Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• bboyherobboyhero Posts: 3
    give me some info on lowering the echo
  • enbieenbie Posts: 2
    The springs are high quality european made and cost around $245.00 Where do you live?
    I live in FL. Which company made the springs and was it made for the Vitz?
  • mastermexmastermex Posts: 1
    is there a supercharger out there for the echo? who makes it? and how much would it cost with labor?
    it wasn't meant to be fast in the first place, and I doubt that there's enough market in Echo owners for it to even sell. If you really wanted to a supercharger or turbo charged, you'd have to have a custom job done. And you'd be looking to spend over $4K at least.
  • liljonsonliljonson Posts: 109
    echo and supercharger LOL. i think you might need something bigger than the bicycle tires they give you.
  • scotianscotian Posts: 1,064
    How about an aftermarket body to make it look like a car. :-)
  • fangio2fangio2 Posts: 214
    the Echo might be upgrading the powerplant.To supercharge an engine the bottom end should be beefed up-this can be quite expensive.On the other hand dropping in a higher performing engine could be less expensive.
    I heard that J.C.Whitney offered a bell housing that would adapt a dohc Briggs&Stratton motor to the Echo transmission.Besides the increased performance another benifit would be servicing the motor at any Snapper lawn mower dealership.
    Glad if I can be of service.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,871
    Actually I think you meant to post your message in the Your Lawn Mower vs your SUV - Which spends more time off-road? discussion :-).

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

suprcharged ECHO MADE ME LOOSE IT FOR A MINUTE
    What, you think "suprcharged ECHO" is an oxymoron? I'm sure the Echo is nice and peppy, but I bet it doesn't hold a candle to my old '82 Tercel 5 speed that I tooled around in for 17 years.

Steve
    Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

to peer pressure.Then again,maybe in Idaho an 82 Tercel was chic.That is not meant as a dig,being of Irish extraction I respect any state that has dedicated itself to the potato like Idaho has.Do you think an Idaho potato was the styling inspiration for the Echo?
    If so,do you think maybe a MR.POTATO Echo car would be a good way to see how the accessories would look?It could be a moneymaker.
    lol, well, what does that say about you and the Daewoo in your profile, fangio2? Or do you just like to hold onto your money like me?

Actually the Tercel is reportedly still cruising Anchorage, where I lived when I drove it. When we relocated to Boise, we got housing close to town so I don't even own a car anymore. I do get to drive the family Quest once or trice a week :-).

Where were we--oh yeah, anyone driving a Russett brown Echo that's tricked out?

Steve
    Host

but,i love it-unsupercharged as it may be.The Leganza could be compared to a FULLY acessorized ECHO-complete with after market body.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    The Tercel is chic in Idaho, LOL!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    Does anyone have any experience in aftermarket sunroofs? If I got the ECHO, I'd be interested in it along with cruise control, as I find the Corolla having a boring interior...not as much fun "to look at" either.
  • Try www.husco.com. They make a custom armrest for the echo. I put one on and it work nice. The thing slides to different positions and has a holder for a coffee cup incl. with the order.
    Don
    Nashville TN
  • qabrbqabrb Posts: 2
    Has anyone put a second radio in the ECHO.

I have the portion of the dash off that surrounds the heater/AC controls as well as the digital clock. The digital clock portion comes out separately and leaves a nice spot for another installation. I hope to put in a 2 meter Ham radio rig. Has anyone installed any kind of radio or other electronic device in this area. I would be interested in hearing how you mounted the bracket.

Brian
  • echorickechorick Posts: 27
    Brian,
    If you take out your clock, I might be interested in buying it from you.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    I have come around to being a big believer in synthetic oil. I swapped out the factory oil for Mobil 1 as soon as I got the car - $26 at Walmart. I did this for two reasons: oils have not been progessing as fast as motor technology. The oil companies resisted synthetic blends and upgraded base stocks (in terms of "base standards") for years, so that Ford, VW, Mercedes, and the entire Japanese auto industry had to overlay the "basic" SJ/Ilsac GF2 standards with an alphabet soup of additional requirements (that is why some oils say "meets Japanese valve train wear standards" and other stuff - if your oil doesn't say this, it probably doesn't). Recently the auto makers prevailed and got the oil institute to recognize a vastly improved grade of oil, SL or Ilsac GF3. This stuff still isn't as good as a true synthetic, which will stand up to high temperature and pressures when you drive a small engine like this hard and fast.

