Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra General Operational Questions

I just purchased a 2006 silverado. The manual that came with the truck talks about a driver information center (dic) located on the instrument panel cluster above the steering wheel, the books mentions things like driver preferences, etc. My truck does not have the driver information center buttons but when I crank the truck "driver 1" displays where the digital odometer is and then disappears displaying the odometer. This "driver 1" leads me to beleave that there are some preferences that can be set for different drivers but I have no idea how to do this or is this just not possible without the driver information center buttons.

Comments

• I bought a 2000 GMC Pickup.

The sticker on the door says it was built in 06 2000.

The reason I ask is because a buddy just bought a 2000 Chevy and his sticker in the door said it was built in 08 1999.

What do they use as the cutoff date from year to year.

Thanks
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,496
    By federal law, a manufacturer can manufacture a vehicle one numeric year early but not past Dec 31 of the same year - for example, a 2007-model vehicle can have a date of manufacture from January 2006 to December 2007. (Ford may have found a loophole to this since they began production of the 2008 Super Duty trucks in December of 2006, although they may have waited until January 2007 to complete them, giving them a legal manufacturing date.)

Most manufacturers will produce a model-year vehicle from July to June. Redesigned vehicles are usually the ones that will have more unique ranges in their first year.

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• lionslions Posts: 20
    Ok another question 2002 ext cab z71 with fog lamps my dealer says there sealed. I washed my truck and the fog lamp cover came off i tried to put it back on but i couldn't because the gasket just fell aprt i called my dealer again and said they can't be sealed beams i talked to the parts dept they said there sealed i asked again and they haven't returned my calls. At $93.00 a peice thats a rip off espically when there suppose to be sealed,Why then do they have a cover that can come off?? Thank You Lions
  • stariostario Posts: 3
    Good Morning,

I have a 2007 chev z71 1500 quad cab, classic style truck... whew thats a mouth full. My broke the passanger mirror off, the price to replace it is $900.00 through a dealership. Some car supply store can get replacements parts for 06 for half that cost, would it be the same mirror? I don't think there i any diffrence between the 06-07, i think they were just left over 06's....
  • geo9geo9 Posts: 739
    Do you have the black power heated mirror?

GM does sell just the pieces. I can assume you broke
    the glass and the cover???

Check http://www.rockauto.com
    Even do a search for GM parts and check the discount GM
    wholesale part dealers.

Note the mirror replacement is a EASY DIY job and you
    don't have to remove the door panel. Just the little
    black trim piece above the door panel and remove 3
    bolts and plug in !
    Heres a link to instructions and pics:
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175712
  • guardian03guardian03 Posts: 12
    GM Parts Direct.com sells the camper style mirrors with power adjustments and turn signal for $172 apeice. May want to see if this will fit your needs. $900 seems pretty steep for a mirror. Here's a link to their mirror:

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&partnumber=15904034
  • ducker1ducker1 Posts: 3
    I'm trying to locate the heated seat computer on my 2004 Silverado. can anyone help me locate this. The seats do heat but they shut off after about a minute or two.

Thanks.
  • flysprayflyspray Posts: 15
    Does the Keyflop lock and unlock the lockable tailgate on the new 07 silverado 1500 NBS. I asked the dealer and he said he didnt know. Does anyone have the lockable tailgate... and does the keyflop lock and unlock it

gregC
  • 1offroader1offroader Posts: 208
    If by "keyflop" you mean the electronic gizmo, the answer is 'no', it doesn't unlock the tailgate.

I have the EZLift tailgate. It is a nice feature and is lockable/unlockable with the ignition/door key only.

1offroader
  • flysprayflyspray Posts: 15
    Im sorry to hear that the keyflop doesnt unlock the tailgate. I guess if I want it to work Im going to have to install a aftermarket remote unlock. I would also want it to unlock the bed lid... If I ever find a bed lid for the 07 NBS extended cab with the 8 ft bed. Im just hope I can find a keyflop that will work on both the doors and the aftermarket unlock devices.

gregC
  • chattlax2chattlax2 Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 gmc sierra and I am having trouble getting the key to turn consistently..It usually works when I turn the wheel and it locks into position- but it takes a couple tries to get it to work, I am not sure if there is something mechanically wrong with it or if I'm just not starting it correctly? thanks
  • I have a 2007 Sierra 1500 sle pick-up and I want to know what type of oil I should be running in this truck with the 5.3 iron block motor. The book says 5w30 but should I run synthetic or normal oil?

Also, My on-star tells me I'm do for my first oil change at 8,800 miles. I'm only at 3000 right now. Should I go by that? I've always changed my oil every 3000. Which should I go by?
    Thanks
  • I have an 07 Silverado with 4.8 v-8 and was told at an orientation at my dealership that I should schedule an oil change only after the light/onstar tells me to....I asked about 3,000 mile change and I was told that if I wanted to waste my money they would take it....but again wait for the light/onstar.......as far as full synthetic I was told that it wouldn't be necessary since motor oil technology has been greatly improved....but If I wanted to run it I should wait to at least 5,000 miles to allow the engine to settle and for everything to get seated properly.....just what I was told at my dealership....I hope it is helpful
  • I own a 2007 Sierra Denali with the 6.2L engine. I currently have 2,000 miles on the engine. I plan on changing my oil for the first time at 3K miles with Mobil 1 Extended Performance. I agree with the wasting your money comment about 3K mile changes, but I would be nervous going past 5K miles on conventional oil. I've personally been sold on the Mobil 1 Extended Performance (Full Synthetic)that's guaranteed for 15,000 miles or one year. I change my own oil and I find that it saves me a lot of time and hassle.
  • my '00 rado with 5.3 is at 260,000 miles right now and does not burn oil............have run Mobil 1 since the second oil change.
    may do it on my GMT-900 with 5.3 as well.