Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1965 Mustang Value

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,009
    I agree, too. The Falcon, at least in its 6 cylinder, "three on the tree" configuration, could easily be serviced by a mechanic living in 1925. Nothing on that car would be alien to him, except perhaps the radio.

The Corvair was the *potentially* most interesting and technically advanced car, but it was, and remained, seriously under-developed due to the usual GM habit of poking its own eyes out and complaining that it had been blinded by the government or foreigners.

The Valiant was the first serious attempt to make a modern car in America for the world as it was then emerging--by that I mean the engineers got at least equal time with the stylists.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• gardener3gardener3 Posts: 4
    I have a Mustang 65 I bought new, a long time ago. I had a refurbished engine put in and is in nice shape with several beige coats of paint. Often people ask if I want to sell it, but it isn't for sale.

Don't feel bad about the price, fix it up and be happy with it, it's a great car. About the white smoke, I think it will disappear after it worms up. The engine is made for leaded gas and I don't know how much difference that makes?
    How much it is worth is hard to tell, you could pay a few thousand more or maybe less but it was set at the time of purchase. In a way it is like stocks on the market. :confuse:
  • My neighbor is giving me a 1965 mustang coupe for 500 dollars i dont really know if its worth it. The car has rust in the typical areas but pretty bad. It has the 289 and the floor pans are new. Is it worth it you think?
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,597
    Where is the rust? The whole body on these can go, it can be very expensive unless you like to do body work - do you? Was the cause of the floor pan rust (likely clogged drains or rusted out panels behind the dash) repaired? If not, the rust will return. Are critical areas, like the spring attachment points, rusty? Finally, these cars, even when completely restored, pose a high risk of passenger compartment fire in a rear end collision because the gas tank forms the floor of the trunk. Just so you know.
  • the frame is alright. interior is in good condition (no rust) and right now i am in an auto body class learning about this stuff. i believe he said the pans were replaced because of clogged drains. the guy who previously owned it put some new parts on it like the hood and new trunk lid and some other stuff. but do you think that its worth 500 dollars for it,for a project car.
    How's the engine/trans, and the front end? If it runs and can be driven, and you think you can do the body work, then $500 seems OK, as long as you know it'll be a lot of work and some $$ to get it right.
  • yeah everything on it is fine. but the guy has not started it up for about 2 or 3 months. thank you for helping me out.
    Sure, it's a good simple car to learn on and you can always unload it when you're done. Just stay sober about your budget as you put labor and money into it. Once you've acquired the skills to to a full restoration, you might want to start with a car that isn't rusted. A GT coupe would be nice, 289 auto.

• Converting to disc brakes is the smartest,best investment you can make to a Mustang. They don't stop for crap with drum brakes. I changed my fronts to disc brakes and it was the safest thing I did.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,741
    Once again, I totally disagree.

Yes, discs are better. No question about it. No argument there.

But the drums work just fine too! I have owned at least four 1965-1966 Mustangs and a 1968. They all had drums and they all stopped just fine even under emergency situations.

As long as things are up to snuff they are more than sufficient.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,332
    Agree because at one time, we owned a 65 Fairlane 289 Sedan with drums in front while we also, and still have, owned a 66 Mustang GT with discs. Neither were power, but both worked very well. Drum brakes don't have warped rotors. ;)
    yeah but they get freaky in the rain and they will fade pretty fast. It kinda depends on how you drive the car, really.

Case 1 - Drive in the country on nice days, parades, other low-demand use, drums OK
    Case 2 - Get one for junior to have a 'neat' car for school, drums no good.

Drums were not so much of a problem when everyone had them, but now, with everyone else having discs/ABS, I'd hate to be driving drums when the guy in front of me stands on his brakes!
    I think if I had power drum brakes with extra-grip linings and braided brake hoses and a 4-speed transmission I'd be okay...but manual brakes and an automatic mated to a V-8 and stock linings, I don't think so.

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,741
    Again I have to disagree.

YES, discs are better but they don't actually stop you THAT much faster.

Yes, if you overheat them they will fade. It takes a LOT to make that happen however.

Don't get me wrong. Given a choice I would rather have discs. To go to the trouble of changing a drum car to discs, it just wouldn't be worth it for me.

