Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe

Comments

• ianshawianshaw Posts: 119
    I heard an interesting thing from a GMC dealer this morning. I guess it is obvious, but his opinion is that the 0% financing that GM is offering is not free! There have been a number of posts on this thread which have noted that the MSRP on 03 Tahoes and Yukons have gone considerably up AND yet the vehicles have considerably fewer standard features. Also, the invoice prices on both 02 and 03's have been steadily increasing, despite the fact that the vehicles themselves have not changed and have even become less expensive to produce. If I'm not mistaken, the delivery charge also went up not long ago.

This dealer's opinion is that all these increases are being driven by the predicament that GM created when it started offering low APR financing and large cash rebates more than one year ago. If GM would have made the incentives a short-lived affair and then returned to their normal pricing and incentive structure, the company likely wouldn't be facing the hardship it is facing now. They effectively extinguished any current demand for automobiles by accelerating everyone's decision to purchase last year.

In any event, I found that to be an interesting concept. It does make some sense. For example, between the time I purchased my first 02 Tahoe (Jan. 02) and Oct. 14, when I purchased my new 02 Tahoe, the invoice price for identical models had increased appreciably. But - does anyone know if these increases are just par for the course? Does GM historically increase invoice, MSRP and delivery charges every couple of months?
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    my '02 was produced in May and sat at our local dealer until July when I bought it. It's invoice was $440 less than it should have been because of increases between that time. Raising the price of the new ones (or cutting the incentives) will help retain resale value. One reason why Hondas/Toyotas hold their value better in many cases because the rebates/incentives are usually very small.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    "the invoice price for identical models had increased appreciably"

Got any numbers on that? Appreciably leaves a lot to the imagination.
    Damn - you called my bluff! I don't have the exact numbers on that. I just threw away all the dealer trade sheets that showed me all that information. Nevertheless, I don't think the difference was more than a few hundred dollars. I also think that the price difference was on the base price and that the price for optional equipment did not increase during the 02 model year. Of course, some of the option prices did go up on the 03 model.

Sorry I can't give you more specific information.
  • caramocaramo Posts: 93
    I found it odd with the 02's that the Z71's were better priced than the 4WD LT's on the whole. More sport, less luxury, but altogether, I felt the Z71 was a much better value than a 4WD LT. Now it seems like the '03 Z71's have gone up in price more than the LT's.
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    via GMBuypower I found varying Base MSRP's. Looked like they had a couple price increases during the year of approx. $250 each. Another interesting thing that also shows up on some Silverados is a $285 option with "no description available". And this wasn't the only one I saw like that.
    I found the same thing on all the 02 Tahoes I was looking at. It turned out to be the Locking Rear Differential option.
  • blh7068blh7068 Posts: 376
    "Does GM historically increase invoice, MSRP and delivery charges every couple of months?"

It wouldn't be a surprise. I know Chrysler has done this, I have compared beginning model year to end of model year msrp, and there was an increase. Not much as far as a car purchase goes, at most a few hundred dollars.
  • Clearly the subsidized loans will effect the future value of automobiles, but wonderful deals are still out there on new Tahoes. I just bought a '03 Z-71 with a sunroof, heated seats, side air bags, XM radio(AWESOME!!!), homelink, and 4.10 for $40,100. The MSRP was $44,761. I was able to finance 100% (including tax!) at 0% for 36 months. Now how could you go wrong?

I have enjoyed this truck more than any in recent memory!
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    is more like a couple times during the model year.
  • Is anyone running plus 1 or plus 3 on their Z-71? If so what size/brand tire and wheel? Any pics? Love our new Z-71 but it looks like everyother one on the road. Have already swapped the grill (white) for a grey painted from a Silverado work truck...emblems are gone now too.
  • I have a 2002 Tahoe LS, 4WD. I've noticed that even with the climate control set to off, there is significant airflow out of the vents. Is this "normal" behavior? It doesn't matter if the climate control is set for outside air or recirculate. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • Does anyone have thoughts about the Autoride accessory? We are thinking of ordering a Yukon. Autoride is a rather spendy option. Consumer Guide says the "base suspension is more controlled and absorbent than the optional Autoride system."
  • lobsenzalobsenza Posts: 619
    We have it and I like it. Drive both vehicles and decide for yourself. I thought it provided a smoother ride. Make sure the tire pressure is the same when you compare the vehicles. In addition, be aware that the autoleveling function is much more sophisticated on the autoride suspension. It uses a compressor and immediately levels the vehicle when a load, like a trailer, is attached. The standard suspension requires about 1 mile of up and down moevement of the shocks to level. The other thing to consider is that repair costs of autoride will be higher.
  • Has anyone changed from 16" to 17" rims. I can get a good deal on Escalade stock tires and wheels and would like to know if the change would be worth it? Would be putting them on a 2000 Tahoe. Any computer changes needed?
  • cwaynecwayne Posts: 79
    I traded my 2001 Yukon SLT 5.3 for a 2003 Tahoe
    LT 5.3. I didn't even test drive new Tahoe because I assumed they were the same. This is not the case, as the Tahoe seems to be much quicker
    and has lighter feel to the steering. Also has a few goodies such as power adjustable petals,
    duel aircond. and memory seats. I liked my 2001
    Yukon but like the 2003 Tahoe much better. The only things that that I dislike about both trucks
    are the running boards which are hard to find when getting out of truck and the steering wheel vibration when stopped at red light and aircond. compressor is running.
  • You are comparing a 2001 with a 2003. Did you drive a 2003 Yukon? The components of a 2003 Yukon and the 2003 Tahoe are virtually the same. I drove both 2003 models and chose (and bought) the Yukon because I liked the looks a little better. But, they drove the same to me.
  • lobsenzalobsenza Posts: 619
    There were very few changes in ride/suspension between 2001 and 2003 with the exception of the addition of stability control.
  • cwaynecwayne Posts: 79
    Sorry I did not mean to imply that the 2003 Tahoe was different than 2003 Yukon, just that it was different than the 2001 Yukon. The reason that I bought the Tahoe is strickly price. The chevy dealer offered me $800.00 more trade-in and $200.00 closer to invoice. The dealers were across the street from one another.
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    Mine worked out in the reverse, just picked up a 03' YUKON SLT . Even though it was higher , they made me a better trade then chevy, plus i wanted the traction control.

Msrp was $39,200.00
    sale was $33,600 plus low finacing.

03' Yukon SLT Carbon metallic/Pewter leather.

DL