Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe

Comments

• Petros22, Is there a way you can out which connector was loose? I have pulled the dash switch to check it awhile back, and found no loose connection there. I'm just wondering were else it could be. Most of us with this problem did not have it in the beginning, but like mine it started a couple of months later.
    Dave...
  • sorry fogot "FIND" oops
  • FORGOT, its been a long day.....
  • Norcal 2001

I posted a message last week about a recent trip to Florida in which I consumed 2 quarts of oil in 1100 miles. On the return trip I drove more conservatively (less than 65 mph) and consumed a little over 1 quart in the same 1100 miles. I have a 2000 Suburban 4x4, 5.3L with 4.10 rear with 10,500 miles and was towing a heavy travel trailer. I received a response to my post indicating that there have been problems with high oil consumption on the 5.3L engines due to a problem with the PCV valve.

I first suspected an oil consumption problem several months ago when I noticed I was down about 1/2 quart after a 320 mile trip (also towing). After that trip, I monitored oil consumption carefully and convinced myself that I didn't have a problem, since I was observing a consumption of roughly 1 quart every 4000 non-towing miles (extrapolated). I let my guard down and didn't check the oil level during the two day trip to Florida. Shortly after arriving I checked my oil and was shocked to find no oil on the dipstick.

I am scheduling a service appointment to have this checked out and will post the results. From the response to my earlier post, it sounds like this is a fairly common problem with the 5.3L's. Hopefully, it's as simple as replacing a PCV valve.

Rick
  • I recently had my order accepted for a 2001 3/4 ton Suburban LT 4x4 with 8.1L and 4.10 rear. I would like to be ready to install mud flaps all around as soon as I pick it up in early February. I am sure that this topic has been covered many times, so I apologize for asking for recommendations. Can mud flaps be installed on the front, or will they interfere with the Chevy running boards? Are mud flaps an available Chevy accessory or is there a better aftermarket option? Is this information available on C. Martin's web site? If so, please provide his web address. Any help would be appreciated.
  • don434don434 Posts: 43
    With the ignition switch in the START or RUN position the analog device known as the oil gauge
    is operative. The input is directly from the oil pressure sensor circuit.
    A 1 ohm sensor resistance will display as 0 PSI.
    At 88 ohms the gauge will read 80 PSI.

I guess that means that at 12 ohms you will have about 11 PSI. The service manual states that this is only an approximate reading of pressure.
    Don.
  • I have a question about the key fob. When you get out of the car and lock it the doors look, and then hit lock again and the horn blows. What I was wondering was are the headlights supposed to flash when you lock it, and how many times is the horn supposed to blow. Is what I have described the way all of yours work?
  • Mine is currently being replaced. The tech tells me that the new ones are full of grease, eliminating the clunking noise on hard turns.
  • It looks like Edmunds did it again and this time when they changed the software, 24 hours of messages are now missing.
  • And the "bookmarks" function is also missing....
    New and improved as they say.....
    Kevin
  • rj2krj2k Posts: 2
    Wow, we were inconvenienced before by Edmund's changes to our BB, but when they came back on line it was still a good site. Are they such imbeciles that they think this time is an improvement? Let's all contact Edmund's and let them know how much we like their recent improvements.
  • DAVE...it looks like my post got deleted with this new revision to Town Hall. Oh well...anyway...my info has changed. THE FOG LIGHT/WIPER PROBLEM IS NOT FIXED!!! What can I say? @#%&! I'm really getting tired of this. I think I got a lemon. Last time I buy a vehicle in a termite infested crate! ;)
  • Not good. It demands that I log in and then when I do it says "no need to log in you're already logged in". Go to a different topic, repeat steps 1-3 again. It keeps starting me at the front of the topic; the old software put me back in where I left off the previous session. No way to go backward through the posts. No way to go directly to a post by entering its number. I read what Meredith said about the old software being unsupported/unsupportable, but is the way we have to go?
  • I was wrong. You can go back 20 posts at a time, but not directly to a numbered post. And you still have to keep logging in over and over despite having auto login enabled.
  • I too must say that I dislike the changes Edmunds has made. It would have been nice if the Edmunds host, Meridith, had posted a message on the board prior to the changeover, warning that messages would be lost. Now all those people who just learned how to post pictures, get to do it over again.

My complaint is that my many browse bookmarks and favorites are now useless, as the addresses have changed.

As a reminder, I want all to know that the GMSUV forum is still going strong at http://www.delphi.com/gmsuv That forum site offers threaded messages, polls, on-line chats, and multiple message sections. Everyone is welcome to visit that alternate forum and use it if Edmunds fails to listen to our complaints about their changes.
  • On Friday I spent most of the day with the charter members of the ID 10 T club at the GMC dealers for 4 warranty problems. Out of 4 problems, they only successfully completed two of them.

Problem #1: Fog Lamps/Rear Wiper Problem: Even though I had information of a case number for my vehicle with the GM Technical Assistance center, the GMC dealer refused to call them to get help on the problem. They first tried to give the Yukon back to me saying they couldn't duplicate the problem. I then made the mechanic stand behind the Yukon while I turned on and off the fog lamps, so he could see the rear wiper jump. The Yukon didn't want to cooperate too well and only did it twice in about 25 attempts.

The mechanic tighened the star washer, which is connected at a mounting point under the front radiator. He said it was 1/2 turn loose and it is a point where a lot of ground wires come together to mount to the chasis ground. This seemed to fix the problem while the Yukon was at the dealer, but while driving home the problem came back and happened on about 5 of 20 attempts.

Petros22, I agree with you that this is a fustrating problem and I guess I will have to try another dealer.

Problem #2: Recall notice about wheelhouse plugs: They checked and it does not apply to my vehicle.

Problem #3: Sag in acceleration and hesitation: The GM Calibration site showed a programming update for this problems. Gave dealer the printout from the internet site showing information. Dealer said their computer showed a different part number, but they did load new software into the Yukon. Seems a little better, but only time and driving will tell.

Problem #4: Body Side molding coming loose on passenger front door: Dealer ordered new part and will paint to match before calling me to install. They said current piece is deformed and won't stick well.

The more visits I make to service departments, the more I think GM needs to improve their training on new products.
  • cwaynecwayne Posts: 78
    MY NEW YUKON 2001 2WD 5.3 HAS A SLIGHT VIBRATION OF THE STEERING WHEEL WHEN STOPPED
    AT RED LIGHTS. IT DOES THIS WITH AUTO AIR ON OR OFF. ANYONE ELSE WITH THIS PROBLEM?

CWAYNE
  • I sent a note to the Edmunds folks regarding the New and Improved' Town hall format......
    Basically, they said to deal with it.
    See below for the response.....

Dear Kevin,

There has been a notice on the Town Hall front page for the past week (and it was there for 2 weeks in November) alerting Town Hall members to the fact that Place marks and History would not be transferred over to the new boards. This was also discussed in the "Talk to the Hosts" topic in the News & Views conference. While we are sorry that you have lost your place marks, the notice was given to Town Hall members for a total of 3 weeks. There will be no such functionality in the new boards for the time being.

Our apologies for any frustration and confusion.

Karen
    Karen@edmunds.com
    Town Hall Support

Well.....
    I suggest it's time that we all let the folks at Edmunds know how much we appreciated their format....
    You can e-mail
    Karen@edmunds.com or
    townhall@edmunds.com
    with your thoughts.

Happy e-mailing

(and Clifford does have his site going as well if we need an alternative...)

Kevin
    Oh- PS- The new spell check sucks toooooooooo