Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe

Comments

• My speedo just started reading what I figure is WAY high. I have a 2003 Z71 Tahoe, with 5.3 engine and 3.73 ratio rear-end (and 17 inch wheels). Can someone with similar give me MPH at certain RPMs, so I can stay out of trouble while I decide if I want to fix this? Dealer says they need to pull whole unit out of dash, and I will be without car for a week (and out $500-700)...!

For instance, what is MPH at 2000 RPMs? Or RPMs at 70, 80, etc?

Thanks much!!
    Randy
  • ace003ace003 Posts: 4
    It has about 78,000 miles.
  • ace003ace003 Posts: 4
    The Tahoe has about 78,000 miles on it
  • jay_24jay_24 Posts: 536
    Randy this is from memory....

2100 RPM is about 70mph. Seems like 60 is around 1800RPM.

Note: I'm not sure what gear ratio our 03 LS has. We bought it used.

IF your torque converter isn't locked the RPMs will be higher at highway speeds. (about 300rpm?) I notice that on colder days (below 30F) when it takes longer for it to warm up and the torque converter to lock in.

--jay
  • mocaramocara Posts: 2
    Has anyone had there mirror switch lite on fire?
  • augstergaugsterg Posts: 1
    How do you program the tahoe garage door remote?
  • arriearrie Posts: 312
    2004 Tahoe LT:

2000 rpm 77 MPH

1840 rpm 70 MPH

1355 rpm 50 MPH

1250 rpm 46 MPH

950 rpm 30 MPH

Arrie
  • has anyone done this? my pillar tweeters are blown. Crutchfield claims there are several options to replace speakers. I have the Bose system.

thanks
  • I have a 2002 Tahoe LT w/ the upgraded stereo package. I had a third party install a new radio a few months ago, and have had electrical problems (battery dying after sitting a few days) ever since.

On my own, I noticed that when I pulled the SEO1 fuse, which controls Onstar, there was an arc...meaning a current is going through there. The vehicle is completely off at this point.

I took the car back to the installer and they said they fixed the problem, something related to the onstar adaptor.

After I got the car back, I tried the fuse again and still an arc. I think it still may be messed up, but not sure.

I was hoping someone else with a 2002 or similar Tahoe could pull their SEO1 fuse with the car off and see if it arcs. I'm not sure if that's normal or not.
  • bfeng7bfeng7 Posts: 47
    Suggest you contact Bose directly. Explain that you're a big fan, but for some reason the tweeters failed. Bose tries to be very good on customer service.
  • monica20monica20 Posts: 2
    My 99 Tahoe has a major steering problem. I thought it had something to do with the column but the worker says no. It gets stiff and then pops back to a very loose feel. Does it when you least expect it, a little scary.
  • mm450excmm450exc Posts: 37
    Sounds like power steering to me. -mike
  • tom61864tom61864 Posts: 2
    HIGH Oil Pressure.....idles around 50psi spikes to almost 70psi. Once in a blue moon engine will sound like it is knocking. There is no check engine light on or any other idiot lights. Has anyone got a suggestion here? Thanks a bunch.
  • tom61864tom61864 Posts: 2
    oh yeah and when it is driving, it runs around 70psi not idling. Also there is no oil leak, or any performance issues.
  • dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    I've got a new Tahoe (06) that I bought because I figured GM pretty much ought to have that vehicle worked out. "Xxe-jfiue" if I didn't get one with a curious problem hard to duplicate.
    Every morning when I back from the drive, turn the wheel to enter the street, and apply the brake, I get a loud pop. Sometimes it does it after I push on the gas. It's up front. Sounds like something that is out of place snapping back.
    During the day I ocassionally get the same pop (less audible) during a slow stop or when I accelerate from a stop.
    It feels like something broken in the frame and moving under the stress of a stop or acceleration. Any thoughts?
    The dealer had it 3 days and had no trouble making it happen first thing in the morning, but has had no luck finding it. Any thoughts? :cry:
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    Sounds quite similar to the crossmember issue. Body bolts is another source for that type of condition. Seems they would be obvious though that the Dealer would have checked those.
  • dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    . . .that seems to be be where they are looking. They reversed the bolts (as I recall) on some part of the steering assembly. The work order suggested they were also investigating the cross-members. Glad to know this is an issue and I'm not the only guy on the planet with this problem. Thanks for the info!
    :)
  • We bought a used 2002 Tahoe in July 03 with approx. 25,000 miles on it. Have had it to dealer for "thumping" noise when turning steering wheel. They said it was "lack of lubrication". After awhile, it started doing it again. Took to a reputable private mechanic and he couldn't find anything wrong, so lubed it again. Problem is getting worse. Anybody got any ideas what could be wrong and how to fix? Thumping is worse when turning wheel to the left. I ck'd nhtsa site and there are several other complaints there as well.
  • Oops! Guess I should have read back further in postings. Going to call dealer tomorrow re: second steering shaft problem and hopefully they will fix. This forum is really helpful. Thanks :)
  • monica20monica20 Posts: 2
    We have had the powere steering fixed. We have done all the fixing that can be done on the steering to no avail.
  • rypleryple Posts: 7
    did anyone answer this, I just bought a 2006.........
    salesman said many wouldn't work.......
  • When I hook up my trailer's wiring to my Tahoe, the signals will work for 10 minutes and then just stop working. After 30 or so minutes after I disconnect the wiring from the Tahoe, the signals resume working normally. All other lights work fine even the hazards! Any help would be appreciated.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    I tow with a Yukon. It sounds like you are triping a circuit breaker on the Tahoe. Is this something that has just started, or with new wiring? If this has been working fine until recently, check all your lights on the trailer for corrosion. If the running lights all work and you are only losing the turn signals, try the flashers. If all the tail lights flash when the turn signals won't, it may be that your turn signal flasher unit is weak and cannot handle the extra load. A clue to this would be that the tail light goes "bright" when you use the turn signal, but it doesn't flash.

