Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'94-'96 Impala SS

Comments

• From what I read the SS brakes in 120 feet and for the LS it's 128 feet. I might be wrong.
  • powerisfunpowerisfun Posts: 358
    You're right about the Impala SS braking distance.
    It's one of the biggest wonders of the car. 120 ft is actually less than a Mustang and not too far behind a Corvette.
  • giowagiowa Posts: 599
    Forgot one more original source. Popular Mechanics' CarSmart Magazine, dated 5/96, tested an Impala SS stopping from 60 mph to 0 in 118 ft (cold) and 121 ft (hot/after repeated use). In this comparison test their Mercedes S500 stopped from same distances in 118 and 120 ft, respectively. Caprice Classic did it in 130 and 139 ft, Buick Roadmaster in 137 & 134 ft, and Cadillac Fleetwood in 133 & 155 ft.

As they put, "Hands down, the Impala SS is the best value her...simply delivers the most car for the money...it outhandled and outaccelerated the Mercedes, and equaled the big Benz's remarkable braking performance. It also eats up highway miles just as effortlessly...the driving experience here is as good as it gets for anything less than the $91,495 demanded for the Benz." Now that is one heck of a compliment!
  • powerisfunpowerisfun Posts: 358
    Thanks for that post, giowa. It's always nice to hear when someone compares your car to a $91K Benz.
    It's also just an awesome looking car. I've had people at work who didn't know anything about the Impala SS come up to me and make remarks like "Hey, nice car, did you get a huge raise or something?" not realizing that they're less expensive than a new Grand Am (it's just finding them that's the hard part). Even brand new, it was only $26K. It was and still is one of the best deals in automotive history, IMHO.
    -Tim
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    Admittedly, 94-96 SS's are unique cars.

But here are my thoughts remembered from a short time 'poking around' on the showroom floor and a quick test drive. It probably was 1995, not really sure about that.

The interior is cheap, cheap, cheep. Bad-lookin plastic covers the doors. No vinyl or cloth on there. The carpet seemed only slightly better than indoor/outdoor variety.

Exterior styling - Chevy did improve it, but it still is the basic upside down bathtub look of those years' Caprice. Somewhat reminds me of the 1957 Rambler American look.

Speed - it did move out pretty good. But there was a lot of noise and a feeling of having to move a whole lot of iron.

I was in a 1991 Taurus SHO at the time. It's interior was beautiful compariatively, and it looked much better outside.

And the jerk salesman gave me that 'what would it take to get you into it this afternoon' line. And when I said 'A large discount.', he lanched into a talk about how they were getting list or over list for them. And they had 4 on the lot and showroom floor.....

The styling and inferior interior was my biggest hangup.
  • This upside down bathtub was one of the worst designs ever. Miichael
  • LOL..please. Comparing the interior to a 1991 SHO? I agree its (SS) isn't a MBZ, but compared to the Taurus, its 'sporty'. Even out here in CA, many dealers were getting $5K OVER sticker for the cars. Many got it, the smart shopper paid sticker (or less.) I paid 2K under sticker for my '96. Imagine my surprise to see that the car currently is still worth $23K . Not bad for an upside down bathtub, eh Miichael? Show me another car thats only 'lost' 10% of its initial cost.

Dave
  • One more thing..my interior, after 5 years, looks brand new. The only 'worn' area is the black plastic door panel/bezel where the door lock switch is. I plan on installing some carbon fiber kit components to take care of that. Otherwise, the car, including the carpet, is perfect. The car is a daily driver with 51K miles on the odo. And it doesn't get 'babied'. I race the car at the track to boot.

Dave
  • It only seems like you lost 10%. Actually, this bloated boulevard cruiser was at least 20% overpriced when new.Michael
    Some of the recent posts don't seem overly friendly. If you didn't buy one, don't worry about what others paid. You might want to consider trying to find a decent used one and see how much it would cost. My '96 DCM still turns heads, has kept its resale value great, and is the most awesome family vacation hauler ever created.

Due to its primitive rear suspension, she wasn't designed to, nor can she, handle like a BWM 540i or Lincoln LS8 on curvy or bumpy roads, but she costs about $15,000 cheaper. Are the interior materials up to the $40K price range? Absolutely not. And since they were '94-'96 issue GM they really weren't that hot to begin with. Over almost 5 years and only 17,000 miles, my interior has held up well.

My only big grip involves the seats. Seats lack good headrests and aren't really sport seats.

