Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• hrghrg Posts: 1
    My '04 Sequoia 4WD has about 12,000 miles on it and I have an "interesting " problem:

Last Thursday, while driving in city conditions, the vehicle began to shake and emit a loud metallic "clanking" sound - rather like a lug nut loose in a hubcap - My immediate reaction was that I had blown a tire - as I slowed to a stop, the noise slowed, reinforcing my initial impression. I got out and found all four tires in good order. Since I was only a few miles from my dealer, I decided to try and drive, slowly, to the service department. I started up - noise and shaking gone! I drove on a bit - nothing - and then decided that i had picked up a rock or piece of debris in a tire and it had been thrown off.

The same thing happened on Saturday under similar (city driving) conditions. After stopping, I drove uneventfully to the dealership.

Thus far, they have found nothing - no stored codes and no apparent problem seen on inspection nor have they been able to duplicate the problem.

Any suggestions?
  • fishcar1fishcar1 Posts: 3
    I've heard that sound! I'll bet you started driving with the parking brake on... I have done that a few times, and it feels/sounds just as you describe... shaking and a noise like a lug nut has come off.

With me, it usually has occurred after someone else has driven my car, and parked w/o setting the parking brake. By habit, I kick the brake off just before starting to roll. If the brake wasn't set to begin with, I end up kicking it on w/o realizing it.
  • happycchappycc Posts: 4
    We are a possible sequoia buyer.
    We currently own a Dodge Grand Caravan 98 and a Toyota Corolla Station Wagon 95.
    Our Dodge just caught on fire last week due to electrical problems. Sigh!
    Ok prior to that I owned an 82 Toyota Supra that was running just fine in 1994. I have been happy with the Toyota but the vibrating problem is a pain. I have had vibrating problems with all of my Toyota vehicles.
    We are a family of 5 living in the Bay Area East Bay CA. We have two dogs. We are planning on going on more camping trips and ski trips in the future as well as owning a horse (for my young daughter-she is 7yrs) and getting an airstream and traveling (for my husband).
    We have test drove an Odyssey, Pilot, Sienna, and Sequoia. And "looked" at a Highlander.
    We liked the Sequoia the best. The kids were comfortable in the back-their legs weren't squished like in the Pilot. The visability was good for me than the Odyssey. I am short. The seat felt more comfortable for my back than the Odyssey and Sienna.
    I want to know whether or not Sequoia 2005 SR5 2wd can safely tow a horse trailer (one horse) and if so what extras should we have the dealer install prior to taking it. We are going to do this purchase online.
    By the way do NOT go to the Dublin, CA Toyota dealership. They were rude and pushy. We have been there several times now and it is the same old same old attitude. We wanted to test drive and boy did they give a stink about that.
  • raddboy41raddboy41 Posts: 249
    I'm towing a 24' travel trailer with my 2002 Sequoia very nicely! You'll need a weight distribution hitch( http://www.equalizerhitch.com ) and good brake controller (Prodigy) to keep it all under control, but the Sequoia is quite capable. Have the (st)ealer install nothing and go to a reputable hitch installer. All you need to do is make sure you have the towing option on the Sequoia.
  • cybercyber Posts: 1
    I am also a potential Sequoia buyer. Would buy now but I have heard that the Sequoia is close to a complete redesign for 2006 with similar mechanicals but new body design and wider choice of colors. Any confirmation?
  • petro33petro33 Posts: 192
    I also tow a travel trailer (22 foot at 6,200lbs)no problem with the right equipment that cyber identified. I have been towing the trailer since I got the seq in 2001. You just need to replace the differencial fluid nore often (5,000 miles) when you tow often. This is identified in the owners manual.

I am also waiting to see whats new in '06. I may trade mine in as it has almost 90,000 miles on it.
    Thank you radboy and petro for the 411.
    I am also wondering if 4x4 is necessary to tow? Ok would you say horse trailers are heavier than the travel trailers? What travel trailers do you have? We are thinking of airstream.

Carolyn
    yes I would love to speak with you in person. what is the best way to do this?
    Carolyn
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,181
    If a member wants to be contacted by email they can mark their address public in their profile Click on a member name to get to the profile.

Our discussions are indexed by the search engines, so if you post email addresses in your message, you'll be targeted by spammers or worse.

Profiles aren't indexed and the information in their is more difficult to access by spam-bots.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• petro33petro33 Posts: 192
    No need for a 4x4, rear wheel drive is best (at least thats what I have read). We tow a Komfort, just a big box that blocks the wind. I think that a horse trailer in general would be lighter (foot for foot) than a travel trailer)

In CA the speed limit is 55 for vehicles pulling trailers but other states vary. A few years ago we took a trip to Yellowstone from CA and many of the states had different limits. I found no problem at the higher speeds.

As was said before an weight distribution hitch is a must and a sway bar is nice, but I don't use mine. I found it too restrictive once I learned how to pull a trailer without one.
  • raddboy41raddboy41 Posts: 249
    Petro is correct in that 4x4 actually reduces your towing capacity due to the weight of the additional hardware. However, I cannot stress enough the need for sway control in SAFELY towing a camper or horse trailer. Today's sway control devices, with the Equalizer or Reese Dual Cam, are not restrictive in ANY manner except in controlling sway which can kill you on the highway. If you've got the money, you could opt for a Hensley Arrow hitch.
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    I believe the new Sequoia is not due here until the MY2007 release. So if you are waiting, you'd have to wait 18 months for the re-design. I have an '01 as well that still rocks. Only has 61K miles. Rides as good as brand spanking new. The Sequoia is generally a nice truck, if you like heavy 1-ton machines rumbling down the highway, preferably behind (not in front) of you. My wife does (she owns the Seq). Me, I plead the 5th !

