Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Windstar Engine Problems

raullyraully Posts: 1
I Have a 2000 Windstar 3.8 6cyl, I recently had a code P0507 which read engine running lean. I replaced the intake gasket along with a few other gaskets, no more code. My question now would be when my engine is idleing it hesitates sort of a misfire, also when I'm driving it feels as if it has a misfire. Does anyone have a clue as to what this may be? Mechanic says plugs are good.

thanks.

Comments

• dabblerzdabblerz Posts: 3
    have a 1997 Ford Windstar that stalls during the morning when I first start up for 5-10 minutes or so. It has a 3.8 L engine. I just had the engine rebuilt and it didn't do this before the rebuild. If I have the radio on there is a click on the radio when it stalls. Sometimes when it stalls, the radio, after a delay, goes out for a 20-60 seconds and then comes back on. The rebuild was initiated when I had a leaky head gasket on the No. 1 cylinder. Now runs really smooth except for the problem. I feel there is some power loss though at times, but am not sure about that. No check engine codes go on. Much better when warms up.
  • eiwalkereiwalker Posts: 1
    Listen to my squeak -- --
    what's causing it?

It's a 98 Windstar with 3.8L motor.

• dechantdechant Posts: 1
    Our 1998 Windstar, 3.8 L motor, blew a head gasket at 150,000 miles. We have a lead on a 1995 Tarus motor, 3.0 L. Is it possible, and advisable, to replace the 3.8 with the 3.0??

Thanks for any information. S. Dechant
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I asked about this once when we were considering getting a rebuilt engine for ours. I was told it would be more expensive to do that than to just put in the 3.8. I think I was told that a lot of other parts would need to be changed to put the 3.0 in.
  • dsariodsario Posts: 1
    did you every get this fixed?
  • It was just a loose wire to the computer. Works fine now.
  • I have a 2003 Ford windstar. It was roughing rough only when it rained. I changed the plugs and wires. It now beagn to idle rough when idleing. I reset the ECU according to the owners manual to no avail. Now it is running rough all the time and feels like it is misfiring. The engine code reads :running lean" in both banks. ANy help, I am thinking obout changing the MAFS. fule filter, and/or fuel pump. but do not want to waste money. Also I did not by the plugs from the Fored dealer as I do not have a fortune to spend on this gargage. Any advice?
  • I know someone who is selling a 95 Ford Windstar. Here is the problem it has 300,000 miles on it and a second tranny on it. What is the engine life on these vehicles?
    I have no idea, but I would certainly think 300K mi is way above average for any engine.
  • 99 just done tune up still has spark knock 87 octane heard mass airflow sensor may be culprit any advice ">
  • One of the cornering lamp bulbs is burned out on my 2001 sel Windstar and is there an easy way to replace the bulb ?
    Thanks.....Dave.
  • I've recently purchased a 2001 SE Sport with 46,000 miles. I had the dealer put new tires on it. Took it back to have them re-balance to try and eliminate a vibration that happens ~70 mph. They performed a pressure balance, which replicates the tires being on the vehicle. Vibration still there. Now I'm thinking it's in the transmission (Torque Converter). Anyone have this same experience?
  • Did you get this resolved..I have a 96 doing the same thing....
  • jeff68jeff68 Posts: 5
    I solved the problem by taking off the upper intake manifold and cleaning the EGR ports. 130,000+ miles seems to be the magic number when the ports clog.

I found that this site has good pictures on it.

http://community.webshots.com/album/201931518cScpNK

Like others on the net, this is not too bad a job for do it yourself. 4-5 hours. $5 can of intake cleaner, some rags and a bent paper clip to open the ports. Don't know why mechanics want $500 to do it. :shades:
  • I have a 1995 3.8 winstar. When I started it at work the check engine light came on. The idle seems off or miss fires. However, the engine temp stayed normal. I understand there are three sensors that can effect the idle, and can cause the check engine light to come on. Does any know what the three sensors are? help....
  • I purchase a 1998 Windstar, in Aug 98, while stationed in Germany and now after 144,000 the engine whent caput. My family and I were spending the weekend with my son when this mishap took place. It was towed to the nearest, which happens to be the biggest, Ford dealer in the area. The floor supervisor called me to informed me that after attempting to get it running they realized the engine was gone. To me, it sounds like a push rod broke off in two and it's bouncing all over the place. He inmediately told me that the engine had to be replaced, because of the possible damage the loose part could've created and also the head gasket was blownand stated that he has seen to many to know that the engine is gone. I called my son and asked him to look in the parking lot for oil stains, which were none. I called the tow truck gentleman and he also stated that there was no oil leak. Now, I'm between the rock and the hard place. The dealer is asking for $5,000 for the engine swap and refuse to take the engine apart to see what the extend of the damage really is. Any suggestions, comments, ideas??????? My wife loves the van and in between little things is has been good to us. Up until the day it broke down, it ran like when it was brand new. Please Advice, Help. Thanks!
    I sure would not put anything close to $5000 into a 10 year old windstar with 144K mi.

I'd either scrap it and buy another vehicle or put a used engine in it...you could surely buy a newer and lower mileage windstar for way under $5000. You could also consider a rebuilt engine, but that would also likely cost more than the van is worth...but not by as much as a $5000 new engine.
  • I was thinking about selling it to a junk yard, but the only person I found will only offered $200. I told him that the van had 4 brand new tires worth over $400. He wouldn't pay over 200.00.

Thanks for the advise!
  • gas is squirting out of the fuel pres.reg. on the fuel rail (fuel injection), is there a way to replace the FPR, or do I have to replace the whole rail.

teneubec
    Maybe he'd give you the $200 and let you keep the tires???

It might be worth close to that $200 as scrap metal.