Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,914
    Interesting post - I'm in Boise but hear about Dave Smith now and then. They advertise mostly to the Washington/Oregon crowd it seems and claim to be the biggest internet dealer anywhere. Folks up north like them because they are a big employer in an economically depressed region.

I've read here that most states have laws that say dealers can repair stuff up to a certain amount and can still call the car new, and don't have to disclose any repairs. Sounds like you've found a good service department at least.

Good point about the lemon law stuff too.

Steve, Host
  • Here is what my manual say.
    The Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) system uses radio and sensor technology to check tire pressure levels. If you vehicle has this feature, sensors are mounted on each tire and wheel assembly , except the spare tire. The TPM sensors transmit tire pressure readings to a reciever located in the vehicle.

The dealer tells me different, they tell me that computer detects the wheel spin and that the sensors are located on the axle. Well then if thats true changing the rims and tires would not affect the system. Clearly the sensors are on the stock rims and tires thats why the Service Tire Monitor comes on. All these GM certified mechanics and nobody knows anything, just excuses on what they think is going on.

So from what I understand the system monitors air pressure from sensors in the valve caps and not wheel spin. The dealer says wheel spin but the manual say sensors that monitor air pressure.
  • Oooops I mean oem rims and tires to Aftermarket rims and tires
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    They definitely look different from the usual valve stem. I would suspect the manual is correct.

Jim
  • I am looking into getting an '04 Yukon SLT 4WD. However, there are two last options to decide on. 1) Off road package vs 2) Smooth ride? I don't go off road alot other than the occassional jumped curb and such. So what is better for me?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    correct the problem if you had the old valve stems installed in the new rims?
  • Speaking of TPM, does anyone know if this feature can be added very easily to an '03 Yukon/Tahoe? I assume any feedback comes through the DIC. Hoping for simply a box that plugs into a harness, monitors the tires and feeds the info to the DIC. Am I living in fantasy land?
  • wdogwdog Posts: 21
    Slsdawg - Drive both. I don't drive off road, but the Chevy salesman pursuaded me to drive the off-road Z71. Otherwise I wouldn't have even considered it. He was basing his recommendation on what I and others had told him. I much preferred that ride. It felt 'tight' while the other suspension felt 'bouncy,' or as the salesman said, 'boat like.'

I've looked at a lot of cars this year. Most were more expensive, yet that was the I loved. I'd order it if GM offers a Navigation system for the Tahoe later this year. I've read too much about the low gear noise to get the Denali or Escalade, which have navigation, now. Good luck in whatever you choose.
  • ezraponezrapon Posts: 348
    The local GMC dealer is now discounting their last 30 Denalis $13,000 I remember when I got 10 grand off mine in Sept the salesman said they'd not discount them anymore if I waited. I wish I'd waited. Doesn't the nav system require a subscription to a satellite service of some kind? I passed on it because of that and I won't use this gas hog for traveling. I filled the 6.0 with premium this week (as gas was down to 1.23)I didn 't notice any performance or mileage gain. I also got a card from GM to fill my wife's Yukon with 30 bucks worth of 85% ethanol, any one else get this yet? Anyone try it? I assume it's only for the 5.3 and would screw up the 6.0. Too bad, there's a station right up the street that sells the corn oil.
  • Can someone tell me if there is a permanent fix for the steering wheel clatter problem, or will I have to run My 2003 tahoe in every 6 months or so to get it handled?
  • A few weeks ago someone wanted to know why some Tahoes have a higher rear ride height than other Tahoes.

The rear ride height is determined by the type of rear shock absorbers that are used on the vehicle.

The 2000 and 2001 Tahoes were available with one of three different shock packages; conventional shocks,, manual self-leveling shocks,, and the autoride system.

Beginning with model year 2002 the conventional shock package was dropped.

The Z71 model Tahoe has always used conventional shocks.

Tahoes equipped with the conventional shocks will have a higher rear ride height. This is because the rear springs used on these vehicles are taller (and possibly stiffer.)

Conventional shocks, unlike the manual self-leveling shocks and the autoride system, will not help the springs support the weight of the vehicle. The rear springs used with conventional shocks are probably taller to help compensate for heavy loads and towing.

Interestingly, the rear springs used on a regular Tahoe equipped with conventional shocks are the same springs that are used on the Z71 model Tahoe.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    Also note that a different spring load is used if the third seat option is ordered on the Yukon.
  • jay_24jay_24 Posts: 536
    I don't hear any clunk noise, but the steering has slight clunk feel when turning corners. Almost like it was a bumpy road, but yet the road is smooth. Is that the same steering issue others have run into?

--jay
  • Hello,

I'm thinking about buying a black 2004 Tahoe Z71 and I wonder if anyone can answer a few questions.

1. What changes/modifications should I make right away? I believe I'll be getting bigger/better brakes but what else needs to be done?

2. I really like the look of the GMC Yukon Denali with it's all black appearance. It there any way to replace the gray and flat black moldings on the Z71 with either the ones from a Denali or something similar? (I want the features of the Z71 but I also want it to be totally glossy black if possible)

3. Can anyone recommend a place that does good modification work (appearance & performance) on Tahoes in the Southern California area?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    does have the monochrome treatment.
  • The Z71 package is MOSTLY monochrome.

When you get a Black Z71 there are grey portions in the lower front, back, and along the sides.

These are the portions I want to be the same glossy black as the rest of the vehicle.
  • it is a "clunk" feel more than a noise and I am afraid all our Tahoes/Yukons have this problem. It is an quick fix every six months though.

Intermediate Steering Shaft: they take it apart, tighten it and lube it. They say the are only lubing it but they have to be tightening it too as your steering is so much tighter after they do it.

I just bought a used 2002 Tahoe and it needed the fix. How much will this fix cost every 6 months once my warranty pops at 36k miles?
  • dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    about trading too much, I can't find a decent reason to move out of my '02 Tahoe. In spite of the hard-to-understand steering clunk that has to be addressed every six months, my 2 year old Tahoe still drives like new.....no problems, no rattles, and I'm consistently getting 15mpg around town in my 2WD 5.3V8. I almost hate it I can't get up my blood-pressure for a new one. I'll definitely buy before they re-invent it, whenever that comes; but I'm very impressed with my truck after 2 years.
         I could get excited if anyone can tell me they've solved the steering clunk problem which is the only issue I've had. I've got $2000+ in GM card credit. I live in a region with a $3500 rebate. Golly darn. I feel all dressed up and no place to go. It's a good problem to have....lol. Love my Tahoe.
  • lobsenzalobsenza Posts: 619
    I have an 01 Denali XL with 46000 miles and never noticed that problem. I have had others, but not that one.