:)
  • I want to buy Sequioa, but I can not decide which driving system I have to choose. Is REAR 2 wheel drive with traction control good enough to drive winter snowing weather? or do I have to go with 4 wheel drive? I do not want to spend more money for unnecessary option that could cost even more when it has problem. Does anybody who lives in a long winter region drive 2 wheel drive? I live in Kansas.
    I will appreciate your suggestion.
  • Any clue as to why a rear window wiper would just stop working? It just stopped working this past weekend.

I hate to take it to the dealership if it's possibly something simple and easy to correct.

Any info would be much welcomed!!

KD
  • 2toyotas2toyotas Posts: 104
    First check to see if your rear window defogger is working. If it is not lower your rear hatch window, and then raise it all the way up. This may do the trick. If that window is open at all both things will not work. Good Luck!
  • kennynmdkennynmd Posts: 424
    Also, check the fuse. If its not connected to the front wipers, the fuse may be blown.
  • husky92husky92 Posts: 56
    Ok, this is less a Sequoia question than a general question, but it does deal with gas in my Sequoia so I'll try this forum.

I live in the northwest where inexplicably Arco gas is about 10 cents a gallon less than the next cheapest gas. I hear lots of people claim they won't put Arco in their car but they don't give any tangible reason why. I think they just assume that since it's cheap, it must be bad. Is the oil industry regulated to the point where gas from one company is essentially the same as gas from another? I mean, 87 octane is 87 octane right?
    There's more info in the What about fuel types & gas mileage? discussion. I haven't used Arco since I moved 5 years ago but it worked ok for me. I hardly ever carry cash though and they didn't take credit cards (maybe that's another reason why it's cheaper?).

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Hi Shone0405
    Well to make a long story very short
    I had a SEQ 2WD and Tundra 2WD both 01
    Don't go there if you run into snow more then twice a year. The REAR end is WAY TOO LIGHT
    I changed this year to 2005 SEQ Lmt - Fantastic -4x4 saved me greatly. Remember though - you know have 4 wheels spinning! as a Firefighter - we pull 100 4 wheel drives to 1 two wheel drive!!!
    just a friendly reminder ;o)
  • Hello grahamjames10,

After I posting here, I was thinking I better go with 4x4 for family safety. Thank you very much for your kind answer! And I will keep in mind that stat (Wow?!), too.
  • husky92husky92 Posts: 56
    we pull 100 4 wheel drives to 1 two wheel drive!!!
    just a friendly reminder

4 wheel drive helps you get started and keeps you from getting stuck, it doesn't help you to stop. In fact, the Sequoia, being as heavy as it is, doesn't stop as well as most cars. Seems like common sense but a lack of understanding this basic principle is why you see so many people in 4X4s driving at unsafe speeds in snow and ice.
    Here in So Cal, Arco (AM/PM) is usually 5c cheaper, but they add 35c to any non-cash (ATM) purchase. So you have to be buying more than 7 gallons+ to *break even*. My favorites are Mobil and Chevron, no particular reason, just personal preference.
  • Can anyone advise me on either getting a new Limited Sequoia loaded or a used Land Cruiser with 20K to 30K miles on it? Which will last me longer and are the main differences just luxury features? Thanks.

About to buy
    Depends on what you are looking for. But lets examine a few objective facts about the two:

Size: Seq is bigger than the LC
    NVH: LC slightly better than Seq.
    Build quality: LC better than Seq.
    Luxury features: LC is better slightly
    Engine HP: Seq has 280hp vs LC's 235hp
    Sequoia LTD = 2WD & 4WD; LC = 4WD only
    Similar drivetrain
    Price: xxxx

Your choice....
  • munclemuncle Posts: 1
    Sorry, but what is NVH. I see it many car magazines and can't figure it out. I'm Not a complete idiot, just a partial one.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    A 2 year old's loud scream.....NOISE

Driving over a RR track..........VIBRATION

Your mother-in-law...............HARSHNESS
    Your mother-in-law...............HARSHNESS

LOL !!! :D
    NVH is sometimes used for New Vehicle High (those few hours after driving off the lot before something starts squeaking, the first symptom of the other NVH).

Steve, Host

I got my sequoia on the weekend!!!!
    SR5 2wheel drive cloth seats, tow hitch included... very very happy. We went to Hayward Toyota after calling a ton of places from San Jose to Roseville and calling a bunch of places as well. Mark Maki at Hayward Toyota wins big time. It was so pleasant of a sale. We got it only $1000 over invoice and with the rebate we will be under invoice probably. I am very pleased.
    Anyways anyways to help pay off the loan we are planning to start towing horses for people for a nominal fee. Someone mentioned getting an equilizerhitch and good brake controller like prodigy. Does anyone know of a good horse trailer that works safely with the Sequoia?
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    Previous posts about a 4x4 having a lower tow rating are 100% correct. A 4X4 weighs more - but the Gross weight rating of both trucks is normally the same.

In the case of the Sequoia the difference is 300 pounds (6,200 VS 6,500)

But - a few points to consider.

If you will ever be driving in crummy weather (and who doesn't) - a 4x4 is nice towing or not.

If you will always be on hard surface roads and parking lots - a 4x4 is not that important - but I have seen more than a few 2wd trucks (with a trailer) stuck because they had to park in overflow parking (out on the grass after a rain) also seen many foolish 2wd SUV's stuck at soccer tournaments even though they were not pulling anything. Although in this situation having good tires is almost as important as having 4WD.

IMO - if you are going to tow on a regular basis (say more than 1 per month) & if the 300 pounds less towing capacity of the 4x4 puts you over the tow rating of the truck then you need a bigger truck anyway.