Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• Thanks, please let me know about the arbitration. I guess that will be my next step. I have other issues with this vehicle that Toyota dealership states they can't "verify---. Ever since I got the Seqouia, it has leaned to the left, they say that the bumpers are of equal distance from the ground, but any slightly educated person can see this leans. The ride is horrendous, very shaky and bumpy. How can other Seqouia owners say great ride?
    Thanks!
  • Have you filed a complaint with the national highway safety commision? If not, please do so ASAP, place it under the Exhaust and Air Region. The direct link is:
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
    Greer
  • I have about 8500 miles on my new Sequoia, but something does not feel quite right with both the front seats as far as heat in them?? When I have set them in high, they don't even feel like they are on low and when I set them on low they feel lukewarm? Has anyone out there noticed if there seats seem cool for being heated? I traded in my 2002 4-Runner with factory seat heaters and they get alot warmer. The dealer wants to take the seats out and check the wiring? I am not so comfortable with that.
  • That is so funny, and I thought it was just me! I have exact problem, when on low, I do get some heat, but when on high, I get very little heat, this Sequoia has problems!! What about any exhaust smell in your cabin??
  • No exhaust smells or anything else..just the heated seats seem a bit strange. The dealer had it for two hrs and used some type of temp gauge for the seats but said that it was inconclusive, so now wants it for another couple of hrs to take the seat out and check wiring? Speaking of rocket science, shouldn't they either work or not?
  • Please let me know what the outcome is. My local Toyota dealership is not worth a turd! They can never "replicate" any of my concerns, tell me it is just my imagination. I have had friends with enginerring degrees support my claims, but I am still "hallucinating?"
  • My wife has a 2006 SR5 2wd 27k miles. The sulfur/ammonia smell became noticeable when we drove with the back window down. It was very strong and can make you queazy. We took it into the dealer this week along with a Technical Service Bulletin #Service Bulletin Num : 01306 and NHTSA Item Number: 10021714. This states excessive sulfur odor. Long story, short: It was covered by the warranty, they are having to install a new exhaust all the way up to the manifold including the catalytic converter. I was told by Yota that the parts alone are about $2700.00. You can notice it when parked also if the wind is blowing right. The service rep told me it had something to do with sensors that are now made into the exhaust system and are malfunctioning somehow.
    Hope this gives some help.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    A reporter seeks consumers who drive large SUVs. Please send your daytime contact information to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, December 14, 2007.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• Thanks, I plan to take mine back to dealer this week and will be armed with all the comments from this site and NHTSA, appreciate the heads up!
  • For past year this suv will all sudden experience loss of power when driving down the interstate. Although you haven''t removed your foot from the accelerator pedal the engine seems to think you have. It starts slowing down for no reason. Sometimes at a stop sign I've noticed you have to push farther down on the accelerator pedal than normal to get it to go. Dealership says it's not throwing a bad code so they can't find anything wrong. Had throttle body cleaned but still doing the loss of power thing. If I recall back about year ago when problem first started the VSC light came on for while but went off. This is very annoying and kind of a safety issue to us. Can anyone tell me how to get this fixed? thanks
  • I have noticed this off and on, it happened out of blue last week, have not really thought much about it, guess was thinking fuel filter needed changed but forget about until it happens. It has nearly placed me in danger before as I pull out onto highway from side street, then I loose power. Let me know what you discover!
  • You aren't gonna believe this but I thought I would check the brake fluid. It was on the minimum line so I filled it back up to the maximum line. The Sequoia has not cut out while driving since. Only time will tell, but check the level of brake fluid. I heard someone else talking about their Toyota doing same thing except the brake light came on. They filled it back up and it fixed the problem.
  • abbylouabbylou Posts: 33
    Bought a 2007 Sequoia and was not really ready to pay what Toyota wanted for the DVD/Nav since all I wanted was the Nav, but can the dealer install the Nav after the fact? I have the 10 speaker JBL system. I thought about the portable, but like having the dash clear.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,896
    Do some research. The Toyota NAV in my 07 Sequoia is not that great. There are much better in dash units for a lot less money.
  • Hi there,

I am considering buying a Yakima Sky Box Pro 21 to place on my 07 Toyota Sequoia. Has anyone here put a box like this on a Sequoia? If so what has your experience been with milage and wind noise from the box. http://images.ems.com/media/images/products/210/21023/2102315/210231575/21023157- 5_400-a.jpg">link title
    Thanks in advance,

