Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe

Comments

• lobsenzalobsenza Posts: 619
    I purchased at Champion on 183 at the end of 2000 and have been very happy....
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    but I bought an Avalanche at Champion Chevrolet in Feb. Bought from Mark Cheatham, the Internet Sales Mgr. Other than the usual too-long wait to get through (or get INTO) the F&I office all went well and is well. Haven't used the Service Dept. yet.
  • lobsenzalobsenza Posts: 619
    Overall, I am pleased with the service department.....
  • ianshawianshaw Posts: 119
    I went out in the huge snow storm we had in the Rocky Mountains over the weekend. Our city closed all the streets except for medical and emergency personnel. I had to get employees from a nursing home to and from work. It is the first time I have had my Tahoe out in deep snow with huge drifts.

I was extremely impressed with the Auto 4wd on my Tahoe. I assumed that it would be inferior to 4-hi. But, there appeared to be no difference in the performance. I felt no lag whatsoever between the time the back wheels started to slip and the time the 4wd kicked in. I blew through some enormous drifts that were 30-40 feet wide.

On the other hand, I have a question about my 4-hi and 4-low. I got stuck twice this weekend when I was in 4-hi or 4-low. Both times, the truck got high-centered in huge drifts and my tires would just spin. HOWEVER, both times, one of my back wheels would not spin? I have the locking rear differential! I assume that, with the locking rear diff. and in 4-hi or 4-low, three of the four tires should be spinning? Both back tires should spin because of the locking rear-diff and one front tire should spin because of the 4-hi or 4-low. Both times, there was low-traction - so there is no chance that one of the tires was bound-up and not able to spin. Also, my truck is a 02 Tahoe LT - so I do not have the new Stabilitrac (or whatever they call it.)

Can anyone give me any insight into why both back wheels would not spin? Any chance my 4wd system is not working properly?

Thanks!
  • yukon97yukon97 Posts: 30
    If you have option G80 this is the Eaton Locking rear diff. You are correct in stating that when one rear wheel spins the opposite should lock in. You should be able to feel the 'thud' when they lock up and both tire should be forced to spin at the same speed.
  • jeff331jeff331 Posts: 21
    I'm in Fort Collins, and had the samee fun of getting around on the back roads yesterday. With the G80 locking diff, you actually have to get the free spinning back tire up to a certain rpm before the mechanics of the diff lock in. There should be little doubt when it locks up. You should hear the spinning of the tire, and then a 'thud' or 'clunk' from the back end, as the two halves of the diff lock together. It is a little counter- intuitive in the snow, as you want to lift off of the throttle a little when the tires start to spin and bury themselves. Just give it a little more gas, and it should lock. It was very useful yesterday.
    Try http://www.traction.eaton.com/prod2.htm for more information on the G80
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,233
    The only place where I felt a difference between 4hi and auto is on turns. In auto, if you give it a bit of gas you can spin the rear around before the front has a chance to grab and pull you straight. In 4hi this won't happen. Of course if you drive carefully like you should in slippery conditions (RE: slowly) you won't feel much of a difference. I prefer just going to 4hi when the roads are completely covered though. I stopped on a very steep hill to test it out and it was very seemless. Didn't take much pedal to get the rear wheels locked-up either. It's obvious when they lock up when you're in 2wd because the vehicle will start drifting to the side.
  • dfwk2500dfwk2500 Posts: 68
    We purchased our '01 YXL (2500 4x4) from Champion in Austin. Everything went fine. When we ordered our truck in October 2000, no one in the Dallas area was working any deals on a special order 2500. Andy gave us the heads up on Champion in Austin doing very good deals on special orders. He was right, there were no hassles and at the time we got what was a very good deal. Everything was handled by telephone. When the truck arrived we drove down from Dallas and picked it up. They treated us very well (especially considering they knew they would likely never see us again for service). Their extended warranty price matched the best we could get off the internet. They had no objection to accepting the eloan check we had to pay for the truck and they even checked the alignment since we would immediately be taking the truck on a 100 mile drive. The only problem we had was they were a little late in mailing our license plates to us.
  • poc424poc424 Posts: 2
    five0_4tluv
    I've purchased two z71 tahoe's from capital chevrolet off south IH-35. i purchsed one back in 2001 and then traded that one in this past dec for a 2003. So far i've been pleased with the service they gave me at the time of purchase, and the service they continue to offer. Plus they offered me the best price i could find and gave me more on my trade in than any dealer in austin or houston would offer me.
  • Here's a question, the rear locking differential isnt availalbe if the StabiliTrak is purchased. Not being much of an off-roader, what is the general thought on which option to get?
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    Disclaimer: I own an 03 Expedition, not a Yukon.

