and within the short mileage limits, and most importantly within the extremely limited parts that are covered. If a Japanese Honda mechanic read the entire Honda care vehicle service contract, he or she would say that the covered parts are LEAST likely to breakdown, and the parts that are NOT covered are MOST likely to break down. It is so so so sad, that consumers can be so stupid to throw away their money and buy an extended warranty on a Honda Fit for example. A Honda Fit is by far the most reliable car in Japan, and quite possibly the most reliable car ever made. Why would anyone bet on a breakdown in just after 3 years of proper care. I've never heard of that in any well maintained Honda.

Extended Warranties are NOT insurance policies. Insurance is meant to protect against catastrophic events. Of course I have collision coverage at a very low cost because it protects against catastrophic accidents costing over $15,000 or more. Same with homeowner's insurance. It protects against total loss of a home which typically costs more than $200,000. I would suffer a devastating financial set back without insurance. Same goes for health insurance. Health insurance protects against catastrophic operations and costly disease management. We're talking millions of dollars of potential financial destruction. On the other hand, the worst that could happen with a car is the engine totally breaks down as far as warranty coverage goes. That's not more than $5,000 on most cars. The bottom line is if your repair costs more than the value of the car after the factory warranty expires, trash the vehicle and buy a new one because it's not worth keeping a problematic vehicle past its factory warranty. Put that $2000 you would have spent on an extended warranty in a high-yield savings account, and compound interest until the factory warranty expires. Now you have TRUE PEACE OF MIND because you know your money will cover ANY part at ANY time at ANY mileage.
  • I just got an 09 FIT SPORT and was thinking of picking up an online warranty but now after reading your post, I think you have made some very persuasive points...It is evident that you have looked at the warranty very closely.

Just as a bit of commentary, years ago I got hit with the warranty sales pitch at a Mazda dealership and purchased the warranty.

Since then though, I have purchased two Hondas (the 07 fit was totaled) and both times I told the finance person that I had determined that I was not purchasing a warranty and that I did not need gap insurance due to cash purchase and therefore this simple transaction should take no more than ten minutes...They looked shocked and most recently the fellow said that Honda recommends one hour in the office :confuse:

But anyway, I have found that being politely assertive has prevented the finance people from starting up their pitch. They still in a quick roundabout way make a fast comment since it is their job but I have been pleased to be back in the drivers seat so to speak because I will never forget that hot room in the Mazda dealership where I felt so unprepared, so confused etc...It was a terrible feeling, I did not really know what hit me but that's what gives us great experience!

Thanks! :)
  • THe extended warranty has a clause at the end that say you can cancel within 60 days as long as there was no service performed on that extended warranty which you did'nt. So I'd argue as to why the extended warranty was'nt offered to transfer for $50 and then cancel the one you bought for a full refund.
  • fitoh8fitoh8 Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    I just got off the phone with a local Honda Dealership here in Dallas, TX. I had brought in my 2008 Honda Fit Sport, because my air conditioner stopped working. The car is still under warranty with 27,000mi.

The dealership says that a rock hit the condenser and that's why it needs to be replaced, so it will not be covered by warranty. In the words of the tech: "First time I've ever seen it on a Fit. Just doesn't happen, you must have bad luck." Yeah, right.

So this is my first new car, and I'm wondering what the next step is for disputing this. Clearly the claim that a rock magically destroyed my A/C is complete nonsense - but what can I do? I'm interested in hearing from those who have been through this.
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    Check the forums at fitfreak.net. There are a LOT of folks there who report the same problem. They've devised a fix that prevents the problem, and they may also have some advice on dealing with your dealer.
  • fitoh8fitoh8 Posts: 2
    Thanks I will try that. I spoke with Honda and they have advised me to have the dealership put in writing exactly why they think it was hit by something, and then take it to another dealership. I will report back.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    If a rock did hit the condenser and Honda won't cover it, you could take the claim to your auto insurance company... depending on your comprehensive deductible and whether it would be considered a "charged" accident, it might pay most if not all of the cost.
  • wbfrankwbfrank Posts: 3
    I thought I was stupid to buy the extended warranty for my '07 Fit... but I have used it twice. Why? Well how about the Honda Fit Stutter see: http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/52520-engine-sees-miss-fi- re-when-fan-comes-new-post.html

So far at 71K I have had three of the four 'coil packs' on top of the plugs. So far the extended warranty has almost been paid back!

My question is this: what is the vehicle now worth? Honda Corporate does not admit to this prevalent problem. But what if a Fit is traded in with this problem and the dealer takes it out for a spin and offers considerable less for the trade in??

Each coil-pack costs out at $85.95 (X4) plus $130.00 plus in labour. ( :lemon: ) Is this a lemon deal?? :confuse: :mad:
  • soozndsooznd Posts: 4
    I guess I shouldn't complain --my extended warranty cost only $1500. The finance manager talked so fast and rushed me through the process--she made me assume that windshield protection was covered under the warranty. When I found out it wasn't I balked--when I learned I needed to pay another $500 to get the Polystar windshield protection, but negotiated getting my windows tinted at no charge for the misunderstanding.
    I figure if anything goes wrong with any of the computerized parts on the vehicle, the extended warranty will have been worth the money.
2»