Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe

Comments

• Thank you, I wonder why they do this ?
  • cay1cay1 Posts: 4
    It was designed for safety. When you have selected the half that has control over any of the defrost function, it doesn’t allow the interior moisture to be circulated back onto the windshield inhibiting your visibility.
  • O.K. SO IVE HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR A WHILE AND IT JUST RECENTLY STARTED GETTING WORSE. WHEN MAKING A LEFT TURN AT USUALLY A SPEED OF 15 TO 25 MILES AN HOUR THEY'RE IS THIS EEEEHHHH! NOISE UNTIL THE WHEEL IS ONCE AGAIN STRAIGHT. SOMETIMES ITS REALLY BAD AND SOMETIMES IT DOESNT EVEN HAPPEN SOMETIMES IT HAPPENS WHEN I BEARLY TURN THE STEERING WHEEL IN THAT DIRECTION. I HAVE BEEN STUMPED FOR LIKE 6 MONTHS DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Ouch! That's hard on the eyes.

People tend to ignore posts written in ALL CAPS so you're more likely to get a reply if you turn off your CAPS LOCK.

tidester, host
  • o.k. so ive had this problem for a while and it just recently started getting worse. when making a left turn at usually a speed of 15 to 25 miles an hour they're is this eeeehhhh! noise until the wheel is once again straight. sometimes its really bad and sometimes it doesnt even happen sometimes it happens when i bearly turn the steering wheel in that direction. i have been stumped for like 6 months does anyone have any ideas?
  • rkrdrkrd Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any input on this older Tahoe? It is a LT model, most everything on it, 2WD, 100K miles for around $7,000.

Would this older Tahoe model be an ok purchase?

Thank you in advance for your help.
  • I have a 1997 Tahoe. Even when the turn signals are turned off the sound continues as long as the engine is running. I have tried replacing the flasher but to no avail. I am wondering if anyone has had this problem or knows how to fix it. I am stumped.
  • I brought this up years ago when I bought my 2001 new, andiitstill befuddles me with my 2005
    Why, of all the interior dashboards little pictograms, is the pictogram above the dial for turning on/dimming the interior lights not backlit??
    Out of all the graphics on the dash, wouldn't you be hunting to turn the interior lights in the dark????

Always puzzled me

Oh well,

Rich
  • My 99 Tahoe has had a problem that I cannot find an answer to. When at operating temp., during normal driving around town everything runs fine. When you floor the accelerator there is no power and the engine just goes "flat" with no pulling power. It won't get much past 30 mph. This occurs frequently, but not all the time. Occasionally, after being driven until warm and shut off for a few minutes, it is hard to start and has no power what so ever.
    The repair shop I use has had it on the scanner with no codes produced and the fuel pressure is normal. This suv has been one of the worst vehicles I have owned with many problems with the electrical and brakes. This last problem is driving me crazy. Oh by the way, purchasing a new vehicle is out of the question. I wish it were that easy!!
  • I recently bought a 2005 Tahoe (new). On the lot, it had 20 inch wheels, which I didn't want. The dealer put standard 16 inch wheels on it. I've noticed a discrepancy between the mileage on my Tahoe and the mileage on my wife's car (a Lexus) on the same out of town trip, following the same route. Could it be that some adjustment was needed when the 20 inch wheels were swapped for 16 inch wheels? The service manager at the dealership says no, but I'm skeptical. Any advice or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,233
    If the tires are different size (overall diameter) then yes you'll need a speedo adjustment. I'm not sure what size the 20" package is, but if you post the size vs what you currently have someone can do the math for you. It would be rare to have them be EXACTLY the same size. I know there is a difference between the 16" and 17" packages.
  • I just purchased a 2003 Tahoe Lt and would love to swap the current luggage rack with the larger one found on the Z71's. Does anyone know if it can be done with the same mounting holes? Any ideas where to get one? Also where is the best place to buy the oem matte finish fender flares? Any help is appreciated, Thank you
  • Ok, I've searched through the owner's manual and can't find which fuse controls the underhood lamp. Does anyone have a manual that could tell me? The light does not turn on when I pop the hood. I first thought it was the bulb itself, but after taking it out it looked fine. I can't find my test light, so I can't tell if I'm getting power to the socket yet. I figure it's either got to be the fuse (which I can't determine which one it is) or the 'pin' is stuck in the down position, so the lamp doesn't know to turn on (which I couldn't find either). Anyone have any other suggestions? :confuse:
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    That would depend on the size of the tire on the 20" rims. Offhand I would agree with the service manager as 20" rims with 275/55R20 would be the equivalent of 255/70R16 which comes on the Tahoe.
  • Try turning on your headlights. Some of the underhood lamps are wired to the lighting circuit instead of having their own power source.
  • cay1cay1 Posts: 4
    Mine was not working also until I removed the light fixture from the hood (depress the latch on top of the assembly) and shook it gently until I could get it to operate. The position switch inside was stuck open.
  • What could be the problem with the horn on my 2001 Tahoe. It will not blow.
  • Tried with the headlights on and still nothing... I'm thinking that maybe the switch is stuck like another posted mentioned. I tried shaking the unit and nothing. I'll dig out my test light and see if I'm getting power to the switch. If so, then I'll know for sure it's either the swtich or the bulb... thanks.
  • Sounded like a good idea, but didn't work. Makes sense though... I'm guessing that the switch inside the assmebly is bad. I'm going to find my test light to see if I'm getting power there in the first place. If so, then I'll know it's either the assembly or the bulb. Thanks.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,233
    Well, if you look at how cheaply that underhood light is made you'll probably figure out why it doesn't work. I always had to shake my hood to get mine to work, it's just a piece of garbage. And they apparently were spending too much money on the junk because the underhood light was one of many "features" that disappeared after 2002. Just be thankful you have something under there to look at :P
  • jay_24jay_24 Posts: 536
    First thing to check is the fuse. The horn is usually on a cicuit by itself, so if the fuse is blown everything else would still be working. Two previous cars were that way, I'm not sure about the Tahoe. Owners manual should list the fuses and whuch controls the horn.

