Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sequoia

meredithmeredith Posts: 578
This topic is a continuation of Topic 3256....

Toyota Sequoia - NEW SUV - II. Please continue
these discussions here. Thanks!

Front Porch Philosopher
SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host

Comments

• We test drove a Sequoia Limited a couple weeks ago, along with a 2001 Land Cruiser, and noticed that the JBL 6cd stereo in the Sequoia had a booming bass sound from the front speakers, even when the bass was set minus 5. We decided on the Seq 2wd as the best vehicle for us, since we see very little snow but tow a horse trailer frequently. We worked out a good deal with another dealer who had one in stock, and picked it up yesterday. In the meantime, we read the 2001 LC posts (most recently 192-203) about the same type of booming bass sound, apparently traced to an amplifier problem in the 2001 LC. Sure enough, the booming bass goes away in our Seq when the engine is turned off, just as reported in the LC. The booming quality is definitely noticeable in FM stereo, but not very detectable in CD or cassette. Anybody else bothered by this in their Sequoia?
  • We were reading the owner's manual of our new Sequoia 2wd Limited, and were surprised to read
    1)Towing not recommended until after 2000 mile break-in period
    2)When towing "do not exceed 45mph."
    3)sway control device necessary for towing over 2000 pounds

None of these issues were mentioned by our dealer, who knew that we were buying the Sequoia as a tow vehicle for appx. 5000# horse-trailer.

Anybody talked to Toyota about these issues?
  • BTW, the dealer read out of a Tundra manual
    1) 500 mile break-in before towing
    2) same "do not exceed 45mph"
    3) same way control device recommendation
  • jam1000jam1000 Posts: 182
    I tow my 2-horse trailer with my 2000 LC, which is rated to tow 6500 (Seq. is 6200 if I'm not mistaken, though 2WD may be rated to pull a little more; in any event, they are comparable).

Regarding your issues, #1 seems odd, but #2 and #3 seem normal:

1) LC owner's manual also says 500 miles for the break-in period, not 2000 miles.

2) I don't believe the 45 mph issue relates to the inability of the vehicle to tow adequately at higher speeds; more of a driving safety recommendation. I suspect the manual for any towing vehicle would have a similar recommendation in order to avoid or limit the manufacturer's liability. The LC manual says that, because swaying increases as speed increases, exceeding 45 mph may cause loss of control. I have towed my 2-horse trailer (with one horse in it) with my LC at 60-65 quite comfortably.

3) Sway bars (aka load leveling bars). You WILL want to get these, as they will make the ride a lot smoother for your horse(s). Any horse trailer dealer in your area ought to have them. I forget how much they cost; on the order of $100-150, if I remember correctly. You'll also want to have trailer brakes installed. Again, any horse trailer dealer ought to be able to do this.

Hope this helps.
  • tbevertbever Posts: 39
    I have also noticed this. In general I am not impressed with the factory sound system and am planning to replace this with aftermarket Alpine IVA c800 with DVD Navigation module. Will let you know how this turns out in 2 - 3 weeks.
  • What was this about being ripped off for a 39 month lease? Is there any truth to that? Still waiting to see if I got a good deal for my sr5- convenience package and preferred package for 629.00 month- including taxes and gap insurance. The only money down was fees- opinions appreciated
  • I would tend to agree with you about the speed at which the manufactures tell you that one should tow. I own a SUV different from the Seq and in the safety information states that when towing, it is safest to not exceed 45mph.

I have been taught that the faster you tow in any vehicle, the faster things happen...
  • brillmtbbrillmtb Posts: 543
    Have to agree with you here. This site is becoming dominated by sales reports, finance options, etc that are important but should not be covered in such volume on this site.
    Read the recent Motor Trend article on the Seq before buying. It will confirm much of what has been said on this site on both sides of the issues reguarding 4wd ability, initial perception of quality, comparison to similar SUV's, weaknesses and strengths.

Overall it confirmed everything I have been saying about the Sequoia and should help a prospective buying go down his checklist of things he needs his SUV to do.

