Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe

Comments

• Anybody tried one of the following to improve mpg?

- Sun Automotive Hyper Ground Cables

- HKS Circle Earth System

- Tornado

- Spiral Max

- or anything like it
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    I routinely get 18-20mpg on highway trips with my '02 Tahoe 4x4 with 5.3L and 3.73 gears. The lowest tank I've ever had was 14mpg and that was pulling a trailer acrossed country. Generally I average (say 20% townish, 80% highway) around 16-17mpg. I run 70-75mph on the highway.

Around town mileage will most be effected by how much sitting you do. At 0mph, these vehicles get 0mpg, LOL! This is where big V8's get thirsty because they require more fuel to idle, so the city mileage will be effected substantially.
  • dadoftaydadoftay Posts: 136
    Thanks everyone for the input!!! I was in my GMC dealer getting my oil changed the other day and asked him about true MPG and he said the 5.3 actually will get better highway mileage than the 4.8. He also said that the Tahoe would definitely get better mileage than my van due to aerodynamics and a motor with new technology. Maybe more power=less work from the motor=better mpg? I guess the set up is a 2WD, the lowest gears available and stay shy of 80mph. Again, thanks to everyone for the info.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Maybe more power=less work...

No. More power = more work. (Multiply Power times Time to get Work).

Any energy saving would have to come from other factors such as engine efficiency or aerodynamics.

tidester, host
  • I have the 2wd Yukon, with the 5.3 and 3.73 gear. Can't say what you get for town miles, because I have never ran enough of them to know. I do know that I get between 17-18 for highway mileage driving between 65-75. When I get above 80, the mileage drops considerably. Wind also plays a big factor in mileage for these vehicles. You have no control over it, but a 15 mph head wind will kill your gas mileage. I did get 26 mpg one time at 70 mph, with a 20 mph tail wind, but when I turned around and came back later that day, it averaged out at it's usual 17.5.

Mike
  • dadoftaydadoftay Posts: 136
    I'm with you on that wind factor. My Safari gets pushed around by the wind like a nerd at recess. All of my driving is open highway and I've had those trips up getting 20mpg and going home getting 14mpg. I guess it happens with most cars. Being in sales I would rather have the comfort, size and yes the prestige of having the Tahoe over my cargo van(yeah, I know, duh).
  • dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    I have an '04 2wd Tahoe with the 5.3 and standard axle. I'm delighted to get 15+ around town and close to 20 if I drive the speed limit on the road. I tried a PC Toyota Minivan (01 Sienna) that promised 19/24 and got, real world, 16/21. Pound for pound, I think these big Chevy's are very fuel efficient. My '98 Expedition did well to get 12 around town and 16 highway. love my Tahoe
  • My dealer sent me a letter saying the intermediate steering shaft for my vehicle was in. I have an appointment scheduled for 12/30/04. Hopefully this will cure the steering clunk forever.

The dealer said that the part(s) for some customers are still on back order. From what I was told the part(s) are ordered by date of the complaint. So unless you bring it to their attention they will not order the part(s). The part(s) that come in, that were ordered when you made your complaint, will be your part(s). This may not be the case for every dealer.

I have an 02 Z71 Tahoe with 27,000 miles, and this is still the only issue I've had with this vehicle. I will let you know what difference this fix makes.
  • I have a 2004 Tahoe with the flex fuel 5.3. This vehicle doesn't have near the get up and go around town as my 03 suburban did or 99 pickup, all with the 5.3l gas engine. The dealer says there should not be any difference in performance. On the highway is fine, where's the get up from the stop lights I'm used to?
  • Are you sure that you have the same rear axle ratio?
  • Thanks, I look into that, the 99 was 4 wheel drive, I had assumed the 03 suburban would have the same ratio as the new Tahoe but I'll have to see if they are the same.
  • I have a 03 z71 tahoe with 50,000 miles on it. I have had a problem with the it starting up when the tank is below half. The dealership has done everything for changing the relays to replacing the fuel pump and the components involved with that in the tank. The last time the vehicle was in for this problem was when it had 32,000 miles and at that point they replaced the fuel pump. And today i had it towed to the dealership again. I had an 01 z71 tahoe and never had this problem. Is anyone else having this same issue.

Also I'm being told that since the pump was replaced under warranty that i will have to pay for a new one if that is needed. Anyone have a suggestion on how i can approach the dealership or Gm on this issues since this is the 5th time it has been in for this problem?

thank you
  • I took my Tahoe to the dealer today. The intermediate steering shaft was replaced with the "new improved" shaft. It took about 1 hour and 45 minutes. Service department was very good about it. I can really notice the difference. The steering is tight and not one bit of noise. I hope this cures the problem for good.
  • I have an air leak coming from under the dash on the passenger side it get pretty cold driving down the freeway. please help
  • My 2000 Tahoe needs a intermidate steering shaft replaced,its the second one, But its been back ordered for 3 months now,the dealer say he has no clue when its coming, Any body else with this problem? Is there a hidden warranty on this?
  • My Tahoe has the same condition, I use the resurculate button on the dash,that seems to do it.
  • pmatlpmatl Posts: 6
    I have a '04 Z71, 5.3 V8, with 7500 miles on it. I've seen some messages about a "cold start knock", but my engine only seems to have the noise when I'm cruising at approx. 70 mph. It sounds like a little clicking/knocking noise and I think it's basically been there since I got it new this summer. Anyone notice this in their Tahoe or know what it is/if it's fixable? Thanks.
  • In the manual, it tells you how to disable the SEC message on the radio, so that with a power interruption, it doesnt have to be reset.
  • The steering shaft for my Tahoe was ordered in October and I got a letter from the dealer in December. It was installed December 30. The service dept. advised me that when they first started getting complaints of the steering noises they were instructed to replace the steering shafts. I don't know what length of time they were talking about and they were replacing them with the original part number.

Then they were instructed to repack the shaft with grease, which is what some owners here have had done to their vehicles.

Apparently those two fixes didn't permanently eliminate the problem. GM is now instructing them to replace the steering shaft with one that has a different part number, indicating an improved/different part.

My part was also on back order. A friend has a 2003 Silverado that he bought from a different dealer, his part is still on back order. He had a 2001 Silverado which had the steering clunk and had the steering shaft repacked with grease, the noise returned.

This is a common complaint for these trucks so I don't think it should be a warranty issue. If they replaced the steering shaft once, chances are that it was not the new part, thus the problem continued. You shouldn't have to pay anything for the repair.