Robert
  • I just recently bought an 01 Sequoia and the previous owner started to install fog lights but never got around to hooking them up to a switch. I would like to know what is the best way to hook them up so that I can switch them on/ off in the cab and also have them turn off when I turn off my regular lights. I have been looking around for a description for dummies like me but can't seem to find one. I know enough about electrical to install them but I need some help to make sure I don't fry my other electrical. Thanks
  • mdawg25mdawg25 Posts: 23
    Yeah, the 45 mph thing is just a safety thing. I noticed it even says that on little u-haul trailers. The Sequoia is capable of pulling far faster than that. I've pulled a pop up camper about 80 across Wyoming.
  • mdawg25mdawg25 Posts: 23
    Uhhh... The Sienna is a minivan, not an SUV
  • brownlbjbrownlbj Posts: 1
    Can I use a wire cloth hanger?
  • Hello everyone. I have a 2001 sequoia SR5 with the standard light switch on the steering column (not the multi funtion switch) and would like to install fog lights. I currently have: OEM wiring harness intact and ready to be plugged into lights, Fog lights with OEM connector installed in position in the bumper, 15 amp fuse installed in fog lamp slot. When I plug the lights in they do not turn on. Suggestions!!! I would like to run it through the OEM system to make it easy. Any help would be greatly apprecitated. Directions, Instructions, Step by Steps. Thanks.
  • I am trying to find out the same information, I am looking at the silver Yakima Sky Box Pro for my 04 Toyota Sequoia. Did you end up getting it?
  • vike84vike84 Posts: 2
    oh boy yes i have and u must be pulling your hair out over this, I bought a 2002 sequioa and had everyone and there brother try to change the mode from 1 to anything, the problem with this was located on a lexus question site, and your answer my friend on how to change this to any mode is, turn it to on position for the key,(you dont need the parking brake), and hold the door lock button for "exactly" 5 seconds (use a watch), tada, it will quickly unlock and lock and your mode is changed to whichever you want. I dont have any idea why toyota says to hold the button for at least 5 seconds, it should say only 5 seconds and not 1 less or 1 more second...... Good Luck and rogaine should grow back the hair clumps that im sure you pulled out already..... :mad: :cry: :P
  • vike84vike84 Posts: 2
    I would like to change alot of the items you listed in your above thread, but how do you enter this program to change these codes? the only thing in my users manual that came with my sequoia was how to change the automatic locks, and that was a chore to figure out that you needed to hold the lock down for exactly 5 seconds and not at least like the manual stated.... any information you have for where to find out how to change each of these options would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

mattmead635084@hotmail.com :confuse:
  • This is a known problem and I have taken two different earlier model Sequoia's to the dealer where both were diagnosed in less than 10 minutes with having a warped exhaust manifold. This could be a potential life threatening problem as the exhaust gases could get into the passenger compartment and kill the passengers. If sufficient number of complaints are raised,with DOT a recall could happen.
  • This is a known problem to all Toyota dealers. I have taken two different earlier model Toyota Sequois to the dealers where both trucks were diagnosed in less than 10 minutes with having a warped exhaust manifold.

At the onset of problem, there will be an increase in the level of engine noise (promindue to the leak in the exhaust manifold).
    As the manifold warps further and the leak increases, the check engine light would come on as the level of Oxygen the Catalytic Converter Bank-1 will drop, and OBDII code of P0420 would reported.

All those who have had this problem should report this problem to the sites listed below, as well as to Toyota US, Toyota Canada, and Toyota Mexico

This could be a potential life threatening problem as the exhaust gases could get into the passenger compartment and kill the passengers. If sufficient number of complaints are raised and registered with the following organizations, a recall may happen:
    Depart Of Transportation
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration(NHTSA)
    Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS)
    Transport Canada

Please note that fixing this at the Toyota dealer will set you backup $3000+ for each side of the exhaust manifold when using Toyota parts, then the manifold will warp again in a year or two!!!! You can try buying after market parts where the manifolds sell for $200 and the oxygen sensors sell for about $100, plus labour (a hit in the pocket of about $1000).
  • cyw928cyw928 Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Sequoia 2wd with 39,500 miles of mostly local driving and a couple of trips from Los Angeles to San Francisco and L.A. to Las Vegas. The local mileage is 10 mpg and the best mileage on the highage being 17 mpg. I should count my blessings that so far I haven't had some of the problems that the other owners have had except the lousy gas mileage and the broken liftgate handle. Do I have to contact Toyota about the TSB bulletin on the brakes?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,153
    If you are a Toyota owner and interested in sharing your reaction to the recall with reporters, send an email stating the vehicle you own, your telephone number, and the best time you can be reached.

Send to: karen@edmunds.com

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Has anyone had problems with the interior lights not shutting off after 20 mins (as per the manual).

The dome lights and headlights all shut down after 20min but if the kids leave a reading light on the batt is dead in the am. Plus the courtesy lights (the little ones on the bottom of the doors) do not shut off either .

The dealer seems to think this is ok... I don;t think so... the manual states the to preserve the batt life all the light are supposed to shut down after 20 min.. Batt has been dead about 6 times in the last 3 months.

It has an auto starter installed and I have asked them to check to see if this is interfering...

any ideas
  • I have this same problem with my 2002 Sequoia SR5. It started at around 26000 miles and continues today at 59000 miles. From the many posts on many web sites that I've read, it appears the replacement ECMs ($2000-$3500) are no quarantee that the problem will be go away. I believe this is an electrical system failure that Toyota and NHTSA have been ignoring for years due to the high cost of a recall. I have again written to my congressman about this. It may take a "death count" for them to act on this. I will never again spend $42700.00 on a Toyota vehicle.
  • mordlymordly Posts: 1
    hey I've been searching around on the internet for the exact same fix....please let me know if you have come across the information to activated the foglights for the Sequoia. I actually have them installed but wont come on. I to have the 2001 SR5

thanks a million ahead of time,

Carl

ps email me at: Shuckyducky222@aol.com