There are definite "weaknesses" noted in the article but then no one should believe that the Sequoia is the ultimate SUV anyway. There are some strenghts as well, especially if you are new to driving a 4wd in adverse conditions.
    Please excuse the spelling in that last post, up all night (actually all weekend). Where's my coffee now Dianne, I need it.
  • What was this about being ripped off for a 39 month lease? Is there any truth to that? Still waiting to see if I got a good deal for my sr5- convenience package and preferred package for 629.00 month- including taxes and gap insurance. The only money down was fees- opinions appreciated
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    They are not rip offs. What Toyota is doing is allowing us to use a 39 month term with a 36 month residual. by extending the term without lowering the residual, the payments drop. Not a bad deal if leases in general benefit your situation.
  • Cliffy, mon cherie... it's great for some, especially those with the intention of buying it down the road. BUT, and this is a qualified BUT - in states like CA where license fees are high, you have to pay the license fees for the entire year. If your lease ends in 39 months and you are tossing the keys back to Toyota or the lease bank, whatever you might have saved in payments you threw away on the 4th year of license fees. Yes, it enables the amortized residual to be split 39 ways vs. 36 ways, but that $20-25-30 bucks a month or so gets eaten back up in license fees at month 36 anyway, and you only get to drive it to month 39. It's a wonderful idea if you think the car's a keeper and don't plan to turn it in at lease-end, or at least before the license due-date of the third anniversary of the car's original sale. Food for thought.

-Di
  • I have your coffee right here but you need Javascript to see it.

;>
  • I am surprised that Toyota recommends these above 2000 pounds. In my mind, if Toyota says the vehicle can tow X pounds, it should be able to tow X pounds without adding "optional equipment." Otherwise, Toyota should state that additional equipment is required. To the best of my knowledge, other manufacturers will tell you exactly that -- that something else might be needed to reach maximum towing capacity.
    As for trailer brakes, sure, they are very helpful, but they are really completely irrelevant when it comes to listing maximum towing ability.
    I, for one, would be very upset with Toyota and my dealer if I had to return the vehicle to the dealer, waste a day, and pay anything additional for optional sway bars.
    As a comparison, I believe the Toyota Sienna will tow 2000 pounds or something close to that without any optional equipment (other than a hitch).
    Toyota -- shame on you.
    I'd be very interested to hear real life reports on how the Sequ performs with heavy towing.
  • I just took a peak at Toyota.com and Toyota does drop a footnote stating that a sway control device may be needed and to talk to your dealer about it.
    By the way, the same site states that the Sienna can tow 2000 pounds, 3500 max.
    Wow, a full-sized SUV capable of towing only 2000 pounds off the lot.
    That is really pathetic and, more importantly, potentially dangerous too.
    Virginia has annual tag fees of $36.50. I guess the 39 month deal makes a lot more sense here.
    Read the owner's manuals of most manufacturers and you will see similar verbiage. Any time you are towing anything, you are introducing a number of variables and the liability on the manufacturer becomes very high. I tow 4200 pounds and don't use a sway control device. I really don't think I need it. If I ever had an accident and I sued Toyota for not telling me about it, I would have a better argument.

Keep in mind, a large number of things in your book were written by lawyers. These are the same type of lawyers who are responsible for notes like "warning, coffee is hot and can cause extreme burns"

Brakes are required in many states and are a good idea on anything that weighs over 1500 pounds. I actually have disc brakes on both axles of my trailer. That is my choice and it is most likely overkill.

Finally, one member here has once again demonstrated that they know nothing about one of our products. The Sienna is not a full sized SUV. It is a mid sized minivan built on a unibody platform. The standard towing capacity is 2000 pounds but most are built with a tow prep package the raises the capacity to 3500 pounds by the addition of a heavy duty radiator and transmission cooler.
  • Thanks for the clarification Dianne. That is exactly what I had heard. And, being from Calif. where the fees are outrageous, the 39 mo. lease is not a good idea.
  • What the H are you talking about again?
    My point was that the Sienna, a puny, 6 cyl minivan, has the same towing capacity off the lot as the full-sized 8 cyl Sequ does off the lot. A mere 2000 pounds.
    Plus, I don't think Chrysler, Ford or GM recommends any additional sway bars for towing over 2000 pounds, or any other poundage limit for that matter -- and all of these full-sized vehicles can tow significantly more than Sequ in the first place.
    Cliffy, sometimes, most times?, your bias simply gets in the way of plain common sense.
    And, finally, it is NOT me.
    I quote from Toyota's web site.
    Sienna -- 2000 pounds off the lot towing capacity, 3500 with additional equipment.
    Sequ -- 2000 pounds off the lot towing capacity, 6200 (4 wheel drive version) with additional equipment.
    PATHETIC.
    I'm glad Dianne had that info on CA tag fees. I am a CA native but haven't lived there for 10 years. I forgot about the confiscatory tag fees.
  • jam1000jam1000 Posts: 182
    Don't even bother with #20; he's just trying to goad you.