I was looking at the Yukon with Stabilitrac and my Expedition with AdvanceTrac as Ford calls it. The stability control system on my vehicle is darn impressive. I am very glad we got it. On the Ford at least, when you get the stability control system you can only get the open diff's. But you also get a traction control system that can apply power left to right, thus mimicking a LSD. If you don't venture off road much, my opinion would be to get the Stabilitrac. I don't think you'll miss the locking diff.
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    2004 Tahoe:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?M1C453EE3

2004 Yukon:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?A1D452EE3

Several changes, including wheels and colors, and now the DVD player & sunroof can be ordered together.
    Beach15 - Thanks for the info. on the new Tahoe. I was under the impression that there were going to be major exterior changes in 2004 - I am personally glad they have kept it the same. I don't think I could stomach a Tahoe that has the same front end as the new (03) Chevy pickups.

I was interested to see that the 04 Tahoe will come standard with the 16" wheel that was standard on the LT pickups up until the 03 model year. That wheel was discontinued on the pickups and replaced by a similar wheel that does not have the two raised-ribs that give the appearance of connecting the spoke with the outer rim.

I think I would have preferred that Chevy not put a wheel on their new Tahoe that is old news to every 99-2002 Chevy pickup owner. On the other hand, I think these new wheels will look better than the old ones. (I recently replaced by Tahoe wheels with the new-style 03 pickup rims - and I like the way it looks.)
    front end to show up on Tahoe and Suburban this year.
    FYI, I'll soon be taking off my 16", '03 Avalanche wheels if anybody would like them for their Tahoe or Yukon. e-mail me.
    FYI - if your Avalanche is an 03'- I think it has 17" wheels - not 16" wheels. I'm not absolutely sure - but you might want to check!
    No, it only has 17" wheels if it has the Z66 or Z71 package...otherwise 16" wheels with Firestone tires are standard, and too small IMO. We have a 2002 Z66 and the 17" wheels with OWL Goodyears look quite good and ride like silk.
    Very interesting - what do the 16" wheels look like. Are they just like the Tahoe wheels? I really like the wheels that I see on many new Avalanches (5 spoke with a dimple at the end of the spoke) and I would like to put a set on my Tahoe-if they are 16" wheels. However, I have always thought that they are 17" wheels.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,233
    Anyone here have an aftermarket DVD system in their Tahoe/Yukon?
  • 03tahoe03tahoe Posts: 83
    Have a Lion`s club friend who has always waited for the Service Manuals release before he purchases a vehicle. He asked me yesterday if anyone on the net has heard when GM will release the manuals to HELM.
    I don`t think anyone can answer this question but told him that I will ask on-line. Seems to me that it may well be mid to late April.

