Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe

Comments

• txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    I don't understand why they use that lighter gray lower valance on everything. It doesn't match anything! One of the things I always liked better about the Sierra over the Silverado is the matching trim. Wish they would NEVER put that new Silverado front end on the Tahoe, but I s'pose it's coming.
  • Information for anyone who wants to replace the manual self-leveling rear shock absorbers on their 2000-2004 Tahoe/Yukon with conventional shock absorbers. I have 2002 Tahoe. I replaced the original equipment shock absorbers with Bilstein shock absorbers.

When I replaced just the shock absorbers, the rear ride height of my vehicle dropped approximately 1 1/2 inches.

To prevent a drop in the rear ride height the rear springs need to be replaced. You have a couple of options if you want to replace the springs.

Bilstein sells the springs. Their part number is 199021. They were selling for $57 each when I priced them. That did not include shipping. I do not know if Bilstein makes these springs or if they just sell you a Chevrolet spring.

You can also use the rear spring that Chevrolet uses on Tahoes that come equipped with conventional shock absorbers. The part number is 15182559.

My Chevrolet dealer was selling the spring for $64.01 each.

You can also buy them online at places like:
    www.gmpartsdirect.com/
    www.buy-gm-parts.com/

I purchased my springs at www.buy-gm-parts.com for $37.72 each. Shipping to my home was $11.31.

gmpartsdirect.com was selling the springs for a cheaper price, however, their shipping price was higher.

After replacing the rear springs the rear ride height of my vehicle was approximately one inch higher than the stock ride height.

The biggest difference that I noticed with the Bilstein shock absorbers is better handling around curves.

If you do the work yourself, use caution when removing the self-leveling shock absorbers. They are highly pressurized. They will want to extend to their maximum length. Do not get your fingers or hands crushed between the extending shock and any fixed object.
  • Hey Guys (and Dolls)
    Recommend me a tire to replace my factory tires on my 2003 Tahoe LT. I dont want to spend a fortune, but I cant stand the "Floaty-Boaty" ride I get now with the cheap Firestones Chevy equips this vehicle with. Maybe I should have bought the Z-71? I want the tight ride..not the feeling Im riding on marshmallows? Anyone out there know what I mean??
  • I replaced the Firestone Wilderness LE's with some Yokohama Geolandar HTS and the ride is much tighter and it doesn't slip in the rain anymore!
  • Not sure if they make them sized for the 'Hoe, but I've been very happy with a set of Michelin Cross Terrains on one of my vehicles.
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    I just dumped the original 265 70 16 Firestone Wilderness LE's and went with 275 70 16 Michelin LTX M/S. It is hard to explain - but this one size of LTX M/S is different than the other sizes. It is almost a blend between the normal LTX M/S and the new Cross Terrain. It was the original tire that went on Toyota LC with 16 inch wheels. I priced them at Sams - Discount tire matched the Sams price plus gave me a $50 rebate. Total price out the door $623.00 including 8.25% tax.

I also looked at the Yokohama Geo HTS, but in the larger size I wanted it was only a few $ more for the Michelin. If I would have stayed with the 265 70 16 - I would have went with the Yokohamas.
  • for $410 (($350 + $60) from Tirerack.com. Another $40 to get them put on and balanced at my local shop.

I can't believe these tires were so cheap, much cheaper than the Bridgestone Dueler HT's and way much cheaper than the Michelin Cross Terrains with the same performance. Perhaps Yok is pricing them low to steal initial market share.

I used to pay almost $750 for the Michelin Pilot Sports for my BMW...that was pricy every 25k miles but the tires were awesome.
  • I vote with Z71 Bill. I got Big O to Price Match Costco on Mich LTX M/S 265/70R16 Load Range E. Good ride, Good grip, front end doesnt float at much on water. About $650 price matched. I had them on my Burb and kept them rotated, and no funny "your front end's out of alignment" type wear. You want to pay attention because the Select LT at Sears has a lower treadwear rating than the Michelin branded LTX's. It looks close to the same tire but I believe treadwear was about a 100 points lower. Check the MFR's web sites, because Michelin gives you 50 bucks off, or free schwag every now and then.
  • gator36gator36 Posts: 294
    Tahoe z71, I had the Geolander AT's put on it,

These aer wonderful tires. Dirt snow, water, they are excellent. 40,000 miles and counting. Regular rotations and about half of the tread life is left on them.
  • ianshawianshaw Posts: 119
    Does anyone have any idea on the percentage of Tahoe's that are effected by the piston slap problem? I have heard that it is a relatively low percentage - but I wanted to confirm that.

