Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe

Comments

• jaw2000jaw2000 Posts: 133
    It was coming from the left (small) compartment of the glove box where I keep a couple small hand tools take a look, maybe you'll get lucky too.
  • I have had my 97 tahoe.. for 20 months and have logged all most 23,000 miles and have not added a drop.. I check it often.. but have never needed a drop... My guess some dip stick tech forgot to add the oil after he got back from break...
    It's the dealers fault...
  • I just put new brakes on my 97 LT w/ 61,000 miles .. I heard from someone at work that I need to take it to the dealer and have them reset the computer .. to let it know that the brakes are new?? Is this a lot of fluff or truth....
    Also when I go around a corner or turn at a stop.. I hear is little rattle as I turn.. Alignment shop can't find it??? what might it be ??
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Posts: 872
    No you don't have to have the computer reset. If you have 4 wheel drive the rattle might be the CV shafts for the front drive wheels. It could also be the intermediate shaft on the steering column.
  • dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    Had a driver's door rattle and window buzz. Turned out to be a broken window regulator mount which caused the door rattle and a mis-aligned window which caused the window to buzz. While I would have preferred no problem, I was happy it took one visit and 4 hours to get a fix. The window problem aside, my Tahoe remains quiet.
  • dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    my milage seems to be going down with each new tank. I've owned the car since February and kept records with each fill-up. I started out getting right at 15 (all numbers are city driving). It moved into the 14's by and by and now at my last visit to the gas station I got slightly under 13mpg. I've assumed it's the difference between no AC driving and all AC driving. I know it's a mind game. I'm driving a 2 ton vehicle. Nevertheless, I keep hearing how the mpg will get better as the engine breaks in. LOL.....I'm old enough to remember when 13mpg was a respectable number highway milage for a great big American car. Any thoughts?
  • fortopfortop Posts: 239
    My experience is that A/C on all the time takes about 2 mpg. away from you. So, if you were getting 15 mpg and now get 13 mpg, I would attribute that drop to A/C. I don't use A/C on the way to work in the morning - I just roll the windows down - low tech, but effective cooling at 5:30 - 6:00 am in the morning even in the AZ desert at 70-80 dry degrees. I usually don't use A/C on the way home, since I only drive about 15- 20 minutes and roll the back windows down. If I start to perspire - I roll up the windows and turn on the A/C (stuck in traffic will do it).
    Accelerating quickly to merge into traffic several times will take .5 to 1 mpg away from me on a tankful. Actually driving the speed limit (using cruise set at the speed limit even in town), accelerating slowly from stops, anticipating light changes ahead and coasting(rather than speeding) to the next stop light is the real gas saving driving method - but few people have the patience to drive this way. Identical vehicles can have different gas mileage, due to the engine/drive train variability
    on the production line. 13 mpg/15 mpg = 13.3% less mileage X about 24 gallons on a fillup = 3.2 gallons X about $1.35 per gallon = about $4.32 per fillup penalty for your current driving style.
    The best I got on my Yukon 5.3/3.73 2WD was about 17.5 city - driving grandma style as described above, but your mental health may be worth $4.32 per fillup. Unless you need the 10 extra horsepower and extra torque for towing, I would recommend the 4.8/3.42 on your next purchase.
  • xyz71xyz71 Posts: 179
    I record the miles and engine hours at each fill up - I can see a correlation between average MPH and MPG.

If the average speed is 25-26 MPH then I get a little over 15 MPG, when average speed drops down to 20 the MPG drops to about 13 MPG, lowest I can recall is a tank with Average speed of 15 MPH this took my MPG down to 10 MPG. The best was a pure highway tank - average speed over 60 MPH - MPG just over 19.
  • ....but it's not the white LT I originally went to purchase...instead, the dealer got fresh off the truck a green and a black '03 Z-71..I couldn't believe it! I had the LT deal worked at invoice with a $1,000 rebate and 5.9% financing. The Z71 cost me the same money but had a sunroof that the LT didn't have but didn't have the third row option or XM radio. I got it for $500 over invoice and 6.5% for a full 72 months. Overall, the '03 Z-71's have most of the LT features including the same heated seats but the styling is much improved if you like the stiffer suspension and the larger wheels. Also, I'm going with the Kenwood 911DVD system with Sirius satellite instead of XM - do your own reseach and I think you will lean slightly towards Sirius...a bit more money but no advertising. When I see the Z-71 next to a standard Tahoe, for me, I substantially made the right choice. And at resell time, I should get the $500 back and more. ;-)

