Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe

Comments

• chrisz2chrisz2 Posts: 1
    I'm seeing several different rear end ratios (3.23, 3.73, and another) listed for 2005 Tahoes. Can anyone relate the rpm's in top gear to those ratios for me? Don't know how to calculate it. If not a conversion, then at maybe 70 MPH or so?
  • rthrth Posts: 1
    I have an 03 Tahoe LT that just developed the same problem. The window almost fell off when I showed it to the dealer. The truck is 30 months old, has 41K miles and I have a 5yr/75K warranty that the dealer and GM says does not cover the hinges or the window. The dealer said that the replacement cost would be $625 installed. I am livid! The vehicle has been back for several major repairs and I am tierd of it. I am not going to let this go. I would be interested in anyone else experiencing this problem with their Tahoe/Yukon. Let me know.

RTH in NJ
  • bungbung Posts: 2
    Ordered Edelbrock shocks for the front, today. I will take your advice and leave the back alone. Now can you fix my steering ? All the service bulletins were done to it, first the lube, then the "always on order" replacement was installed. The loose steering is back. What is the next step ? Heavier lube ? Thanks for the help---bung
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,232
    I dunno on the steering. I got lucky, mine started to rattle around 25k miles and the dealer lubed it. Never came back. I traded it out with around 40k on the clock. My '03 Silverado is starting to do it, but very very lightly now at 18k miles. I drive a lot of rough roads too, so I thought I'd have the problem more seriously.

My biggest complaint with the Tahoe steering was the over-assisted feel. You'd think for that kind of coin they'd have speed sensitive steering. I was thinking about sourcing the powersteering pump from a Police Duty Tahoe. They have a lower ratio steering and supposed to have more feel to them.
  • fjd44fjd44 Posts: 11
    I had the same problem about 2 years ago with my '00 Tahoe (48K miles at the time, out of warranty -- didn't even have an extended warranty)...

I took it to my local Chevy dealer expecting at best a 50-50 split, but was pleasantly surprised when the General Manager agreed to replace it at no charge. I hadn't even bought the truck from him but had on several previous occasions brought it to him for warranty repair after moving to this area.

There were no questions asked, no arguments, didn't even have to talk to the zone rep. I just brought the truck in -- I didn't have an appointment -- and spoke with the Service Manager, who immediately called the General Manager. The GM made the decision within minutes. Seems to me it was entirely up to his discretion.

If you haven't spoken with the General Manager, do so. If you need to call the zone rep, do that, too. I can assure you GM recognizes this problem and has -- at least in my case -- picked up the repair costs.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    GM discontinued the cabin filter after '02? Really? Anyways.......our '02 DID have a cabin filter. It can be found on the front passenger side. You will see what looks like a plastic housing in the foot well. There are a few phillips head screws to remove and the cabin filter resides in there. I would bet that all '02 models have this filter. Changing the filter increases airflow substantially. Especially if it has been awhile since the last change.

Also, $29.99 isn't too bad for the filter and labor. I think I remember our chevy dealer wanting close to $50 to change ours. Needless to say, I did it myself.
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    3.73's at 70 mph is 2050 to 2100 rpms. (hard to tell exactly on the tach)
  • tahoejoetahoejoe Posts: 3
    Arrie -- thanks for the reply -- I don't believe that I have the heat shields that you refer to since I don't seem to have any springs or the other items that you described on the individual sparkplug wires. Actually, there is a steel-looking heat shield attached to the exhaust manifold that is "protecting" Cylinders 1 & 3, 5 & 7, 8 & 6 and 4 & 2 (if I remember my cylinder placements correctly).

It would appear that at $75, the Taylor Thunders are cheaper than a "high performance" 8mm set from my local auto parts store -- I assume i can locate the Taylors on the internet and will order a set to see if they help.
  • aacukaacuk Posts: 16
    I have the same problem with my 1999 2dr Tahoe, seems as if there is a loose spot when turning.
    Have you had any luck fixing it?
    If so what was the cure for it?
  • dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    how the '06 will change from the '05? I saw three 2006 LS's on the back side of my local dealer's lot last Sunday. Prices seemed similar although none had running boards which was standard in 2005. Anything else they will take off the standard equipment list?
  • wesmwesm Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Tahoe I've driven for 7 years and love. My German Shephard puppy went nuts and chewed up the seatbelts. I can't afford new from the dealer. I can install them . Does anyone sell after market, my local salvage yard has no Tahoe belts and I want right color, blue. Does pickup or suburban belts of same year fit? :cry:
  • barney74barney74 Posts: 2
    Just recently replaced the Transfer case and have put about 1000 miles on the tahoe with the new T-case. I was driving it yesterday when suddenly the RPM followed the gas pedal and the Truck started slowing down. I parked the truck for 9 hours went out and checked the fluid and all the linkages and nothing was wrong. Started the Tahoe and drove approximately 50 yards when it did the exact same thing and would not move anymore. Does anyone know what this could be? I was thinking maybe Torque Converter! The Tranny was replaced in 2003. Help?

Barney :confuse:
  • barney74barney74 Posts: 2
    Pickup or suburban or any 1-2 years before or after will work out. Dont know about any one that sells after market. I would check more salvage yards, they shouldnt be that hard to find.