Also, does anyone know how soon the problem usually becomes apparent? My Tahoe has approximately 15k now - would the problem have already shown itself if it is going to?

Thanks!
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    Mine started at 18k miles (only when it was cold) and I could only hear it from outside the vehicle for about 15 seconds. Then I took a long trip towing a trailer and now it doesn't do it anymore. Have about 25k miles at this point. I'm not concerned, I had a 2.7L Toyota Tacoma that did something similar and I recently seen the guy that bought my truck and he has over 200k miles on it. It's supposed to be common on those engines as well. I guess the difference is a $18K sticker price and a $40K+ sticker, but it's still just a machine:)
  • lobsenzalobsenza Posts: 619
    I have personally driven a vehicle with skid control through a wet course of cones. I drove the same vehicle through the cones trying to maintain the same speed with the skid control off. What an AMAZING difference the skid control makes. It definitely can save your life. Yes, there is a risk of a malfunction. But, there is electronic testing that tests the system and disables it if there is a problem (in addition to putting on an indicator on the dash). Skid control is probably one of the most important safety advances in years.
  • My friend got into an accident with his 02 Tahoe last week. He wasn't injured and he was the only one in the car. The other car was 01 TL. Now he has raised the bar on his safety and is never buying a car without side-curtain airbags for all the rows of whatever he buys next. Will the Tahoe/Silverado/Suburban/etc. ever have side-curtain airbags?? They already have a bad crash test rating as it is!! Hopefully, the 05 ones will have them..
  • ezraponezrapon Posts: 348
    they have a poor safety record hitting a fixed object, in which case side curtain airbags would be useless. Their weight works against them against fixed objects, however, in the real world where we normally hit each other, give me one of these big boys anytime anyday.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    I guess it depends on how you plan to wreck. As far as two-vehicle accidents go, a Tahoe is pretty safe. If you're like a lot of dum-dums on the road and are involved in a single-vehicle SUV accident (like a rollover) then they aren't the safest things. If I'm going to run off the road and hit a tree, I'll take my Audi or VW over the Tahoe anyday. Too bad you can't pick your accidents.

I think a lot of the safety features that have been available for years on $40k cars should certainly be available on a $40k truck by now.
  • gaf3gaf3 Posts: 4
    I exchanged the standard Firestone 265/70/16's for a set of brand new Toyo Proxes S/T's (275/60/16) from a dealer that I know in Toronto, on the same day I took delivery of my Yukon. The Toyo's fit the OEM 16" rims.

I paid $400 Cdn extra on the trade. Even though the overal diameter is smaller than the OEM's, the effect on the speedo and odometer were neglible.

The Toyo's handle so much better than the Firestones, with more grip (especially in the rain) and steering feel.

For winter, I put on a set of Nokian WR's 265/70/16's (snow tires designed especially for SUV's).
  • I am in the market for a 04' Yukon Denali. I currently own an 02' Yukon SLT. I seem to trade my vehicles every 24 - 30 months. The fact that the rebates are very strong I am tempted to make a move on an 04'. The thing that scares me is the potential for GM to re-design in 2005?

Love to hear anyone's insight on potential re-design strategy. If it were 2006 I would likely pull the trigger this year. It seems that every 5th model year GM makes the move. If memory serves me correct their last major re-design was in 2001? Can anyone help w/ share some insight on GM Yukon/Tahoe re-deisgn for 2005?

I am hoping that if they do decide to re-design it is not aligned w/ the current Silverado front end which is not turning any head's these days.
  • I'm taking delivery this afternoon on my new '04 Tahoe. I'm replacing a 2000 Durango that had more than its share of problems. I'm looking forward to reading and contributing what I can to the forum.
  • Anyone who has any insight on when GM will make the move to re-design the Yukon / Tahoe I would love to hear what you have to say.

I used to live in Michigan and would always hear advanced news on re-designs and updates. Now I live in PA and feel like I live a vaccum related to automotive news.

Please jump in here if you have any knowledge (GM Yukon / Tahoe re-design timing).
  • Next redesign is schedules for 2008. Yea, it's far away........