--jay
  • Chuck,
    My 01 Yukon XL dual horns failed soon after I bought the truck,....reason....death by drowning. In someone's infinate wisdom, the horns were installed w/ the trumpet facing upward, and collected water. The water caused the horn to either short, or corrode. Mine were replaced under warranty, and repositioned properly.

I quickly knew that (1) horn failed, when the horn on a Geo Metro was louder than my horn(s) on my truck. I checked another new truck on the dealer's lot. It's horns were twice as loud, and also mounted pointing upward. I suspect that those horns may have also failed by now. I have heard of many owners having this problem. I doubt that you have a fuse or any other horn circuit problem.

Check the horn(s) itself. Good Luck & let us know what you find.

Dave
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    As said above, death by drowning. Even the little dealer where I bought my truck said that they had almost a 100% failure on the horns from '99 forward. Some dumb-butt didn't think to specify that the horm be mounted with the bell opening pointed down.

It's the little things that get you.
  • I just bought A/T tires for my '05 Tahoe, only the tires, I kept the same rims. I still get the message about servicing the monitoring system, why? I'm living with it, but I would also like to know if it affects the gas readings if the monitoring system for the tires is not working properly? I could have half a tank of gas at one start up, then the next time I start it up, it reads empty and the DIC indicates "low on fuel." Does it also affect the mileage monitoring. It affects the mileage monitoring the same as the gas readings. At one point I could have 346 miles, next start up it's down to 283. If it does affect these two areas, will I have to have the vehicle taken into the dealership to have the sensors fixed?
  • There are MANY people who have problems with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System. It appears to be a common problem on 05/06 Tahoe/Suburbans. A friend took her new 06 Suburban in for this same issue and there were three other vehicles in at the same time for this issue. The dealership should make this right for you.

It sounds like you have more going on than just the TPMS problem though. Fuel readings should not be affected by the TPMS, unless this is a symptom of computer problems in general.

Take it to the dealership and describe the two conditions. Let them straighten it out for you.
    This is where I think GM outsmarted itself on the '05 and forward. On my '04, the indication is "Low Tire Pressure" meaning that one of the tires is low, but it doesn't tell you which one. Anybody with any sense at all will check all four tires for proper inflation. The benefit is that when the tires are rotated, you don't have the issue of placement and re-calibration. The indicator has come on only three times in two years. Two were true indications of a tire with a slow leak. The third was a case of our Texas weather doing a 40 degree drop overnight and the pressure in all four tires dropping just below the limit to trigger a fault. Based on all the problems I have read and heard about on the newer monitoring software, I think I am happy with what I have!

Happy Saturday, folks.

:)
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,013
    Anybody with any sense at all will check all four tires for proper inflation.

Don't forget the spare. :shades:

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• lobsenzalobsenza Posts: 619
    I believe the government standard for tire monitoring changed to the more complex (and accurate) system. I bet that was the reason for the change.
    Lord knows we cannot survive without Big Brother watching over us.

The spare tire on the Yukon is not monitored, but I do check it regularly for proper inflation.
  • I started up vehicle and the instrument panel went limp. All gauges are not registering so I assumed that a fuse blew but looking up schematics in the owner's manual, I cannot determine which location to replace as there is no clear title of instrument panel listed. Could this be a fuse or an electrical problem? I have a 2004 Tahoe.