Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• pschreckpschreck Posts: 524
    Avocado Green! :)
  • dgutdgut Posts: 12
    Hi, My Sequoia has 115K is in the shop now for Steering angle sensor and YAW rate Sensor. I hope you have had these fixed. When our steering angle sensor failed we lost control of car at 70 MPH on interstate. My advice to anyone who has a sequoia with VSC lights on, DO NOT DRIVE IT! Could be deadly!
  • gollamgollam Posts: 29
    anyone know if toyota is planning on a hybrid drivetrain for the upcoming sequoia? model year 2008?...or is it for the land cruiser?

thanks
  • Dude,
    This is phenominal! Mine is broke and I'm not willing to pay the $400. Thanks for taking the time to write out exactly how to do this. I will but the part and take the time. If you have any other info Let me know. If you live anywhere near chicago let me know also I will pay you to do it!!!!
  • The mileage on my Sequoia is approaching 60,000. I was told the timing belt is replaced at 90,000 miles. But I can't recall reading it in my owner's manual and am reluctant to not to replace the belt, since I've changed the belt at 60,000 on all the Toyotas I've owned in the past.
  • Hey Guys,
    Why no updates recently? There is at least 1 lease question out there since July. I took a crack at it and am working on a lease deal myself currently. Did this stuff move or are you guys just super busy?

Thanks!
    Bob Orr
  • Does anyone know how long the center hub is on the 01 Sequoia? I am looking at some 22" deep lip wheels and need to find out how long the center hub is. I'm also considering rolling on 265 40 22 (any suggestions).
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    It's best to ask in Toyota Sequoia: Lease Questions.

tidester, host
  • Friday my 2001 4WD Sequoia showed a total of five lights that wouldn't go off. Took it to the dealer Saturday, but they were only open for oil changes and told me to turn the engine off and back on to clear the lights. That worked. Today, only four lights came on. Both VSC [off and trac] lights, the Brake, and ABS stayed on; the Slip Indicator Light stayed off. Restarting the engine twice cleared them.

While at the dealer, an advisor noticed I had the truck in 4WD and informed me the ABS did not function in 4WD! This sounds wrong to me.

Anybody got a clue as to what's happening? My brake fluid is full, and the gas cap is tight. My truck has 80,000 miles and has been well taken care of -- no offroading, etc. I have an appointment at the dealer for Wednesday the 11th.

Thanks in advance for any helpful information...
    That is correct. The ABS does not function in 4WD. There is a section in your owner's manual that covers the topic.

I had a 2001 Sequoia that we recently got rid of because the VSC system malfunctioned three times. The system engaged on an interstate at 70 mph making the car shutter, cutting power to the engine and engaging the ABS system. It only stops when the vehicle comes to stop. The other two times it happened we were on city street at slower speeds, but terrifying non the less.

Our problem was diagnosed as a YAW rate sensor and a steering angle sensor. We chose not to repair and traded it into the dealer. We felt we would never feel safe in the vehicle again.

BE CAREFUL!
  • Thanks very much for the reply. Your experience sounds like one my wife and I had with a Ford Taurus years ago. It quit cold on an interstate at night, traffic moving briskly and I was driving in the far left lane of three lanes all going one way! We were rescued in less than two minutes by a State Trooper. Needless to say I was grateful to the angels for us surviving that one. We traded the next day for a new Honda and haven't bought an American car since. Turned out to be a an ignition box mounted too close to an exhaust manifold -- subject of an eventual class action suit.

For something like this to happen with a Toyota is unnerving. Where do you go for quality if not here? My Sequoia is in the shop now for a skid control ECU replacement costing $1800 in parts plus labor. I will have a talk with the Service Manager to gauge the odds of a repeat occurrence and decide my course of action. May also be getting help from Toyota on this one, we'll see.

I will also be getting an extended warranty on any new vehicle I buy. There's too much electronic componentry in new cars to be comfortable with for the long haul.
  • Howdy,

I had a 2003 2wd SR5 with leather, 3rd row, JBL sound, tow package, etc. It had 64000 miles on it when we sold it to CarMax.

