Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe

Comments

• jmogajmoga Posts: 1
    Well on my way home, my 2002 Tahoe that has only 42000 miles on it, had a really bad sound. Transmission issues. The dealer says I have the 100k warranty on my vehicle, so I'm hoping that the Transmission is totally covered under that. We will see.
  • Hi Guy
    You most likely have a speaker grounding out.The power amplifer will open to protect your audio system.Check the speakers over the barn doors or tailgate first as these are the most likely ones to give trouble .

Good Luck
  • I'm looking at getting a 2002 or 2003 Tahoe (probably '02). I'm new to this site but I read through many of the reviews. It seems that the '02's have potentially had some tranny problems? Do you guys think the problem is significant enough for me to stay away from the '02? Is the '02 a good vehicle? I was also looking at a 4Runner but I like the Tahoe better. I need a good 4X4 for the snow and to haul my dog around.

Also, what is a common warranty on these, 36K?

Should I be going with the LT version?

Thanks guys.
  • dfhsahdfhsah Posts: 1
    I started having this problem today. Have you found a solution to the problem? If the problem was fixed, did you have it fixed by the dealer?

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks!
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    I would say the newer the better as far as problems go. The later in model life the less bugs to work out. That goes for most any vehicle. I don't think the '02 had more tranny problems than any of the others. There are some problems with the sunshells, but it's not epidemic or anything. There are millions of these trannys on the roads (it's the same tranny that's in every chevy 1/2 ton truck/suv) so if there were major problems you'd know about it.

LT vs LS vs Z71? Depends on what you're looking for. An LS can be equipped somewhat similar to an LT at least during the years you're considering. I had an '02 LS with cloth seats. Mainly because I needed a bench seat up front and it only came on the base model with cloth. You probably don't need the 3rd row so you might be more likely to find one in an LS. Z71 has more aggresive tires, less chrome, and a more conventional suspension.

3 years/36k is all GM puts on their vehicles. Won't be much if any warranty left on any of the years you mentioned. Might look for a private party that is selling that bought the GM extended warranty. You should be able to transfer that into your name for very little money. Plus you can typically get a better deal buying from a private party. I'm not a big fan of extended warranties, but I did get one once when buying from a private party. Transferred a 100k miles Toyota warranty for $50. I'd only look at the extended warranty if it's through the manufacturer. I'm not a fan at all of non OEM extended warranties either. They go out of business too often and take your money with them.
  • sebring, thanks for the help. I won't stress over the tranny then. I guess I'm not real sure what the main differences between the LT and the LS. I originally thought the LS was 2 wheel drive but I see that it can be 4x4 too.

I'm going to pick one up cheap from a professional auction. My buddy owns a dealership. I saw one yesterday go for $12,500 at auction (leather, 4x4, 50K miles). I can't afford not to get one at that price!

Either way, I doubt they'd come with extended warranties from the auction?

Thanks again.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    A buddy with a dealership - that could get dangerous. How many cars will your garage hold? :-)

Lots of info in the Extended Warranties discussion too. The standard warranty on the '02 is 3/36k. (link)

Steve, Host
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    Either way, I doubt they'd come with extended warranties from the auction?

Not likely. It usually can only be transferred from the original owner to the next owner. In this case, the next owner is the dealership that's running it through the sale. Your buddy (if he's a GM dealer) might be able to get you a decent deal on an ext. warranty. I think you'd need to find a Tahoe with at least SOME factory warranty though. That might be hard to figure out at an auction.

LS is the base model. LT just has more options standard. LT & LS can come in 4x2 or 4x4 and have either 4.8L or 5.3L V8. Based on my experience, the 4.8L isn't worth bothering with. I've had both and have no intention of ever buying the 4.8L again.
  • Is it possible to get bucket seats with a 1/2 console, so that you don't have anything on the floor between the 2 front seats? Thanks.
  • lf398lf398 Posts: 1
    I need help from other tahoe owners. I have a 2002 tahoe. Has electronic climate control system, BUT, I never put the mode to "auto" on either the mode knob or the fan knob. When I put my heat on, I put the temp knob at about 78, fan blower in the middle, and the mode to bi-level (floor, dash). I get warm heat for a while, then it starts blowing cold. Been into the dealer MANY times and they keep telling me that is how it is supposed to work with climate control, but shouldnt that only be if I use the AUTO mode settings? Help - someone explain how the heat is "supposed" to work!!
  • I have just purchased a 2000 Tahoe and I am having problems with the two buttons on the dash that damper the re circulating air damper or bring in air from the outside. Right now it seems to be stuck in the outside air position. When I push the button for recirculation it blinks for a second and then returns to the outside air setting. I am looking for a solution. So any suggestions are appreciated.
  • cay1cay1 Posts: 4
    Rotate your vent selection knob CCW slightly so that it doesn't point directly at the lower vent selection.
  • Hi, I am new here

I have a '05 Tahoe with the stock 1 disk cd player and saw the 6 disk changer radio on ebay, is it just a plug in that will work or is there more to it then that, will the radio controls on the stearing wheel work with the 6 disk and will ON Star work, I would also like to inqure about rims and tire packages, i would like 20-22" rims with a level kit has anybody done this, i am getting bored with the stock look of my truck i am in the houston are if anybody knows of shops that do a good job with the tires and wheels

thanks
  • Hello all,

Have a 2001 Chevy Tahoe that was purchased new. The first set of Firestone tires wore choppy even with rotation and balancing every 5000 miles. Replaced after 20,000 miles. Neither dealer nor firestone would step up to replace. Not their issue each said.

Got new set of tire and had wheels aligned. Rotated and balanced tires every 5000 miles, but still wore choppy. Replaced after 30,000.

Replaced all shocks, pitman and idler arms before purchasing third set of tires. Got alignment with third set. Tires still wearing choppy.

Anyone having this issue? Any suggestions?
  • Yes - I have the same problem. Bad engineering I guess. In winter time once the car is warmed up and I select 82 it will blow cold hair - if I turn it all the way (hot) it will be way too hot! So I just set the temperature and everything else to AUTO. That's seems to work.
  • I have a 2005 Yukon with 2nd row Buckets. A Suprise new addition to the family (There will be 5 of us total) is coming and looks like the 2nd row bench is a lot more practical than the 2nd row of buckets.
    Can a standard bench be ordered and installed?
    Does anyone make a 'filler' that will make the buckets more like a bench??
    Otherwise I might be trading up to a XL
    Thanks

Rich
  • arriearrie Posts: 312
    I have a bench. Would love to have 'captains'. My color is tan...

Arrie
  • Hello all,
    I have a 2001 Tahoe and have not had any problems with it. Lately it is hesitant to start promptly. It used to start right up on the initial turn of the key. Now I have to turn the key two or three times to start it. I have changed the fuel filter and the air filter but it still does it . Can anyone tell me why?
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    Mileage? Could be plugs or plug wires, or, if your locale is seeing the same issues we have had here with a particular major brand of fuel, poor quality fuel.