Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe

Comments

• I am having issues with the security system on my 2003 Tahoe. It has the 5.3l Vortec engine. It has cut off the fuel to the vehicle. I have spoken with a mechanic and he seems to think thta I have thrown the system of synch with itself. Now the stupid thing won't start. I have tried all of the things that he told me to try and it still won't start.

Any ideas?

Everything about the truck still works. Electrically it seems ok. Just won't start.

Thanks for anything in advance.

Mark
  • rmarutrmarut Posts: 8
    I do have the climate control... and do not have Onstar... Mine sounds exactly like a fan with a bad bearing. And mine seems to quiet down after the vehicle warms up... at least in the beginning... Now it seems to be loud all the time. Mine is not under warranty... I wonder what they will hit me for to replace it.

thanks to all.

Rob
  • Rob,
    My headliner fan was replaced on 3/18/03 at 15,666 miles. The total warranty charge to GM from the dealer was $79.39. My 01 YXL has the light gray headliner color. The part is called an "Aspirator" p/n 15029252, & is describled as "inside air temperature sensor".

If you're handy, I think it comes out quite easily. I checked GM Parts Direct.com for you. That p/n currently is $39.23 list, $22.36 GM Parts Direct price plus shipping. I can check my shop manual for you, for the removal & install procedure, if you're likely to change it yourself. I don't know if the small painted grill that you see is part of the Aspirator, or separate, in case your headliner is a different color.

Hope this helps,
    Dave
  • rmarutrmarut Posts: 8
    Dave,

I will be able to change it myself. I was looking at the headliner.. have not taken one out of Yukon before... but I am willing to give it a shot. My headliner is a tan color and so is the grill. I was going to try to pop it out... but perhaps I need to take the headliner out first? I sure appreciate you looking up the part number for me. That saved a ton of time at the dealership and $ and for that... I thank you! If you have time to look in your shop manual I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Rob
  • My new 2005 Tahoe LS came with Firestone Wilderness A/Ts, P265/70R16. The dealer has them inflated at 30psi. Is this the recommended pressure? I can't seem to find an answer on Google. Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks.
  • jonnyb1jonnyb1 Posts: 32
    the pressure should be on the side of the door sill and the max should be on the tire. If I remember correctly around 35-38 should be acceptable.

However, it is worth $400 to upgrade those {NOT VERY GOOD} Firestone Wilderness LE's to something better as they slide all over the place in the rain. Many people here get the Michelin's but I have put almost 50k miles on a set of Yokohama Geolandar's that have been great and fantastic in the rain and still will probably last another 15k miles.
  • Sorry this is a year late, but that was the same noise my 2004 Tahoe had. At highway speeds it sunded like sand/gravel/rain was hitting the windshield. Noise would go away when widshield was wet (rain, car wash, or windshield wiper fluid). My dealer put some kind of black colored adhesive (kinda like bathtub sealant) between the windshield and the black molding. That molding vibrates against the glass. Thats why when wet it was silent...water acted as a spacer. All noise gone since they did that.
  • Hello:
    Recently bought a 2000 Chevy Tahoe and not sure how many miles has exactly. The title says 90K, but there are no records in CAR FAX. It feels sm ooth and quiet and hope can drive it for long time.

Regards
  • When my tahoe is warm, can hear a light noise.

Could be the fuel pump and it is normally?
  • ballt4ballt4 Posts: 1
    My 02 LT has 74,000 miles and i just had the fuel sensor replaced last week after it wouldn't start at a 1/4 tank also. So i've been driving it around to see if the low fuel light is still working. After leaving it parked in my garage overnight and at 1/8 of a tank of gas it wouldn't start again. Now what?
  • I am new to this board so please forgive me my question has been asked before. I have a 2004 Tahoe LT, with 29,000 miles. I love love love it!!!! But I have a nagging rattle under my hood, it seems to be coming from the driver's side. On a smooth road there is no noise at all, but on a bumpy surface there is a constant rattle. I have looked under the hood (not that I know what I am looking at) I tried to shake things under there, hoping to find the reason for the rattle, and can not figure out what is causing this annoying noise. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what it may be?? Thank you
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,233
    Does it feel like it could be coming from the steering column area? There are a lot of problems with the intermediate steering shafts on these vehicles. Both my '02 Tahoe and '03 Silverado had the same problem. Both became annoying between 20k-30k miles. It's most noticable at low speeds on bumper surfaces, although when it gets worse you'll hear it/feel it in the column on smooth surfaces when turning.

