Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe

Comments

• txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    I took my Avalanche in today for the well-known "rattling" in the steering column. The Service Rep. said they have a new fix for it. We'll see. I don't know if it's new or he's behind the times. Won't know what the fix is 'til I get it back.
  • drejdrej Posts: 119
    Thanks, 03tahoe: Yup the Lamp bulb was grounded not to mention a failed Turn-signal switch (Multi function switch bad)and numerous other problems in the column. The air bag module was bad and wheel position senson in the column for the airbag. Some wiring was needed and all those 3 parts + rear trailer wiring bad, tail-light correction= ~ 2 day$ at the dealer. Pulling the airbag and lots of special tools was not my idea of fixing by myself but its fixed now! D~
  • biggie4852biggie4852 Posts: 37
    Dealer fix what they said was a bushing on a rod connect to the frame. The mileage was around 4000 miles also. This thing would click if you turn the wheel fully to the left. But know my problem is the driver side rear window will not go up. Anyone had this occur with their Tahoe?
  • Okay, recent purchaser (May) of a 2004 2wd LS Tahoe.

I noticed the alignment is off. But what concerns me more is that when I turn the wheel to the right; full lock, I will hear at least one or two clicking noises. Only time I've noticed is low speed manuvering and from what I can recall only turning the wheel to the right and the sound coming from the left front suspension.

So this is not an official recall, but why would this still be going on? If it's a 2004?

Any suggestions on what I can tell the service guys? I am sure it can be reproduced.

Thanks,
    Dave
  • jonnyb1jonnyb1 Posts: 32
    do a search for "steering clunk" or "klunk" you will get a lot of messages. You could have the infamous steering klunk and the dealers are all familiar with it.
  • jbgood1jbgood1 Posts: 1
    Graybo, I'm looking through all the old posts because I'm having the same issue you had. Did you find out what the cause was? I've just ordered a new switch but if that's not going to do it I'd like to know what is. Thanks.
  • dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    I had the "klunk" in the '02 which they could lube and fix for 5k miles....then back in for another lube. My '04 (so far) doesn't have the rattling "klunk" (noticable in a slow left-hand turn). It does have a new problem which is a now-and-then clicking noise I hear in a low speed left-hand turn.
  • confused1confused1 Posts: 3
    We are torn between purchasing a GMC Yukon or Chev. Tahoe. Both are similarly equipped and the dealer pricing is 500 more for the GMC...

We cannot see any real differences between the 2 cars.

Any input from this board would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
  • dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    I researched this thing to death a year ago. I concluded there was no difference except there were way more Tahoes around, and Chevy dealers were more aggressive bidding for my business. love my Tahoe.
    Thnx for the input -basically is a lot of BS that GMC is professional grade then?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    which dealer has the better service department. Rest assured, owning either one will get you into the service department for warranty concerns over the first 3years/36k miles.
    care to be more specific about the warranty concerns you expressed?
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm

and do a search on the available TSB's for either the Yukon or the Tahoe, you'll find 93 service bulletins out for the 2004 model year. Some of the TSBs are for informational purposes, most are for known defects or problems that occur with these vehicles. That is not to say all the service bulletins will pertain to your choice of either Tahoe or Yukon, but it has occured often enough for GM to issue the TSB.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    I noticed this past weekend that the 1st setting of the ventilation system does not work. The remaining 4 (2-5) work as designed. I am bringing it in on Sat for them to look at. Also, the CD player works occasionally. If a CD is in the player and you turn the stereo on and want to play the cd, you have to eject the disc in order for the player to read the cd. I am sure glad we bought the extended warranty. First the fuel pump went. Now the 1 st setting and cd player are going.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,233
    We had the exact problem last summer with the blower on our '02. I believe it was a relay that went bad. Easy fix. Dropping it off tomorrow evening for the second warranty visit in 30k miles. Have a few issues, although none add-up to much.

I've got a very light clunk in the steering when going around turns. Probably wouldn't notice it, but I drive a 4 story spiral at the airport regularly and it's rather obvious and has gotten worse over the last 10k miles. Hopefully the service tech will pickup on it and notice it around town. Has to be a smooth road to feel it, but I'd like them to fix it before the warranty is up.

Appears one of the speakers has worked its way out of the housing. Started rattling last week and I can see the speaker wobbling inside the door. This doesn't surprise me as I routinely drive a rough gravel road as a short-cut to town.

And finally, the parking brake no longer works. I've heard this is typical of these trucks, and it's actually the seperate parking brake pads that wear out very quickly. I believe that's what the problem is because I've always smelled brakes in the rear, up until the time the parking brake stopped working. The actual stopping brakes are perfectly fine.
  • sailor1sailor1 Posts: 8
    My dealership reprogrammed the two key fobs. Don't know how the tech. did it, but he seemed to know exactly what to do. When my 03 Tahoe was brand new, one of the fobs seemed to get unprogrammed. Since the tech. reprogrammed the fobs, no further problems.
    described in your owners manual. It is a DIY kind of thing.
    Well, here's my short list of problems we have experienced with my Tahoe:

Bad fuel pump - replaced

Steering column replaced due to commen "klunk" issue

Brake pads replaced at 5K miles due to squeaking

Fan replaced at low mileage due to excess fan noise.