I sold it because I was just given a 2007 GMC Yukon SLT (2wd) as my company vehicle. The Sequoia still had payments left on it and it was just going to sit in the garage most of the time so I decided to sell.

I thought I would leave you with a few details and comments comparing these two vehicles.

In my first 3 weeks of owning the Yukon I have noticed a few things that I think Toyota does better.

1. Space: The Sequoia is much more spacious inside. All seating positions plus the storage area is much bigger.

2. Throttle: Tip in on the Sequoia is fast and it gives you the impression of being faster

3. Engine: The Sequoia engine is so so so smooth even when under Wide Open Throtle. The Yukon is not harsh at all just not as smooth.

4. Armrests. The front buckets on the Yukon don't have built in center armrests

5. Window switches: Yukon does not have auto-up on the front windows

6. Power passenger seat: Yukon does not have a power passenger seat and the drivers seat has a manual recline

7. E-glass: the Sequoia's untinted front windows felt like they reflect heat better than the Yukon

8. Cruise control: The factory cruise control that Tyota uses is perfect in my opinion especially placed at the 4 o'clock position

9. 6 cd changer: Yukon's is bloody slow

10. The ride of the Yukon is awesome, and I like it much better than the Sequoia.

11. The HVAC controls on the Yukon are too small and not intuitive. Round dials like in the sequoia are the best for these functions.

12. Rear Glass that rolls into the tailgate on the Sequoia is really nice and much better than the flip up glass.

13. Center console is bigger in the Sequoia

14. Yukon is much quieter

15. Yukon has better fuel efficiency. On identical routes the Sequoia would yield 14.5 and the Yukon 16.5. On the highway the Sequoia would top out at 16.5. The Yukon will give me 19 on the highway.

16. Door handles on the Yukon are nicer and more substantial

17. Leather seats on the Yukon are high quality. So are the Sequoia's but they are slippery.

18. Overall Looks of the Sequoia was more attractive in my opinion.

19. On-Star is awesome! I would whole heartedly reccommend it.

I'm happy with my Yukon and more happy that it is free but the Sequoia is a very competitive vehicle in this segment.
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • kumarkumar Posts: 22
    I own a Toyota SUV, V8 4.7L, and has mileage of 30K. I have routine oil change at 3,750 miles.

The service center tells me that I should pay ~$310 :( , just to flush the engine and fuel system. They will also charge me the other regular 30K services for about $410.

Do I need to do this kind of service? any recommendation?

Thanks!
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Toyota Sequoia
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • 2001 4x4 SR5 here with 81,000 miles, so I'm not really a contender.

The truck has had the brake recall along with muffler, transfer case, and skid control computer replacements. I'm thinking it's probably good for a lot more miles unless some sensor starts acting up. Using full synthetic in engine/trans/differentials.

Anybody got 120k+ on theirs?
    Mine had 110K. I say "had" because I got rid of it when the VSC system activated for no reason on an interstate at 70 mph and could have killed me! It activated again on my way to the dealer. I left it there and traded it in for a new sequoia. I hope this one is better. I had no choice but to get another Toyota. No other dealer would have given me as much in trade or as much off a new vehicle. This problem was reported to Toyota and NHSTA. Toyota said "not our problem" and have not heard from NHSTA (not sure that I got those letters right).
  • I did some looking on different forums including Edmunds and others. What I am getting is that VSC systems are a potential problem on *all* makes and models that have them. Doesn't matter if you have Toyota, Honda, or whatever. Once the vehicle gets some miles and years on it, the systems start acting up. I looked at the Accura MDX until I read the same thing happening to it that happened with your Sequoia. Brakes come on uncommanded! Then I went to look at the Lexus models. More brake issues. I think somebody needs to do a better design job making these things failsafe. It isn't the engine or transmission that is the typical failure mode anymore. And, sadly, there are several more failure modes now.

By the way, before yours malfunctioned on you the first time, did you get any warning with lights a few days earlier, or at the actual onset of the problem?

So, what to do? For now, I'm just ornery enough to keep driving this thing with its new skid control computer, hoping the new part number they put in has some better logic in it.
  • petro33petro33 Posts: 192
    2001 limited with 128,000 miles