His questions then became:
    What is the latest date that he can order a 2003 Suburban or Tahoe?
    What is the earliest date that he could order two 2004 Suburbans or Tahoe`s. His required delivery date would be August 5 th, 2003.
    Two of his son`s have annaversery dates in Late August.
    2002 Avalanche's with the 16" wheels have the same wheels as just about every 2000-2003 Tahoe & Suburban. 2003 Avalanche's with the 16" wheels have the same wheels that are on most Silverados. The wheels you're talking about are the 17" ones, as that's what we have on ours--and they do look very nice. But, they are 17"...
  • fortopfortop Posts: 239
    service manuals to Helm, but I doubt that it will be before the new 04 models get to the showrooms. "Model changeover" is usually in mid July, so back up 6 months from that and sometime in May would be the last 2003 order opportunity (maybe even earlier). GM will get some 2004 models out to the dealers in early August, but if you order a 2004 you probably won't get delivery until the end of August. August 5th would not be very likely for a 2004 special order, but it might happen in a large market. Obviously, your local Chevy dealer could give you the best guess on delivery.
    they are indeed 16". I think they look just like the 17's.
  • chile96chile96 Posts: 330
    Is there any truth to the rumor that GMC's have an extra "stage" of craftmanship over Chevy's and thus they are worth a little more?

Thanks, just wanna be an informed consumer!
  • fievelfievel Posts: 16
    I am wondering if anyone here has thought about the oil they are using. In my previous GM truck, a 1988, I used 10W-30 oil as recommended by the factory. I have just purchased a 2003 Yukon SLT 5.3 and the recommendation is now 5W-30. The service department says that the lower viscosity is because of the emission equipment. My gut feeling is that I should stay with 10W-30 as I live where it rarely gets below 28-degrees in the winter at night, and many people, including the salesman who sold me the car said that I should stay with 10W-30 and perhaps even use 10W-40 here in this mild climate. Any thoughts on this?
    Oh...in an answer to the above post about the difference between GMC and Chevy...It truly is in name only. I knew someone who worked for GM a few years ago and he said that these trucks are built on the same assembly line with no difference to assembly technique.

Bill
    2003 Yukon SLT
  • davids1davids1 Posts: 411
    Use the engine oil recommended in you owners manual!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you think the salesman will remember telling you to use 10w-40 if you need to ask GM for a replacement engine? Nope!

Lower viscosity oils flow better. The time your engine sees the most wear is at startup. You want the oil to get to all parts of the engine quickly.
    Not to my knowledge. I've owned both and I never saw it.
    I have heard from a number of sources that there is no mechanical difference between a GMC and a Chevy. However, in the past, there has been some significant differences that you should consider. For example, the seats fabric is sewn differently between the two. I haven't looked at the 03's very closely, but the 02 GMC had much better sewn fabric than did the 02 Chevy (particularly on the bottom cushion). Also, I strongly preferred the stretched leather on the GMC in 02 compared with the pleated leather on the 02 Chevy (the Chevy leather looks old within 6 months because each of the pleats just fold up and crease.) Of course, I think Chevy went to a stretched leather on their 03 units. Also, take a good look at the exteriors of the two vehicles. The GMC has a different hood, lights and grill. The GMC, at least in 2002, also had an extra piece of trim behind the back wheels.

OIL - I would use what the manufacturer suggests. I was having an oil consumption problem on my first 02 Tahoe. When they found out that I had used 10w-30 (because that was all I had and I was 300 miles from home and discovered that there was NO oil showing on the dip-stick) they gave me a hard time and indicated that it might void the warranty. Got to love Chevrolet!!
    Has anyone had any experience with the warranty for alignment on your Tahoe? I had an alignment adjustment at approximately 3000 miles. When I got it back, it didn't feel right -but I thought I would wait to have the dealer check it until I went in for my next oil change.

I went in yesterday for my oil change and asked the dealer to check the alignment again. He refused, telling me that the warranty only goes to 6,000 miles (I have right at 7000 miles).

I very clearly recall the service manager telling me that the alignment warranty lasts until 7500 miles. I also called another dealership who told me that they will do alignment work under warranty until 7500 miles.

Does anyone know GM's official warranty on alignment?

Thanks!
    that for whatever reason there is a big difference from Dealer to Dealer on that issue. I've had a Dealer tell me 7,500 and another tell me 11,000. Bottom line, you have to have it done early, and take it back right away if "it doesn't feel right".