Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1965 Mustang Value

13»

Comments

• texasestexases Posts: 5,533
    Not to worry about the placement of the fuel tank. Other Ford produced vehicles are the same and the problem is nil.

Like I said in my post, infrequent use no problem, but you just have to Google 'Mustang fuel tank fire' to come up with many hits on the problems associated with the tank's vulnerable location and lack of isolation from the passenger compartment. We live with risks every day, just need to be aware of them.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,321
    A diligent search of Google "Mustang fuel tank fire' produced the following.

"I'd like to point out that your classic Mustang has already survived 30
    or more years without suffering such an indignity. Statistically, very
    few of the millions of classic Mustangs have suffered this fate over the
    last 30 years!"

The possibility exists, but statistically zilch. ;)
    If you go to the following - you will read an interesting letter regarding the CA collision lawsuit.

www.theautochannel.com/news/press/date/19980715/press014589.html
  • rennie1355rennie1355 Posts: 1
    I have a 64.5 Mustang 260 with generator and power steering with an Eton pump. I am attempting to install origional factory airconditioning. I have mounted the compresor but now the Eton pump cannot be mounted back because the compressor extends to far. I am told that a factory Ford pump with a slanted reservoir may correct the problem or a remote power steering reservoir may also correct the problem. Does anyone know the correct way to fix this problem.
    After you join the Mustang Club of America, you can ask that publication your question(s) and they usually are very prompt about a reply. Google them and go for it.
  • nusnus Posts: 1
    i was just a little curious if anyone knew how to price a mustang that has a little rust,. It needs restored motor has sat for years the hole thing needs money but the body isn't that bad really. if anyone has any input it would be nice. thank you.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,539
    If it's a coupe that needs everything the value is really very little, and not worth fixing up unless maybe it was a convertible, or a 4-speed manual with V-8 motor. Sounds like a parts car to me if it's just an ordinary coupe that needs motor, interior, bodywork and paint. There really isn't such a thing as a 64.5 Mustang and you shouldn't pay extra for an early production car anyway. They are all 1965s as far as DMV and Ford are concerned.

I guess if you want a hobby and don't mind losing about half your money on a restoration, this might be a good car to learn some skills. You can buy very decent '65 coupes, daily drivers that look pretty good, for $6,000--7,500, and I'd encourage you to restore one of these rather than a wreck.

• a friend died and i am helping his wife sell his 1965 mustang fastback, 289, 2 bbl, 3-speed, standard trim. it has not run in about 30 years. it has little rust on bottom edge of drivers door. floor pan is solid. body is all there and looks good. black interior 2+2 seating, rangoon red in color. looking for a fair price to tell her so she is not cheated out of her late husbands car.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,539
    Kinda hard to hit this one without seeing it, but as a ballpark I'd say the car will sell in the $7500 to $12,500 range, depending on how bad the rust is.

If by "3-speed" you mean 3-speed manual transmission, that's a deduct on value. Also it sounds like it's not a GT, so that's a deduct as well. It could have a 200HP or 225HP engine, so that makes a difference, but not huge.

If someone offered $9K-$10K, I'd probably take it.

You can buy these in really nice shape for $22K--$28K

13»