The dealer lubed the steering on my '02 and it went away for as long as I owned it (40k miles). Just last week I took my '03 Silverado in for the same problem and this time they replaced the upper intermediate steering shaft. So far so good. Just tell the dealer your steering is clunking and they should know exactly what to do.
  • fscfsc Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Tahoe with interm wipers. The other day when it began raining for the first time in weeks, I used my wipers. Now they appear to be stuck in the on position (working continuously), even when the switch is turned to the off position. I pulled the fuse to stop them, but could this be a relay problem? Any help would be appreciated.
  • Does anyone know exactly what is needed when the dashboard warning light flashes "Service 4 Wheel Drive" (I mean besides the obvious) Do I need to change the transaxle fluid? anything else? Thanks
  • dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    I'd bet the previous poster is correct. The rattle (you can feel in the steering wheel in the early stages and audible as time goes by) is especially apparent in a slow turn at a rough intersection. For a few years they just lubed the steering column for a 5k mile band-aid, but they now have a replacement part that is a fix. It's working (so far) on mine. If all this rings true, just tell the service guy you've got a rattle you feel through the steering column. They will know exactly what to do. It's free under warranty and not very expensive if not. Good luck.
  • aa555zzaa555zz Posts: 55
    If the SERVICE 4WD message comes on, there may be a problem with the
    automatic transfer case and service is required.

If the message was only displayed briefly you can probably ignore the message.

The message on my 2002 Tahoe displayed briefly, once. It has never displayed again and I have not had any problems with the 4Wheel Drive system.

If the message continues to be displayed the vehicle will have to be serviced to determine what is wrong with the 4Wheel Drive system.

The message has nothing to do with changing the transfer case or axle fluids.
  • fjd44fjd44 Posts: 11
    My 2000 Tahoe flashed "Service 4 Wheel Drive" occasionally and then, as time went on, more frequently. I noticed the light would come on after hitting a bump or jamming on the brakes -- conditions causing body flex.

Eventually I had problems going into and out of 4WD -- seemed I had to jiggle the buttons repeatedly to make the change. But, since I rarely use 4WD, and 2WD seemed to function properly I continued to ignore the warnings.

As the message became more frequent, I did a little Internet research and found this to be a common problem, often caused by a defective push-button switch. I bought a new switch from GMPartsDirect.com (P/N 15709327, $33.94 + shipping).

After installing the switch I am able to go in and out of 4WD without problems and the warning light has NEVER come on

For more information do a GOOGLE search on "15709327"
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,562
    "GM Insists Neither Stiff Competition nor Rising Fuel Prices Will Keep It From Earning Big Profits With Full-Size SUVs"

GM's new Full Size SUVs (Inside Line)

It's being discussed in the 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon discussion.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Dave,

Did you ever ascertain if this fix can be done by a skilled do it yourselfer, I have the same problem on my 03 Tahoe and not sure if warranty will cover it

Thanks,
    Jay
  • Jay & Rob,

I am sorry that I have not gotten back to you on the removal & reinstallation of the aspirator in the headliner based on the GMC shop manual. I was out of town for a few days, & then got tied up in so many things including getting my 01 YXL into the dealer & fixed for the antilock brake recall. Mine was actuating 3 out of 4 times on normal braking.

I promise to check the shop manual tonight when at home, & let you know what it says. Jay, if your truck is still within the 3 years/36K miles, the temperature sensor fan (aspirator) should be covered by warranty. I think it must be fairly easy to replace, as the total warranty charge to GM was $79.39 for parts & labor.

Dave
  • ahightowerahightower TXPosts: 508
    4 months later, I will chime in...

I bought my Yukon XL in August. I agree their online pricing scheme was kind of misleading. They showed what looks like the "employee price", and also show elsewhere a $3,000 rebate. I went in thinking the sales price would be $3K off the employee price, but the online thing was the employee price after all applicable offers, including of course the rebate. Incidentally, the Chevrolet website showed this much more clearly than did the GMC website, as I researched both Yukon XL and Suburban. Anyhoo, still a heck of a deal, and we're very pleased with our purchase so far.
    While I don't think the GM Employee Pricing Program was any better than a serious negotiator coulda gotten in May (they lowered the rebates by half in June), it was just as good without all the work normally associated with a bottom-line buy. . .and what a nice opportunity for the average guy who hates the process to make a bottom-line buy. On the other hand, if the average guy who dislikes negotiation and doesn't wanna do his homework didn't know the value of his trade, GM dealers probably got a windfall of used cars bought at bargain basement prices. I've always heard new car sales is the least profitable part at a dealership. The used car department (along with service) is where they pay the bills.
  • Does anyone have any experience adding the safety mirrors to a Tahoe as an aftermarket item? Thanks.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    Usually the highest profit center in a good dealership is the used car department. This assumes there is a manager running things that knows his business and the ever changing market conditions. Example, used Lincoln Town Cars may do great in an older populace, but no matter how great a little Miata may be you will need a young market and good weather to move it!
  • Hello I have the same problem, I went to e bay and bought another Delco Radio and lo and behold same problem. Did you ever figure out what was causing it to quit and start again? could you share any info with me?