But to appreciate how good she really was (and still is) for the money, check out other chat sites. I love to get on the Lincoln LS chat group. I've own both my '96 Impala SS and my '00 Lincoln LS8 Sport (3.9L DOHC 32 valve V-8 taking 91 octane premium). LS8 had a window sticker of $34,400. The LS chat group also routinely bemoans the poor subjective quality of the interior materials, usually comparing to BMW or Jaguar (and coming up short as they are too Sableish).

My Impala is bigger, heavier, and roomier. It is quicker, has similar top speed, and gets better fuel economy. Go figure. Drives those guys nuts. But even the LS engineers will quietly admit they envy what Chevy did with the lowly Caprice. Some posters are waiting for the upcoming Mercury Marauder. I am, too! Could be the next Impala SS. :)
  • jpstaxjpstax Posts: 250
    Someone in the Impala XI topic, of the Sedans conference, posted this link:

http://www.9c1.com/pictures/ls1_impala/index.htm

I think it looks sharp and aggressive. If it were offered for sale, I think it would be in BIG demand by collectors, just like the '94-'96 cars are today. Just my 2 cents.
  • Michael, it seems like you generally like GM vehicles based on your stable of cars. You still haven't mentioned any other mark that only 'loses' 10% of its value after 5 years of ownership. Your '98 Jag can't brag those stats even after 2 years of owning it. I'll be the 1st to admit that generally speaking, GM quality is an oxymoron ..but they hit a homerun with this car. As others have said, I still get plenty of looks from people asking if its a Lexus or a Jag

Dave
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    According to the latest info the LS1 fwd impala SS has been killed.
    What is the source of the info?

Part of me is glad they don't go forward with a FWD chassis. RWD platform is inherently superior. No matter how hard Cadillac tries with its DeVille, 300 hp is just to much to expect a FWDer to handle. Good but not great.

Now if Ford goes ahead with Blackhawk and Marauder, maybe GM will have to respond? Either could work off European Cadillac Catera chassis or go with Australian chassis.
    I received a letter from Chevy, C00096, dated January, 2001. NOT a recall but a letter saying:

"that some...1996 Chevrolet Impala and Caprice models, equipped with a 5.7L V-8 engine, may experience a condition where the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve may fail due to corrosion of the internal diaphragm plate. This will cause the emission system to not function properly ... Do not take your vehicle to your Chevrolet dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above ... If this condition occurs on your...1996 Impala or Caprice model vehicle within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge."
  • mcsapmcsap Posts: 15
    I was fortunate enough to drive one of these great cars as a company car. It did have a set of red and blue lights on the roof as well. i started driving the car brand new in 1995 and drove it until the spring of 1999 when , at 143,000 miles, it was time. The trans was slipping although it still ran good. Couldn't talk the chief into another trans. and now its serving duty as a taxi somewhere. Was involved in a 33 mile pursuit that lasted 19 minutes. Late at night on an interstate highway. What a runner! Nowadays, I motor around in a 4.6 crown Vic , what a let down. We do have a new Impala with the 3.8, not a bad running car.
    You should check out the Mercury Marauder site here. That is probably your best hope for a worthy replacement. Will be interesting to see if Ford actually ponies up the dough to make either or both a reality. Check out 2/01 issue of Motor Trend for some of the latest & most detailed purported info.

Can't believe you actually say nice things about the 3.8L FWD Impala. Seems like a most unimpressive cop car. Doesn't the police package in the new Impala include Krispy Kreme donuts? Just kidding. :)
  • tdugovictdugovic Posts: 34
    First off I can't believe that Michael who says he "loves" impalas can make statements so negative about the 94-96 imps.

I own a Jag and also own a 95 caprice with the LT1. I wish it was the impala SS.

These are great cars and have very good throttle response and with a new air intake system and less restrictive mufflers, they have nearly 300hp. What a blast of a car.

here is a good website for info

www.gmforums.com

they cover all gms and not just the imps.
    (Tim)ratchetmaster
  • bort1bort1 Posts: 13
    Most officers that I know are getting adjusted to the FWD Impala and seem to like it, but that may not say much considering that Crown Vics handle like river barges even with police suspension upgrades. Officers patroling alone seemed to be much more satisfied with the Impala, throw two up front and interior space becomes a serious problem.
    1. But does the FWD Impala catch criminals as efficiently and is it as safe in a crash?

2. Car & Driver periodically does tests on cop cars. Within past 5 years think I've seen them write up large reports on Crown Vic two or three times, once on Impala, and once on Tahoe. Think they initially panned Crown Vic but Ford has taken some steps to improve. Also had some panning for FWD Impala. Forgot about Tahoe, other than it was so expensive for a force to buy.
This discussion has been closed.