Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    probably had fully inflated tires.....
  • Sequoia and other Toyota SUVs were rated in 2003.... Sequoia was only three stars.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/2003SUVs.html
  • aliminalimin Posts: 67
    (This is the 3rd time I've posted this...)

I now own an '02 HL and am thinking about trading to an '05 SEQ. I really like the ride of the HL, and am wondering if anyone else has made a similar switch and could share their experience - ride, driving, etc.

Thanks!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    (This is the 3rd time I've posted this...)

Unfortunately, a number of posts got lost during our software upgrade and we regret the inconvenience.

tidester, host
  • bp3959bp3959 Posts: 156
    The highlander is going to give you a better luxury ride as the sequoia is build on a truck frame, but you'll get more truck capability out of the sequoia. Keep in mind, you are considering two extremely different vehicles. Below are the comparison items I found on edmunds.

Price: Sequoia will average about 13k more

Warranty: Same

Engine: highlander 3.3 v6 vs sequoia 4.7 v8

Drivetrain: highlander AWD,traction control, vsc vs sequoia 4wd high and low, transfer case, locking center diff, vsc, traction control, and 2wd mode.

Power liftgate window: sequoia only

Suspension: highlander front and rear independent vs sequoia front independant and rear solid axle.

Structure: highlander unitized body vs sequoia full boxed ladder frame

Seating: 7 highlander vs 8 sequoia

Power steering: sequoia has speed-proportional steering

Rear brakes: highlander disc vs sequoia ventilated disc

Turning radius: highlander 5 ft tighter

Cargo capacity: highlander 81 cu. ft vs sequoia 128 cu. ft

Towing: highlander 3500 lbs vs sequoia 6200 lbs

Gas: highlander 18/24 vs sequoia 14/17

Fuel tank: highlander 19.1 gal vs sequoia 26.1 gal

Length: sequoia 20 inches longer

width: sequoia 6 inches wider

height: sequoia 8 inches taller

weight: sequoia 1300 lbs heavier

ground clearance: sequoia 3.3 inches higher

As for driving, I was very surprised with how easy the sequoia is to drive considering the thing is huge, in fact it was the easiest to drive out of all the comparable SUV's I test drove by quite a large margin.

The highlander is very similar to the Sienna minivan, same engine, same towing, similar room and dimensions, same suspension design, unitized bodies(full frame for sequoia), and similar drivetrains. Even though the sequoia rides quite nice, it's still a truck and you'll get a nicer ride from the highlander.

Hope this helps, I've tried to be as unbiased as possible being a sequoia owner.
    Thanks, bp3959! You've done a great job comparing the two. I'm still in a quandary though regarding the ride difference - my HL is great on our frequent 6-7 hour drives but I like the SEQ's longer wheel base and height and capacity. More research ahead!
  • The Sequoia is great on long trips. I have made four 650 mile trips (about 11 hours each)Part of one trip was in heavy rain. The 4WD system worked well when hitting puddles at Interstate highway speed. Also when work areas are encountered, the Sequoia takes them in stride. We have taken a number of Winter trips to Northern Vermont (250 miles), some in bad weather and have always felt secure. I agree with bp3959 that it drives like a smaller SUV and I would add that it is very comfortable. However, I have not driven the Highlander. If you need the extra room or better off road capability, go for the Sequoia. If you don't need them, then the Sequoia is a waste of money.
  • arslanarslan Posts: 36
    I have to transport furniture (i.e., chairs and table) and do not want to scratch the paint on my roof. So, I was thinking of purchasing a luggage basket. Are there any fairly decent roof rack systems out there that are fairly inexpensive?

I can recall spending nearly $400 for a Yakima bike rook rack system for my Avalon but do not want to head down that road again. Yakima's system is too inflexible.
  • Dont know about anyone here, but I was kind of bummed that more updates were not made to the '05. I was really hoping for a major refresh to the interior (which it looks like there were NONE). The 5-speed tranny is a great add. Suposedly, the updated engine needs premium gas? Thats weak! Since I have been waiting to purchase an '05, I was happy to see that no major re-designs will happen for at least 2 years. Any thoughts
    Does anyone know why toyota would use a clutch fan on the sequoia instead of electric fans? I'm curious because not only will electric fans not rob power from the motor, but i've heard they move more air.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Can generate a LOT more waste heat under a heavy towing load and a clutch coupling can couple a lot more power/rpm to the fan accordingly.
    Thanks wwest, makes sense.
  • factory web site. No mention of Torsen Transfer case or premium fuel requirement. MPG is up by 1 MPG city and hwy for the 4wd version.
  • nescovinnescovin Posts: 24
    Just bought my new 04 SR5.
    I noticed that this car sits really high and I don't have much visibility while parallel parking.
    My wife and I are used to the reverse sense park assist system that we had on our previous SUV. I got an after market quote to install this which included a visual LED system installed inside the car (at the back end of the roof) for $500. Has anybody installed an after market reverse sense system?
    Wonder why Toyota doesn't offer a reverse sense system?
  • tdo123tdo123 Posts: 102
    "The 4WD system worked well when hitting puddles at Interstate highway speed"

Unless you were in deep snow, you were not feeling 4WD. That would do nothing unless you had wheel slippage.
  • On the winter trips I had one occassion when I was doing 65 mph at night, on an upgrade, the VSC came on and cut the gas. This alerted me that I was traveling too fast for the road conditions. I know that this is not the 4WD, but I believe the two systems are integrated. On wet roads when one might hydro plane I feel confident that the combination of the two would keep me out of trouble. I know these systems are not FOOL proof. On our winter trips, I have seen many SUVs off the road because they don't stop any better than 2WD.
  • trdsctwotrdsctwo Posts: 67
    I have recently noticed an intermittant high pitched whistling sound coming from the roof of
    my Sequoia. It is not pure wind noise and it does
    not seem to be really speed related. At first I
    thought that a loose moonroof wind deflector was
    the problem so I removed it. The sound still persisted. I think that I have narrowed it down to the roof rack but I am not sure. I know it is
    not a leek around either the moonroof, windshield or windows because I can hear it louder when the
    moonroof is open.
    Any thoughts before I take it into the dealership
    to have them look into it???
  • try sliding the front crossbar on the roof rack back (or forward) a few inches and see if the noise changes.
    Does the SEQ have a cabin air filter, similar to the Highlander?

Thanks.
    I don't know for sure, but every time I drive through Gary Indiana I can smell the steel mills with the windows up.