Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe

Comments

• aa555zzaa555zz Posts: 55
    Look at the base (bottom) of the battery. Some are held in place by a retainer at the base of the battery. Usually a single bolt secures the retainer.
  • ahightowerahightower TXPosts: 477
    aa555zz,

Is that a permanent override? I know that if you turn the headlight switch to the left once, it will turn off the DRL's, but only for that trip. They come on again next time you start the car.

Personally I have no reason to disable the DRLs, I understand the safety reason for them. I've seen some people write that they don't like them, not sure why. Is it because they make you more vulnerable to the police? I don't think a radar gun cares whether your DRLs are on. Help me out if I am missing something to the argument.

I guess the only reason I would disable my DRLs is because every third GM pickup or SUV on the road has one burnt out. I suspect most people don't even know it, or else they don't want to pay to have it repaired. Kind of surprising that GM hasn't come up with a better design, this is a VERY common issue in my experience. So when one of mine inevitably fails, I'll try to remember the dome light trick.
  • daumpdaump Posts: 2
    Is there a PDF version of the GM shop manual that can be done loaded for a 1999 Tahoe? If so where do I find it?
  • daumpdaump Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Tahoe. Is there a rear brakes drums to disc conversion kit available?
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,232
    Having said that, if you actually accomplish this amazing feat with some cheap tuner chip and can prove the results, let me know and I'll go get one too!

Well, the GM people also have to get the thing to pass emissions. Some of the tuners I'm sure compromise this. Many also require premium fuel to get the enhanced power. I have no doubt you can add some power (slightly) and maybe some mpg (slightly) with these tuners. It's just like when you own a vehicle that's designed for premium, it has less power when you run regular fuel. It's all in the programming for the most part these days.

The only chips that make huge differences is on the diesels. I've had my Jetta TDI chipped and the power change is easy to spot and mileage doesn't really change. Gassers aren't as easy to monkey with unless they have turbo's. I've never chipped my diesel trucks, but I've driven ones that have been. Big difference.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    You may also want to check out Owner's Manual.

tidester, host
  • Thanks for the info. The reason I asked the question was because I have a friend who has a Ford Diesel and he added a chip to it. He said that it increased the horsepower and increased his MPG. I guess it doesn't work on gas.
  • dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    How true! Why on earth would GM (Ford, Toyota, or anyone else) not use a chip that pass emission rules, use less fuel, and add power? This stuff is sold to the same people who buy diet pills that "work while you sleep" (no need to cut back on the food or get off the couch) . . .and NO, I don't believe the car makers have secret fleets of powerful full-sized vehicles that get 100 miles per gallon they've been bribed by the oil companies to keep off the market. . . lol
  • I just traded my 2005 for a 2006 :) and the new tahoe did not have running boards :( so i took them off of my 05 ;) is there any issues to re installing them or should it just be a re bolt ?? please help i pick the new one up monday and my wife wants it done then :sick: :confuse:
  • feeharfeehar Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me where I could find my compartment filter and how often I should change it.
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    Just a simple bolt-on, nothing else required. All the holes are there from the get go, they just stopped having them as standard equipment on some of the latest ones.
  • Yes you need to worry about it or you'll end up like me.

I lost my reverse last week . Before, reverse would engage with a clunk. Then I was backing up one day and heard a loud clunk and lost my reverse.

The dealer says that my "sun gear" went bad and that it would cost 2600 dollars to fix. Take the truck back and get you a Toyota. Thats what I'm going to do once they fix mine!Look up this problem and you will see that there are others like me........

According to a couple of mechanics, the sun gear in the tranny is made of a grade of steel that is too weak for daily driving. I found a local mechanic that will do the job for 1000 dollars and said that he will install a gear that is of heavier material that will not fail in the future. He said if I take it to the dealer, they'l just install the same weak gear. The "not so"funny thing is , he was finishing the same job on a different tahoe....

My tahoe is an 03 with 80,000 mi....good luck

Oh and the reason why im getting a Yota....Because I have a 96 Tacoma with over 200,000mi on it and I've never have had a problem and it's running 33's !!!!!!I just changed the factory hoses and belts and the water pump......and thats it so far.....Its true what they say about Japanese trucks...They're reliable...Its too bad our own (American)trucks aren't......

A concerened consumer........
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    Apparently not all sun gears were created equal. Which is another way of saying there were probably multiple vendors. The 4L60E tranny in my father-in-laws Tahoe has 142K miles and I don't think he has even had it serviced. Then there are others that even though they are babied, crunch.

