Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra General Operational Questions

Comments

• obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    DIC is a plug and play feature. There is a post on here about it. What it entails is buying the DIC, removing what's there and plug in the unit. No programming needed by the dealer. Think the part was something like $100.

It is easy and many have done it especially those with the W/T trucks. I'll post the link if I can find it.

Found it.

DIC upgrade
  • Thanks for the info. That is what I hoped to hear.
    Hey mule maybe you could help hdfatboy over at the Toyota Sequoia forum. Apparently he was told by the Toyota dealer that there is a Daytime Driving Light switch which will disable the DRL located on the stalk with the regular light controls. He says he can't find it but on the Moroney sticker Toyota charges him $40 for that DRL switch. Dealer tells him he has to have it if it's on the sticker but he still can't find it. Those lying Toyota dealers eh?

Back to topic. One wonders why GM cuts costs in the areas they do. The DIC is a $100 and I would think the information it provides is well worth the price. Guess the bean counters at GM think differently.
  • dan136dan136 Posts: 2
    my truck will start on a nice day, but when there is alot of moisture it wont start or if it does it jerks and acts like its starving for fuel. i had a tuneup took it back 2x
    they told me i hadbad wires or cap, i thought they fixed it but ??? i was going to buy a fuel pump, but i don't know if thats the problem..
  • mac53mac53 Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 GMC 4WD with ABS. When coming to a slow stop, the ABS kicks on and stays on until I pump the brakes. It doesn't do this on hard stops. It seems to be especially bad when parking in a parking lot. Anybody else had a problem with this?
  • wdesign1wdesign1 Posts: 2
    The fuel tank capacity of my 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD (diesel) is specified as 26 gallons. When I run to empty (~20 miles indicated on the computer range function) and fill the tank, it only holds 20 gallons.

I assumed a sensor/sender was out of calibration but my dealer says that Chevy designed it to have a six gallon "reserve". I can't believe that they would use almost 25% of your tanks capacity for a reserve that is hardly going to be used.

Should I run my truck 100+ miles past empty and see if my mechanic is telling the truth?
    My search of this forum didn't show any discussion of this. Has anyone else seen this before?
    Thanks, Mike
    This is nothing new. GM has done this since 1999. I have personally noticed this on Dodge, Ford and Toyota trucks all with fuel reserves of approximately 6-7 gallons to idiot proof refueling as some run longer than normal and do run out of gas.
  • efunk_76efunk_76 Posts: 2
    Was question #17 answered? Sorry, new user
  • efunk_76efunk_76 Posts: 2
    My 2000 silverado ignition won't turn when key is put in to start. Is it my security system that has locked i?
    No it wasn't.
    I have that same problem on my '02 Denali. Not sure if its the steering or the security. Moving the steering wheel around eventually gets it started and since its really intermittent haven't done anything about it.
  • Dan it could be the gas your buying, my wife's Cadillac does the same thing, but when she stopped putting the alcohol blend in her tank and went back to regular premium her problems went away. I don't believe the grain fuels are the answer for gasoline, Diesel maybe
  • chuck86chuck86 Posts: 1
    My gas gauge keeps going to 0 then back up to showing proper reading. I saw a forum discussing something about the connector? The truck just turned 100,000 and I've had it since new. It has had a couple occasions when all the dash lights came on at start up and idled poorly with the console lighting fading in and out. Also it hasn't started a couple times, but started after sitting a couple minutes. Repair shop can't find a reason. When I mentioned the gas gauge to the dealer they said they'ld check into it, which sounded kind of strange to me!
  • does anyone know if i can pass the smog test with my check engine light on? it is just on because my fuel sending unit needs replaced so i figure that has nothing to do with smog so it should pass. thank you
  • I purchased a used '05 Silverado 1500 a few months ago and now that winter's here I tried to use the heated seats. I thought they worked when I bought the truck, but apparently not. Does anyone know how or know where to go for information about troubleshooting the heated seats and/or replacing the heating pad in the seats?
    Have you checked the fuse or the switch?
  • Not directly. I don't suspect the switch or the fuse. The seat back heat works and the lower cushion does not. I only found one fuse listing "Heated Seats" so I suspect that all four heaters (2 driver and 2 passenger) are power via the same fuse. The switch appears to be a low voltage system (not direct drive to power the the seat heaters) as this model has three levels of heat. Each time I press the switch the heat level changes (off-high-medium-low-off-high- etc.).

Right now the most likely suspects in my book are the heat controller or the heating pad itself. But I can't quite figure out how to get it all apart. I purchased (ie., wasted my money) the Haynes manual. It has nothing about heated seats in it.
    The power for the heated seats comes directly from the battery via a 30 amp fuse located under the hood. I would agree that this is not the problem and it's either the heat element or connector.

There is an 18 step diagnostic to trouble shoot this problem. If you plan to work on this truck on your own I would suggest buying one of the following manuals:

Helm factory manual

Ebay

http://www.alldatadiy.com

I would recommend either of the first two while alldatadiy has most of the factory info online but not as comprehensive as the first two.