Barney
  • tahoe05tahoe05 Posts: 1
    Maybe we can help each other, I hava a 05 Tahoe, Bose system. Is their different levels of Bose systems. I want very much the DVD Nav system. Do you know if I can exchange systems with no problem. I've been on ebay looking for the NAV system. I found a few. Reading very carefully some system I've read that my system needs to be Y91, I'm sure that some code for the system I have in my vehicle.

But the answer to your question. I rented a Cad/escalade a year ago and it had the six disc changer down below the main head unit
  • kagz71kagz71 Posts: 12
    Hey, Im new here but can help with the question about putting in the Navigation system. I have an 04 Z71 Tahoe with the in dash 6-dish changer. The Navigation was not avalible then but I asked my dealer about it and they said it is pretty involved to do, perhaps the dealer just didn't feel like doing it, but then I thought it is a good amount of money so I just forgot about it, did you see what your local Chevy dealer said, that is probably your best bet.

The Nav. system is great, my wife's Envoy has it, you will enjoy it if you decide to get it.

Hope this helps

-KAG
  • Hi Folks,
    My wife and I are thinking about one of these.

Do the seats fold flat in the back so we could sleep back there? We had an Explorer and the seats didn't fold down flat enough to be able to sleep.

Thanks,
    Joe
  • kagz71kagz71 Posts: 12
    Yes Joe.... The second row folds completely flat . all you have are the headrests sticking up. However if it has the third row seat, that does not fold flat, but I do believe that you could not get a third row seat in 2000 Z71, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Hope this all helps!

-KAG
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    and even if it has third row seating, it should be removeable.
  • Thanks Guys, I really appreciate the help.
    What is the benefit of the 3.73 axle? It must be meaningful enough to be a $100 upgrade. Had an 02 with the 3.73 and my 04 has the standard 3.23. Is this something that is a plus for towing or driving off-road (I do neither)? My two Tahoes seemed identical both with the 5.3 except my 04 gets about a mile per gallon better milage around town. Is the a result of the axle ratio?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    With the 3.73 you will have a higher tow and haul rating. Same as with the 4.10. It comes down to what you need. No towing or hauling? Enjoy the increase mpg.
    The '04 has a tad more HP than the '02, so even with the higher gear ratio (lower actual number) it should feel about the same. GM went to these gears to get their MPG up a bit. It works fine for folks that don't tow or haul a lot of weight, so it sounds like you got lucky. Some folks don't pay attention to this stuff and end up with towing gears on a vehicle that never tows.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,650
    If your going to be towing more than 4000lbs or so, stay away from the 3.42s, particularly if you tow up any type of grade. I have 3.73s in my Suburban (5.3) and even though my boat weighs around 4600-4800lbs, I wish it had 4.10s. While the Suburban handles the load with ease, I definitely know the boat is back there, and when I hit the hills it definitely struggles.

If you don't plan to tow, then go with the lower ratio.
    Or if you don't plan to tow alot! Who cares if it struggles a bit if you're not towing all the time. The 1-2mpg you'll gain when empty will be worth it. I had the 3.73's on my '02 and had no problem with 4500#. Pulled that several times acrossed country and didn't really struggle. It would do 20mpg on the highway empty.

I've got 3.73's on my Silvy, but it only has the 4.8L and it's a bear to tow with. Gets bad gas mileage empty too, probably working so hard to maintain speed.

What's with the diesel name? I've got a couple diesel I pull with, both Cummins.
    I love this site. Apparently, enough people watch it to respond to almost any question. My 02 didn't have the tow package but did have the upgraded axle. My 04 has the $300 hitch but came with the standard axle. I suspect someone who doesn't know beans about cars is in the back office configuring the dealer's allotment.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    I didn't know you could order the factory hitch with a 3.42 axle.

Learn something new every day.
    I suspect someone who doesn't know beans about cars is in the back office configuring the dealer's allotment.

Happens a lot. I went to look at a truck in the mid 90's that had a huge discount advertised in the paper. Totally loaded with every possible option....except A/C. That was back when options were all seperate and someone forgot to click the A/C box :P Took me minute to realize it was missing and the salesman wasn't going to tell me that's for sure!
    I didn't know you could order the factory hitch with a 3.42 axle.

I was looking at 05 Tahoe's & Sub's the other day and every one had a tow package with 3.42s. Unfortunately, the 3.73s aren't even an option anymore on an '05 Suburban 4x4.

If you plan on towing much weight and/or tow often stay away from the 3.42s, you won't be happy.

As I mentioned before, I have a 4800ish lb boat and my '00 Suburban has the 3.73s. We just got back from towing the boat from Kansas to Lake Cumberland in Kentucky. With the boat, the family, and a weeks worth of gear, we were definitely loaded. The hills in Kentucky were a challenge, I could maintain speed but, my right foot was planted to the floor.
    What's with the diesel name? I've got a couple diesel I pull with, both Cummins.

When I first registered on Edmunds, I owned a VW Jetta turbo diesel. I learned to appreciate diesel's with that car and wish I could get a diesel SUV w/o buying an Excursion ( I don't want anything larger than my Suburban).

The new Ram Mega cab has my attention, I'd think that would make a nice tow vehicle with the Cummins.
    I've still got my Jetta diesel too. Weeeeeeee

I'm thinking the next gen of Suburbans might have the duramax, but probably only in the 3/4 tons. Still would drive a lot better than an excursion, but I'd like to see a 1500 with a smaller diesel myself. I've got quad-cab cummins, mega cab looks...big!