I highly recommend the '03 over the '02...a lot of small improvements but when you add them up, it's a big difference.
  • Maybe it's the architecture of the Tahoe but I'm not tempted to drive quickly. However, I do find my route to work (5 miles) requires I kick the gas to get up to speed when pulling onto this crazy 6 lane street where the limit is 45 and everyone seems to be going 55.
    Somewhere I read AC used in summer is somewhat offset because the summer blends for fuel are more efficient. For most of the summer I've been getting just under 14 which would be more like a 1mpg AC penalty. My to-date average fuel use since February is 14.62mpg counting two 600 road trips. I have a little over 7k miles on the odometer.
    As I said it's mostly a mind game. My dad taught me in the 60's to measure a car by the power and the milage. He had a 68 El Camino with the 457 4barrel (I think). That thing would flat move but he did well to get 8-9mpg. So what am I bitching about....lol. He didn't get 14mpg on the road.
  • My friend has a 99 LS with 34,000 miles .. is it weirds to have to have the injectors cleaned this early.. I have a 97 with 61,000 and haven't had a bit of trouble... did she get soaked by the dealer.. she says it runs worse than it did before they cleaned them?? what else should she check....?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Back in '68, ethyl was $.25/gallon....so 8-9 mpg you could go 36 miles on a buck.

jlstutz23

Why does your friend need her injectors cleaned?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,985
    I remember $.29/gal gas. I remember $2,000 VW bugs in that time frame. I remember bucks were harder to come by back then too :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    In the summer of '73, gas stations were having price "wars" and we were paying 19 cents a gallon!

War broke out in the Middle East in October and nothing's been the same since.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • xyz71xyz71 Posts: 179
    I remember $.15 during gas war -

That would not even cover the taxes today.

State Gasoline Taxes

*The Federal Tax of 18.4 cents per gallon is collected in all states in addition to any state or local taxes on gasoline sales. State Tax/Cents per gallon* State Tax/Cents per Gallon*
    Alabama 18 Montana 27.75
    Alaska 8 Nebraska 24.5
    Arizona 18 Nevada 23
    Arkansas 21.5 New Hampshire 18
    California 18 New Jersey 14.5
    Colorado 22 New Mexico 17
    Connecticut 25 New York 32.35
    Delaware 23 North Carolina 24.2
    Dist. of Columbia 20 North Dakota 21
    Florida 13.9 Ohio 22
    Georgia 7.5 Oklahoma 17
    Hawaii 16 Oregon 24
    Idaho 25 Pennsylvania 26.6
    Illinois 19 Rhode Island 28
    Indiana 15 South Carolina 16.0
    Iowa 20 South Dakota 22
    Kansas 21 Tennessee 20
    Kentucky 15 Texas 20
    Louisiana 20 Utah 24.5
    Maine 22 Vermont 20
    Maryland 23.5 Virginia 17.5
    Massachusetts 21.5 Washington 23
    Michigan 19 West Virginia 20.5
    Minnesota 20 Wisconsin 30.3
    Mississippi 18 Wyoming 14
    Missouri 17 Federal Tax Rate 18.4
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Thanks for the data!

And for that $.15 someone else pumped your gas, checked your oil and cleaned your windshield!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • Hi everyone,

I'm not yet a GM owner and posting for the first time.

I saw a 1999 2-door Tahoe for sale yesterday. Nice truck, but the spare is mounted inside the cargo area and there is no cargo cover nor any indentations molded into the plastic interior lining of the cargo area for mounting one (as 4-door owners have).

What's the best solution for covering the space between the rear seat and the barn doors?

Thanks, Chris
  • http://www.aier.org/cgi-bin/colcalculator.cgi

try this site......plug in a dollar amount and a date and it'll calculate it in today's dollars. Twenty-five cents in 1968 has an adjusted for inflation value of...ready for this...$1.29!

It's very interesting. I remembered my dad bought a 61 Buick (new) that listed for $5000. It was loaded for those days which amounted to little more than air, powers windows, seats, steering, brakes, 5 cigarette lighters, the biggest ashtrays you ever saw, a clock that worked about 3 months, and a 401 Wildcat engine. If you plug it in to the above site.....$29k Not exactly a bargain by today's standards.

• She said it felt like it was cutting out.. so it's still under warranty.. so she had the salesman get it and take it to the garage.. to have them check it out... he drops off s bill for $90.00 they cleaned the injectors... she says it running rough.. still... did they miss something???
  • Dealers want $100 to 125 to clean the injectors. Went to Pep Boys and purchased a bottle of Red Line Fuel System cleaner. Put in one half of a bottle (10 oz bottle for 4.69 plus tax) in 15 gallons of fuel. By the time I got near home (about 5 miles )the truck was running better with much more pep, like new.

'00 Silverado 5.3 liter 27K miles.

see
    redlineoil.com/redlineoil/si1ti.htm
    or search for redlineoil