Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe

Comments

• This is my first new car buy. It's an '04 Tahoe. I was told I have to drive under 50mph for the first 500 miles. I thought this was something of an urban legend. Anyone know for sure?
  • My 2001 LT is paid off, and we decided to keep it
    It has 50,000 miles
    I'm planning on doing the following
    Replace tires
    Pads and front rotors
    change tranny fluid

I'm gonna check the owners manual for anything else.

Does anyone have any recommendations for tires and pads?
    I think i was looking at BFG Long Trail tires
    Anyone have these or another suggestions ?
    Anything else i should think of doing at this time?
    I love the truck, and came very close to trading it in for a 2005, bascially just for the newer goodies. Has anyone done any upgrades to thier older models
    Also, I have a TV?VCR, I'm thinking od swapping out the VCR for a DVD, any suggestions
    Thanks
    Rich
  • Hi, I have a 03 Suburban and have owned an 02 Tahoe with the only trouble being the steering shaft on the Tahoe. However my in-laws purchased a new Z-71 Tahoe in 02 that they recently had the transmission replaced (60,000 miles)is this common? It sounds more and more like it is. I would be interested to hear if others are having the same problems. They drive 99 percent on the highway and towing a small travel trailer on 5-6 short trips, 19ft well below max towing weight ratings. They had the transmission serviced approximately 2000 miles before failure (loss of reverse) maybe the wrong fluid was used?
  • I need to install a trailer brake controller on my '04 Tahoe. I had a trailer dealer do this on my last vehicle, but the people there were awful, so I'm not going back. And, I think the dealer wants to charge me roughly double the cost of a unit to install it.

So, I could use any recommendations on what brand/model to buy, and whether or not this is too difficult of a thing to install. I watched the trailer dealer install it, and it didn't appear complicated, especially with the plug-in wiring adapter.

Thanks in advance.
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    Most people with '04s still do have the same steering issue, it was just posted somewhere that this had apparently already been fixed for '04 and the TSB did not cover this year....they must have been wrong, however, because it's still listed under the TSB's for the '04s and a lot of us still have the clunking/rattling issue.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    Prodigy brake controller is excellent. Easy to adjust and will increase the braking force on the trailer brakes proportionately to the vehicle braking. No big "release clunk" when you stop, either. As the vehicle approaches a stop, the braking eases up just as you do with the tow vehicle.

The Prodigy is available with the GM harness already installed for around $129 online.

Jim
  • I drove "normal" for the first 20 miles maby. Then I really stepped on it. Truck runs perfect! I once took it easy on a brand new motorcycle which didn't perform well after time. Another new motorcycle I drove real hard from the beginning - still rides strong and no power loss! You can take a look at the following. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    I'd change the plugs and wires and definitely the coolant.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,233
    Sounds as if the sun gear has gone out on their tranny. It's a problem area for these trannys, although I'm not sure it's a HUGE problem. Keep in mind there's 3/4 of a million trucks/suv's sold every year with this transmission. You inlaws might check with the chevy dealer, I've heard of them helping with the repair cost outside of warranty.
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    It's more important to vary the speed than to keep it down. I took a 500 mile trip the day after I picked mine up. Couldn't drive 50-55 on the Interstate, but I did try to vary my speed. And hopefully no sudden stops during the first 500 miles. Almost two years and 25k miles later all is good. Although I do think I could do a better job of shifting myself. :)
  • dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    thanks for the reply. . . glad to know my '04 is on the TSB even though I wish it weren't necessary.
  • My 04 yukon 4wd with 21000 miles is wearing out the inside tread on the front tires with the rest of the tire wearing well. They are Bridgestone 17 inch tires that have been rotated every 8000 miles. Also the noise from the tires is so bad that I replaced the front tires expecting to use the spare and buy one tire. I found that the spare tire and rim are 16 inch and the tire is not even the same model. Anyone else experiencing this problem.
  • davids1davids1 Posts: 411
    I have a 99 Tahoe LT. It has the factory radio with the cassette deck. For those of you familiar with this radio it has 6 radio pre-sets with the following button pattern.

1 2 3
    4 5 6

The problem I have is that the light behind buttons 1 and 4 is not working. I think ketchup got behind them. Has anybody successfully popped these buttons off without breaking them. I took a miniature screwdriver and tried to pop one of them off but it did not want to pop off easily. I did not want to break it so I left it alone. I sprayed electronic cleaner behind them but that did no good.

