Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe

Comments

• Your dealer should not have to order any parts to do the service Bulletin fix. It does list alot of parts but they are all standard electrical connectors that you can get in Radio shack or home depot, the dealer should stock these parts for any kind of elec repair. Its not really hard at all to do, I did it in about an hour.
    Dave
  • I ordered the override switch today...its actually something that I would have wanted if I had known it was out there.

Will update everyone after I receive it and install it.
  • The other vehicle was a smaller chevy SUV - not sure if it was a bronco? It didn't fare as well.
  • Thanks for the info - While it's in the body shop, I can have then check on it.
  • Thanks for your concern - No, she wasn't badly hurt thanks to the Yukon. It really held up well in the accident.
  • mddropmddrop Posts: 2
    I currently own a 2001 Tahoe LT that has been no less than perfect. Thinking of purchasing 2003 model for my wife. Looking at MSRP of about $39,000. What kind of final purchase prices has everyone been negotiating. Have not started the dreaded dealer to dealer price squabbling, but is it realistic to expect prices closer to $31,000 - $32,000 down from the original $39,000 MSRP.
    Thanks for any feedback!
  • poswaldposwald Posts: 38
    I have an 01 Tahoe LT. Has anyone replaced their foglight bulbs with HID style bulbs? If so what kind and where did you get them? I am having a hard time finding 880 bulbs. PIAA does not make them. Also, 893 bulbs are a little easier to find and fit in the 880 spot but are 37.5 Watt versus 27 Watt. Do you think that this cause any problems with factory foglight circuit or wiring? Thanks.
  • ianshawianshaw Posts: 119
    Yikes - my 02 LT Tahoe with the 5.3l has suddenly taken a turn for the worse. It has approx. 5000 miles on it. For the first 3500 miles or so I was getting mpg ratings between 16-18 mpg. However, the last three times I have checked, I have been in the 13.5 mpg range! One time, I believe it was 12.5 mpg. All of the miles on these checks were interstate driving at approximately 80mph. Although I drive relatively fast, I never rod it up hills and tend to accelerate slowly. However, two of the three checks were done after using only about 1/2 of the gas in the tank and I have placed a ski carrier (an enclosed box that is very aerodynamic from front to back) on the cargo rack.

Does anyone have any suggestions for why this might be happening? Could the ski box be making that much difference? Any suggestions on mechanical defects that might be causing the problem?

mddrop - I purchased an 02 LS Tahoe about 1 year ago with an MSRP of approx. 38,500. The dealer sold it to me for $31,000 (which according to Edmunds.com, is a little under invoice cost.) I paid about $400 over invoice for the 02 LT Tahoe that I currently own (which I agreed to only because they gave me an insanely good trade in value for my LS Tahoe).
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,233
    at 80mph can have some serious drag, even the aero boxes.

I've formerly raced cars (from factory porshe 914's to SCCA cars) and personally you won't catch any of my SUV's/Trucks just clogging along at those speeds for any great distance. Run of the mill cars don't give me much confidence at those speeds either. When it comes to stability/control you don't really want to learn the hard way what the limits of your vehicle are.
  • Well, we just bought a '03 Yukon SLT last month with a MSRP of $54k. Paid $38k ... supposedly $500 over invoice ... yeah, whose invoice? A relative who retired from GM told me a long time ago, that there are at least three prices on a vehicle. There is MSRP (which no one pays unless you just fell off the turnip truck); Invoice (which is what the dealer will usually and is often eager to show you); the bottom line cost to the dealer (which the buyer never sees or can access). I think buying a car is a crap shoot at best. Too bad it can't be like buying a shirt. I think it is the element of deception and sale commissions which make it stressful and a turn off to most folks. Too many variables open to negotiation.
  • Regarding Ian Shaw's post on fuel mileage, my rocket box costs me about 2 mpg, so I took it off, and install it when needed. Also, cold weather lowers my mileage on the 02 hoe, as well as my previous 92 burb. I'd say the drop was 10-20% from cold weather, they just seem to like hot weather more. Of course, if you're living in San Diego, that flies out the window, but I've noticed it trending downward, and Colo hasn't even been that cold yet. Oxy fuels supposedly cost a little too, if you have winter blended fuel with MTBE or Ethanol.
  • mfullmermfullmer Posts: 819
    I'll assume that was a typo and the MSRP was not actually $54k. Even a fully optioned Denali is only $53k.

I just picked up (last week) a Tahoe LT with every option, including AutoRide and Stabilitrak. MSRP: $45,030.00. Dealer Invoice (inlcuding Advertising (which interestingly enough Edmunds doesn't include) and the actual prices of options, etc that were a bit off from Edmunds & KBB have posted.): $40,307.00. Agreed on Price: $40,507.00.