The Voyager/Town and Country minivans from Chrysler are the same way. Some will run forever on the original tranny. Then there are those like my folks who never tow anything, have the tranny serviced every 40K, and blew three of those suckers at an average of 50K miles. Shoot, one of the vans never had a tranny get within 15K of its service interval!
  • feeharfeehar Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how to resetthe remote for door locks, I replaced battery and it worked for 2 weeks and now don't work again.
  • Yes I have had the same type of cituation with my tahoe My speedo sticks at 30 or sometimes 110 no I was not going this fast. It sometimes also flips over upside down and I have to take the gauge cluster out of vehicle and manually turn the needle back to 0. The dealer says theyve replaced up to 5 last week. Im wondering why this is not a recal item. Jim let me know if youve had any problems with the vehicle not starting after its at or under half tank of fuel. My tahoe has left me walking to work 5 times but registures half tank, Once I put at least 5 gallon in the tank it starts with no problems. Ben
  • Thanks went like a dream i am sooo gald i didnt pay the dealer 2 hours of labor took me about 20 min
  • emmottemmott Posts: 1
    just picked up a 2005 tahoe, cannot fold down the second row seats, referred to handbook that came with vehicle and cannot for the button/release to fold down the second row seats. Help
    You have to pull up the tab and flip the bottom cushion forward first. Then use the lever on the side to fold the back down.
    The tab ahightower referred to is a cloth (or leather on LT) tab in the center of the crease of the bottom cushion where it meets the back cushion. Dig around a bit as it may have gotten pushed down between the two.

Jim
  • bogssbogss Posts: 3
    Anybody experienced this already i have a chevy tahoe 2001 with 55,000 miles i did change oil yesterday when i noticed that the drain plug was coated with like a milky color something and when the oil on the last drops of the oil i can see also that milky color.The cover where you pour the oil has some moisture on the walls of the plastic tube has also that milky color.Because my wife just drive it to work and about 2 miles only is it possible that it accumulated some moisture for four months.Or my head gasket blown the coolant looks ok but i'm observing it very tightly from now on.
    "Because my wife just drive it to work and about 2 miles only is it possible that it accumulated some moisture for four months."

Bingo. You can also get fuel accumulations in the oil from this situation. Take that baby out for a nice drive on the weekends and give it a chance to fully warm up and vent off the combustion byproducts that are accumulating in the oil. That type of driving is also hard on the exhaust system as condensation will build up in the muffler and cause rusting.

My wife used to drive less than four miles to work, park the car for 9 hours, then drive home. We started swapping cars a couple of times a week so the poor thing could actually warm up to operating temps. The car, not the wife.

:D
  • bogssbogss Posts: 3
    Thanks for reply that saves me at least $1500. :)
    The car, not the wife.

HAHAHA!
  • HELP I HAVE A 1998 CHEVY TAHOE AND THE EMERGENCY BRAKE LIGHT WILL NOT TURN OFF--THE BRAKE IS NO LONGER ENGAGED BUT THE LIGHT STAYS ON. A GUY FROM AUTO ZONE TOLD ME TO LOOK UNDER THE LATCH TO DISENGAGE YOUR EMG BRAKES AND THERE SHOULD BE A FUSE? I HAVE HAD NO LUCK. ALSO, THE DRIVER SIDE DOOR IS HANGING LOW AND DRAGGING AND THE PIN LOOKS BROKEN. HOW CAN I FIX THIS ON MY OWN? THANK YOU SO MUCH...
  • My 1996 tahoe drivers side mirror was clipped last night. I am wondering if anyone knows how difficult there are to replace yourself
  • While I am driving, my 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe's driver door ajar warning beeps at me, and my overhead dome light comes on. I will open my door, close it, and it will reset for maybe 5 minutes, sometimes it even resets itself. My alarm has also just started intermittently going off. Any suggestions as to what might be going on?
    Defective/mis-adjusted door jamb switch is the most likely culprit.
  • I want to get paged when my alarm goes off. Anybody know of any "paging" products available?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,448
    You may want to try asking in the Security systems (Lojack, alarms, engine immobilizer, etc.) discussion too.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• :cry: My husband has just had to replace the intake manifold gaskets and at the same time he replaced 2 fuel injectors, cleaned everything and put it all back together again with new gaskets... and now the engine starts up but "races" then dies - all in about 5 seconds. When it dies it backfires in the carburetor he can still throttle up and get more rpm but it will still die. He have checked and rechecked the timing and that is right. He is still out in the garage trying to fix it so I thought I'd get on the computer and look for help too. We have run the diagnostics and it came up with NO error codes. This all started when the engine overheated because there was no water due to a leak in the manifold gasket... (I think this is what he said....) Anyway, he is an excellent mechanic but this one has him baffled. Can anyone please help him fix my Tahoe??
    Angela - (for Gary)