Thanks,
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    My Wife's 2002 Tahoe will go to the dealer (for the 4th time) during my Christmas time off to have them address this steering shaft issue again. I am very glad we bought the extended warranty since her Tahoe has almost 50K miles on it. They have lubed it twice and replaced the shaft on the 3rd visit. Not sure what else they will do.
  • Just have arrived at 13,600 miles and clunk is very apparent. Loaned the Tahoe to my brother. He felt the jarring in the steering wheel and pulled over to call me.
    I advised him that it is just another item that General Motors has NOT bothered to fix for about four years now. Anybody know how to start a class action suit on G.M. ?
    Is it too late to have a warranty repair at this mileage?
  • tdohtdoh Posts: 298
    Yeah, I hear you on that...although if you build up enough momentum while on a fairly steep downgrade so that you avoid using the gas pedal for a bit, you might get a kick out of the DIC displaying instant fuel economy as being 99 mpg--LOL! FWIW--I did manage to average almost 17 mpg off an entire tank of gas on my '04 DXL...impressive IMHO, considering that we're talking about a 6.0 liter engine here...
  • Thanks for the reminder.
    Ron.
  • The 16 inch spare with the steel rim is standard when you have 17 inch aluminum wheels. I would expect the tire to possibly be a different model because of the size difference (cost savings to GM). In the 04 sales brochure, it stated that for the 17" wheels the spare would be 16". Hope this helps.
  • I used to get that on my '02 Trailblazer. Wish it were true! The mileage on my 2 week old '05 Z71 Tahoe is better than I thought it would be for still being in the break-in phase. On a round trip to Connecticut - about a 225 mile round trip, I got about 17.3 miles per gallon. Although there was no readout for instant fuel economy, the readout for fuel used roughly agreed with the reading on the pump when I filled up.
    At 2 weeks into the ownership experience, I have to say that the Z71 is one of the best cars I have ever driven.
  • jlflemmons - thanks a lot for the response about the trailer brake controller. I really appreciate it! Off to ordering now :)
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    you are quite welcome. I mounted mine between the steering column and the console. The color even looks good with the interior, and it is easy to reach for adjustments.
  • I have a 2001 Tahoe LT with the in dash AM/FM/CD

Has anyone added the steering wheel controls from the Denali to thier Tahoe/Yukon?

I picked up a Denali steering wheel from EBAY with the radio controls ($50) I plan on removing the controls from the new wheel to put on mine (the new wheel is beige and does not have the airbag cover, and my wheel is black)

Am I optimistic to think that this is prewired?
    Its cheaper (so far) than the JP Customs kit for $200+

I also ordered Michelin Cross Terrains (265/70SR16) to replace my 50k Wilderness tires. I hope they are as good as everyone says

Thanks in advance

Rich
  • Hi: I have a 2004 Yukon and installed Tekonsha prodigy 2 months ago. You can order a GM harness which plugs directly into the vehicle's connector (a large box covered with black plastic cover in the upper left part of the drivers foot well). I mounted it where the plastic dashboard cover ends under the steering wheel. There were already two holes there on the metal support that fit the Prodigy's plastic mounting bracket.
    I got the prodigy for $99 and no tax or shipping charges from this website:

http://RVwholesalers.com/
  • tdohtdoh Posts: 298
    No instant fuel economy readout on your '05? So it is true that GM performed their well-renowned cost-saving magic again and took it away for the '05 models...
  • I don't know if "Fuel Used" was included in models prior to '05, but it seems more useful a measurement at fillup time. My readout agreed to within .1 gallons when the pump clicked off. The instant fuel economy can be entertaining - it's a laugh to think you'r egetting 87 MPG going downhill in a Tahoe!
  • I have heard a very loud noise coming from the
    front end in very tight turns, since I am new to
    the tahoe, I have no idea of what it could be.
    I would like any info possible on what could be
    wrong and general idea of cost to repair. Also
    on the knocking/ticking when cold starting, has
    anyone else had a problem with this and was it
    fixed?
  • lobsenzalobsenza Posts: 619
    I have heard of others doing it. It should plug in.
  • I have a new 2005 Tahoe LT. Is it normal for the red battery indicator to light, along with the instrument cluster lights, and the transmission indicator display, when the key in the ignition is in the accessory position?
  • When I said instrument cluster lights, I meant the back-lighting, no warning lights other than the red battery symbol.