Second, run a web search on "Toyota sludge" and track down the story on oil sludge buildup in the Toyota engines. This is either due to owners not changing oil enough (Toyota's view) or due to some high temperature areas in those particular engines that gradually "cooked" the oil down to sludge (and your oil filter won't take the sludge out, it is thickened, burnt out oil, not particulate matter). Toyota's solution, at the dealer level, is to recommend not more than 5,000 mile oil changes regardless of your driving habits, and the auto repair press recommends synthetic, which won't "cook" since it has a higher temperature spec.

I am not sure whether I am going to change the synthetic at 5,000 or 3,000 miles. Additive packages probably wear out just as fast in a synthetic as in a dino oil, so I will probably change at 3,000. This is only made possible by WalMart's economy - $26 vs. $50 at an oil shop vs. ? at a dealer.
  • cpo4cpo4 Posts: 2
    could anyone tell me if the echo cd player skips when it hits a bump . and what accessories are worth getting . and your likes and dislikes about your echo . i test drove one yesterday and was impressed
  • bob365bob365 Posts: 3
    I noticed that in the scheduled maintenance guide that the Camry and Avalon should replace their air conditioning filter every 15,000 miles.

What about the Echo? No need, as it doesn't have one...

But wait! Not so fast!

It has the same type of tray for a filter as the others. It sits right behind the glove compartment and above the blower motor (see photo in the 'interior' section of http://www.echofans.net ).

There is no filter in the tray, but that can be fixed easily. I simply took a pleated furnace filter and cut it down to size. I used one that had wire reinforcement which keeps the pleating from moving and slid it right in there. That gave a filter similar to the one in the Avalon (my father has an Avalon, and I looked at the filter).

As long as the filter tray is already there, why not put something in it? Otherwise, it's just sucking in outside air that is full of all kinds of crud (my father's Avalon filter was dirty as heck!).

My Echo is nice and new and clean, and hopefully this little trick will help keep it that way. :)

• kaz6kaz6 Posts: 331
    Great tip! I'm gonna try it!
  • Bought my Echo on October of last year. It's a 2002 4-door. I love the car! However, I am trying to find a bodykit and white out headlights and tailights for it. Talked to Toyota yesterday and they said they don't have anything for the Echo. How Frustrating!! I found a website that has body kits for them but they e-mailed me back and said they only fit hatchback models. Don't have one of those. Anyone seen anything else promising or have any ideas for a kit that could be cut to size? Same on lights...where are they???
    Speaking of supercharging...if I was willing to spen the 4K to get turbo would it even fit without having to modify the hood? If not how effective a chips??
    Thanks ahead of time for any ideas you all might have.
    AutoFXGirl2
  • janbeejanbee Posts: 127
    there was someone in the toyota echo message board that had a body kit sent over from japan (i believe) and he even posted some pics of it on his echo, it was prob a couple months ago so you will have to scroll back quite a bit.
  • has anyone installed the Eibach Pro-Kit Spring Set on the ECHO?
    if so how is it? how much harder does it make the ride?

thanks
    tc3house
  • IleIle Posts: 14
    If you go to toyotaguys.com you will be able to get a lot of different aftermarket stuff for your echo. TRD suspension kit! cruise control, better brakes etc. great site.
  • I would like to change the suspension in my 2002 Echo and don't want to pay through the nose w/dealer shop prices... I am unfamiliar with the " terms " and brand names that would allow for a tighter/harder ride.... any suggestions?
  • gregzgregz Posts: 2
    i have a 2001 2 door echo. i would like to install an aftermarket tachometer. can any one help?
  • rjriley13rjriley13 Posts: 1
    Hey all. Had a lil accident with my 2000 2 dr echo. Looking for front clip with lights and rear wrap-around bumper skirt. Looked all over for body kits... FOUND NONE. Found some for a 4 door just not a 2. Thanks Randy