BTW, you're right about other mfrs. When I bought my 94 JGC (rated to tow 6500), I was issued the same recommendations by Chrysler about sway bars and trailer brakes. Same with my 91 GM product (which I got rid of promptly upon the expiration of the warranty).
    You are of course correct. I elected to scribble my tongue in cheek response.
    I went to the GMC home page to see what they said about towing with the Yukon. They didn't show the actual towing capacity but said "a towing capacity up to 12000 pounds." I am sure this is the 1 ton model but then at the bottom was this interesting statement:

*Your vehicle may require additional special equipment to tow the maximum trailer weight listed here. Maximum trailer ratings are calculated assuming a standard equipped base vehicle plus driver. The weight of optional equipment, passengers, cargo, and required trailering equipment will reduce the maximum trailer weight. Trailer tongue weight should be 10-15% of total loaded trailer weight. See the GMC Trailering Guide for details.

I guess GM has lawyers too.
  • Yet again.
    1) JGC is at best a mid-sized SUV. It is not intended to do any serious towing.
    2) 12,000 pounds is some serious poundage. This probably requires the diesel engine that is offered on the Yukon.
    3) I have seen nothing that states, other than the "optional" towing hitch, that anything else is required to tow the STANDARD towing weight for a Suburban, which is 7,700 pounds by the way. Of course, if you option it up, you can go up from there. No lawyers there.
    4) The more I listen to you, the more I think you really are just a bald face liar, just like the Tundra owners claimed you were in the Edmunds forum.
  • Cliffy.
    Want to wager some bucks on whether GM requires or even recommends optional sway bars to tow the 7,700 standard towing weight with a Suburban?
    I'm in for whatever you are willing to put up.
  • But a 2000 pound limit without optional sway bars?
    You have to admit, that is pretty funny.
    I bet you Cliffy ain't to happy some of his prospective customers discovered that little footnote.
    Below is the exact quote from the Toyota web page on the Sequoia:

3All figures reflect the weight of occupants, equipment and cargo. For each model, a Class III or IV receiver hitch and sway control device are either required or recommended additional equipment. See your Toyota dealer for details. \

Note the use of the word "recommended". It does not way anything about being required. If you plan on towing a large trailer with any vehicle, most trailer experts will recommend that you have a sway control devise. I have chosen to ignore this recommendation for my own towing but I understand that I do so at my own peril.

I have a hitch on my Tundra that is rated for towing 5000 pounds by simply mounting a ball. I choose to follow the manufacturers recommendation and have added a frame mounted hitch.

Why do we have to go through this? What is the point?

Oh yes, and when it says to see your dealer for details, that is exactly what I will tell you.
  • I guess a Class III or Class IV hitch is recommended too (as opposed to "required")!!!!
    Be pretty tough to tow without one of those!!!!
    What a joke.
    6200 pounds to begin with is pretty pathetic. I, for one, would never attempt to tow close to maximum rated poundage. That brings it down to at least 5,000 pounds of comfortable towing poundage WITH all the extras -- meaning sway bars.
    What a joke!!!!!
    Man o man, I'm sorry. I can't stop laughing. This is better than the Giants win over the 'Skins yesterday.
    I believe sway control bars and load leveling mechanisms are two different things.

Load leveling "spreads the weight" in effect beyond the hitch to the vehicle and trailer. The rear wheel sag can be taken out and ride height and handling restored (except for the extra weight).

Sway control help keep the trailer from, well...swaying back and forth.

Both can be used.

If you both are towing this kind of weight trailer brakes are important as well. Especially on the shorter wheelbased LC. The LC could be manhandled by a 5000lb trailer. If your trailer starts to push your rear out in slippery conditions or the trailer starts whipping the rear you need the breaks to save your life.

The Sequoia, despite being listed with a lower towing capacity, should be a better tow vehicle because of the longer wheelbase (it is longer I believe?).

Most of the pros in my state who tow use all three on thier trailers and never tow with a short wheel based vehicle at weights around 5000lb or more......thats asking for problems.