I wouldn't drive an old car like I do my modern ones.
    Mustangs have two advantages - they're a dime-a-dozen (except for rare ones) and the kits to swap are common and fairly inexpensive. My old manual drum brakes 'Stang had fair brakes. Like I said, weekends, OK, heavy Dallas traffic, no fun.
  • I have a question since I am not very much into cars. My dad passed away and and in his estate which I am executor of he left a 1965 Ford Mustang amoung the three he owned. The cars are now out of probate, and I am being asked by the courts what a fair market value is for the vehicles. The other two were easy, but I am having a hard time finding out where to get information on the Mustang. Can anyone give me a good suggestion on where to get the information I need? Thanks...
    There are lots of places to see what people are asking (autotrader, cars.com, ebay), but the place I go to see what people are paying is ebay, get to 1965 Ford Mustang:
    Link to '65 Mustang
    Then click the 'completed listings' box on the left, then click 'show items'. Right now there are about 190 listings there. You need an ebay account to look at them. What options does your dad's Mustang have? What shape is it in? There's a huge variation, depending on these two things.
  • Okay thanks. That is at least a start. Unfortunately my brother decided back in 1976 to cut out the front dash and put in a pioneer stereo and the back dash to put in speakers. Needless to say he paid dearly for it and not in cash. Otherwise everything else is still original and when started it still runs smooth. Thanks for the leads.
    As texases said, there are huge variations in price depending on body style, condition, engine options, color, transmission etc.

If you being asked by the courts, you'd best get an appraisal on it and submit that. If you are in California area I can point you to someone reliable.

The problem with doing it yourself is that you could be way off and possibly not do yourself a service tax-wise, etc.

BUT...if the courts will allow you to do it yourself, we can coach you to an accurate value if you give us the proper information in detail.

First you have to GRADE the car, using this type of guide:

http://manheimgold.com/value_faq.html

THEN you have to list:

body type (coupe, convertible, fastback)

Then engine size (260 V8, 289 V8, 289V8w/271HP K code engine, or 6 cylinder engine)

Then tranmission: automatic, 3-speed manual or 4-speed manual

Then color

Then whether there is rust or body damage

With all that we could probably zero right in on it for you.

And I should have mentioned - Ebay is a 'reality check' - the bid values at closing are a reasonable minimum value, since these are bids 'sight unseen' except for pictures and seller's (typically optimistic) descriptions. However, they do get you in the ballpark.
  • Looks like I am going to have to pay a visit to my dads garage and look it over for all of that information. I know my Bronco and Dodge Ram inside and out, but not the Mustang. I wrote your name and this posting down. Once I get over there and get all the info, I will get back here and let you know. I live in Missouri by the way. Thank for all the help and suggestions. My younger sister is getting the car and I want it to be a good call for her sake.
    Shifty's the value expert. You're going to get my two cent's worth as a former Mustang owner - they're fun to look at, but she'll want to be very sure of the mechanicals before using it frequently. And she should be aware that the gas tank forms the trunk's floor, with the filler tube in the trunk, not the best situation in a rear-end collision.
  • Well considering that my dad was a very well known and respectable auto mechanic and owned his own business all those years, he kept the mustang and the other two vehicles in excellent condition in all aspects of a vehicle. My sister is getting it because my dad wanted her to have it. She use to drive it when she was a teenager and every now and then just to cruise. Shes glad to have it and wants to restore it to showroom condition.
    This sounds like a perfect situation, then. I wish I had my old one, but it rusted away, as they're prone to do...
    If you post the VIN (you can leave out the last few numbers if you wish) that would be helpful.

Hopefully, you are located close to the Mustang Club www.showmemustang.com

Each club usually has several members who would be very accurate in appraising your Stang.

Yours is a Vintage and in high demand. ;)

Euphonium
    66MustangGT 6RO7A169929
    I think clubs are VERY helpful for information and often know more than appraisers, but they do tend to overvalue their own cars. This of course, is a perfectly human thing to do, but it's also why you might want to do your own research or hire an appraiser in a probate situation. Club members are not what they call "disinterested" parties and fair market value is usually determined by disinterested parties. Classic car dealers would also not qualify; however, they do know the market and if they aren't buying or selling the car, they'll give you a rock solid number.

Due to "Dealer Installed" and personal post manufacturer modifications there are more GT's out there than the three assembly lines produced.

If the 5th digit in the VIN is a "K" = rare engine and most valuable if in front of a 4 speed. ;)

Not to worry about the placement of the fuel tank. Other Ford produced vehicles are the same and the problem is nil.