If it is the flasher unit, they are inexpensive and easy to replace.

Hope this helps.

Jim
  • I've read that several others have had transmission problems with their 2002 Tahoes, so I thought I would get my problems in print too. I bought mine used with 31K and and now have 51K miles on it. About three weeks ago, as I was pulling out from a red light, I heard a big thunk, like someone had hit me in the rear. Loa and behold, I, too, had NO Reverse. We dropped it off on a Sunday at the dealer we bought it from, and they called to tell me it was the transmission. Thank goodness I purchased an extended warranty from the dealer as everything was covered but $50.
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    From my '05 Avalanche Owner's Manual.......

With engine turned off:
    1. Press and hold down the two outside buttons, releasing only when the indicator light begins to flash, after 20 seconds. Do not hold down the buttons for longer than 30 seconds and do not repeat this step to program a second and/or third transmitter to the remaining two HomeLink buttons.
    2. Position the end of your hand-held transmitter about 1 to 3 inches (3 to 8 cm) away from the HomeLink buttons while keeping the indicator light in view.
    3. Simultaneously press and hold both the desired button on HomeLink and the hand-held transmitter button. Do not release the buttons until Step 4 has been completed.
    4. The indicator light will flash slowly at first and then rapidly after HomeLink successfully receives the frequency signal from the hand-held transmitter. Release both buttons.
    5. Press and hold the newly-trained HomeLink button and observe the indicator light.
    If the indicator light stays on constantly , programming is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink button is pressed and released.

NOTE: I noticed that I have to hold the HomeLink button down slightly longer than my remote to activate my garage door.
  • This is a follow up to my message of Mar. 30. Took our Tahoe to Chevy dealer today regarding the steering problems. They told me that Chevrolet had recalled these vehicles (I wasn't notified) for the steering problems, but the replacement of the intermediate steering shaft was probably worse than the original factory installation and the replacements were going out about as fast as they could replace them. I was told that "CHEVROLET IS STILL TRYING TO RE-DESIGN THIS COMPONENT" to alleviate the problems. For $36.00 (lube kit and labor), they re-lube the steering shaft and it will probably start doing the same thing again. I was assured that this problem does not pose any safety concerns. :confuse: Okie Dokie..They're not the ones driving around in this Tahoe! So anyone out there with a thumping, clunking steering column, this is Chevrolet's fix. By the way, you might check axle seals, as they found left front was leaking and had to be replaced.
    So far, I haven't had any clunking, etc. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
  • I recently purchased a wrecked 97 Tahoe. I am looking for the plastic piece that is above the tail lights behind the windows. It look's like a vent . I don't know what to call it for a search. Also i need the code to make the radio work,but do not wanna with bother with the dealer, anyone know the answer to these questions ,or do i need to call GM. Thank you.
  • mm450excmm450exc Posts: 37
    What model years are affected by this problem. What is the part again that breaks? Any suggestions on where to get this fixed? I assume the dealer will just put in the same part which will eventually break again.

-mike
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,019
    A large newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have large SUVs but might rent a car to save on gas when going on long trips. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, April 6, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• ahightowerahightower TXPosts: 470
    You'd have to be pretty bad at math to go for this... :P