Fan speed 1 not working (bringing in on Saturday).

CD player won't work on occasion.

My wife loves her Tahoe and up until 6 months ago, would buy another. These recent issues puts some hesitation in the thought of buying another.

Overall, it has been a great SUV.

Time will tell.
  • pmatlpmatl Posts: 6
    Has anyone had a buying experience in Atlanta recently? I'm looking at getting a '04 Z71 and just thought I'd see if anyone had anything to report on the deal they negotiated, which dealer, any research performed, etc. Thanks in advance.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,861
    Try the GMC Yukon/Chevy Tahoe: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion too.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• ndmdndmd Posts: 27
    Hi. I know very little about Tahoes, but use Edmunds for research on my vehicles often. My neighbor has a Tahoe and has a problem with a bad front end shimmy or shake. She was told by her dealer/service dept that it is a known problem with the "drive train". They said that the standard method of fixing this is to do nothing until 30K miles , and then replace the whole thing. This sounds crazy to me. Any thoughts?
    I live in metro aATL and purchased my wife's Tahoe at Bill Heard Town center. I have been very happy with Bill Heard, especially their Service Department. Bill Heard has many dealers throughout ATL. I currently use their Buford location for service. Good luck.
  • mfullmermfullmer Posts: 819
    I purchased my '03 at Jim Ellis in Atlanta (Chamblee actually). Great experience. Emailed for a couple of days, went in on Saturday and the let me have it for a few hours, came back and worked up the deal I had emailed him from my home. Very easy going and good service department also.

Bad experience - Went by Cobb Pkwy Chevrolet in Smyrna on Wednesday to look at a Malibu Maxx to replace my other daily driver/commuter vehicle. I only went there because my office is by there. After driving the Maxx I asked if I could take one on a 24 hr to make sure. They sleazy guy started working up a financing sheet after I repeatedly told him I was paying cash and had done these before with only a rental agreement being filled out. He finally got so sleazy I walked out in disgust. This was after he had already taken the keys to my Tahoe to keep while I had the car.

Now, I've taken the Hummer, a 9-3 Convertible, and the Tahoe on 24hr test drives since its inception, at no time did they require to hold my keys (My family used to own GM dealerships and my GMAC experience is extensive.) and here a Chevy place wants to hold my $46k car keys on a $26k car. Give me a break!
  • Ladies and Gentlemen,
    After extensive research I was able to get the snap/popping type noise issue fixed on my 2004 Tahoe LT (2WD). A GM repair representative was able to find a GM service bulletin to fix the problem. I took the full printout of the bulletin to my local GM service shop and they followed the repair instructions. In a half hour, I was back to driving with no snap/popping noise coming from the front of the vehicle.

The condition was most apparent during hard left or right turns at low speeds. I have the bulletin available in a .pdf format for anyone who would need it. Your GM service representative might not be able to find the bulletin but once the repair works, I'm sure they will keep it.
  • Looking for advise on what might be wrong with my autoride system on my 01 Tahoe. I have noticed that the airsystem is not regulating when the truck is started. Has anyone had this issue?
  • lobsenzalobsenza Posts: 619
    Sounds like the level sensor might be bad. Does it ever turn on like when you have a heavy load?
  • eddydbeddydb Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Tahoe and have only encountered one problem. When driving on a clear comfortable day, the inside of my Tahoe seems to get very warm. The engine is cool it’s just the interior that seems to warm compared to the outside temp. I find myself driving with the a/c on at all times. For example, today is a clear cool day here at about 67 degrees, but from inside my vehicle you would think it was high 90s outside. Has anybody else noticed this? Or is it just me?
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    Uh, no to ask a dumb question, but is your Tahoe a dark color? That might be the problem, because even if it's not really hot, the sun still bakes it. Also, as I've noticed on both our old Avalanche and new Suburban is that the non-tinted front windows allow a ton of sunlight and heat in to cook the front area while driving--even overpowering the AC sometimes. And this is with a white truck, mind you.
  • eddydbeddydb Posts: 2
    Thx for the reply. Yes, my Tahoe is Black. I used to have a black ford expedition before this one and the heat was never an issue. I was thinking of tinting the front windows......
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    Well, there's your answer. We used to have a black Avalanche and that thing could sure heat up, but our new white Suburban stays pretty cool and reflects the sun well. Having a dark interior doesn't help much either when it comes to heat. I'd love to have every window (except the windshield) tinted, but here in DE, it's illegal to put any kind of tint whatsoever on front windows--only rears are allowed and only to a certain degree.