Thank You for any help you can give me on this

Bruce
    why GM can't get the word out about their very respectable gas milage. I had an 02 Tahoe that got high 14's around town (not bad). Traded for an 04 that upped my city average to mid 15's (better). Just bought an 06 2wd Z71. First tank, I got 16.4, mostly city driving (brand new and not its best potential milage). I compare that to my 01 Toyota Sienna (bought because of the stellar milage promised on the sticker) that never got close to the promised 19 city (best tank I got was 17.1 in town) and averaged 16.5 city driving over 2 years. love my darn Tahoe!

ps. if you follow the Sienna and Oydessy threads, eliminate the few who boast, you'll find a general agreement these large and weighty minivans do about 17 around town and 21/22 hwy. Sounds about right as they are both slightly less weighty and powerful than a Tahoe with a better highway profile. The Japanese have not figured out how to overcome the laws of physics. They've just know how to manipulate the USA EPA numbers so they can post unrealistic MPG numbers on their window stickers.

pps. my wife's 04 Lexus RX330 (very nice vehicle) typically gets high 18's or low 19's city. It weighs almost a 1000lbs less than my Tahoe and is considerably smaller. It requires premium fuel. . . 10% higher. . .take 10% off her milage (apples to apples) and it does no better dollar for dollar than my Tahoe. Interesting. Her car is considered a green SUV and mine is perceived as big gas hog. While Toyota's engineering is very good, their real strength is their PR department.
  • arriearrie Posts: 312
    Dardson,

You are the man! I agree 100 %. My '04 Tahoe LT goes 18.2 MPG with highway speed of 75 MPH. And this is very accurate tank after tank. If I drive 60 MPH I get 22 MPG. City driving is 15.5 - 16 MPG.

I had a lot of problems with my Tahoe as the gas mileage was really bad until I got it fixed by myself. The main problem turned out to be loose intake manifold bolts. I had to fix it myself since the dealer did nothing to help me during the warranty period. Everybody who makes anything sometimes makes a defective product. This is why they have warranties. In my case the dealer just is so rotten bad that they did not want to do anything. They just kept saying that "since there is no computer code there is nothing wrong".

After correcting this problem my gas mileage has been very good. I have posted a lot of my trouble.

My Tahoe LT rocks and it also is made in the USA from almost all US parts unlike some other so called US made cars and trucks.

Arrie
  • ahightowerahightower TXPosts: 508
    Just got back from about 500 miles driving, camping trip, in my 2005 Yukon XL (I know this is the Tahoe board, but the Yukon board is dead, so please accept an evil step brother). Mostly two-lane highway, 65 mph slowing down to 35 through the towns, and some slow cruising around the camping area. Just about 18.5 mpg average over the whole trip - not bad, I think. A couple hundred pounds of gear and 5 people on board. Tires were all inflated to 33 psi. Engine has now about 3300 miles on it, so I guess it is well broken in. It ran very smoothly, with PLENTY of passing power when passing. It was almost startling how quickly it got up to 85 to zip around the slow pokes. We had a great time.
  • arriearrie Posts: 312
    I'm sure nobody in Tahoe people mind if someone with a little bit more money wants to buy a GMC instead of a Chevrolet...eh eh... and post on Tahoe forum.

These vehicles are so much the same that it makes me wonder why a car company makes two different name brand vehicles when you can get all the same options on them.

Your gas mileage sounds a lot like mine.

Arrie
    another misconception: Yukons cost more than Tahoes. When I was considering a buy in May, I found a base 05 Yukon ($900+ higher base MSRP) a hundred or two cheaper than a base Tahoe when I added the options to the Tahoe that were standard on the Yukon. . . not that it matters one way or another. Nevertheless, the general perception is that a Yukon is step up from the Tahoe. They are identical except for the nose and a few cosmetics. It's much the same as the urban legend that the Japanese (Toyota, Honda, etc.) have secret knowledge that allows them to push a 2 ton vehicle around more efficiently than physics allows. For the record, I've always thought the Yukon (nose, in particular) looked a little better than a Tahoe, but, never found a GMC dealer that would get close to the price I could buy a Tahoe. As my departed Dad used to say. . . Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see. love my Tahoe!