There were several factors that went into my $300 over invoice price:

1. The vehicle was made in December so the dealer still had 2 months of Holdback left.

2. Since the vehicle has every option and is RedFire Metallic it is a bit harder to sell.

3. I worked from the internet and am a long time GM Lessee. I was literally in the Dealership for 35 minutes.
  • I beg your pardon. Actually, I just wanted to see if you were paying attention :) Those numbers were transposed. That should have been $45k with a "Dealer Markup" of $7k for a total sticker price of $52k.

I have never understood why they list "advertising fees". What other product(s) do you buy where they tack on an ad fee? Maybe they should list their monthly utility bills as well. I am sure all that is figured into their profit margin anyway.
  • dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    check your tire pressure if you have not. I had a big drop about the same milage. Turned out the Quick Oil Change lowered the pressure to 28. The door sticker says 35. Mine went from mid 13's back to near 15.
    Boy your dealer must be a little crazy in the head!

About advertising fees, the dealer doesn't list them on the invoice, they are part of the actual invoice from the manufacturer to the dealer. This is a fee that the Manufacturer charges, per vehicle, for Nation/Region-wide advertising. And it is a legitimate "invoice expense" and should be part of it. Now, as far as the DEALER trying to charge for advertising. This is something that should definitely be negotiated. Many dealers try to tack on their own advertising fees, although it is on the deal, not the invoice.

Thats why Edmunds and all of the other sites SHOULD list the Manufacturer advertising in their invoice prices. It is one of the things that dealers, legitimately, gripe about when it comes to the internet educated shopper. We go in there with out print out from xxx.com and say "Ok, here's your invoice price, I'll pay $300 over this". All it takes is one look at the actual invoice to see that, not only are these numbers incomplete, but many times they are also flat-out wrong. It's equally embarrassing for the consumer and probably leads to a lot of bad deals as then they get really confused.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    Rpo site
    http://www.gm-trucks.com/RPO_index.shtml

As for the fog light bulbs i went with the 893s. They are brighter. The next size up from these will melt the housing and many have found this out. So far i have had 0 problems and have had them since sept in my 00 Silverado
  • I wondered why the dealer markup was so high too. No one in his right mind would pay that. It is as if they want to discourage window shoppers.

Thank you for the insight on advertising fees. Again, I don't know of any other product which list ad fees or any other production costs separately. Seems odd to me and just adds to the confusion or complexity of the deal.

In hindsight, I guess I got a fair deal. I just can't seem to shake that shafted feeling.
    here is a pic of the 893s (38 watt forlight bulbs)

Cant really tell a difference cause it is light out but they are brighter. Also the headlights are the silverstar bulbs which are much whiter and clearer. They were pricey ($20 ea plus a $10 rebate but well worth it)

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,611
    Ouch Ryan, got a smaller size pic than that? Our dialup members will be yelling at you! Thx!

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Almost half a Meg for one page is a bit excessive!

tidester, host
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Plus the fact that you can't see any appreciable difference during daylight kind of makes the pic a true waste of bandwidth......
    whats dialup? Sorry guys I took the pic on quality #2 which makes it larger.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    You remember the days before you got cable? Yep, that's dialup where you use the phone line, modem, and omg, AOL....LMAO!!
    Hey, with the height of a Tahoe do you get people flashing their lights at you [thinking you have your brights on]? I have the HIDs in my STS and, even as low as that car, idiots are always flashing their lights at me.

DUH!
    I have a really bad rattle up my sunroof area. I'm hoping they find the same thing that was wrong with STS and there is just a loose bolt up there. Riding around these wonderful, pot-hole riddled, Atlanta roads drives me crazy!!!!!!
    Only have got it once and once i hit the high beams, lows, and fogs the guy turned his off :)
    Yea, I always do that in the STS just so they know I don't have them on. If they knew anything about cars they would know that Fog/Driving lights CAN'T be on at the same time as the high beams.

Again, DUH
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    that is. Many of the folks in the Avalanche Club have modified their lights so they can run all of 'em all the time if they so choose. 'specially the DRL's.
  • Anyone had any problems with front wheel bearings on 2WD Yukon XL's? I've got a 2001 Yukon XL with 50K miles and the right front wheel bearing disintegrated with no warning. Local dealers cannot get a replacement bearing assembly nor can after-market parts stores get the bearing. I have called the GMC Customer Assistance line and was told that there are no bearing assemblies available, but they are in production. However, they cannot give an estimate of when I could get a bearing. Who ever heard of company building a truck, but not having parts available 2 + years after the manufactured date?
  • zinomzinom Posts: 2
    I am looking for info/websites on quality after- market items such front grills/floor mats/DVD players/etc. Also, I would like to know about service/repair manuals that might be available. Thanks.